Scorn For The Worst Neighbor In The World

by admin on October 18, 2010

About ten days ago a news story broke about neighbors so heinous they engaged in taunting a dying 7-year old child to retaliate for what allegedly began as a perceived etiquette slight.

Published : Thursday, 07 Oct 2010, 11:56 PM EDT

Trenton MI

myFOXDetroit.com Staff – Her family says 7-year-old Kathleen Edward is in the final stages of a degenerative brain disorder diagnosed as  Huntington’s Disease – the same disease which killed her mother, Laura Edward, when she was only 24.

Neighbors Jennifer and Scott Petkov, who have been feuding with the family, admitted to posting grim depictions of Laura and Kathleen on Facebook.  One photo depicts Laura in the arms of the grim reaper, while the other features Kathleen’s face as part of  a “skull and crossbone.”

The couple hitched a coffin to a pick-up truck in front of the house,  which they say is nothing more than a halloween decoration.

What compels supposedly mature adults to taunt a dying child? On the news video, which readers should watch, Jennifer Petkov rages,  ” Because it burns Rebecca Rose’s  ass raw for me to make fun of her dead daughter on that page.”    And why exactly is it imperative for Jennifer Petkov to make sure the grandmother of the dying 7-year old Kathleen Edward gets her backside suitably chafed?   Police told the news reporter that they have been called to this street before, dealing with long-standing “family-feud” issues:

A member of Kathleen’s family says the bad blood started about two-years ago after the two families had a falling out over a birthday party at the Rose house.  At the party, kids were using a “bounce-house” and playing games in the front yard.  The source says that Jennifer Petkov texted someone in the Rose family, asking if her kids could come to the event.  A response to the text did not come quickly enough and it angered Jennifer.  According to the Rose family, she’s been harassing them ever since.

Awww, how awful!  Jennifer Petkov’s kids were not invited to a party and lest they endure the tragedy of this deprivation, Jennifer tries to get them invited anyway and when her entitlement expectations were not met, she begins a campaign of harassment to punish her neighbors using a deceased mother and dying 7 year old as her weapons in her warfare.  Anyone who has known me or read my writings over the years knows how profoundly deep my disdain is for adults who use children as props in their little battles and machinations.   I can’t control the sneer of disgust that is on my face as I type this and my mental daydreams of horsewhipping Jennifer Petkov are hard to suppress.

Once the story made the news, the public reaction was swift and hard against the Petkovs.    Faced with a world solidly against them, as well as unfortunate death threats against them, the Petkovs issue an apology:

“And to that little girl, I apologize if you’ve been hurt. There’s not much more I can say. And hopefully we can live our lives peacefully from now on.”

Scott Petkov also said he was sorry earlier Friday.  “We apologize for our actions and stupidity.  It was an ignorant thing that we did and it was basically in retaliation about things that were said about my house and my wife.”

Oh, Jennifer.  You should have been reading Ehell for the past few years.  You would have found out that apologies with the word “IF” in them are not valid apologies at all.   Especially the kind that end with “if so-and-so was hurt/offended”.  There is no ownership of the wrongness of the deed and therefore no real regret expressed.    Scott Petkov at least does take ownership of his actions but then somewhat negates it as being justified in defense of his house and his wife.

One lesson readers could take away from this story is that there is no such thing any more as a “little neighborly feud” in this age of cell phone cameras and rapid information dissemination.  Really botch it up and the entire world can know the depth of your idiocy within minutes.  And it will live on FOREVER in news archives online.

Mom2PBJ October 18, 2010 at 6:47 am

I read this story and the follow-up that states that the Husband lost his job over this. I do believe the wife was arrested for something unrelated to this. I feel sorry for their son. He’s just an innoncent child who is learning the ways of the world from these people. Hopefully he will learn really quick that this is not the way.

Mechtilde October 18, 2010 at 6:55 am

Hmmm. What an “apology”. Why do I suspect that it has only been proffered because these people have, quite rightly, been internationally villified in the media?

Whilst there are always two sides to any story, I cannot possibly fathom any reason which could possibly justify subjecting a child with a terminal illness to this abuse.

badkitty October 18, 2010 at 7:55 am

I’m stunned.
Are people really getting worse every day? Is this what we’re coming to, as a species? It’s not 8:00 yet, and I want to go back to bed and hide now!
My heart breaks for that poor little girl. What an awful thing to have to see on your way to another doctor appointment…
Like Mechtilde, I usually see two sides to a story, and I wonder what things were done by the family of the little girl, but they do NOT justify this kind of bullying. Whatever they did couldn’t even have been that bad, or you can bet that the trash (yep, that’s the word I’m going with; out there giving an interview holding a can of beer…) would have been yakking away about how they did this or that instead of just screaming “it’s Halloween, people!” to the world.
I’m physically ill now, and I need to go take a peek at some “feel-good Fridays”.

AMC October 18, 2010 at 8:27 am

I saw this story the other day. I agree with Mom2PBJ; I feel very sorry for the Petkov’s children who are being brought up in a household where such vindictive and cruel behavior is being taught to them. What a tremendous disservice their parents are doing for them by showing them that bullying someone smaller and weaker is perfectly okay. The upside of this story though is the outpouring of love that Kathleen has received from her community and from all over the world. My heart goes out to her and her family.

DGS October 18, 2010 at 8:36 am

Outrageous…the highest level of ignorance, nastiness and cruelty. Karma will get these people, eventually.

Daisy October 18, 2010 at 9:00 am

Jennifer and Scott Petkov are beneath contempt. There is no excuse, ever, for adults who use children to score points. Their apologies only make them look worse. How do you make an excuse for moral bankruptcy?

Elle October 18, 2010 at 9:01 am

You know when 4chan thinks you’re horrible people, you’ve made some really poor decisions in your life.

Jillybean October 18, 2010 at 9:02 am

I don’t really have anything to say about this. It was appalling when I heard about it weeks ago, and it’s appalling now. I did want to say to badkitty – I don’t think we have necessarily gotten worse as a society, it’s just that it used to be that we only had to know about the stuff we witnessed or heard about from friends/family. As we progress with technology we get exposed to everyone/everywhere. So, while it seems like such instances have become more prevalent, it’s likely more a case that our exposure base has expanded exponentially.

People are finding new ways to torment others with technology and we do have to decide how to combat these things, but cruel people will always find a way to be cruel. It’s an unfortunate reality.

Sarah Anne October 18, 2010 at 9:03 am

If you click on the link you can read how Jennifer was arrested. All I can say is sounds like she got what she had coming…

Shayna October 18, 2010 at 9:41 am

My heart aches for the little girl, and for the children of the Petkov’s. I really hope they have some normal people in their lives to set examples for them, because their parents sure as heck aren’t. I read just yesterday that Scott Petkov has lost his job over this and Jennifer Petkov was arrested for allegedly trying to run over a neighbour (who isn’t part of the Rose family). I believe bond was set at $75,000, or something like that. Huntington’s Disease is horrific enough, let alone having to put up with the abuse from this disgusting excuse of a person. And the little girl? She received donations in excess of $20,000 and used $2000 for a toy shopping spree, and the rest she donated to a local hospital. What a wonderful example of kindness in the face of adversity. She will have made more of a positive impact in her short lifetime than Jennifer Petkov could hope to achieve in a dozen.

Kitten October 18, 2010 at 9:42 am

I agree with Elle. When 4chan scorns you, you’ve got some serious soul searching to do.

Shiksagoddess October 18, 2010 at 10:05 am

I think this has gone far, far beyond an etiquette issue and is now firmly planted in the realm of sociopath.

Maybe that’s what is so horrible about this story; if the Petkovs can do this to a dying child, what would they (or other neighbors of their ilk) do to us?

I don’t think it’s enough to teach them good manners. I think the training these people need to become human is beyond the laws of this society.

RP October 18, 2010 at 10:06 am

A response to the text did not come quickly enough and it angered Jennifer.

Jennifer and Scott are entitlement whores, plain and simple. It’s worth noting that we aren’t even told that the answer was ‘No’ just that the answer didn’t occur on Jennifer’s timetable. Never mind they were already in the middle of the party and the hosts likely had their hands full. Never mind that the person texted probably didn’t even hear their phone over the noise of the party. Never mind that they probably said ‘Yes’ as I’m sure we would be hearing about it if they said ‘No’.

No, to Scott & Jennifer not getting everything she wants instantaneously is justifies all kinds of horrible behavior. I don’t blame the employer for firing Scott: he is a harassment lawsuit waiting to happen if this is how he reacts to perceived personal slights and I wouldn’t be surprised if his attitude has been a problem on the job before. Jennifer sounds completely out of control (she was arrested for allegedly trying to hit someone with her car).

@badkitty – Take heart in the fact that the rest of the neighborhood finds this behavior disgusting, making these awful, awful people the minority.

@Elle – Wow, yeah!

Stacey October 18, 2010 at 10:09 am

I live in southeastern michigan, not too far from these families and I see this story on the news. It seems that the woman is facing charges for attempting to hit a different neighbor with her car. (Ths neighbor in quesiton stated the woman has shouted and made comments to her for taking Ms. Rose’s “side” in this matter.)
The local radio station here had the grandmother on the phone and the things she said Ms. Petkov had done were awful to hear. They also had a former in-law of Ms. Petkov call and she talked about how horrible she was and suspected some form of mental imbalance.
I feel for the innocent children involved here.
There is no reason to ever make fun of a child who is sick and dying. EVER.

gramma dishes October 18, 2010 at 10:23 am

There was actually a video accompanying this story on several news outlets of the Petkovs being interviewed on their front porch.

Both were standing with their arms crossed over their chests and were both being very hostile. Jennifer Petkov’s language was filled with repeated ‘bleep outs’ (ultra foul language) and she said she was GLAD they had done what they did because it was “satisfying” to her and it “burned the (Grandmother’s) ass”.

That interview was far more disgusting and horrendous than the written versions of this horrible and alarming story.

Natalie October 18, 2010 at 10:25 am

Whatever happened to taking the high road? Whatever happened to being the bigger person? Whatever happened to being an ADULT? My neighbors down the street rented a bounce house for their grandson’s birthday this past weekend. We don’t know them that well, just to say hello in passing. My kids wanted to go over, but I explained it wasn’t our family and not our party and we had not been invited. I’m not upset, I don’t feel bitter, I don’t feel slighted. My kids were told no, we moved on with our lives. This story makes me want to go do ten nice things to make up for these horrible people who live in the world.

Mishii October 18, 2010 at 10:37 am

I hang out on a forum that’s been kind of at the center of the orchestrated backlash against the Petkovs, and here’s a few extra tidbits of information:

– the Petkov kids, says someone whose dad lives there still and who grew up there, are rather infamous bullies. He was NOT surprised they were not invited.

-Jennifer Petkov apparently said, TO the little girl, to her face and in person that she was glad the little girl was dying

– Jennifer Petkov’s own sister has stated on FB that she wasn’t surprised, that this type of behavior was typical of her b**** of a sister, and disavowed all links.

– Over sixteen thousands dollars has been raised in order to give the dying little girl a toy spree, and what she won’t take, will be given to the kids in a nearby hospital.

– There was a rather frightening but difficult-to-feel-bad-about concentrated campaign to express public opinion of the Petkovs by a different forum. One that is infamously filled with hackers and crackers and people who enjoy this kind of thing. That is, all the Petkov personal information was posted, and literally thousands of boxes, bibles and pizzas were sent to them, etc.

Louise October 18, 2010 at 10:38 am

Those are quite the nonapologies Jennifer and Scott gave. “Hopefully we can live our lives peacefully from now on” equals “I want all this to go away because it’s bothersome to me.” Scott’s is the classic “you brought it on yourself” pseudo apology. How sad that’s the best they can do.

Gemma October 18, 2010 at 11:03 am

“Apologies” like that remind me of Anne’s “apology” in Anne of Green Gables. “Those things I said about you were true, only I shouldn’t have said them!”

kero October 18, 2010 at 11:07 am

Horrible disgusting filth. No decent human being would ever behave like that EVER. They truly deserve a special place in E-Hell. I’m glad that people all over the world has sent love to this child.

SamiHami October 18, 2010 at 11:14 am

IMHO, this goes beyond bullying and harassment straight into the “evil” category. I mean, my neighbors are incredibly annoying, yet I would never, ever, ever think of doing something so horrible to them or their daughters. There is no possible excuse for this behavior.

Cordelia October 18, 2010 at 11:27 am

I was curious to know what the Petkovs’ side of the story would be, so I watched the news video. “Personal satisfaction”? Forget bad etiquette. That woman has a personality disorder.

Psyche October 18, 2010 at 11:51 am

The apology those mean neighbors is reminicent of two-year-olds who have been forced to apologise by their mothers: “I’m not really sorry, I’m just saying that because I’ll get in trouble if I don’t.”

Xtina October 18, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I feel sorry for anyone who has the Petkovs for neighbors or relatives or co-workers or acquaintances–in other words, woe to anyone who has to cross paths with them at all! Awful, awful people. I couldn’t hear the sound on the video, but the body language and contorted faces of the Petkovs while they were being interviewed says it all. These people are trash, and proud of it. They don’t think they’ve done anything wrong, and have no remorse. Their “apologies” are just lip service; they’re not sorry for anything more than being caught at their bullying.

I suspect the reason the Petkov’s child/children were not invited to the party was because they don’t get along with Kathleen Edward and her family. A person is perfectly within their rights to decide who they want invited–or more importantly, who will NOT be invited–to their party. Obviously the trashy Petkovs don’t realize that proximity does not grant automatic entrance.

I feel sorry that the Petkov child/children are being raised by such maniacs.

swamp monster October 18, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Oh sweet Lord! Now I’ve seen everything. This woman’s behavior goes well beyond bad etiquette and violates every tenet of basic humanity. There has to be something mentally wrong with her. I’m no expert, but could she be a sociopath, or something similar?

bansidhe October 18, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Mishii, you and I must hang out at the same place because I came here to say what you’ve already covered so well.

The backlash against the Petkovs and the spectaculary successful fundraiser by Tree Town Toys are rays of hope in all this. The Petkovs are far outnumbered by decent people, thank goodness.

Sadly, no one can cure Kathleen’s illness. As if regular Huntington’s wasn’t bad enough, she has the fairly rare juvenile onset variety. At least decent folks can help make up for the Petkovs, though. Last I looked the Tree Town Toys website had pics and video of Kathleen’s shopping spree.

I doubt anyone can cure whatever the heck is wrong with Jennifer Petkov, either, sorry to say.

Sarah Jane October 18, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Simply demonic. No, they don’t seem sorry.

ladycrim October 18, 2010 at 2:06 pm

The Petkovs make the Black Donnellys’ problems with their neighbors look like a block party. What hideous carbon-based life forms. (You need to have a heart to be considered human, I’m pretty sure.)

Simone October 18, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I can’t stop scowling as I read this. I know there are two sides to every story. I know some ‘journalists’ will be deliberately provocative to get the ‘best’ interview and make people look bad. I know how the ‘innocent’ party in these stories is often not so innocent.

But I just can’t even begin to imagine ANY justification for the skull and crossbones picture. No matter how good you are at photo manipulation it’s going to take a minute or so to produce and upload that. Plenty of time to have a second thought.

And the fact that she was arrested for trying to ram another neighbour does make it easier to believe the other stuff.

And can I just add how sad it is that in all the wide world no-one at all has come forward to say. “I don’t think that’s right, they really are good people”

May Destroyer October 18, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I’m saving this link for those comments on other threads that say, “This sounds too far out, I don’t believe it. No one would do such a thing without severe provocation. There has to be more to this story…

Enna October 18, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Wow that kind of behaviour is beyoned belief. No one deservces to be treated in such away.

Sharon October 18, 2010 at 6:22 pm

The Petkov’s are just beyond my understanding.
I know there are two sides to every story, but some people are so mentally unbalanced and anti-social that not waving back to them when you are both outside is grounds to burn your house down. From what I have seen, Jennifer is just one of those people that you do not cross. At. All.
If she had a lot of fun being mean, she better have a good memory… it seems like that is the last fun she is going to have for a long, long time.
This whole thing is almost biblical in the way it has played out. The “evil one” sets out to ruin the lives of the innocent. In return, the evil one is destroyed by her own words and actions.
It is very refreshing to see how this has influences MOST people. The out-pouring of love and support for Kathleen is wonderful to see.
Those who post the Petkov’s personal information and wish harm on them are no better than they are.
People like them do not deserve one more minute of our time… people like Kathleen do.

MyFamily October 18, 2010 at 6:33 pm

While I am sickened by the actions of these people, I have to say that the people who are threatening their lives, egging their house and taking part in other retalitory acts (such as sending them pizzas they did not order or 100’s of unwanted bibles) are also very wrong, and they need to stop. I absolutely believe that Mrs. Petkov deserves to be jailed and punished for her actions; and I understand and support why Mr. Petkov’s employer decided to no longer have him work for their company; and I am comfortable with people ostracizing this couple. But threats against their lives? That is wrong, and the people taking these actions need to stop now.

Amy October 18, 2010 at 7:01 pm

To all the posters who are horrified at how one human being can treat another, take heart in that when this story spread local toy shop owner Hans Masing took it upon himself to give Kathleen a wonderful surprise. His plans gained momentum through an internet website and people all over the internet (and the world) donated money to help fund the day, approximately $17 500, all because they just wanted to give this little girl a really great day. What money wasn’t spent on the day was donated to a children’s hospital.

Details of the day can be read here : http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/kathleen-edward-treated-to-toy-store-shopping-spree-20101014-mr

So hopefully your faith in humanity is restored as thousands of people showed they have more care and empathy in their hearts to easily overwhelm the disgusting behaviour of the neighbors.

LilyG October 18, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I love the phrase Mr. Masing used “Make her a REAL princess”. What a big-hearted guy.

ginlyn32 October 18, 2010 at 11:16 pm

I finally watched the news clip…I am appalled! I cannot believe someone could stand there and say something like that.

I hope she likes jail and she stays there a LONG time for attempting to hit a pedestrian.

ginlyn

Maryann October 19, 2010 at 1:36 am

That is the sickest breach of etiquette I have ever read. I now know the depths to which a human being can sink without actually committing a crime. This is beyond my worst imaginings.

danielle October 19, 2010 at 1:36 am

When I read the original story last week I cried, and I almost never cry about this kind of stuff, but to see a poor dying child taunted and harassed because of some bogus claim of being jilted.

Lady your kids weren’t invited to the party, you attempting to get them in at the last minute was beyond rude but to then go ahead and hurt a young girl who has lost her mother and will soon be joining her is heinous and unforgivable. The fact that you thought it was justified makes me sad for you because you are so beyond stupid that you think irrationally taunting a child will make you feel better.

I wonder what its like to know one day your children will probably refrain from introducing you to their children because of the awful things you forced them to witness as kids.

Nobody deserves this kind of treatment, and this totally explains why so many pre-teens/teens are committing suicide because of bullying, apparently bullying is what we are passing on to the next generation.

jen October 19, 2010 at 4:43 am

MyFamily, I agree with you, based solely on the fact that this terrible woman has a child. I hate the idea of her address being out there, simply because it potentially exposes her child to some pretty crazy people. What if someone does something violent? There are people like that out there.

I know I shouldn’t be surprised that there are people like this out there, but I honestly wonder if she’s mentally ill. The fact alone that she refused to back down after the media came to her home surprises me – she seems to really lack any awareness of how bad her actions are. I’m not making excuses for her, though. She’s rotten to the core.

Esther October 19, 2010 at 7:03 am

I think everyone needs to stop and back up a second… You have only a handful of “facts” presented in a VERY biased “news” article, and you are all ready to turn into a lynch mob. Remember…there are three sides to every story…his side, her side, and the truth.

Jolie_kitten October 19, 2010 at 7:50 am

I honestly think Jennifer Petkov is not mentally healthy.

Shayna October 19, 2010 at 10:02 am

@Esther – You’re absolutely right. We do only have a few facts here. But, given Jennifer Petkov’s attitude in the interviews, and the attitude, carelessness and lack of empathy she displayed when she said “…because it burns Rebecca Rose’s a$$ raw for me to make fun of her dead daughter…” is really all I need to see that this woman is absolutely horrible. Not only that, but this little girl, Kathleen, not only had to see her mother die from this horrible disease, but she now also knows her own fate as well. And to be reminded of it by someone like Jennifer Petkov is absolutely cruel. It doesn’t matter how much you may hate someone, for whatever reason, but you DO NOT make fun of someone’s dead child, mother, father, sister, brother, aunt, uncle, grandmother, grandfather, dog, cat, etc. That breaches all the basic tenets of humanity.

And the kicker to all of this? Jennifer Petkov’s apology. “To the little girl (notice she didn’t even use her name), I’m sorry if you’ve been hurt…” Classic non-apology.

Mother of a Bride October 19, 2010 at 11:01 am

Shayna–you said exactly what I was going to say to Esther. I am always a middle of the road, riding the fence, look at all sides sort of person, but seeing the venom spewed from the Petkovs and their justification of doing this as retaliation for some slight done by the parents/grandmother of this child is all I needed to realize there are not 3 sides here. It’s obvious how hateful and cruel the Petkovs are and their “side” of things doesn’t make me feel all warm and fuzzy about them and their actions.

RP October 19, 2010 at 12:15 pm

@Esther – Jennifer Petkov admitted to picking on a dying child on camera. This isn’t a situation where they’re arguing over what exactly happened, it’s a situation where everyone agrees on what happened and one side thinks it’s OK and the other side doesn’t. The only thing in dispute was the motive behind having the coffin and in that case they had at least one neighbor also saying that they’d parked the coffin outside of their house.

winter October 19, 2010 at 2:40 pm

This woman certifiably has a mental issue. I’m not saying that gets her off the hook, but just like the murderer who makes the “insane” plea, this woman probably also gets the “insane” pass. In those cases, you just don’t spend the time thinking “etiquette”, because nothing will or can change this woman except help, hospitalization, and medication.

I persoanlly would never live in this sort of neighborhood with these types of neighbors, especially with a sick child. Even with the economy the way it is, I would fight tooth and nail til I found a way out of there for the sake and health of my family.

JS October 19, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Esther, I’d echo what others have said, and add that I don’t need all three sides. Just taking the side most sympathetic to Petkov — her own words, and her own version of the facts — conclusively establishes that she is vile.

Maryann October 20, 2010 at 12:51 am

You know, I was thinking about this on and off today and I couldn’t help but think, as I was telling someone else about this, that the Petkov children are probably left out of a lot of events, and their mother may be in the habit of demanding entry. Can you imagine what they’re probably like? Look who’s raised them. For all we know, they might not have been invited entirely because the Roses didn’t feel Kathleen, with her delicate health especially, was safe around the Petkov kids.

I feel almost as badly for them as I do Kathleen. She won’t live as long as they probably will. However, they may have the lifetime curse of the lessons their parents have taught them. The self-entitlement and cruelty to which they’ve been exposed may be a hard habit to shake, and they’ll find a world justifiably unfriendly to the ways of their family.

As others have said, it makes a sad situation even sadder.

@Esther: Not this time. Not with verifiable evidence. Even if the Rose family does own some fault here, there is absolutely, positively no excuse for the graphic depictions on Facebook, especially the one of the little girl. Assuming the reporting is correct, there is no alternate explanation than the Petkovs actually posted taunts about a dying child’s impending death.

If it were all just hearsay, you’d have a point. It is not.

Wink-n-Smile October 21, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Waitwaitwait. His HOUSE and his WIFE? Not even “in defense of my wife” the woman to whom he has pledged fidelity for the rest of his life? HIS HOUSE?! He actually put his HOUSE ahead of his WIFE.

And that while justifying publicly tormenting a dying child.

Well, he’s just an example for the ages, isn’t he? I hope his children aren’t watching. He’s teaching them not only that it’s OK to butt in where you’re not invited, take vengeance, taunt and humiliate your neighbors, and just be generally tactless, but also that the house is more important than your own family members.

Really good lessons on priorities there, brother! Remember that when your kids stick you in some cheap nursing home. After all, with the money they save in your care, they can buy a better HOUSE.

The Cat Whisperer October 21, 2010 at 9:34 pm

“Two wrongs don’t make a right.”

How many of us have heard that from our parents, our teachers, pastors, scoutmasters, whoever? It’s one of the basic lessons of civil behavior, and applies to etiquette too: if someone does you wrong, you are NOT justified in doing them wrong in return.

Even if Jennifer and Scott Petkov were absolutely correct that the Edwards family had done them wrong, had been absolutely vile to them and their children, that would not have justified the Petkovs retaliating in any way. They would have violated a basic, fundamental tenet of civil behavior: two wrongs don’t make a right.

That the Petkovs engaged in retaliation for a perceived slight is bad enough, but that they revenged themselves on a helpless child as a means of retaliating for what they felt was a wrong puts this situation so far beyond mere bad behavior that it’s sickening. Cowardice, cruelty, a complete absence of any sense of moral right or compassion are just where their actions begin.

Every once in a while, in reading some of the comments posted to the situations posted on this site, I come across someone who expresses the attitude that that because someone did a wrong to them, they are justified in retaliating and doing a wrong to that person. I’d like to think that those people understand that by adopting that attitude, they’ve put themselves on a level with Jennifer and Scott Petkov, who believed they were justified in taunting a terminally ill child because they thought that child’s family had done them a wrong. I hope that people understand that in deciding to do wrong because they feel wronged, they have lowered themselves to the level of some truly vile people. The Petkovs are vile, evil, reprehensible people. (FWIW, I saw Jennifer Petkov reading her “apology” on TV, with her lawyer looking on. It was obvious to me that she was just doing what she’d been told to do, that she felt no genuine remorse, or even understanding that what she had done was vile and wrong. I believe that she’s a mentally disordered narcissist and possibly a sociopath as well.)

Etiquette is a civilizing factor and never can be used as a justification for doing wrong. If someone commits an etiquette felony that wounds you, the proper etiquette– and the moral thing to do– is to take the high road and behave properly, no matter what other people do that is wrong.

Bels October 22, 2010 at 5:28 am

This woman is just a flat out bitch. Making allegations of mental health issues further stigmatises *legitimate* mental health disorders. No wonder people with depression, or bi-polar feel reluctant to seek help if they get lumped together with people like this! No-one in their right- or wrong-mind would want to be associated with this dreadful woman.
Stop it I say!
Some people are just JERKS (I have a much less polite word in mind, ends in -oles) and are not ‘mentally ill’.