Pass The Smelling Salts…

by admin on January 17, 2011

…. it’s a PERFECT BRIDE!

Granddaughter Weds In Nursing Home – Couple Switches Plans So Grandmother Can Participate

OMAHA, Neb. — When Rozalind Pietrantoni-Elliott, 23, became engaged, there was no question of what type of wedding she wanted.

“I always wanted a really big, I mean over the top ordeal,” said Pietrantoni-Elliott.

After their August engagement, the bride and her fiance, Joseph Elliott, immediately started planning a spare-no-expense wedding at Omaha’s Joslyn Castle.

Their plans changed in early December.

Click on the above link to read the rest of the story and watch a news video.

Jolie_kitten January 17, 2011 at 9:10 am

Groovy, baby ;) :)

Patti January 17, 2011 at 9:23 am

Nice story. On top of how happy her grandmother was, think of the excitement this generated among the other residents. Certainly not your ordinary day.

Pam January 17, 2011 at 9:47 am

Oh what a nice story to start the week! I think this bride could teach a bridal-rehab class to some of the “the wedding day is all about ME” crowd! I think this couple has an excellent future ahead of them – they are the kind of people who really do make the world a better place to live.

M January 17, 2011 at 9:48 am

Sound like a lovely wedding and an even lovelier bride.

NotCinderell January 17, 2011 at 9:51 am

Nice to see people with their priorities in order: Grandma being there trumps wedding-day pageantry any day.

Mary Grace January 17, 2011 at 9:52 am

How wonderful and unselfish they were, wanting grandma to be there.
This one made me cry!

Julie A. January 17, 2011 at 9:53 am

That is one of the sweetest stories I have ever read! Thanks for sharing it :).

hex haight January 17, 2011 at 10:22 am

How very sweet. I wish that couple a long and happy partnership….and I hope they can get themselves a house or something with what they saved by focusing on their wedding being about sharing an important moment with those they love.

karma January 17, 2011 at 10:39 am

Hmmm. I think this is meant to be moving, but it’s not. Sorry, but it seems all very self-serving to me.

Laura January 17, 2011 at 10:52 am

Thanks so much for sharing such a nice story. What a sweet gesture to include Grandma in such a special way. I’ll bet that the other residents enjoyed seeing such a wonderful event happen as well.

Lee January 17, 2011 at 11:05 am

I got married in a nursing home. His father became ill quickly so we pushed up the date a few weeks and got married on a Friday night amidst storms and tornado warnings.

It’s just not that big of a deal. I read this site daily, but personally I feel that the brides who have the attitude that the big day is all about them are mistaken. Many people make sacrifices whether it be financial or time off work to make the trip with added expenses, and without these people there would be no audience to watch the ceremony. Cripe, without Grandma, the bride wouldn’t even have been born.
On the other hand, family members who feed this entitled behavior in the name of keeping peace are just as much to blame.
The wedding day creates memories for all of the family, not just the happy couple ,and I’m willing to bet that someday the pictures including grandma will mean a lot more to the couple than where she had originally planned to have the wedding and they can share those pictures with their future children.

Jodie January 17, 2011 at 11:29 am

Having lost both my grandmothers in the past 2 years. i had tears after watching this. this bride is wonderful, and i hope her and her husband have many happy years together

Harley Granny January 17, 2011 at 11:43 am

What a wonderful story!

She must be one wonderful Grandma!!!

Ashley January 17, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I read about this a few days ago, and was actually trying to submit it myself. It’s always refreshing to read about things like this. Except every time I tried to submit it, the “submit a story” link didn’t seem to be functioning properly? Regardless, I am glad that this story made it on here. It is truly heartwarming, and I am sure the grandmother was thrilled to be able to participate.

Miss Lady January 17, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Diane, my youngest sister’s mother-in-law, was diagnosed with cancer in early 2005. One of Diane’s granddaughter’s was planning her wedding in Texas, where she lived, but decided to instead have her wedding in the small Louisiana town where Diane lived. So, a Baptist couple from Texas married in a Catholic church in Louisiana so that the bride’s grandmother could be there. This was in the spring, Diane died in July 2005.

Ali January 17, 2011 at 1:13 pm

When my sister-in-law married her husband, my husband’s mother was terminally ill and asked that they have a small ceremony before their actual wedding day so she could watch her only daughter get married. My sister-in-law’s husband said no. I’m not sure why she married him after that, or why my husband and father-in-law didn’t beat the living hell out of him for it.

TheBardess January 17, 2011 at 1:28 pm

“Sorry, but it seems all very self-serving to me.”

@Karma- how so?

Kat January 17, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Karma – I’m confused, can you elaborate?

I thought this was nice. I think a lot of people would make alterations in their plans to include family (for example, my husband and I got married in a specific town so that my grandfather could be there) but what this couple did was really special. I tip my hat to them.

Jillybean January 17, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Karma – I’d love to hear more of your reasoning as to why you took this as self-serving – because I’m really just not seeing it.

PattyAnne January 17, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Wonderful story!!!

Warm and Fuzzy January 17, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I must admit that this one made my eyes tear up as well. This easily could be the perfect bride of the year.

Allie January 17, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I agree with Karma. The allegedly unselfish sacrifice was undercut by the fact that they sought out attention for their change of plans. Plus, shouldn’t this kind of thing (ensuring that the special people in your life have a chance to attend/participate in your wedding) be the norm and not the exception?

Zhoen January 17, 2011 at 2:24 pm

This is especially important, because the bride originally wanted a huge ME!Fest. Good for them for stepping back and doing it right. Those “over the top ordeal” weddings are really not much fun for the rest of us. (Yes, we had a tiny wedding btw.)

ann January 17, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Where does it say they sought out attention for their change of plans? And yes, this should be the norm. But by the sheer fact that this website exists, we all know it is not.

Kate January 17, 2011 at 2:52 pm

How do the naysayers know that the bride or groom called the TV station? It could have been another family member, the nursing home PR people, or any of the vendors involved. Sad that you have to pick apart their nice gesture. Personally, I think it’s wonderful.

When my cousin got married, our great-grandfather was still alive but in a nursing home. He really wanted him to attend, so he arranged to have their limo go get him and bring him back whenever he felt the need to go. His presence really made my cousin’s day special. Our great-grandfather is gone now, but had I been planning my wedding at that point, I would have done what I could to make sure he was there. It’s nice to see some recognition in the media that what makes a wedding special is really having people you love there, it’s not about how many ice sculptures or having your hair perfect or serving the most tender beef ever.

Chloe January 17, 2011 at 3:06 pm

How do you know that they sought out attention ? I didn’t see anything in the story about them contacting the media, themselves. Maybe someone from the nursing home did it ? It’s pretty silly to just assume the worst..

samihami January 17, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I never had or wanted children, but I would love to adopt this bride. I disagree with the cynics that say this was self-serving. I am quite certain the grandma didn’t see it that way.

I think this couple has a good sense of what truly has value and will most likely have an exceptionally good marriage!

Shock and Awe January 17, 2011 at 3:25 pm

@Allie and Karma Where does it say that the couple are the ones who went to the news with this story? As far as I read the news got wind of it and contacted them about it. And no, sadly this is not the norm…..I’ve seen many brides who forget that a wedding is a loving occasion and instead vamp it up to be something all about how special they are, forget about the groom or guests, it’s all about them.

Simone January 17, 2011 at 3:27 pm

@Allie – we don’t actually know that they sought attention. The nursing home, one of the guests, a family member, any one of a number of people could have contacted the media. If someone contacts you and says “We’ve heard your wedding was beautiful may we do a story?” few people will say no. And yes, such behavior should be the norm rather than the exception, but it is not. Although from posters above we can see it is not unique.

We have very little information to go on about who contacted the media, what their motivation for doing so was and so on. So really – you can accept it at face value as a nice heartwarming story or you can try and pick holes in it based on possible ulterior motives. The choice is yours.

To all the posters who shared their own, similar stories – thank you for sharing. Personally I’d rather see wedding stories like yours in the media than whatever monstrously excessive wedding the celebrity of the moment is having.

Warm and Fuzzy January 17, 2011 at 3:34 pm

We do not know who informed the media about this, so there is no legitimate reason to assume it was the bride. Can we not look upon something that was sweet and self-less without trying to find or create some ulterior motive or negative aspect to criticize?

JoW January 17, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I don’t think the bride sought out attention. The wedding happened in Omaha. The clip is from the Omaha ABC station. The other stations in Omaha didn’t cover it.

Omaha isn’t that big – only about 415,000 people. A lot of people were part of this event – caterers, dress shop, florist, photographer, Joslyn Castle staff, nursing home staff, lots of people. That tv station is know for covering a lot of human interest stories. I suspect one of the other people involved in the event told their friend at the tv station, and the tv station asked to cover it. It could be that one of the other guests works at the tv station.

(I live in Omaha and saw the story on the local news. Its such a great story I suspect I’m not the only person who submitted it. )

Numa January 17, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Wow, do you guys that think this is selfish have any friends? It was very sweet of them to do that. They were ensuring the special person would be there.

Anonymous January 17, 2011 at 4:31 pm

^Allie, you just took the words straight out of my mouth (fingers?) This would have been a nice gesture, if they’d kept the media out of it.

Kat January 17, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Allie – OK, now I see where you (and Karma?) are coming from. But do we know they sought out the attention? I didn’t watch the video, but the article didn’t seem to be saying that. Couldn’t it be that someone else alerted the news station to this story? Or am I missing something?

David January 17, 2011 at 5:00 pm

@Karma and Allie;

I do understand where you are coming from – but we don’t know if the couple were the ones to tell the media about how wonderful they were to do this or if a friend or family member contacted the media about the story. Either way, stories where the bride actually thinks about other people are a good thing.

Sharon January 17, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Being a grandmother, I can only say that this was a lovely story about a very sweet granddaughter.

@ karma and Allie, it is sad that no matter what is in the glass some folks still have to see the glass as half empty. Did you ever stop to think that perhaps the nursing home contacted the media?
And, it is NOT the norm, that is why such a big deal can be made of it.

I don’t mean to be rude myself, but I cannot understand why anyone could find anything negative in this.

HonorH January 17, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Allie, we don’t know they sought out the attention. It could’ve been anyone who alerted the media. The nursing home’s director, a family member, even just a reporter reading the wedding announcement who thought it would make a nice feel-good story. And it does feel good. People should get positive attention for doing the right thing. We always hear about the bridezillas and the over-the-top weddings and the couples who end up in lockup after their “special day,” so I think this brings a nice balance. I was truly touched that she got ready with her grandma there.

lkb January 17, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I think I see Karma’s point. Yes, it was a very sweet thing to do, but why alert the media? (Granted, we don’t know who alerted them but someone did, they don’t just show up.)

It is a beautiful thing for the bridal couple to do. I agree that it would have been more beautiful had it just been done quietly with no fanfare. Now it does smack of, “How wonderful we are.”

Happiness to the couple and their families. Long life to Grandma.

Lizza January 17, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I don’t see anything self-serving about this, and who knows who contacted the press? It could have been a family member, someone working at the nursing home, etc….either way though, it doesn’t matter, this was incredibly sweet and (to me) selfless thing for them to do.

jen January 17, 2011 at 6:47 pm

@Allie and Karma

I can see your point (if that was your point as well, Karma), but even if they called the media (which wasn’t clear from the article), meh, I don’t have a big problem with it. In the grand scheme of things, I’ve seen brides who are way more self-serving than that.

Also, we should absolutely go out of our way to include those we love in weddings, but having the ceremony in a nursing home is a pretty big “out of your way.”

Louise January 17, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Count me in as someone who thinks the bride and groom are awesome.

I’m surprised to see people calling this couple self-serving because they spoke to the media. Odds are someone else contacted the station and the couple agreed to talk. Why shouldn’t they? It’s a nifty story. The act of talking to the media doesn’t make one selfish or self-serving. I work in media and always hear people complaining there’s never enough good news out there. Well, this is it.

PrincessSimmi January 17, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Aww that’s sweet. That bride deserves a medal.

Giles January 17, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I work in a hospital and we see at least three or four weddings a year. I’ve even participated in some of them. They’re some of the happiest ones I’ve seen because people forget about flowers, catering, gifts and dresses and it becomes about the love of a family.

Putting the people in your life ahead of trivial things SHOULD be the norm, but sometimes (especially on this blog) it seems like it isn’t. So kudos on these two for seeing what’s important.

Guinevere January 17, 2011 at 8:11 pm

If they had chosen not to do this, I believe they would have regretted it their whole lives. They looked very happy in the video, and very much in love. Not every couple could give up their perfect dream; kudos to them!

kero January 17, 2011 at 11:46 pm

It’s a very touching story. Although, I have to add that I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a huge wedding either; big expensive wedding does not always equal to a self-centered bride. If grandma was not ill, they would still have a big wedding with grandma and everybody invited (but then some people will complain how excessivly lavish the wedding was and assume the bride to be selfish anyway). If people have the means to do it, then let them.

ArtK January 18, 2011 at 1:06 am

Karma & Allie… why do we have to assume the worst of these people? That was very uncharitable of you both, given the complete lack of evidence that they sought the media out.

No good deed goes unpunished, even here.

Catwhisperer January 18, 2011 at 1:38 am

Good for the couple! I’m sure the wedding they had was more memorable than any fairy-tale all-the-frills wedding they could have planned.

Good luck to them. A very heartwarming story.

The Other Me January 18, 2011 at 2:07 am

While brides should defintely do everything they can to include their loved ones, I don’t think that cancelling your BWW and changing the venue to your nan’s nursing home is something that ‘all brides should do anyway’.

IMO, a bride who insists that everyone fly overseas to witness her peeerrrrfect wedding is a bridezilla. A bride who takes into consideration the needs of her guests and plans accordingly is a normal bride. A bride who changes the date and/or venue and otherwise goes to extraordinary lengths to ensure that nan or whoever will be there is a perfect bride.

aventurine January 18, 2011 at 2:51 am

I said I wasn’t going to address the negativity, but I changed my mind. I’d be willing to bet that someone outside the family notified the media about this, or the human-interest reporter got wind of it, after it happened. The video was provided to the news outlet by the family. Had the family sought publicity, it stands to reason (IMO) that there would have been a reporter on the scene shooting their own video and getting the story from the ground.

Doesn’t prove anything one way or the other, but I’m choosing to give this lovely couple and their families the benefit of the doubt.

What a great and fitting way to start your married life, by putting others’ happiness ahead of your own desires! WTG, HC!

lkb January 18, 2011 at 11:19 am

Sorry to have added to the negativity, I was just saying I thought I understood where another poster may have been coming from, but I shouldn’t have. I was wrong, please forgive me.
One thing I absolutely do have to credit the couple (and whoever helped pay for the BWW) — I’ve never been to Omaha and know nothing about the originally scheduled venue. In any case, they likely lost mucho dinero in changing it that way. That was truly a sacrifice and one that a bridezilla would not have made. I salute all involved.