Oh, Porter! Porter! Take My Bags!

by admin on March 7, 2011

MIL, DH and I were in Hawaii to attend a family function. MIL is from Hawaii and DH was born there. DH is half Japanese (on his mother’s side) and half Hawaiian (on his father’s side) so he looks like a local. Especially when he’s been in the sun for a while. Keep this in mind.

Since gasoline on the island was horribly expensive, MIL rented a car that everyone could carpool.  We spent a little over a week in Hawaii and had a wonderful time. Our flights returning home were a few days apart since DH was deployed to Japan at that time and had taken leave to come to this function. MIL left first, leaving us the rental car to return the next day when DH took his flight back to Japan.

The day of DH’s flight, we go to return the rental car. The rental car lot is pretty big. Once you park your car you have quite a walk to get to the building to return the keys and get your bill. Once DH and I park, he begins to take the bags out of the trunk. While he’s doing this, I’m standing next to him taking the bags as he hands them to me.

As we unload, another car pulls into the lot and parks a few cars down from us. A woman gets out, pops the trunk and takes a huge suitcase out along with a shoulder bag. She sees me and my husband and walks towards us, dragging her luggage behind her. She stops right in front of us, drops the shoulder bag at my husband’s feet, looks him in the eye and says, “Take my bags to the office.” With her tone of voice I wouldn’t have been surprised if she had snapped her fingers when she made this statement.

After we pick our jaws up from the ground, DH tells snobby lady, “I don’t work here. I’m returning my rental car.” He turned his back on her and we walked away.

It must have taken snobby lady a while to get to the office too since we didn’t see her after we turned in the keys. Those bags did look really heavy. Hopefully she learned that the world isn’t at her beck and call.  But I doubt it! 0128011

It’s bad enough that the snobby woman wrongfully assumes the storyteller’s husband is a porter for the car rental company.  The most audacious part of this story is the woman’s selfish presumption that her need to have her baggage carried to the office takes priority over the storyteller’s ongoing interaction with the alleged employee.  What on earth possesses someone to think they are so special that they can interrupt someone else’s transaction and redirect the employee’s attention to their wants?   When I sold high end patio furniture eons ago, I had a few customers who rudely and arrogantly would interrupt my conversation and sale with another client to get me to focus immediately on what they wanted as if the other customer simply did not exist in their little universe of one.    That’s when I learned that saying, “I’m sorry. I cannot accommodate your request at this time”, was the most effective means of stifling such people.

Addendum:  Don’t bother submitting comments that rant about the snooty woman’s alleged racism.  I will not be approving them.  The OP makes the case that her husband is part Hawaiian and therefore could be presumed to be  “a local” and we have no idea what the race of the snooty woman was.   Since the OP doesn’t include that she herself is of the same racial heritage as her husband, it would appear that snooty woman’s behavior of looking right through her as if she did not exist in order that her terse demand took precedent indicates this was pure selfish entitlement.

Lizza March 7, 2011 at 5:13 am

The sad part is, in this day and age, there are a lot of retail employers who (unfortunately) will not tolerate their employees speaking in such a way. Anything that could be deemed remotely “offensive” to a customer is banned – the erroneous phrase “the customer is always right” has created a culture of rudeness among many. (Not to say there aren’t awesome managers and customers!)

I can see this woman complaining to her friends/family in the future: “He REFUSED to help me! He pretended he wasn’t an employee, can you believe it?!”

karmabottle March 7, 2011 at 6:45 am

What would have been even better, although a bit wicked, would be for your husband to have said, “Sure. No problem. If you’ll just wait in the office.” Meanwhile, he pops into a waiting cab and drives away leaving her to wonder what happened to the “porter” with whom she left her bags! (Evil laughter)

Aje March 7, 2011 at 6:59 am

No please, no thank you, no nada? What a snooty lady!

Caper March 7, 2011 at 8:20 am

iHonestly, with someone THAT rude, I don’t think I would have given any response at all. I would have just ignored her and walked away, waiting for her to make herself look like a moron by going to the manager and complaining about a non-existent rude employee.

I too have had customers try and interrupt my interaction with another customer I’m helping at the time, and believe me, they don’t get immediate attention. They’re made to either wait, or find someone else. I even had a lady jump line (a very obvious line that can NOT be missed. Not only due to the high volume of people, but the queue ropes and signs as well) because she “just wanted this one thing”. I said to her “Not a problem. All you have to do is just wait in line .. behind everyone else.”

Abigail March 7, 2011 at 9:07 am

I am speechless…

Abigail March 7, 2011 at 9:10 am

Ok, I found my voice. I have to say, this may rank as being some of the worst behavior reported on this site. The sense of entitlement is astounding and I doubt if she would have assumed he worked there if he had been a different ethnicity. What world do people like this come from?!

vanessafawley March 7, 2011 at 10:12 am

I once had a man outside Walmart ask me if I worked there (I wad wearing khakis and a navy blue shirt and admittedly may have resembled an employee. I replied that I did not. His response? Get me someone who does. Yeah, I just left. Laughing.

Lizajane March 7, 2011 at 10:12 am

I didn’t even think about the issue of ethnicity (the explanation of his heritage at the beginning of the post didn’t even register with me). In my experience there are snobs everywhere who will be snobby to anyone and everyone.

Anonymous March 7, 2011 at 10:12 am

I wouldn’t have assumed that DH worked at the resort, unless he was wearing a shirt/hat/other kind of insignia that said “XYZ Resort” on it. Even then, I would have waited until he was finished with his current interaction before trying to get his attention.

AS March 7, 2011 at 10:14 am

That is awful behavior. I agree with admin on this – customers sometimes mistake other customers to be employees. But there is a polite way to find out, and then apologize if they are not. Even if there was an employee of the rental company instead of LW’s husband, this woman’s sense of entitlement is unbelievable.

This reminds me of an incident that happened to me a while ago. I don’t remember the details too well, but remember the behavior very well. I was once travelling in a long distance train with my parents (I was in my mid to late teens; also long distance trains in my home country can be a day or two long journeys). At one point, I just cleaned up the space where we were sitting (picking up random papers and plastics, stowing the luggage properly, throwing away packets of food, etc.). As I was going to the trash can, a man in the neighboring compartment snapped his fingers at me and told me to come and clean up his coupe too! I was totally taken aback. I first thought he was joking, but his snotty look showed he wasn’t. I just came back to my seat, and my blissfully my parents hadn’t noticed him; otherwise they’d have flipped off on him.

Michelle P March 7, 2011 at 10:14 am

Scraping my jaw off the floor. I believe it, I’ve seen worse.

LauraBeth March 7, 2011 at 10:17 am

My sister and I were in Washington D.C. visiting family. My coustin who 6 foot three and blonde was helping us with our bags at the airport. A landy walked up to us and said “when your done put these in my car”. My cousin smiled and helped her with her bags. We still laugh about this, and the fact that he didnt even get a tip!

Cat March 7, 2011 at 10:29 am

Just a case of mistaken identity. When I was much younger, I lived on Biscayne Blvd. in Miami, FL. I decided to walk from my apartment to the local convenience store to get a newspaper.

A man in a Mercedes stopped and asked if “I was dating”. ( That’s the lingo for a Lady of the Evening engaged in immoral behavior for profit.) Being very polite, I explained that I was a theology teacher at the local Catholic high school and did not engage in prostitution.

Had I been dressed in short shorts and a revealing blouse and high heels, I could have understood the mistake. But in old jeans, a university tee shirt from my youth, and flip flops? What professional you-know-what dresses like that?

Sabrina March 7, 2011 at 10:34 am

Wow stuff like this happens all the time at my work. We’re in a mall in a corner (out corner as opposed to an in corner) and it’s very open so people walk thru all the time to cut 2 seconds off walking around the store. So quite often we also get people looking for stores, asking the time. It’s gotten so bad to the point we mostly say we don’t know now. One day my manager was with a customer about an order for a wedding, and there was another person there as well and they were all chatting and this woman walks up, barges in between the two women “EXCUSE ME!!! DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS??!?!” Seriously, how rude, the two ladies commented how rude she was when she left. Seriously, the mall should have their customer service area where my store is.

ashley March 7, 2011 at 10:35 am

I like karmabottle’s suggestion xD I wonder if the lady was having a bad day and decided to take it out on the OP’s DH who she thought was an employee, still would’nt excuse her rudeness though.

Elizabeth March 7, 2011 at 10:42 am

This cracked me up.

Allie March 7, 2011 at 10:59 am

The poster implies that the fact of her husband looking like a local was part of the reason for the mistaken assumption, but it also sounds as if he’s in the military. I wonder if he was in uniform (porters often wear quasi military looking uniforms), which also contributed to the mistake. Regardless, the rudeness was in the treatment of the assumed employee and also in co-opting his services when he was apparently already helping someone else.

Katy March 7, 2011 at 11:38 am

Not to excuse this woman’s behavior (she was rude beyond belief) but I think more people that work with the public need to be trained and empowerd to politely redirect people who are barging in on a transaction/conversation in progress. Sometimes it isn’t always obvious that the person is busy with other customers or sometimes the offender is oblivious to what is going on. I’ll admit I may have been the interrupter on a few occasions, although hopefully I didn’t do it in an abrasive manner. If I am interrupting something I would like to be told, politely, that I am and then where I should be until the person is ready to help me. The other day at the doctor’s office I didn’t realize the receptionist was on the phone so I walked straight up to the counter. She said very nicely that I need to wait a few feet back until she was finished with the conversation. No problem, I moved back to where I should have stopped in the first place.

As a high school teacher I try to teach my students manners (in addition to the content of the course). These sorts of situations are difficult for many of them because most teenagers have zero patience and are unable to see anyone else but themselves. I can be deep in conversation with another student and I’ll have students physically move in between us to have their problem solved ASAP! Sometimes a gentle reminer works and for others they need me to be a bit more assertive in order for the message to get through to them. The other day I had a student whistle at me to get my attention while I was lecturing because he wanted to leave class. He did not get to leave class and I held him after to explain that interrupting class was rude and whistling was completely inappropriate.

Ashley March 7, 2011 at 11:49 am

I used to work at an office supply store. A lot of people don’t care, if you look like you work there at all, people would stop you even if it is OBVIOUS you had clocked out for whatever reason and were trying to leave the store. Picture an employee in a coat, sunglasses, carrying a purse, no name tag or any store logos anywhere. Customers would STILL stop us. There was one day I had even changed completely out of my uniform to attend some event after work. So here I was in a skirt, nice blouse, and heels, purse in hand, about ten feet from the exit. Some guy said “Hey, I have seen you here before, what kind of ink does my printer need?” I even remember one time an employee was spending his lunch sitting in his car (important phone call or something of the sort). A customer recognized him from a previous visit, tapped on his car window, and asked if he could come inside to help her. Rude people will be rude.

Wink-n-Smile March 7, 2011 at 11:54 am

Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens fairly frequently, if you believe “NotAlwaysRight.com” and “CustomersSuck.com”. There are frequent postings of someone insisting on service from another customer, then reporting the “unhelpful employee” to the management, only to be told that the customer does not work there, and then stomp out, fuming about the poor customer service and lying employees and management.

These people don’t usually say please, or thank you, nor wait their turn, either.

Chloe March 7, 2011 at 11:58 am

Cat – it wasn’t *just* a case of mistaken identity. it was also a case extreme entitlement and rudeness. If he was an employee, she still would have been in the wrong for acting the way she did. There’s absolutely no excuse for her behavior.

Harley Granny March 7, 2011 at 11:59 am

I’m with Karmabottle….I’m just evil enough to say…”Yeah, I’ll get right on that!” and then go on my merry way.

Louise March 7, 2011 at 12:11 pm

The rude lady’s assumption was pretty bizarre. The OP’s husband is handing the bags to her, so even if he is an employee, there’s no indication he carts bags around himself. Plus, who sees two people at a rental car place and instantly assumes one is a porter? Isn’t the logical assumption they are travelling together? I suppose things are different when, as the admin neatly put it, you’re in a universe of one.

lnelson1218 March 7, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I did get a chuckle out of this one as well as some of the comments.
The rude woman was lucky that the DH was honest, I bet that in some places wrongly assuming who is an employee would cause bags to go “missing.”
Asking politely “Do you work here?” can go a long way. I have been asked that in places I haven’t worked. And more often than not, the next (usually politely put) questions is: “have you seen someone….”

Carrie March 7, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Yes, rude… I have a Hispanic friend who was staying in a posh hotel in Palm Springs. As she was walking down the hall, a woman popped out of a room and asked P. to get her two more towels. P. told the woman that that would cost her $5 each. “No problem,” said the woman, so P. walked back to the service cart, snagged two towels, and pocketed $10. Her later comment was, “Too bad she didn’t ask me for sheets.”

Alexis March 7, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I would never have bothered explaining to this ingrate that I was not an employee. I would have wordlessly stepped around her and her bags and kept going, ignoring her and the subsequent tantrum you just KNOW she would throw upon being treated with the kind of contempt she reserves for others. Something tells me this jerk spends a LOT of time complaining about other people’s ‘bad attitudes’. Your husband is a saint for even speaking to her after she pulled that stunt.

Calliope March 7, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I had an experience like this recently in the grocery store. I was minding my own business, selecting my groceries, when I heard a woman’s voice behind me say, “Lunch meat.” There was no reason the woman would have been talking to me, so I just continued my shopping. I heard the woman again, a little louder: “Lunch meat.” It still didn’t occur to me that this stranger was addressing me, so I ignored her. Finally, she tapped me hard on the shoulder and shouted, “Lunch meat,” right in my face. I said, “Yes, what about it?” and she sighed heavily and said, “LUNCH MEAT.” She shook her head around and sort of waved her arms, making it clear that she was looking for the lunch meat, and I was stupid for not understanding that. I told her I didn’t know where the lunch meat was and that perhaps she should find an employee to ask. When she found out I wasn’t an employee–by the way, I was wearing a wool coat, a hat, and boots–I suddenly warranted a full sentence response. That response was, “Well, thank you soooo much. You’ve been soooo helpful,” accompanied by an eye roll. A few minutes later, I heard her shouting “Lunch meat” at someone else.

badkitty March 7, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I can only hope that the real reason she didn’t appear in the office immediately after is that she was hiding her shame in the parking lot, waiting for the nice couple she so horribly offended to leave.

Probably not.

This is, however, an excellent example of a misunderstanding that would have been fine if the *language* of the request had been more polite. Imagine re-reading this story, only this time the woman trots over, breathless and harried and says, “Excuse me, but could you take my bag too? Or will there be someone else along who can help me?” OP’s husband now politely informs the woman that he does not work there, and he’s not sure if they employ porters but if her bag is too much for her to manage he can ask in the office for someone to come help her. Or even help her himself, if OP can handle their bags alone, and if they are so inclined. As it occurred, I honestly wouldn’t have bothered even telling her that I didn’t work there – just look her dead in the eye and say “No” and keep on walking.

ellesee March 7, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Ha! Oh the rudeness of some people. I like karmabottle’s idea! Left me laughing! I remember when my mother and I ate at a Chinese restaurant (we are Chinese) and my mother went to use the bathroom. When she was walking back to our table, another diner (non-Chinese) actually tugged her arm and asked her why their order didn’t come yet. My mother said I don’t work here!, sat down with me, and angrily stared at them. We laughed about it on the car ride home.

@Cat, prostitues don’t always dress in scantily clad clothes. Also, if you were walking alone in the night, it’s possible that is why you were mistaken. I don’t know the area where you lived in, but some places could be popular tracks for picking up girls.

Angie March 7, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I agree, very rude behavior on the part of the snooty lady. If she appeared to be disabled or something maybe I would have helped – but if she had asked politely, not ordered.

I am a longtime blood donor and sometimes I wear a Canadian Blood Services t-shirt when I donate, so I’ve had people think I’m an employee and ask me questions. Fortunately, they are often things I know the answer to, so I don’t mind helping; otherwise I direct them to an actual volunteer or employee.

SB March 7, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I’ve had a few “mistaken for staff” moments, and more than a few rude customers at work, but this post mostly reminded me of when I worked in the Caribbean several years ago. The island where I worked saw lots of entitled tourists who assumed everyone who looked local (the population of the island is ninety-some percent Afro-Caribbean, and the tourists were from around the world) was there to wait on them. Most of the locals handled this admirably well. One of the people on our research team, an Oxford-educated British African, got “mistaken for staff” quite a bit. Luckily, he had an excellent “polite spine”, and calmly informed the tourists that he was busy doing things for the Smithsonian, and that they needed to find someone else to assist them. I know this must have been irritating for him, but the tourists’ expressions upon hearing his posh British accent were usually priceless!

Jillybean March 7, 2011 at 1:58 pm

LauraBeth – I love it! :-)

many bells down March 7, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I used to work for a preschool that had teachers wear polo shirts in red or blue with the school’s name on it. Whenever I went to the grocery store after work I noticed a lot of people would ask if I knew where certain items were. It was probably a week of this before I realized that they thought my polo shirt marked me as an employee (even though actual employees had gray shirts).

That explained why people would look so affronted when I’d reply “Sorry, I’ve no idea.”

Tara March 7, 2011 at 3:15 pm

My response for these type of people (when I was still working) was, “I’ll help you as soon as I’m done helping this customer.” Of course, they might get very impatient if it took too long for me to help my current customer. But screw them, that type will find any reason to get angry.

Yvaine March 7, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Many bells down–I’ve gotten that at Target, when I accidentally wore a red shirt to shop there. Never do that! :D

bookworm March 7, 2011 at 4:08 pm

This reminds me of the time I walked into a new art store in town and asked the first person I saw if I should store my bag behind the counter. She said she didn’t know, and let me know that she doesn’t work there, and I apologized profusely for the assumption before tracking down an actual employee. I also opened the exchange with ‘excuse me’.

Little courtesies on the woman’s part could have made this experience more pleasurable all around, if it had to happen at all.

Just Laura March 7, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I want to echo Katy about some teenagers these days. Working with college students, I will be on the phone, and a student will come and stand next to my desk and start talking to me. I particularly hate it when they lean over my desk (I handle sensitive/private information), so I have to turn files over or turn my monitor farther away from them. Sometimes I’ll be talking with one student, and as I turn away to find a file or material to answer a query, another student will start asking me questions! I have to gently say, “As you can see, I’m assisting someone. If you’ll step back, I’ll be with you momentarily.” I’m only in my 20s, but even I can see the different between 19 year olds and older students.

Incorrectly assuming someone works at a store is something most of us have done. Demanding that *I* am so amazing that *I* deserve to be assisted at the drop of a hat is something else.

Geekgirl March 7, 2011 at 4:52 pm

There was a time where, for a while, no matter what shop I was in, people would come up and ask me where things where, assuming I worked there – despite me wearing an outdoor coat. Some of them would get quite annoyed when I said I didn’t work in that place. I don’t know what it is that marked me out as some sort of general employee of any shop I happened to wander into.

I did also use to work for a library. People would recognise me, and try and give me their library books whilst I was on my way to and from work – as if I’m going to lug 10 heavy hardbacks along my 3 mile walk. They also tried to give me books whilst I was actually off work and trying to do my shopping, and get peeved when I wouldn’t take them – and demand they not get fined because they tried to give to them to me!

Some people just seem to assume that everyone else who even vaguely looks like an employee is there to serve them, and get annoyed when we fail to fall in with their world view.

I don’t know how many people here are British, but this ‘mistaken for an employee’ thing happened to Miranda Hart in her comedy series ‘Miranda’ (on British TV) – she ended up doing a four hour shift in the bed shop. (She also took advantage of the situation to get an employee discount)

Elizabeth March 7, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Staff can be just as rude in pretending who is invisible.

My husband was standing in a Best Buy, right in front of and reading product information off of a box on the shelf as he considered a gift purchase. A staff member arrived with another customer, reached in front of my husband, actually moved him aside, and removed the product which he was examining, turned away and began explaining its merits to the other customer. My husband said, ‘perhaps you didn’t realize that I was reading that’ to which the staff person did not respond.

He then left the store and we haven’t been in a Best buy since.

--E March 7, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I confess to a perverse pleasure when rude people attempt to commandeer store staff who are assisting me. Most of the time they immediately apologize; they were only momentarily thoughtless. But occasionally they’ll persist, often with the “this will only take a moment” gambit. Since I don’t work there, I get to crush their entitled little egos when I inform them they still have to wait their turn.

It’s not very mature of me to enjoy it, but I really, really do.

Dorothy March 7, 2011 at 5:16 pm

You do learn things here. Until I read Katy’s comment I had no idea I was supposed to stop and wait a few feet back from the reception desk at the doctor’s office! How many feet is a few? Is there a line on the floor? Just want to know so I don’t get into trouble.

Maitri March 7, 2011 at 5:26 pm

@Calliope ~ I would have shouted “PURPLE!” or “TURTLE!” or something equally random at her shouting “LUNCH MEAT!” at me. Then I would have beamed a big smile at her and waited patiently for her turn…

Enna March 7, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Rude. Good that the OP’s husband told her he didn’t work there.

Louise March 7, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I walked up to the window in my doctor’s office once and the receptionist swivelled away and held her arm out, palm toward me, in a clear “Stop!” motion. I saw she was on the phone and pulled a few feet away. Now I always look to see if someone’s on the phone and hang back a bit until I get a sign to come forward — eye contact and a smile, a greeting, something like that.

Some of these stories are incredible! I can’t imagine trying to hand back library books in the grocery store or someone snapping “Lunch meat!” at me. (Love that story, by the way. If someone did that to me, I think I would start laughing because it’s so surreal to have a stranger walk up and say that to you.) A woman in the grocery store did once ask me if I knew where something was, but I don’t think she thought I was an employee, just a customer who knew her way around. And she was polite about it.

Vicki Cole August 21, 2014 at 9:56 pm

I seem to have one of those faces that makes people feel I’ll be helpful, so I do have people ask me directions, or where something is in a store. Thankfully, most of those interchanges have begun with “Excuse me, but do you happen to know….”

SS March 7, 2011 at 5:41 pm

@Dorothy
Based on health record confidentiality laws, the medical office is supposed to make sure you can’t eavesdrop on the conversation and overhear personal medical information about another patient.

Lizajane March 7, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Calliope,

I’m sorry, but that made me giggle. From now on when someone is saying something totally out-of-the-blue, random or inapplicable to the subject at hand, I’m going to shout, “Lunch meat!!”

I’ll get to use this alot with one particular co-worker.

danielle March 7, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I get mistaken for an employee every week when I go food shopping with my grandmother, apparently because I am helping this old woman (who I always call grandma when trying to get her attention) I am there to help everyone. A few weeks ago we were at the supermarket and a woman handed me a pork shoulder and ordered me to cut it in half. Apparently it was not clear that the guy standing next to me in the bloody white coat was actually a butcher. (and for those of you who think maybe I misunderstood who she was talking to she tapped me on the shoulder and put the pork shoulder in my hands).

And this is also something that happens to me whenever I go to Walmart, I mean I know I spend a lot of time there but I am always careful to not wear blue, but because I do spend so much time there I know where a lot of stuff is and if I see someone or overhear someone say they can’t find something I will usually go over and help them.

Cherry March 7, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I;ve had similar problems in the past. I used to work in a cinema just off the main high street, so during my breaks I’d often window shop. Most of the time I’d take off my uniform (a black shirt with the company logo on one side) off before I left, but one day I forgot and didn’t want to waste my break by going back. Instead I unbuttoned the shirt so you could see the vest top underneath.

I got to ONE shop before someone stopped me, and while she was actually quite polite, it was still a bit frustrating, as 1. The shop in question’s uniform was bright blue; and 2. What employee would have EVER gotten away with wearing their uniform as I was doing?

Hal March 7, 2011 at 8:42 pm

This sort of behavior seems to come from “low” people trying to pretend to be “high” people. (I hope no one is offended by my terms. Substitute any classification words you wish.) Anyway, these people think that some people get more because they act entitled. This is never true. Really fine people never have to ask. Things come to them naturally because they are well behaved. The bossy, or loud, or intrusive people betray their poor backgrounds by these “pushy” actions.

phoenix March 7, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Maitri- oh, that is a perfect response!

I get mistaken for an employee at Hobby Lobby all the time. Not sure why, except I seem to know my way around. Usually I just tell folks where stuff is, only to hear a “wait, do you work here?” as I walk away. I usually just laugh and shake my head, saying “no, but I really should.”

I did once spend 10 minutes helping some very lost looking older men pick out paint colors for a little girls doll house. They really had no taste, so I was glad to help on that little girl’s behalf. Who paints a 7-year old girl’s doll house mustard yellow and lime green?