Bitter About The Critters

by admin on March 16, 2011

When I was a child, my parents took my brother and I on a trip west. What I remember most about that trip (aside from my Father getting Lyme disease and being sick as a dog) is Yellow Stone park.

Yellow Stone is one of those famous parks that everyone has heard about and seems to be a major destination for all families. But it’s particularly famous for its wildlife. We were in an Inn one evening (again, supposed to be camping, but my Dad was sick) and my Mom allowed my brother and I (age 12 and 10 respectively) to go walking. We decided to go on a small nature hike. We stopped along the road to simply view the nature and take pictures. All of a sudden, a car pulled in behind us. My brother and I were a little frightened- we were young kids and suddenly strangers were approaching us.

“Where’s the animals!?,” the driver asked us. A bunch of people- mostly kids- piled out of his car.

“The animals?,” My brother repeated blankly.

“Yeah, where’s the animals?,” the man repeated, pointing to the mountain we’d just been viewing.

Then, all of a sudden, two more cars pull over behind him. My brother just finishes telling the first man that there are no animals when all the drivers from these cars leap out, saying things like, “Where’s the bear? Do you see a bear? Do you have your binoculars? Where are the animals?”

The man from the first car calls to the others in a dejected voice. “There’s no animals! False alarm!”

A woman from the same first car, presumably the man’s wife, walks up and starts to scold us- that’s right, perfect strangers, about how wrong it was to pull a ‘joke’ like that. (My brother and I are both thinking, “Joke? What?”) She tells us that “they paid good money to come here and show their kids the animals, and by jolly we’re going to see the animals in this park!” My brother and I stared at her, afraid of this weird stranger, as well as the now growing crowd of people, as well as the slowing traffic, now dozens of people hanging out their car windows, looking up at the mountains, trying to spot an eagle or a bear or a mountain lion. Who knows what might have happened? Thankfully, my Mom thought we’d been gone rather long and came to see what was happening.

My Mom asked my brother what was going on. The woman butted in and told her that we’d been pointing to the mountain in attempts to get people to pull over. My mother asked why people would pull over and the woman’s husband explained, “For the ANIMALS of course!” My mom turned and asked us what we’d been looking at. We told her we wanted to get pictures of the mountains for Dad (he didn’t get to see any of the park, and we wanted to surprise him).

My mom smiled and took us by the hands, saying we’d taken enough pictures today and we turned to leave. The woman yelled something after us, which I cannot remember exactly, except that it was rude- along the lines of “control your children”.   Mom didn’t listen. She took us back to the Inn, gave us a brief lecture about walking along the road instead of taking the children’s trail-which is where she thought we were going. We weren’t allowed to go out by ourselves during our stay at Yellowstone anymore.

My favorite thing about this memory is my Mom’s behavior. She didn’t apologize to the lady, nor did she turn when the woman shouted that last statement. She kept her cool and had the grace to walk away. I guess it’s another one of those situations people thinking they are entitled to the best experience possible.

Before we left, we actually did see a bear- and a bunch of idiots who were walking up close to it with their cameras. We called the park ranger  but didn’t stick around to see the gruesome result. 0202-11

Ehell Rule #4,356 – It is not rude for bears to eat rude park tourists. Nom, nom, nom.

jen a. March 16, 2011 at 4:32 am

Tee hee, the picture at the end was the best part. Good for you for calling the park rangers about people approaching a bear. I wish people would be a bit more savvy when it came to wild animals.

Janos March 16, 2011 at 5:07 am

The bear seems to be wanting to relive himself , damn tourist bothering the poor thing XD

The Elf March 16, 2011 at 6:18 am

I love me some parks and forests, but this is the primary reason that Yellow Stone is not high on my list. I hear it is breathtaking, but I also hear it is crowded with idiots. I’d rather go someplace quieter. BTW, animals are not likely to stick around noisy humans. The best way to see wildlife is to settle down and be quiet (and approach on foot). I have not seen any bears, but I have seen plenty of birds, deer, foxes and other small predators this way.

Caper March 16, 2011 at 6:29 am

I will never understand where this nasty sense of entitlement comes from. Or what even possessed those people to think you were pointing at animals. It’s not like you were holding a large sign broadcasting “animals over here !!!”. You’re mom handled this like a pro, though. I think I would have lost it on that family if I were in her situation.

DGS March 16, 2011 at 6:35 am

Your mother was quite the gracious lady. And the animal-seekers sounds like a bunch of idiots. Not just classless and rude, but downright stupid. These are the same people that are incredibly surprised to find a bear clawing and pummelling their car when they leave an open box of donuts in the backseat.

Auryn Grigori March 16, 2011 at 6:50 am

As long as the bears remember that if they eat rude tourons, it’s pinkies up!

Michelle P March 16, 2011 at 7:53 am

Love admin’s comment, and the pic! I swear when people go on a vacation, it’s manners out the door.

Robert March 16, 2011 at 8:05 am

LOL! That’s too funny. It’s kind of like when one person on a crowded street looks up at the sky for a bit. One more person stops to look and try and see what the first person is looking at. Another stops to see what the two people are looking at and pretty soon you have a whole bunch of people staring into the sky wondering what everyone else is seeing that they are not.

Too bad the boorish woman couldn’t see that by stopping she was part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Xtina March 16, 2011 at 8:09 am

This has long been a sore point for me and my husband; we’ve traveled the U.S. national parks system fairly extensively and this kind of behavior where people will pull over and all but chase a wild animal down to take its picture is all too common in the parks. There are warnings everywhere telling visitors that the animals are wild and should not be approached, but I guess people get this idea that they are on vacation in a park, and everything is touchy-feely and safe. Anyway—taking pictures of the animals is OK, but why can’t people do it without endangering themselves and bothering the animal? That’s why telephoto lenses were invented!

The OP and her brother did nothing wrong (other than disobeying their mother and not taking the children’s trail). There is certainly no rule about what one may point at, photograph, or observe from the side of the road in a park, and those tourists who chastised the OP were flagrantly in the wrong. In fact, I would say that those are the types of people who are doing a *great* job of perpetuating the “ugly American” stereotype that we’ve spoken of in the last couple of EH posts!

Mom2PBJ March 16, 2011 at 8:29 am

The bear just wants to do his business and most of the people had their cameras pointed elsewhere. Guess the bear wasn’t entertaining enough for them. Wonder if any of them got any great action shots of the bear on his hindlegs walking towards them and showing his pretty teeth.

Daisy March 16, 2011 at 8:39 am

Poor black bear! They’re actually very timid animals who frighten easily and would like to be left alone. If you’re curious about bears, you can visit the Wildlife Research Institute’s website at http://www.bearstudy.org and watch Lily and her cubs in their winter den in Ely, Minnesota.

BB/VA March 16, 2011 at 8:51 am

GO BEARS!!!

I think a lot of these folks are city people who have no clue about WILD animals. It is a shame that if they are stupid and get themselves hurt, it’s the wildlife who pays (sometimes with their lives). Use some common sense, people!!!

Maybe I am strange, but if I ever go to Pamplona, you will see me on the sidelines with a large sign that says “Go Bulls!!!”

Chocobo March 16, 2011 at 9:10 am

Har! When we went to Yellowstone it was the same — people expecting to see animals come out of the woodwork by force of will, like a zoo or something. Hello, it’s a WILDLIFE preserve. Emphasis on the WILD. I remember we saw a huge, full-grown grizzly munching on some kind of dead animal (a deer, I think) and some crazy people with normal pocket cameras walking through the grass toward it to take pictures. WHILE IT WAS EATING! Do they have any idea how protective bears are of their food, and how they react to threats? Well they should, given the dozens of signs posted about it, everywhere. The bear even started to back away, dragging the deer with it as they continued to advance. It’s like they had a death wish.

@The Elf: Go to Yellowstone in the winter time. The big hotel there is open and it’s pretty cool — you have to be taken in by these special snow vehicles because there is so much snow, and there are less (no) crowds. Granted, you can’t wander by yourself as far, mostly just the walkways around the hotel, but it is a great way to see the park without so many people. The animals are also somewhat less dangerous because they are less aggressive in the cold. You’ll see bison munching snow near the hot springs and walkways, and they aren’t as skittish.

Just FYI: I hear “Limes” a lot, but the true name is Lyme disease — it’s named after the town of Lyme, Connecticut, where the disease was first noticed in major amounts, and has spread from there. So sorry your dad had it — almost everyone in my family has had it at one point and it’s the worst (in my area, it is extremely common — tick checking is obligatory every time you go out near the trees).

LBC March 16, 2011 at 9:14 am

When we went to Yellowstone, we mostly saw bison, which was awesome. People are stupid around bison, too. One guy tried to get really close to take a picture, and then ran over his own kid when the bison turned and started to charge him (yes, this also means that he left the kid in the bison’s path). Luckily, the bison didn’t follow through.

Rachael March 16, 2011 at 9:21 am

That picture was straight from Yellow Stone’s website. Wonder what the four photographers are taking pictures of, you can tell their angle is not towards the bear in the picture.

LeeLee88 March 16, 2011 at 9:27 am

Ugh! All I can see in my head is a bunch of idiots careening to a stop at the side of the road because they think someone saw an animal. For pete’s sake, I’d say these people should just go to a zoo if they’re so desperate to see an animal, but then that would be inflicting them upon zoos, and that is simply not fair to zoos. Or to the animals in the zoo. Your mom was a class act, OP, good for her. There’s a reason why one of our major rules is, “Don’t engage the crazy”. It will always end badly if you do, and your mom was clearly understanding of the concept. What’s funny to me is that in the parks I’ve camped in that are much smaller, we have been over-run with wildlife :-P. If those dorks want to see what a real wild animal will do when it wants to get to know you better, well hey, they should come to northern PA!

LeeLee88 March 16, 2011 at 9:29 am

Also, looking at that photo of the bear, I agree that it looks like it’s just trying to take a squat. I like how its ears are back, and those idjits are still standing around like, “Oh, it’s just so majestic *flash flash flash* Hold my bag, I’m gonna get closer.”
Rule #5,567 of Life: Never interrupt a bear trying to take a #2.

LongtimeLurker March 16, 2011 at 9:36 am

I have been to Yellowstone and can tell you that anytime someone is pulled to the side of the road, a crowd forms! We had this happen when we visited with our then 3 year old DD, who was potty trained but still couldn’t give us alot of notice before she needed to “use the facilities”. We had driven to YSP from Canada, and we had brought a portable potty with us and had pulled into a trailhead parking lot for her to do her thing. Imagine our surprise when 2 vehicles full of people pulled up to “see the wildlife”. At least these people just started laughing and went on their way when they realised why we had stopped.

Margaret March 16, 2011 at 9:59 am

We live about half a day’s drive from the National Parks in the Rockies, so we go for at least a couple of days every summer. There are often wild animals along the road — elk, bear, sheep — and it is very common for cars to be pulled alongside the road looking at them. In fact, it’s an almost automatic reaction — if you see a car pulled over, you slow down to see if they are looking at wildlife. So I can understand why the cars pulled over. However, there is no excuse for the ignorant and rude comments to the children. Particularly as these were CHILDREN WALKING!

Also, when you get to our park, you are given a booklet with information about interesting spots and maps etc. There are also very clear warnings about the dangers of approaching wildlife. Invariably, if there is an animal close to the road, people get out of their vehicles to take pictures, sometimes getting within a few feet of the animal. I’ve even seen this with a grizzly bear — people taking their little children out of their vehicles to stand within ten feet of it. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Anyway, the point is that if there HAD been a wild animal, then the people should have stayed in their vehicles!

Powers March 16, 2011 at 10:01 am

DGS: Donuts? Are you sure they aren’t bear claws?

Oh Joy March 16, 2011 at 10:07 am

A little off-topic, and a bit misbehaved, but I sure used to get a kick out of stopping while walking outdoors or in a mall with a friend, looking up and pointing (quietly to each other, not making a big production), and seeing how many people would look up.

Troublemakers we were!

And, yes, those in the story who stopped then got mad were in the wrong…the kids weren’t playing tricks.

Stephen_H March 16, 2011 at 10:10 am

Yes, Casper, it is true that Yellowstone does attrach a great deal of visiters but it is worth the hassle. The best time to go is in June before the big crowds get there. We were there four years ago this summer and loved it.

I have no trouble believing the story told by the OP, as we encountered people who thought the park was a really big zoo and not a wildlife reserve and could not understand why they could not see animals on demand. If you want to see the wildlife you want, especiall bears, the best method is to pick a spot where they ofter appear and wait. Unless you are really lucky, you will have to spend a lot of time doing it.

We lucked out and saw a mommy grizzle and her cub but only at long range!

Lauren March 16, 2011 at 10:11 am

This is one of my biggest fears. If I were those kids I would have freaked out completely.

Also, why did these tourists assume that “photographs being taken in national parks = animals”? By that ‘logic’ my feet, some trees and an amusingly misspelled sign outside a gift shop would count as animals.

AS March 16, 2011 at 10:19 am

All I can say is that your mother is very graceful. I am not sure I’d have been able to keep my cool, especially if kids in my family are blamed for someone else’s stupidity. Also, I’d say it is lucky that your mother came over and found both of you. What were these stupid tourists thinking when they harass two pre-teen children because the adults think they are entitled to see animals?

Elizabeth March 16, 2011 at 10:30 am

Well, I can understand the woman’s confusion, as one good way to see any of the big animals in Yellowstone is to watch for the cars parked on the side of the road. But her behavior was unspeakably rude.

Ashley March 16, 2011 at 10:51 am

Knowing me as a kid, I would have said something to the effect of “So the mountains aren’t worth taking pictures of?” and just left.

Props to OP’s mother for keeping her cool when getting both kids out of there. This whole situation sounds like it was just the strangest day ever. Yelling at kids for “tricking” people into thinking their are animals….wow. Makes it seem like the beautiful scenery isn’t even worth it…

Cassandra March 16, 2011 at 10:52 am

As a kid we lived within a 2 hr drive from Yellowstone and would take many day trips there just to have something to do. I don’t remember many idiots but I do remember people stopping in groups to take pictures, if one person stopped so did 10-20 others. One time we stopped with a group to look at a bear..until the adults realized it was a baby bear and figured out that mama bear wouldn’t be too far behind and probably wouldn’t be too happy! We all drove off but they didn’t.
Yellowstone is a wonderful place and I would not allow the fear of a few idiots stop me from going.

DGS March 16, 2011 at 11:05 am

@Powers, YESSSSSS!!! I can see the newspaper headline now: “Bear claws car owner over bear claws”.

DGS March 16, 2011 at 11:06 am

I also think it would have been awesome if the OP could have answered to the stupid inquiry, “where are the animals?” with “Right here. They’re right here”.

Another Alice March 16, 2011 at 11:17 am

Oh, this story is HILARIOUS, and reminds me of something that happened to me once.

I live in NYC, and one day was taking out-of-town relatives around. We were in Little Italy, and two women approached me. One said (politely, I do have to say), “Excuse me, where can we find really good dessert?” If you’ve ever been to the area, you’ll know it’s wall-to-wall restaurants; I doubt even someone who’s lived in the city for 20 years would know all of them. I just said, “Hmm, well, I just walked past a bakery down that way, it looked like it had really wonderful desserts in the window.” The woman then stared at me blankly and replied, “No, no. Not just ANY desserts. We saw a place on the Food Network that was in Little Italy and had wonderful desserts. Where is that place?”

I had to admit I had no idea, and I swear to this day, the woman looked at me like I was lying to her! She just kind of frowned and said, “Oh. Um. Okay. Well, thanks,” and walked away all dejected. I felt sort of bad, but it’s hilarious when (as it’s happened to me dozens of times since) people assume another person can see inside their brain for EXACTLY what they are requesting.

This story is even better though – why would anyone assume that someone in Yellowstone was anything else but another tourist? Especially children! And to demand the information so rudely – ugh! OP’s mother was a saint.

--Lia March 16, 2011 at 11:26 am

I can’t make any excuses for those people’s bizarre and rude behavior, but I can answer the question about why people would think there had to be animals there. It’s the wildest thing, but the fastest way to find animals along the highways in Alberta’s provincial parks in the Canadian Rockies is to look around for a few cars pulled over to the side of the road. Or even one car. The first time I saw the phenomena, I thought some poor soul must be having car trouble. I thought my boyfriend was stopping to help. (That’s something he’d do without commenting. I didn’t ask; I assumed that was it.) Turns out he knew there had to be a mountain goat or bear nearby, and there was. We follow park rules, stay in our cars and photograph from a distance. In no time, there are more cars. It’s kind of fun. I’d guess that only the folks in the first car were idiot enough to assume that if the kids were taking pictures, there had to be animals. That more cars would follow was sort of a given.

CC March 16, 2011 at 12:05 pm

My husband and I live near a national park and we went to a known place to see animals that was within the park. While driving by a field, we saw a bear cub, alone, in the middle of the field. Most everyone knows that where there’s a cub, there’s a mama. There were quite a few people keeping their distance and taking pictures of the cub, but one man decided he wanted to get closer. My husband let him know that he shouldn’t get between the cub and the mama but the man called him a “Dumb redneck hick” and went over the fence anyway. He got about halfway to the cub when the cub made a loud noise and out of the woods came the mama. The man barely made it back over the fence. My husband looked at him and said “Yeah, I’m just a hick redneck. I don’t know anything about bears.” and walked off.

Shock and Awe March 16, 2011 at 12:29 pm

We see this with moose in my state. There will be a cow and a calf (female moose and baby) on the side of the road in the swampy area, suddenly 5 or 6 cars pull over and people get out of the car with flashing cameras and try to get as close as possible. Or the yahoos who start laying on the horn and flashing their lights to get the moose to look at them so they can get a good picture. They think moose are calm animals because they are so goofy looking. The truth is that moose can be incredibly violent and will charge if they feel threatened.

LovleAnjel March 16, 2011 at 12:53 pm

OP – You’re mom is a saint! She handled it perfectly! I can’t believe that women was so rude to berate you…you didn’t fool them, they fooled themselves and were embarrassed. I was one of those kids (and am one of those adults) that takes pictures of scenery…I can totally see this happening. The few larger parks I’ve been too, not only will people pull over to take pictures, they’ll call large herbivores like bison up to their cars and FEED THEM BY HAND THROUGH THE CAR WINDOW. They assume since it’s a park with roads, they are tame Disney animals. It’s ridiculous.

As for people getting too close to a bear…one of my colleagues who is a biologist saw a bear while on vacation last summer, and walked within about 15 feet of it before he hard his “derrr…bad idea” moment and backed off. Everyone has those moments as a tourist.

Skoffin March 16, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Ergh, I hate entitled people who decide to mess with nature.
It’s all too common for them to do something stupid and often the animal will pay the price.

Australian river systems seem to have this problem of non-locals wanting to go look down them,
these clods seem to have this notion that they should be able to do whatever they please even if that particular river gives many, many warnings about THE DANGEROUS SALT WATER CROCODILES that live there and *will* eat you if you disturb them. It’s not like this country is not known for its dangerous animals and isolating areas. Result being that either these clods smack these animals with their boats or once in a while one of these people will end up losing a limb or losing a life, leaving the person/family to want ‘vengeance’ on the animal. These animals are also endangered, so for every time someone kills them it means it becomes harder and harder to save the species.

Honestly, if you can’t respect nature you should stay away from it.

Mojo March 16, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Your Mum has class. Some people are just too stupid to breathe.

Example: End of the snow season – a sunny day in early spring. We’d just driven over a tight mountain pass when, out of nowhere, a fresh avalanche came down, totally blocking the road in front of us with several tons of snow. I quickly guided my partner through a three point turn, and we got out of there as fast as we could. Turning on a narrow road was scary, but we were more scared of other avalanches coming down and trapping us.

When we got back to the pass, another car was about to start down the hill. We flagged them down and warned them. I will never forget their response: “Cool, an avalanche! Lets go down and take a look! I want to see this!”. We tried, but couldn’t persuade them how stupid they were being. So we left them to it and alerted the local police. I hope they managed to dig the idiots out!

jan March 16, 2011 at 1:47 pm

My hubby and I lived in Alaska for the first 4 years of our marriage. His office had a going-away picnic for him just before we left. In the middle of the picnic we were visited by Mamma Black Bear and her 2 little cubbies. Needless to say, we all knew to let the bear alone. As she got closer to the picnic table, we got farther away. All the time I was thinking that we should absolutely let the bear have its fill. I nearly paniced when two of the guys decided to save the food by running toward the bear while banging trash can lids!! Fortunately for them, she fled instead of fought. Phew.

Mary March 16, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Great…. we’re going to Yellowstone this summer. Something to look forward to :(

Maitri March 16, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I saw the pic and thought that the OP had posted it, and I was all like “But .. but .. the OP took the bear’s picture too!” Then I read the comments and realized that EHellDame found the pic elsewhere :D

I would have burst out laughing at the woman who told me to control my children. Bwahaha!

JeanFromBNA March 16, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I think we underestimate the lack of exposure to nature that some people have. I’m always amazed when I overhear people misindentifying common animals, or not knowing what they are at all. For instance, I was at the National Zoo in DC when I overheard a woman tell her children to come look at the baby peacocks in the peacock enclosure. The baby peacocks were actually sparrows who had flown in to take advantage of the abundance of food. At Walt Disney World recently, I watched as a family struggled to determine what had surfaced in a lagoon, “That’s a fish! No, it’s a frog!” After a few minutes, I remarked, “It’s a turtle.” Dad said, “I didn’t know that turtles could swim.”

It’s sad to me, but I doubt that they realize what they’re missing. I heard of a study that found that children could identify 10 corporate logos on sight, but could not identify 10 common plants. Our observational skills have been successfully and voluntarily redirected.

Mom2PBJ March 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm

@BB/VA,

I, too, would be cheering on the bulls. They didn’t sign up for the run and anytime they get to stick it to the idiots that run with them, I cheer.

gramma dishes March 16, 2011 at 3:12 pm

When we go to National Parks, we usually go with other people and there are nearly always a plethora of telescopes, binoculars and cameras with very long lenses. We KNOW the animals are there, but we know they’re also far away.

It’s fascinating to me how so many people seem to expect the animals to be almost with petting distance and grumble around because “they” can’t see what everyone else is seeing.

One time we had three telescopes set up for about twenty of us. Some strangers came along and demanded that they and their children be given a “turn”. We did allow them to look through one of the scopes. But when we started packing them up to move on, they began swearing at us because we wouldn’t LEAVE THEM THERE for them to use! Uh . . . yeah, right.

NotCinderell March 16, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I had an opposite scenario happen recently. There’s a wildlife refuge a short drive from my home that has some really neat coastline and great birdwatching, both sea and land. It also has some nice hiking trails, and people often go there to get their daily exercise. On a day when I was there, there was a pair of red-tailed hawks that were posing for photographers. They were perched very close to the roadway, out in the open, and people were taking lots of pictures. I got my shot, took a little walk, and was headed back to my car when someone asked me what the crowd of people was looking at.

I replied that it was a pair of hawks. They rolled their eyes and seemed annoyed when I said it was only birds. As though that wasn’t a valid reason to stop and gawk.

Heather Clements March 16, 2011 at 4:02 pm

My husband was employed to do a study in the Smokies after graduate school. The University let him use one of their vehicles, which has a state seal on the side. One day as we were eating lunch at the Carlos Campbell overlook, (not far from Gatlinburg) a car pulled in beside us and rolled down the window. Assuming we were rangers I suppose, the driver asked us where the park was. He had just driven almost all the way through it! We informed him (politely) that he was in the park. He said “Aren’t there supposed to be waterfalls and stuff?” Duh, yeah, but you have to get out of your car to see them, dude! We directed him to the Park naturalist center for information on trails and the park in general. Thought about just sending him on to Pigeon Forge where the tourons gather!

Suxuemei March 16, 2011 at 4:02 pm

“It is not rude for bears to eat rude park tourists. Nom, nom, nom.”

/applause

Margaret March 16, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Just FYI if you are ever driving past a buffalo farm, there’s a reason those fences are so big. I’m told by someone who farms them that just walking along the outside of the fence can be enough to make them charge, and if they charge at you through the fence, the fence isn’t necessarily going to stand up to the assault.

I think a lot of people think of animals as Disney creatures — cute and cuddly. But ANY wild animal could seriously injure you. One time one of the wild cats (as in just like your domesticated pet cat, except living wild in the countryside) got into our house. I thought no big deal, it’s just scared, so I put on a pair of gloves and went down to pick it up and carry it outside, assuming it was just scared. It was down in our wood room, and it was literally running up and down the walls in a crazed frenzy. Thankfully it shot past me and back out the way it had come in. If it had gotten those claws and teeth into me, my flesh would have been shredded. And that’s just one regular cat.

Rhea March 16, 2011 at 5:03 pm

In Banff, the park rangers call this behavior and the resulting traffic backups “bear jams”. Unbelievably dumb.

ashley March 16, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Thats the best EHell rule to date xD

Leslie Holman-Anderson March 16, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Your story, Margaret, reminds me of the time the possum accidentally got locked in our enclosed back porch over night. But the opposite happened; it liked our back porch and wanted to stay — there were all sorts of nooks & crannies to hide in, and that’s where we stored the catfood. I wanted it out of there (you have no idea how revolting possum droppings smell) but didn’t want to hurt it, so for a few minutes I tried shooing it out. No luck. So I put on DH’s welder’s gloves for protection and went to pick up the possum — just a little possum — out of the corner where it had retreated. Weeeelllll, they may not walk fast, but their heads can move like a striking snake! Chomp! The gloves kept it from breaking skin but the bite left a teeth-shaped bruise. Fortunately it bit with its side teeth, because I got a real close look at some of the whitest, sharpest fangs I ever saw — they would have gone right through those gloves. At which point compassion went out the window, I grabbed the broom, and started smacking the dratted thing with it, eventually herding it out the back door. It spent the next two days trying to get back in. WE spent the next two days trying to get the place habitable again.

Amanda Kate March 16, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Reminds me of when my family went to a national park and a bear wandered into a campground. “Mom, it’s a bear! Come quick! Bring the camera!” Yeah, we were kind of dumb too.