Bussing Fussing

by admin on June 7, 2011

I had to share my morning adventure with you.

This morning, when the commuter bus that I ride downtown was leaving the park and ride in suburbia, a man came running across the parking lot, waving his arms and the like. The bus was already leaving, though we technically haven’t pulled out into the street yet. There was another bus behind us that leaves in about five minutes (they actually leave every five minutes for nearly two hours), but this man found it necessary to try and grab onto the bus and bang on the door.

A couple of ladies (including myself) gasped and one even screamed.

The bus driver immediately stopped the bus and opened the door. He then told this man that what he did wasn’t safe in a very calm and professional way. However, this man angrily berated the driver back… he said something to the effect of, “When I want you to stop, YOU STOP. I pay your salary.”

The bus driver then simply said, “Alright then” with what I would describe as an icy politeness. Then amazingly the rude alien from planet Booron spent probably close to a full minute fiddling with his messenger bag and wallet to get his bus pass out… which I found very annoying.

lI think it is the responsibility of the company (or maybe it is the city – I’m not sure) to see that their employees, i.e. the bus driver, enforce rules and procedures for the safety, comfort and fairness of all their customers.  However, who knows what their policies are?  I realize that it is possible that the bus driver couldn’t say anything without perhaps risking his job. It is not a matter of the bus driver standing up for himself, but of maintaining the tone of the bus company he represents. He took the correct course of action, and quite honestly the only one available to him.

Still, a part of me felt something should have been said. I know you shouldn’t correct the etiquette of strangers, but this man did something dangerous and then verbally abused the bus driver who was simply doing his job… and finally this Darwin Award finalist wasn’t even ready to board the bus… he could have spent the five minutes before the next bus left walking calmly across the parking lot and removing his bus pass from his wallet.  Bottom line, he was either a nut or a rude alien from the planet Booron (or perhaps both). You don’t confront nuts… that is very unwise. It would be a better use of my time to engage the bus company in discussion of better driver training.

Anyway, I was sitting in the front row and gave the man THE LOOK (which he either never saw or didn’t acknowledge).

Perhaps it would be best if the driver denied the man access to the bus… though like I said he was possibly a nutcase… and I think it would have created an awful confrontation. 0602-11

monica June 7, 2011 at 5:06 am

i believe the bus driver should have continued on his route. his obligation is to those who caught the bus at the agreed time and tardiness for any good reason is still tardiness. but i think stopping the bus was an instinctive reaction to the man’s (rash, imprudent and rude) actions. i really can’t see myself trying to drive with a man grabbing the door and banging on it. no one should die over such a stupid mistake but it happens and that man’s lucky at least -someone- valued his safety in that moment.

Del June 7, 2011 at 5:23 am

If he’d tried that where I live, they’d have left without him. Once the bus is off the curb, there are very, VERY few things that will get the driver to stop(I’m sure if you limped up on crutches they might cut you some slack, but that’s about it).

airlinepass June 7, 2011 at 7:47 am

This goes beyond an etiquette blunder. Recently a woman in my city chased after a bus, banging on the back side door. It was rainy and she ended up slipping under the bus. The driver didn’t have enough time to stop and the woman died at the scene. This “gentleman” was very lucky he didn’t pay the ultimate consequences for his unsafe and self-entitled actions.

Aje June 7, 2011 at 7:56 am

It’s a hard situation, unfortunately many places do not support their employees and he could have gotten in horrible trouble with his boss… but in this case, I think he should not have allowed passage. First of all, there was another bus behind him. Second of all, if you aren’t there, you AREN”T THERE. I get annoyed with school buses that wait for kids while they leisurely walk down their driveway… or who pause and wait for kids to wave out their window for them to pass. Are you people serious? You want to catch the bus you’d sure as hell better BE there!

LBC June 7, 2011 at 8:01 am

The kicker is that, not only did he expect the bus to wait for him, but he then made everyone else wait because he didn’t have his bus pass out.

I would have been tempted to remind him that he may technically pay my salary, but I get him to work to earn that money, so we’re pretty even. However, I’m adult enough to agree that it’s probably not risking a job reprimand.

AMC June 7, 2011 at 8:09 am

Y’know, I think the “I pay your salary” comment is one of the rudest things someone can say to a public employee. It drips with arrogance and entitlement. Assuming you do actually pay your taxes, that in no way gives you the right to act like a jerk and treat public employees like slave labor. They have a boss and you are not it.

What this particular Baroon did was indeed dangerous to both himself and the other passengers. I wouldn’t have blamed the driver if he had called security or the police to have the man removed from the bus.

Sabrina June 7, 2011 at 8:17 am

I guess this guy doesn’t realize that riding the bus is a privilege, not a right, which can be revoked. My dad drives a school bus for a living and has had to have kids banned from the bus for their behavior. That means the parents have to take them to school them self or find another way to get them there. Sometimes the parents get angry about their kid being banned, arguing that their kid should should still ride the bus but I’m sorry, when your child acts out or damages the bus that becomes a hazard to everyone on that bus and the bus driver is there to ensure the safe delivery of those kids. Same thing applies to adults.

Brian Katcher June 7, 2011 at 8:38 am

I think the driver did the right thing. The idiot could have been hurt, and it wasn’t worth it to sit there and argue. Sometimes you just have to be the bigger person.

Hemi Halliwell June 7, 2011 at 8:39 am

This situation is kind of tough. If the driver hadn’t stopped, the man may have injured himself or caused a traffic accident with his antics, causing injury other people.
I do agree with the OP, that the driver took the best course of action and avoided a confrontation. Sounds like the man is one of the people with entitlement issues.
His comment “I pay your salary” is incredibly rude and disgusting. I would love to know what he does for a living. Maybe other taxpayers are paying his salary.

Stepmomster June 7, 2011 at 8:48 am

I have a bus story, I am still not sure who was at fault. I was chronically late to the bus taken after school to home, because my kindergarten teacher was chronically late. I always had to run for the bus, and the driver often waited for me due to the fact my twin sister would cry if he tried to leave. I always felt embarrassed, but I was 5 years old and didn’t know I should have told another adult that I was always late.

One day I twisted my ankle, and ended up going to the nurses office just before school ended. I was very late and was limping out to the bus. When I got to the door, the bus driver told me he had had enough, and that I wasn’t allowed on the bus, and drove away with my sister. What he didn’t know was that I wasn’t going home to mom, I had a babysitter that had 8 other children and couldn’t get to me (this was before the babysitting vans we all know and love now)

I also didn’t know her phone number, or even her last name. I went back to the school office upset to find the doors locked early (staff meeting, my mom found out later) Thank god there was still a teacher left at school, who, after finding that we couldn’t get my emergency card out, and that my mom was at work until 6:30, drove me 45 minutes to my babysitters house who had called the police for help when only my sister got off the bus. (The police had a full hunt going on at the front of the school too, everyone was really relieved that a teacher had me)

I will tell you what, I was never late again, but I also never saw that bus driver again. The teacher, my babysitter and Mom and the school were so angry that he left a 5 year old girl standing alone in front of a school that the phone calls flew fast and thick that evening when I made it back to my house.

karma June 7, 2011 at 9:44 am

Hm. Tough one. The drivers are probably not allowed to snap at the passengers, and jerks like that passenger are just the type to call up the bus company to get the driver in trouble. Those are the times that the only person who can really say something is a bystander or other passenger.
@Stepmomster: the driver should have spoken to the school principal to report your chronic tardiness. Then the real story would have surfaced about the teacher being late taking your class to the buses each day. If the teacher was at fault, there would have been 20 other kids who were also late getting on their buses each day. A pattern could have been discovered by the principal.

Teapot June 7, 2011 at 9:48 am

A lady actually screamed? That made me laugh. Your fellow passengers are not like the toughened inner-city types I ride with. And the drivers are even tougher. I can see any one of the ones I usually ride with opening the door, reading the boron the riot act, then taking off without him.

Just last evening I saw a bus that had actually pulled away from the curb and was already in an intersection, moving slowly because of traffic. A woman ran across the street, into the intersection, and began pounding on the door while jogging along side it screaming at the drive to stop. Needless to say, he kept moving. She then continued to stand in the intersection screaming obscenities, bring everything to a halt.

Jessica T June 7, 2011 at 9:59 am

My 8 year old nephew (who attends the same school as my son and catches the same bus) is very ‘naughty’ he constantly wanders into ‘out of bounds’ areas. Because the school is from kindergarden to year 12 they separate the younger from the older kids for safety reasons. Anyway last week my nephew did this again, and my son and nephews little sister (in kindy like my son) got on the bus but nephew was too busy being where he was not supposed to be and missed it. The bus made it all the way out the school gates and partly down the road when nephew runs after it, straight across a busy road and IN FRONT of the bus to stop it, the bus driver only just stopped in time. My Brother in law had to go in for a meeting to discuss nephews behavior, as it was not the first time he had been in the banned area. Nephew STILL does not understand why he is in so much trouble, because it is a strict private school he is close to getting kicked out, and came so close to actually being killed this time.

Louise June 7, 2011 at 10:03 am

I think the bus driver did the right thing to stop before the man became one with the bus in an unfortunate way. And once the passenger was on the bus, it likely would have been too much hassle (and time) to kick him off. Sounds like the bus driver didn’t have a lot of options here.

Besides, who can say for sure the city wholly funds the bus service? I know in my city, it’s a bit more complicated than that; and some cities may even contract out transportation.

K June 7, 2011 at 10:07 am

I dunno about limping up on crutches. Bus never waited for me in St. Louis when I was on crutches as a preteen. If someone didn’t physically stand in the doorway and hold that bus, it took off, even though, there I was, standing at the bus stop.

Jillybean June 7, 2011 at 10:09 am

The bus drivers in my town can actually get disciplined for picking up passengers when they are not stopped, pulled over and at an official bus stop. Depending on the driver, they will, on occassion, if they see a regular running for the bus, or someone that politely flags them down, but I can assure you that most of the drivers I know would NOT have opened the doors for this man. They would have shouted out to him through the closed doors that there was another bus at the stop departing in 5 minutes.

Chocobo June 7, 2011 at 10:09 am

Maybe it’s not the best idea, but perhaps calling out “Hey, I pay my taxes too, Booron, and I was on time for the bus” might be effective… ;-)

Jillybean June 7, 2011 at 10:10 am

Oh, but of course he didn’t have his pass ready. If I’m running for a bus, I’m usually trying to catch it and wouldn’t risk missing it because I was fumbling for my pass as I ran. That said, most of the drivers I know would also just go once you were on while you dug for your pass.

Ashley June 7, 2011 at 10:28 am

I hope the guy realizes how what he was doing was terribly unsafe, not just rude. If he had been running and tripped in front of the bus or something before the driver had a chance to stop, it could have ended much worse. But even all of the safety issues aside, the man’s rudeness alone is worthy of E-hell. Nothing annoys me more than when people talk down or rudely to people just because of their jobs. Yelling at the bus driver “I pay your salary”. Yeah, okay, maybe you do. But without those bus drivers, how would you be getting to work or wherever it is you are going? Same thing with any other job. Garbage men, maids at hotels, the people behind the counter at McDonalds. All those people in jobs that others might not want help make the world go round. Don’t talk to them as if you are better than them, when by talking down to them you prove quite clearly that you are NOT better.

Bint June 7, 2011 at 10:43 am

Bus drivers in London aren’t allowed to stop once they’ve pulled away – they might do it in an emergency but otherwise it’s illegal. Still, every day at the station there are commuters running up banging on the doors when the bus is at the zebra crossing. Why bother? They don’t open the doors, they can’t, and there’ll be another one in 5 minutes.

There’s been a case here recently where a total moron parked in car *in the main road box junction* in front of the departing bus at one of our coach stations so his wife could get on! Sadly the driver lost it, got out and pushed the car off the box junction before going mad. He was had up in court but hopefully that idiot in the car also got into trouble. No way would I have let the guy’s wife on. No way.

DGS June 7, 2011 at 11:15 am

Clearly, this is not a big East Coast urban metropolis like the one I reside in, where a bus driver would not stop come hell or high water and would probably give the man a mouthful to boot…not that this would have necessarily been the right thing to do, but certainly tempting! And saying “I pay your salary” is very rude and entitled. A taxpayer also pays teachers, police and firefighters’ salaries, but you kind of need all those people to get you educated, protect you from peril and rescue you from burning buildings.

Random June 7, 2011 at 11:34 am

My mom, who used to work for our town library, had the perfect comeback when people pulled the “I pay your salary” remark. She would say, “I live in this town too. I pay my own salary!”

karen June 7, 2011 at 11:54 am

In Boston, a group of teenagers recently *stabbed* a bus driver when he told one of them to put his cigarette out. That driver of OP’s bus may have decided not to argue with a crazy person.

I take a city bus everyday- sometimes the driver will stop for someone running after them, sometimes not, depending on schedule, the weather, the driver’s mood etc etc.

I’m certainly guilty of hurrying down the sidewalk waving my pass at the driver, but I’m always sure to say “Thank You” and scurry as fast as possible, because I know that every time that driver stops, everyone on the bus needs to wait.

The Elf June 7, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I’ve been the lucky recipient of a few stopped buses over the years. If I’m heading towards the stop and I see the bus already there, I’ll start running. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don’t. Sometimes they wait, most of the time they don’t. If the bus isn’t early (which happens), there’s no one to blame but myself so I don’t get my panties in a twist. If they do wait, I thank them.

Lesson #1 in public transportation: Always have your ticket/card/pass/fare ready. Mine goes in the front pocket of my bag and there is nothing else in that pocket. Not only is it the polite thing to do (for the drivers, for your fellow passengers, for everyone), but it’ll save you heartache when you really need to have it handy. That he didn’t have it ready tells me that he’s new to the bus. Likely, he feels the bus is somehow a step down from whatever it was he did before, that he’s better than the bus. Hence, his rude and condescending comment.

nannerdoman June 7, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Since public employees also pay taxes, isn’t it safe to say they pay their own salaries?

A Special Snowflake without a bus pass.

Stepmomster June 7, 2011 at 12:48 pm

@Kharma well yes but that would have been too much work, it was easier to be angry at a child. he is probably still telling the story about “That brat” that got him fired. As for 20 other children being late, we we only had about 17 kids in the class, and I was the only one that took that particular bus, Me and my sister lived pretty far out of the district. This was back when they actually funded the bus system better, and you would see 15 to 20 buses lined up at the walk. Had he complained, or checked with the other drivers he would have seen that there was at least 5 other buses that were late as well.

Also, because she could SEE the buses outside lined up, she would just let us all run out the door. back in the 80′s they were still figuring out child safety.

Jillybean June 7, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Louise- as a public employee I like that fantasy. I won’t use it, but in my head, I’ll sure be thinking it now.

Kim June 7, 2011 at 1:25 pm

What the letter-writer could do to show support for the laudably polite and responsible driver, while not being rude to the extraterrestrial from Booron (richly though he deserved it), is to write a letter to the local transit authority. The letter should praise this driver (by name and/or driver ID number) for showing exemplary professional and courteous behavior while dealing with a flaming jackass. (Don’t go into details of exactly what the driver did: although it was probably the right thing to stop the bus once the jackass was actually clinging on and banging on the door, it might be against official policy for the driver to stop in such cases after having pulled away from the bus stop. You don’t want to get the poor driver in trouble while attempting to give him a boost!)

Elizabeth June 7, 2011 at 1:59 pm

It sounds like the OP’s question is not “was the guy an asshole?” (yes) or “what should the bus driver have done?” (probably just what he did), but “what, if anything, can another passenger do?”

You can write a letter. It would have been better if you had gotten the driver’s name, but if you have the route number and time, that may be enough. Write a letter to the metro company, praising the driver’s professionalism in the face of extreme provocation. It doesn’t need to be long – not even as long as the email you sent etiquettehell – but a nice letter from a passenger saying that you were impressed with how the driver coped gracefully under difficult conditions will be at the very least nice for him, and might even get him recognized at work.

Rattus June 7, 2011 at 2:04 pm

*Oh, but of course he didn’t have his pass ready. If I’m running for a bus, I’m usually trying to catch it and wouldn’t risk missing it because I was fumbling for my pass as I ran.*

I don’t use a pass, but that is why my token is in my pocket before I leave the house. People digging through their bags and wallets while a crowd builds up behind them irk me to no end. Also, people *cough – women* who conclude their transaction at the bank machine or grocery line by organizing the interior of their purse. Just shove everything in their, zip up and go organize your purse at your desk or at home.

grumpy_otter June 7, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Louise said: “In my fantasy, every time a public employee hears, “I pay your salary!” s/he whips out a penny and say, “Here’s your refund” and the rude person dissipates.”

ROFL! I’m going to use that next time one of my college student complains about one of my class rules. I often hear things like “I paid for this class, so can’t . . . (do whatever)!”

I get paid about $5/hour, so a penny per student would be about right!

IMO, the bus driver did exactly the right thing–had he continued on, the person might have been injured. Had he tried to throw the boor off the bus, a longer delay would have ensued. In cases like these, sometimes the only thing to do is be smugly satisfied that we, the holders of perfect etiquette credentials [insert smirk], are much better people than the moron who yelled at the hardworking bus driver.

Chocobo June 7, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Teapot — I thought the same thing. The rest of the passengers were apparently silent. If it were in my city, the rest of the bus would have been heckling the late man for being an idiot.

My mother stopped double parking for any period of time when she was living in New York City 30 years ago. She was on the bus when it drove by a really nice, expensive brand car that was double parked. As they drove by the bus took off one of the side mirrors of the pricey car, and the bus driver just said: “Shouldn’ta double parked”, and kept going.

Brenda June 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I ride a commuter bus (crosses through a couple of towns and across a bay) and the drivers tend to be a little nicer than the city drivers, but most of them would not have stopped (even though the buses only run every 30 to 45 minutes). But if someone ran up and grabbed at the door, they would have stopped, told the guy to get away, and if he didn’t they would have called the cops.

As commented by others, there are safety issues involved. Although my bus company may not be the best, they will back up a driver over a safety issue; they do not want to be sued. They will kick people off, refuse them service, etc. if the passenger causes a safety issue. I’ve seen them toss people for being too loud.

I would contact the transit agency and lodge a complaint. There should be film of the person and the bus pass information should be in the system. Time to ban the guy.

WrenskiBaby June 7, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Rattus — I always cram everything into my purse with the intention of “sorting it out later.” As if. LOL!

I applaud the bus driver’s self-control. He acted appropriately. Mr. Booron will reap what he has sown. I believe that bad behavior comes back to bite you, hard. OP, do write a letter as others have suggested.

Snowy June 7, 2011 at 3:12 pm

In my own fantasy, next time that boor cries, “I pay your salary!” to a bus driver, the response is, “Not anymore you don’t” and a lifetime ban.

Feh.

Anna June 7, 2011 at 4:09 pm

In my town the buss is free which is nice. Sadly it only comes once per hour and stops at 7 pm. During the summer there is also no buss on the weekends. Thankfully the town is not to big so if I just miss the buss I rather walk home as that takes me an hour so shorter than waiting and then sitting on the buss.

Sadly I have often been this person running after the buss and probably half the town to because not only are our drivers really rude but also often ether 10 minutes late or 5 minutes to early and they are known for simply skipping stops for no reason driving past you.

I know most people would say “go complain” but there is no use because this isn’t a great paying job or a very fun one so no one wants to drive the buss. So we are stuck with rude drivers and to have to run after the bus.

SS June 7, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I have done exactly as some others have mentioned….. There was a woman that was cussing and swearing while waiting for a bus (the commuter bus that takes us to the train station). When the bus arrived, sShe complained at the driver while she got on. Then she kept yelling at the driver for not running red lights and complaining at him because he was obeying the speed limit and traffic rules (not that he had much choice since we were in essentially bumper-to-bumper downtown rush hour traffic). It was a continuous stream of abuse from her. Finally, at one traffic light, the driver turned to her and calmly said “Ma’am, I will get you there when I get you there.” and turned back to his driver. That shut her up for a few shocked moments…. then she started ranting about his attitude and how dare he talk to her like that etc cetera for the rest of the trip.

As soon as I got home, I immediately emailed the transit authority and gave them the bus number, route number and time and warned them that I expected that they might hear a complaint from a woman about this driver and that I wanted to make sure there was a note in his file that this woman had a chip on her shoulder before getting on and that the driver was not at fault in any way. I did receive an email a few weeks later thanking me for my information in the incident.

ashley June 7, 2011 at 5:24 pm

In a better world this man’s bus pass would have been taken away by angry etiquette ninjas…

Isabella June 7, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I have to play devil’s advocate here. I don’t entirely agree with the original post. Buses can be early, late, or use the bus schedule as a tentative guideline. I don’t know about this situation where it apparently passes every five minutes but for buses that pass every half hour to one hour, I fully understand where this guy is coming from.

I firmly believe if a bus driver sees someone running for the bus, he or she should wait a moment for them. This driver seems to have seen this man running and decided to ignore his frantic attempt to catch the bus. I understand that it’s different if the bus passes every five minutes. However, generally speaking, I think it’s rude for a bus driver to purposefully leave when a passenger is hurrying to make a bus.

Jessyy June 7, 2011 at 5:53 pm

@ Stepmomster

At my school we have buses that in the afternoons take everyone from Year 3s (age 5/6) up to Year 12s (17/18). If you’re not there when the bus leaves, your fault. If you run up to it (even if its about to drive out) it WILL stop. I can remember a number of times where the younger years (Years 3-6) have started getting upset because someone hasn’t got there and it’s meant to go, and more often than not the driver will happily wait an extra 5 minutes.

I’m amazed that that driver drove off AND YOU WERE THERE. Good on the school/bus company for firing him.

Jillybean June 7, 2011 at 6:31 pm

@Rattus – my pass is in the pocket of my Nook. I can have it out of my purse in 10 seconds. Unzip, pull it out, flip the cover open and boom, I’m all set. But, if I were running to catch the bus, I wouldn’t be trying to unzip my purse as I ran. Having my pass in my pocket is a good way to end up with it stolen or lost.

Laura June 7, 2011 at 7:48 pm

At the public transit system in my city, the bus drivers are not allowed to open doors after they depart from the curb/ terminal/ stop. This is an enormous risk to safety. And many of the operators would not react to a tirade from a passenger like that. I am not sure why the OP thinks that it would have been good for the operator to say something beyond what he did say- what would be accomplished. We are always saying that it is not polite to counter rudeness with rudeness. And as other posters have pointed out- the operator will get nothing but a complaint filed (if not something worse!) if he yells at a passenger.
I agree that it would be better of the OP to send a letter to the public transit company to explain what happened.

Melly June 7, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Stepmomster, the bus driver was in the wrong at least in my area of the woods. Unless a student is absent or the parents have called beforehand stating they’ll pick up a student a schoolbus cannot leave without all the students accounted for. Doesn’t matter if they’re late, the bus driver and school can get into so much trouble. It’s beyond an etiquette matter at that point. The driver likely lost his job and for good reason.

I feel for the bus driver in this situation, but with the amount of people deciding to assault bus drivers over small, petty things I think a lot of them are afraid of being assaulted. It’s not uncommon and depending on where you are, it’s a very real danger. It might be more of a North American thing since I’ve noticed on buses in Europe they’re behind shields whereas in a lot of places in North America they aren’t. I wish people wouldn’t assault bus drivers, especially over a 3 dollar fare. Is it really worth it?

Amy June 7, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Just a thought; the OP could call the driver’s employer and tell them how he was mis-treated, that he handled it professionally, etc.

I ride a school bus with middle-school-aged special education students, and if they come up to the bus screaming and battering the door, we don’t open the it. I roll down the window and tell the parent it is not safe to transport a child with that behavior. If a kid is mad enough about something to hit the bus, I have no reason to believe he or she will not hit the other students, and I have a responsibility to their safety as well as my own, other drivers, etc. I think if were the OP’s bus driver, I’d have stopped, left the door closed, spoken to the nut out the window or through the door, and not subjected my passengers to a bus ride with a crazy person.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20. Maybe I’d have opened the door out of surprise and the expectation that adults act like adults, and regretted it.

The Elf June 8, 2011 at 7:22 am

Isabella, rule #2 of public transportation is to be 5 minutes early. This is a tough one for me because I have time management issues! But if I can manage it, so can this dude. The bus I take sometimes stops every half hour. The commuter train I used to take had a 20 minute+ wait between trains. If you are late it really does throw off your commute horribly! I already have a long commute and I really don’t want to make it even longer. That’s why I get there 5 minutes early.

If you are late, take ownership of your lateness and don’t expect everyone else to be late because of you. If they do, bonus! If not, settle in for the wait because you have no one to blame but yourself. If the bus is early, the bus should wait. That’s a different story. Also different are those public transportation systems without firm schedules. But if the schedule says 5:07 pick-up, you should be there at 5:02, latest, and not expect a ride if you get arrive at 5:07 and it is pulling away.

The Elf June 8, 2011 at 8:34 am

Forgot to add: Since this bus runs every 5 minutes, what he did is truly crazy. A commuter bus I used to ride had this schedule – every 10 minutes during morning and evening rush. If you missed one, it just wasn’t a big deal.

Calliope June 8, 2011 at 9:59 am

Isabella, if the bus driver waited for every person running for the bus, there’d be no point in having a bus schedule.

Enna June 8, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Bus driver should have said something about the idiot holding on to the door – “you may pay my salary but you can’t do that nor pay or enjoy a lot of other things if you fall underneath the bus and die due to your own stupidity.” Normally they have cameras on buses so there is a record of that idiot hanging and banging on the door, if the man did complain about the bus driver then I’m sure he wouldn’t have a leg to stand on.

Today I nearly missed the bus – I was 10 feet away from the bus stop and walked a bit faster – wasn’t near the road so couldn’t fall in it and I did half expect the bus to drive on by so I didn’t wave as I thought I might distract the driver. However the bus driver stopped and the first thing I said was “thank you I thought I was too late,” so he knew if he had gone on I would have expected that.

Enna June 8, 2011 at 12:23 pm

@ Stepmonster: I think the bus driver should have asked why you were late, maybe he should have handed you a note to pass on to your parents and he should of asked to talk to the headteacher – as you were late coming out of school. He shoud have written to parents/spoke to headteacher not about your lateness but the effect it had on you sister that it made her cry but he doesn’t know if you are okay and whether he should report a missing child. That way the problem would have been addressed and the teacher wouldn’t have kept you back so late. He shouldn’t have driven off like that and left you standing, even if you were being late on your own I’m sure the school could have arranged for a teacher to escort you to the bus until you lerant to do it yourself and your parents reinforcing it. The fact that this had started off an emergancy serach for a missing child that turned out to be an unavoidable false alrm and therefore a waste of resources because he was too bad tempered rather then try to solve the problem it’s his own fault he lost his job.

Enna June 8, 2011 at 12:24 pm

P.S I meant to say : “not just about your lateness but in addition too” not “not about your lateness but the effect it had on you sister that it made her cry but he doesn’t know if you are okay and whether he should report a missing child”.