Feel Good Friday

by admin on July 22, 2011

I feel *real* good this Friday.   That is because I became a grandmother for the first time on Wednesday afternoon.

Some of you were aware of the impending event from an earlier post in which I revealed a unique diaper cake I had made for my daughter’s shower.  It was very feminine, very pink with a doll and pink receiving blankets and bibs, etc.  The shower was a celebration of pinkness and pretty feminine dresses and adorable tiny Mary Jane shoes.   Two ultrasounds indicated it was a girl and we were confident in medical technology.

Imagine our surprise when baby made a debut and it was a BOY!  Seven pounds, eleven ounces of pure baby manliness.   The screams of “WHAT!!???!!,” echoed from cell tower to tower as the texted news flashed across the cell phones of friends and family. They actually had a boy’s name very early on but were still struggling to find a girl’s name they liked.  Guess we now know why.   A lot of us are hard at work changing the pronoun from “she” and “her” we had been so used to saying for months, to “he” and “him”.    Youngest daughter and I beelined it to the nearest Wal-Mart and bought oodles of boy onesies, bibs, shoes, socks, outfits since my oldest daughter had not one stitch of boy clothing to put on the little man.

Mom and baby are doing great.

“So, you thought I was a girl.  What an interesting assumption.”

Mother of 3 July 22, 2011 at 9:04 am

Great photo! Congratulations on a beautiful baby in the family. (Oh, and up until last century or so, pink was considered a manly colour, so don’t worry about those clothes. Also I honestly don’t think he’ll suffer from a pair of pink socks. He’s nice and warm skin to skin with his mum, that’s all that matters.)

AS July 22, 2011 at 9:10 am

Congratulations to everyone in your family. Hope he brings lot of joy for several years to come. Thanks for sharing the news and photograph with us. I love the way the baby is looking directly at his mom. That should be one of the best feelings on earth.

This has got to be one of the best Feel Good Fridays.

Maybe baby wanted to surprise everyone :). Do babies get to see pictures of baby shower thrown thrown to their mother in their favor (I wouldn’t know because we don’t throw baby showers in our culture). If he gets to see, it might be comic to see all the pink stuff.

Suzy July 22, 2011 at 9:11 am

He is gorgeous! The best feel good Friday – congratulations!

Samantha July 22, 2011 at 9:12 am

Congrats! I would have kept the girly stuff rather than get boy stuff (not going to do the little one any harm to wear pink) – or really, I would have bought all blue in the first place because I love blue! I hope it wasn’t too hard on the wallet to replace it all!

Serenity S. July 22, 2011 at 9:15 am

Congratulations to you, the baby’s parents, and other relatives! What a beautiful baby!!! Definitely a great Feel Good Friday!

gramma dishes July 22, 2011 at 9:22 am

Your daughter is quite beautiful — and justifiably proud. That’s a handsome young man indeed!
Based solely on my own personal experience, you’re going to LOVE being a Grandma! ;-)

vanessaga July 22, 2011 at 9:24 am

Wow! Congrats to you all. When I was pregnant with my daughter, pregnancy hormones made me adamant that she must be a girl. I had 2 ultrasounds and a 3d ultrasound that said she was but I spent months worrying and berating my husband with “what if its a boy!?” 5 minutes before she was born as I was getting ready to push, I finally realized it didn’t matter and said as much-and it didn’t. I just held my beautiful bundle of joy. Finally after 5 minutes or so, the midwife said, “hey did you check to see if she was a girl?” (i actually “caught” her-with the midwife’s help). I did and she was but it no longer mattered.

Insomniac July 22, 2011 at 9:26 am

Many, many congratulations to you all!!!!

Lesson learned: always buy gender-neutral styles and colors! I always thought it kinda ruined the surprise if you knew what you were getting beforehand.

This probably won’t be the last time he shakes everything up for ya’ll. Good luck!

Flora July 22, 2011 at 9:27 am

Congratulations, but why not use the pink stuff for the first few months? Or was it new grandmother “yay I get to buy a whole bunch of blue stuff now” excitement?

admin July 22, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Flora, Youngest daughter and I had a blast buying boy clothes. We had been so focused on girl clothes that we hadn’t even looked at the cute boy outfits before. I think they took him home from the hospital today dressed in an adorable pair of blue plaid shorts and a cute Pooh onesie. Then there are the adorably cute little sneakers, little overalls, baby camo ( we laughed ourselves to death and then bought it). Any excuse to go shopping for cutesy baby clothes.

kudeebee July 22, 2011 at 9:29 am

Congratulations! Being a grandma is the best thing there is! Enjoy!

Bibianne July 22, 2011 at 9:36 am

Congratulations!!! A beautiful wee man. So are you a grandma. Nana? Oma? Grandmaman? Whichever you choose… enjoy every moment of it!

Leigh July 22, 2011 at 9:41 am

Congratulations! That is wonderful, exciting news. And I am sure he will be the best-behaved little boy in the world! :)

Tracey July 22, 2011 at 9:41 am

What a wonderful surprise!! Great Feel Good Friday, Grandma!! Much love and blessings!

Tagsmom July 22, 2011 at 9:46 am

Just my 2 cents: Beautiful baby boy! Congrats to your daughter, and to you!

Jojo July 22, 2011 at 9:57 am

Congratulations! What a beautiful little boy. I’m sure he wont care what colours you put him in – bet those pink baby grows will be great for sleeping in at night :-)

Wendy July 22, 2011 at 10:03 am

Hee! I love it! Congratulations, Admin, to you and yours!

Daisy July 22, 2011 at 10:10 am

Mazeltov! What a handsome little fellow! And surprising Mum and Dad already – better fasten your seat belts!

TWise July 22, 2011 at 10:14 am

He’s absolutely beautiful and perfect!! Congrats!

Anna July 22, 2011 at 10:19 am

Congratulations to your family!! What a funny surprise, and subsequent fun story to start the next generation.

Anna July 22, 2011 at 10:35 am

Congratulations! He’s delightful.

Ashley July 22, 2011 at 10:40 am

Hehehe what a cute little guy! Congrats to you and your family!

SHOEGAL July 22, 2011 at 10:49 am

Super picture – absolutely wonderful surprise. Enjoy every lovely moment with him. Congratulations!!!

Abby July 22, 2011 at 11:05 am

Ain’t technology great? :)

Congrats on the new addition to the family!

Angie July 22, 2011 at 11:11 am

That is a beautiful picture and congratulations to all.

Mommyomy July 22, 2011 at 11:17 am

CONGRATULATIONS!

Rae July 22, 2011 at 11:18 am

Congratulations! What a wonderful yet surprising story.

nannerdoman July 22, 2011 at 11:22 am

That look on his adorable little face? He’s thinking–“Thought I was a girl? What an interesting assumption!”

Jessie July 22, 2011 at 11:26 am

WOWZA! What a shock that must have been! But he is beautiful just the same! Congratulations on your new grandSON, and congratulations to your daughter and son-in-law and entire family. What a precious gift from above!

Just think, if he was a surprise NOW, just imagine what surprising and wonderful things he might be capable of in his life to come! =)

Auryn Grigori July 22, 2011 at 11:32 am

Congrats!

Heather July 22, 2011 at 11:34 am

This is the best Feel Good Friday post EVER!! I think this should be a regular feature! Every fourth Friday we should get a new grandbaby picture and an update!!

Rosie July 22, 2011 at 11:39 am

Congrats and many blessings.

AmethystAnne July 22, 2011 at 11:43 am

Handsome boy, gorgeous mother! What a surprise! Congratulations to everyone. Being a grandmother is so much fun. What ‘grandmother’ name would you like him to call you?

Leslie Holman-Anderson July 22, 2011 at 11:47 am

That is the most beautiful and touching baby picture I’ve ever seen. Congratulations both on the wonderful new addition to your family and on your amazing photography.

DottyG July 22, 2011 at 11:54 am

Congratulations to all of you! What a handsome boy he is! I’m so happy for you. :)

(Notice that there’s another Dotty who posted above. That’s not me, by the way. Looks like we have another Dotty in our midst.)

Crystal July 22, 2011 at 12:11 pm

There are few things in life that compare with holding a newborn and gazing into their sweet little face- congratulations!

evely28 July 22, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Great picture. Congratulations to all and much enjoyment of the “little man”.

Ellen July 22, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Congratulations to your entire family on the birth of the precious boy. I hope he fills your life with lots of equally joyous surprises!

Monica July 22, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Congratulations! They look great! He looks pleased with the little surpirse he pulled on everyone. :)

SV July 22, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Heartfelt congratulations to you, your daughter and her new little family!! Adorable sweet photo of an unforgettable moment. Enjoy!

JediKaiti July 22, 2011 at 1:37 pm

What a cutie! Congrats!

Marno July 22, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Congratulations! Interesting bit of historical baby trivia for you: pink was actually a “boy” colour and blue was “for” girls! This was because pink was considered a milder version of red (associated with assertiveness). Blue may have had its associations with the Virgin Mary. Of course, people weren’t especially rigid about it as a baby was a baby. The colour+gender association got switched around in the early 20th century and the codification became more entrenched as marketing firms ran with it and department stores urged people to buy more and more consumer goods with their growing disposable incomes. Having strong colour associations with gender helped make shopping for baby goods more ritualized and compelling. And who can resist dressing up those cute li’l squirmers? :)

Peg July 22, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I’ve heard that newborns don’t really focus and ‘see’ but your grandson looks as if he’s looking right at his mom’s face! It’s such a wonderful picture! Thanks for sharing it!

Layla July 22, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Congratulations!

guihong July 22, 2011 at 2:36 pm

He’s precious! He even looks like he’s saying “Fooled you, Mommy!”

Congratulations!

Reika July 22, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Congrats on the newest addition to your family. And like a previous poster said, “What an interesting assumption” actually applies. ;)

And it looks like the little guy is already trying to smile in that picture.

DGS July 22, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Congratulations, and what a beautiful family!

Kippie July 22, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Congratulations! That photo is the epitome of true love!

ladycrim July 22, 2011 at 3:35 pm

What a sweet photo!

He’s adorable, Miss Jeanne! Congratulations! What’s his name?

danielle July 22, 2011 at 4:42 pm

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lily G July 22, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Just a note: ultrasounds to determine sex are notoriously unreliable. Do not make any decisions based on one. I have found believe it or not, parents’ dreams are more accurate. I had a parent who had not one, not two but 17 (not a typo) U/S saying his child was a boy. He had consistently dreamed of crossing a bridge holding the hand of a small child in a red dress and had grieved over not getting his daughter. He had several sons and wanted a girl, but was happy with a healthy child.

Guess what?-I have never been so happy in my life to say “It’s a girl!”