Googly Eyed Tomatoes Exposes Entitled Brats

by admin on August 30, 2011

Ooooh, you all are going to LOVE reading this story.

Adult children’s ‘bad mothering’ lawsuit dismissed

Raised in a $1.5 million Barrington Hills, Ill., home by their attorney father, two grown children have spent the last two years pursuing a unique lawsuit against their mom for “bad mothering” that alleges damages caused when she failed to buy toys for one and sent another a birthday card he didn’t like.

The alleged offenses include failing to take her daughter to a car show, telling her then 7-year-old son to buckle his seat belt or she would contact police, “haggling” over the amount to spend on party dresses and calling her daughter at midnight to ask that she return home from celebrating homecoming.

Last week, at which point the court record stood about a foot tall, an Illinois appeals court dismissed the case, finding that none of the mother’s conduct was “extreme or outrageous.” To rule in favor of her children, the court found, “could potentially open the floodgates to subject family childrearing to … excessive judicial scrutiny and interference.”

In 2009, the children, represented by three attorneys including their father, Steven A. Miner, sued their mother, Kimberly Garrity. Steven II, now 23, and his sister Kathryn, now 20, sought more than $50,000 for “emotional distress.”

Miner and Garrity were married for a decade before she filed for divorce in 1995, records show.

Click here for more of the story.

The remaining part of this news article describes the “inappropriate” birthday card as being American Greetings card that had a picture of tomatoes spread across a table that were indistinguishable except for one in the middle with craft-store googly eyes attached.  The inside printed sentiment was,  “Son I got you this Birthday card because it’s just like you … different from all the rest!”   Mom had the audacity to write, “Have a great day! Love & Hugs, Mom xoxoxo.”

Cruel, sadistic mother!  Her nefariousness is compounded even further when she failed to put any money in the card.  Folks, we are witnesses to the greatest evil ever inflicted upon poor, innocent children.  Googly eyes.   Got that?  Googly eyes plus no money is a deprivation tantamount to emotional abuse.   You all watch out because if I ever put a picture of a googly eyed vegetable in my responses here, you will know that I intended the highest form of ugly commentary on you I could think of.

Spoiled rotten brat, um, ahem (cough, cough), I mean Kathryn Miner, aged 20, claims being told by her mother to come home at midnight from a homecoming party and having a budget restriction for a dress were all deprivations so profound that years later she is irreparably damaged.

As someone in the article’s comments noted, the internet can be forever and deep stupidity such as this will live on in infamy for DECADES (cue the horror violins).  What employer or future spouse would ever hire or date either Kathryn Miner, age 20, or Steven Miner II, age 23?  If either adult child turns out to be a ne-er-do-well, can we say we were surprised?

I am disappointed that the judge in this case, Kathy Flanagan,  declined to assess sanctions against the children’s lawyer, who just happened to be their father, Steven A. Miner.  Remember that name all you Chicago area readers…do you really want to hire this kind of idiot attorney?   Flanagan should have slapped Miner with paying Garrity’s legal fees for bringing a frivolous, ridiculous, and obviously vengeful lawsuit on behalf of his kids.

David August 30, 2011 at 4:24 am

I can imagine hiring one of these children. The lawsuit that would result from your asking them to work late would dissuade me from hiring either of them.

The same with dating – definitely wouldn’t be worth the effort. Of course, they might sue you for emotional distress if you didn’t ask them out on a date…

Hopefully there is somewhere to donate money to the mother’s legal fees. Poor woman – hopefully she’s looking into lifetime restraining orders against all involved.

lkb August 30, 2011 at 5:39 am

Wow! My flabber has been gasted!

I feel sorry for the parents. Not only have their children publicly embarrassed them, they have to realize that something in their upbringing led the kids to think this ridiculous lawsuit was a good and right thing to do. Whether it was the result of bad parenting (and certainly bad parenting means something worse than a birthday card, curfews and “failing” to take a child on an outing) or not, that shadow of doubt will always be there.

The late Jackie Kennedy Onassis said something like, “If you bungle raising your kids, I don’t think anything else you do in life matters very much.” Seems to fit here.

If the family in question can salvage anything like a normal family relationship after something like this, they are better people than I am.

kelly August 30, 2011 at 5:47 am

How can you take someone to caught for something that is not outlawed, even criminally or in civil courts. I fail to see why the judge is not making the brats pay the mothers fees. I have a feeling that the mother is the one with the money, and the father wants it. The children’s lawyer, the father, knew this was a frivolous case with no hope of winning, but it seems he took it on for his own reasons rather than the good of his clients. He should be debarred.

LeeLee88 August 30, 2011 at 6:52 am

Oh the humanity! Who among you will not weep for them, as they rage against such horrors as a mother who actually cares? My heart just bleeds for them. Yeah.

What a bunch of screw ups. And the poor mother probably thought she got away from the crazy when she divorced the husband, only to find that nope, her kids are just as bad, if not worse.

Iris August 30, 2011 at 7:01 am

The poor dears. I positively weep for them. [/sarcasm]

The saddest part of this is that it was allowed to go on so long and no doubt accrue a large legal bill for the mother.

QueenofAllThings August 30, 2011 at 7:04 am

I had a lot to say, but realized the whole thing was too sad and horrifying to really say anything …

Virg August 30, 2011 at 7:25 am

The part of this that escapes me is why Steven A. Miner hasn’t been charged with barratry. The suit is quite obviously an attack disguised as a tort suit, and it’s hard to maintain faith in the legal system that would allow such attacks to go unanswered. If more attorneys were charged, disbarred and punished for this sort of thing we’d see a lot less of it.

Virg

MyFamily August 30, 2011 at 7:29 am

Yes, a horrible mother she is, setting boundries and limits.

Unfortunately, this incidint goes to show that it takes more than setting boundries to raise good kids.

Anyone know if a defense fund has been set up for Kathy Flanagan? I don’t normally donate to that type of thing, but in this case, I’m feeling the need.

iridaceae August 30, 2011 at 7:46 am

“Waaaaaaaah! My mom doesn’t love me because she won’t give me lots of money and exercised parental responsibility!”

Sarah Jane August 30, 2011 at 8:15 am

There’s a place for people like this, and I mean worse than ehell.

J's Mama August 30, 2011 at 8:17 am

What nasty, horrible, entitled “children.” I truly believe in karma, and I can only hope that one day they have a child just like them.

Cherry August 30, 2011 at 8:34 am

Entitled little monsters!
It seems pretty clear that the father has a hand in this. Surely that would have been obvious the second he was revealed as the brats’ lawyer.
The really sad thing is that the mother’s so called “crimes” sound to me like attempts to install some discipline in the horrors she’s forced to call offspring.

I have the perfect idea for revenge – in the mother’s will, she should leave the $50,000 they tried to sue for to a charity in her children’s name, and leave them not a penny more in any other form.
But then, they’d probably just try to sue the charity.

Wim August 30, 2011 at 8:42 am

Hear, hear!
When I read about this story in yesterday’s paper (yes, thanks to the globalised world we live in, the Malicious Miner Moaners have been picked up by the Belgian media as well), I immediately thought of the other entitlement stories posted and discussed here over the years, and thought this one really took the cake. The sheer stupidity and arrogance of these kids is outrageous, but looking at their father’s role in this story, it obviously runs in the family.

And no, I’m not just saying that because I adore googly eyes and sometimes glue them to a mango to surprise my boyfriend when he opens the fridge ;-)

GroceryGirl August 30, 2011 at 8:42 am

” What employer or future spouse would ever hire or date either Kathryn Miner, age 20, or Steven Miner II, age 23?”

Good point. I fear even passing one of these two on the street for fear they will sue me for unsettling the balance of the Earth or polluting their air with my work-class carbon dioxide!

Baku-chan August 30, 2011 at 8:43 am

It never ceases to amaze me how ungrateful some are to their parents. Be lucky your Mom allowed you to attend Homecoming and let you get yourself a new dress. She could have easily told you to wear an old dress. Be lucky your Mom acknowledged your birthday with a card rather than ignoring it. Makes me think of these kids who call the cops on their parents for taking their X-Box; they never think how lucky they are to have parents who let them have one in the first place.

Margo August 30, 2011 at 8:47 am

I saw this story (it made it over the pond to the UK) and was appalled. Setting boundries such as what time you have to be home by, limits on spending etc. are all, I would have thought, examples of GOOD parenting (how cruel, and throughtless, is it, to raise a child to believe that they can always have what they want, when they want it, without regard to budgets or practicalities?)

And as for birthday cards – what a nasty, money-grabbing little so-and-so to assume that ANYONE (parent or not) OWED them money or any other gift. It sounds as though these two gimme pigs would have grown up into much nicer people had they remained in their mother’s care, she seems to have had some sensible, responsible ideas about how to parent.

It isn’t hard to see why she divorced their father, though, is it?

Quieas August 30, 2011 at 8:48 am

Oh my…

Quieas August 30, 2011 at 8:49 am

To add:

If I ever thought of doing this to my mother, she would give me a REAL reason to try and sue her and even then I wouldn’t dare do it. Haha.

Hemi Halliwell August 30, 2011 at 8:49 am

!@#$%^&*. I am so stunned that I’m AFRAID to comment further.

Wheelchair Bling August 30, 2011 at 8:54 am

Huh. The quoted examples sound like “good mothering” to me! I wonder of the mother could bring a suit for barratry? Maybe even get daddy disbarred…

coralreef August 30, 2011 at 8:56 am

Good thing I was not the judge at that hearing, or the father and his two spoiled, entitled and shameless spawns would have received the Come-to-Deity speech of a lifetime, as well as a fine for such a frivolous lawsuit. I guess they don’t have much of a life if all they can think about is a tomato birthday card, a dress or a curfew.

I had a friend who worked for child services in the US and she used to tell me stories a bit similar to this. Between truly horrible stories of abused and neglected children, she would be faced with teens asking for help because their parents gave them veggies for dinner. Oh, the humanity!

That’s it, I’m heading for jail and I don’t look good in either orange jumpsuits or black and white stripes. I’ve told my kids “no”, grounded them, confiscated toys, set spending limits and curfews, told them off when they exhibited bratty behaviour. And guess what? They are responsible and caring adults and I’m proud of them.

Anita August 30, 2011 at 8:57 am

And here was me thinking I was hard done by. Grounded, had no bedroom door for the majority of my early teens (lesson learned btw), didn’t have a budget for a ball gown as we had no money so had to borrow one instead….. those poor children. I take my hat off to them, they have shown that things that are character building truly do build character. Bad, but none the less it is still character.

I feel so sorry for the poor Mum. Ungrateful, unpleasant brats.

Kathryn Dickinson August 30, 2011 at 9:10 am

I live in the Chicago area , this case has more weirdness than reported in the article. This “lawsuit” is just one of many this so called” Dad” has filed against his ex-wife, he has been haranguing her for years. It has gotten to the point that the Illinois Bar is considering sanctions against him. He is in jeopardy of losing his law licence because he cannot get over his Ex. Using his children to wreak revenge puts him into another sort of Hell category especially since he has ruined the reputations of his kids. There is an old adage well known in the legal community ” He who is his own Lawyer has a fool for a client”. This rings true for this guy. Whats more is is he has done his kids a great disservice by alienating them from their Mother. By harassing her all these years he has caused these transgressions they claim have hurt them. Ill bet no money in the birthday card was a response to having to foot so many legal bills all these years. Perhaps there should be a law barring Lawyers from representing themselves in their own matrimonial litigation. Just a thought.

Just Laura August 30, 2011 at 9:13 am

This didn’t make me angry. This made me incredibly sad.

There are so many children out there who would give anything to wear a new dress for a homecoming dance, or to have their mother care enough about them to give a card.

Anna August 30, 2011 at 9:20 am

I find it astonishing that the father and his two delightful offspring suffer no penalty (other than possibly some scorn) for bringing such a frivolous suit against the mother. In addition to having the contempt in which her children hold her broadcast to the world, this poor woman will end up paying for her defence costs. How inequitable! At the least, the losing side should be made to pay for their folly through the only sanction that might have some impact on them – through their wallets.

But the saddest thing about this is that for the mother, there is little chance of any sort of real relationship with her children.

Twik August 30, 2011 at 9:26 am

Clearly, this is a case of Daddy Dearest trying to use his children to harass his ex-wife. One needn’t wonder why that marriage failed.

I do feel sorry for the kids, in a way – not because of the treatment by their mother, but by their father. Mr. Miner should have been *severely* sanctioned for this behaviour.

Amanda August 30, 2011 at 9:30 am

I saw this on my RSS feed this morning and wondered if it would show up here or on the forum. The level of entitlement is astounding, and I agree that the father/lawyer definitely should have been sanctioned for bringing such a frivilous case before the court. He’s certainly not teaching his children the right kind of lesson here.

Joe J August 30, 2011 at 9:32 am

That is horrid. And according to the article, the father apparently tried to talk the brats out of the lawsuit – and yet he represented them anyway. Spineless AND evil is such a charming combination – no wonder the marriage lasted! Maybe I should sue my mother for never making a bowl of homemade risotto to counter all the Rice-a-Roni my siblings and I ate as a child.

I did love the brisk verbal annihilation the mother’s attorney delivered to the children and their father in the news article, but how devastating for that poor mother.

DGS August 30, 2011 at 9:34 am

What is truly sad is that Dear Ole Dad is using the kids (and destroying them) as a weapon against his beleaguered ex-wife and ruining everyone’s lives in the process. I am wondering if the children have been so manipulated that by now, having been completely brainwashed, they are utterly incapable of making any kind of independent decisions.

It also sounds like Mr. Miner is utterly deranged; having worked in the state psychiatric forensic system, one of the many observations I have collected is that it one of the surest ways to be considered utterly incapable is to represent oneself in one’s own lawsuit.

AS August 30, 2011 at 9:35 am

I was wondering how these children grew up to be so evil given that the mother seemed to be trying to discipline the children including not letting them spend over the budget like in the case of a party dress (though apparently they could have). Then I read the part that the father was their lawyer, and everything fit the picture! What a shame! Some people should not be allowed to bring up children!
The card sounds like something my mother would have sent me (okay, worded “daughter” instead of “son”); and guess what? I’d have proudly displayed it to all my friends because it showed how special I am to my mother. I don’t think I agree with everything my parents said or did to me while I was growing up. But they were my parents, and they did everything because they loved me. I’d rather spend the rest of my life in molten lava than sue them!

Like admin, I am disappointed too that the judge declined sanctions against the lawyer-father. It is a shame that such cases make it to the court where a few states away, someone seemingly awful like Casey Anthony gets away.

My evil twin hopes that the lawyer-father never gets another case, and the children don’t find many people to be their friends while on the other hand, the mother finds all the happiness in world.

Erica August 30, 2011 at 9:37 am

How… exactly HOW did the judge decline to assess sanctions against lawyer father/ex-husband? The fact that the mother had to pay the legal fees is outrageous.

Typo Tat August 30, 2011 at 9:41 am

This kind of lawsuit is wasting the public’s time and money. The judge should have punished these kids with contempt of court charges, or something.

Kitty Lizard August 30, 2011 at 9:45 am

Oh, people, please, please, please, stop. Barratry is an unlawful breach of duty on the part of a ship’s master or crew – i.e.: MUTINY. It has nothing to do with this sort of lawsuit. You’re making my eyes
bleed. So stop with the barratry already. You can’t get a lawyer disbarred for Barratry!!!!! Unless he takes over a ship and causes a mutiny!!!

Daisy August 30, 2011 at 9:50 am

My mother died when I was 11 years old. I would have given the world for a googly-eyed birthday card or a chance to shop for a homecoming dress. When those kids finally wake up and realize their father has used them as stalking horses, it will be too late to get back the years they’ve thrown away.

Wink-n-Smile August 30, 2011 at 9:59 am

If the suit had stated “Mommy and Daddy divorced, and Mommy allowed Daddy to have partial custody of us” I might think they had a case.

As it stands, I think those kids are going to be lonely for a loooooong time. No one will want to date them, or be their friends, or even hang out with them.

Maryann August 30, 2011 at 10:13 am

My mom was so blown away by this, she called me just to read me the story out of the newspaper. At first I thought either she was joking or that somehow a major punk got picked up by the media. I guess that was just wishful thinking.

I’m with Just Laura. It’s more sad than anything, for so many reasons. The saddest thing is the coming ruination of these kids’ lives. You can’t move smoothly through life with an attitude of entitlement this bad. They’re not even grateful to their own caring mother. How will they ever be happy or satisfied with anything anyone will give them? They’ll make the people around them miserable. And it looks like (although I realize I’m making an assumption here) their father encouraged this out of pure spite.

Maybe some day poetic justice will be served and they’ll sue him for being the appalling father he really has been.

Cami August 30, 2011 at 10:16 am

Years ago, the teen son of a friend of mine called 911 to report child abuse. He was hysterical and a cop came out right away. My friend and her dh were shocked and astonished at his arrival, especially when her son told the cop what the abuse was — their insistence he do his chore. His chore being to carry the trash out to the curb. That was it. The cop was furious and then did something quite wise. He sat down with the boy and told him in detail what REAL abuse was. By the time the cop left the boy was in tears and never once kicked a fuss again at his parents or claimed child abuse.

I sincerely wish these two Miner kids would have a taste of what real abused children suffer. It’s too bad the judge could not assign them to working in a group home or something like that, except that there is no reason abused children should have to suffer more by having these brats in their midst.

JennJenn68 August 30, 2011 at 10:18 am

Dear me. I’m pretty used by now to the sense of entitlement that a great many children and teens seem to possess. I often chalk it up to the fact that the brain chemistry has not settled yet. Below a certain age, children are not capable of many forms of rational thought–it’s one of the reasons why child labour laws exist, they are not allowed to vote, not allowed to drive, etcetera. I have had many discussions with children and teens in the past about how cruel their parents are being because they aren’t giving them what they want when they want it. (One of my son’s classmates in the sixth grade claimed that his mom was “selfish” because she bought herself a new dress for work but didn’t buy him the second XBox that he wanted. Need I add that this classmate brings no money into the family? By his logic, if a parent buys himself/herself something he is entitled to an expensive gift–excuse me, necessity. After all, he assured me, he really “needed” the second XBox!) What boggles my mind in this instance is that both of the children in the case are in their early twenties. Clearly, something vital in the maturation process has been skipped. And just think–they’re both old enough to vote now. Isn’t that a comforting notion to ponder in the depths of a sleepless night?

Just Laura August 30, 2011 at 10:35 am

Kitty Lizard:
Your ignorance of U.S. law (and putting others down for it) is making my eyes bleed.
Definition – “barratry” – Vexatious litigation or incitement to it

California Penal Code Section 158: “Common barratry is the practice of exciting groundless judicial proceedings, and is punishable by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six months and by fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000).”
California Penal Code Section 159: “No person can be convicted of common barratry except upon proof that he has excited suits or proceedings at law in at least three instances, and with a corrupt or malicious intent to vex and annoy.”
Revised Code of Washington 9.12.010: “Every person who brings on his or her own behalf, or instigates, incites, or encourages another to bring, any false suit at law or in equity in any court of this state, with intent thereby to distress or harass a defendant in the suit, or who serves or sends any paper or document purporting to be or resembling a judicial process, that is not in fact a judicial process, is guilty of a misdemeanor; and in case the person offending is an attorney, he or she may, in addition thereto be disbarred from practicing law within this state.”

Barratry (in the sense of soliciting legal business) is also prohibited in the US. Such conduct violates Rule 7.3[7] of the American Bar Association Model Rules of Professional Conduct. Some bar associations strongly enforce rules against barratry. For example, the State Bar of California dispatches investigators to large-scale disaster scenes to discourage ambulance chasers, and to catch any who attempt to solicit business from disaster victims at the scene.[8]

Barratry in this sense is pejoratively known as ambulance chasing from the stereotype of an attorney who stops at the scene of a car accident or follows an ambulance to an emergency room in hopes of finding and soliciting business from an injured person.

Sources: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=barratry&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=jPRcTr_UK4PJgQeUy_GBAg&ved=0CBYQkQ4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=257b5c650d19c402&biw=1680&bih=896

LaurenP August 30, 2011 at 10:40 am

Seriously? They must have known this wasn’t going to fly in a country where lawyer’s fees do not include “considerable bribes to judges and other officials”.

Everyone gets gifts they don’t like, or are totally unsuitable. Everyone gets told to put their seatbelt on. Everyone has to miss out on a fun activity for some reason or other. Every child has had a toy confiscated.

I also wonder – seeing as the children would be raised by both parents and family outings and gifts would be chosen by both parents – why aren’t they also suing the father in this case? I agree with those who say its the father trying to harass the mother; in which case I feel a little sorry for the adult children as they were probably used as pawns.

Maitri August 30, 2011 at 10:42 am

“I adore googly eyes and sometimes glue them to a mango to surprise my boyfriend when he opens the fridge.”

This is full of win and I am so going to do this someday soon.

Ahem .. anyway .. I’d donate to the mom’s defense fund also. What horrible kids! They were married for 10 years I guess; I wonder if she’d hung in there for longer, would it have made a difference? She obviously has her parenting head on straight.

Magicdomino August 30, 2011 at 10:52 am

Can I sue my mother for giving me sappy sentimental birthday cards? They never had any money in them either. Oh wait, she’s deceased since 1996. I’ll never get another birthday card from her, sappy or googly-eyed.

I wonder if those kids will ever sue their father for messing up their reputation with his lawsuits.

Harley Granny August 30, 2011 at 10:52 am

Oh…My…Goodness……I wonder if I can hire this guy to sue my Mom…

That wretched woman actually made me learn how to do laundry, wash the dishes, be a productive member of society and..and…and….even eat vegetables!!!
She made me go to school in clothing she made herself!!!!
My prom dress was hand made by her too!!!!!

The horrors I experienced!!!

I do feel for the children….they have been brainwashed by this idiot into thinking they really do have a case.

Mary-Sue August 30, 2011 at 10:58 am

Is it wrong of me to wish that the mother would sue those two demon spawn and their rotten dad for being ungrateful, spoiled brats and a bad father?

Virg August 30, 2011 at 11:00 am

Kitty Lizard:

There are three definitions of barratry, the first being the one you cited. The second is (according to dictionary.com): “the offense of frequently exciting and stirring up lawsuits and quarrels” which is the definition that fits here.

Virg

J's Mama August 30, 2011 at 11:16 am

Maybe I’m crazy, but this article looks like a parody you might read on The Onion. I never thought I would actually read it in real news.

--E August 30, 2011 at 11:30 am

I think I’m going to file a lawsuit against this family (except the mother, of course), because I have been EMOTIONALLY TRAUMATIZED at learning there are people this stupid walking around on the planet. How can I possibly go on? My life has been completely upended. I knew there were borons out there, but to learn of this… I’m afraid to leave my home. I have become a recluse. I am unable to perform my job or normal daily functions.

Obviously, these people owe it to me to support me for the rest of my life.

SV August 30, 2011 at 11:49 am

How absolutely ridiculous and yet another symptom of someone feeling a little too much entitlement. You only have to look at the starvation, poverty and suffering that is going on around the world this very minute to feel outraged by the sheer selfish intent behind this lawsuit. Hopefully as they get older they will have the maturity to feel ashamed of themselves.

CreativeCat August 30, 2011 at 11:54 am

Yeah, I am going to call my mom after work and tell her how much I love and appreciate all the disciplining I received as a kid. Wow… just… wow.

The Other Amber August 30, 2011 at 12:00 pm

@Kitty Lizard:
Barratry (play /?b??r?tri/ bair-?-tree) is the name of four legal concepts, three in criminal and civil law, and one in admiralty law.

Barratry, in criminal and civil law, is the act or practice of bringing repeated legal actions solely to harass. This action is a crime in some jurisdictions.
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barratry