Flushing Away Those Little Etiquette Dilemmas

by admin on August 31, 2011

Today was just horribly weird. It involves me, my co-worker “S” and another girl “M”. lately my co-worker “S” and I have been noticing that there seems to be an appalling lack of bathroom etiquette lately; specifically, our co-worker “M” has recently started having ten minute conversations on her cell phone IN THE STALL.

We normally ignore her and quietly go about our business, but today was a BAD DAY for me. I rushed in the bathroom during a break in a long meeting and threw myself into a stall, and froze like a deer in the headlights when I suddenly heard her phone ring. She answered it. She started jabbering away, while I desperately tried to be…erm… ladylike. I was dying. I didn’t want to “disturb her conversation” but for all that is holy why on earth are people talking on their cell phones in the bathroom? Do you know where you are?! How are you not embarrassed about sitting on a toilet talking in the bathroom to your friend/husband/vendor? Really? Does he think that strange echo is feedback? Is the flushing sounds your new ringtone? WHAT IS YOUR DAMAGE!

*deep breath.

As I am sitting there, trying to convince my colon that it wasn’t being punked by Asthon Kutcher and that the bad lady wouldn’t notice a thing (because she is talking too loud and is too self absorbed) my friend “S” comes in the restroom. She suddenly exclaims, “OP, are you still in here? The break is over and they are waiting for you.”  I felt the blood drain from my face, and stammered something incoherent. At this point, “M” starts talking again to the person on the phone louder because apparently “S” is making too much noise. “S” laughed when she realized why I was frozen to the seat and then walked into the stall next to me and starts flushing the toilet over and over again. This finally had an effect on “M”, who suddenly goes, “Sorry it got loud in here, let me call you back”.  She then proceeds to burst out of the bathroom stall and fled the bathroom. “S” cracks up and then tells me, “I will tell them you will be a few more minutes,” and leaves the bathroom. I sat there stunned for a minute, and then was finally able to get back to the meeting.

All through the meeting I couldn’t look at “S” in the face. We were somewhat hysterical all day, and avoided each other until our shift was over. As I was walking out to my car “M” approaches me in the parking lot and goes, “I just think you should know, your friend “S” is the rudest woman I have ever met,” and she flounced off to her car.

Maybe. Or maybe she is a Genius.    0826-11

travestine August 31, 2011 at 12:37 pm

First off, M was goofing off on company time, talking on the phone in the bathroom, on what was obviously a non-emergency personal call. She should have been reported to her supervisor. It’s probably something she does regularly. Phone buzzes, oops, she has to “go to the bathroom”. Second, I have a medically diagnosed problem called “nervous bladder” that means no matter how full my bladder, I cannot pee when there is someone else in the room. Makes my life HELL in office situations. I have to wait until everyone leaves the room. If I had to go bad enough, I would have had to wait out M and her phone call and I would have DIED if S came in looking for me. People should go in, do their business and get it, for the sake of EVERYONE using the room.

Louise August 31, 2011 at 12:40 pm

A friend once called me and said, “Guess where I am!” And I immediately said, “The bathroom.” To me it’s really obvious when someone calls from there, it just sounds different.

Oh, and it’s gross. I know we all have to use bathrooms, but I don’t want to think about someone using the bathroom. We can catch up later, promise.

Elle August 31, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Flushing the toilet repeatedly is not nessecarily a passive aggressive move. It’s also a time-honored technique to cover embarassing sounds. So the motivation may have been less passive-aggressive “look who’s in the bathroom!” and more providing a smoke screen, so to speak.

Leslie Holman-Anderson August 31, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I do wish people would stop labeling every indirect tactic ‘passive-aggressive.’ ‘S’ wasn’t being passive-aggressive, she was wielding a very effective clue-by-four.

Serenity August 31, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Ugh, we have a “lady” at work that is notorious for talking ion her phone in the bathroom. However, I have learned that I prefer that to when she’s in there and NOT on the phone, as she will then try and start a conversation with ME. I have no interest in engaging in conversation when I’m in a stall doing my private business, thank you. I just find it to be utterly classless.

Katy August 31, 2011 at 12:50 pm

M is lucky my DH wasn’t in the next stall. He got sick of a similar co-worker once (went in at the same time each night and talked for 15-20 minutes in one of the two stalls, making it uncomfortable for anyone else to use the restroom during that time) and recited, quite loudly, the bit from ‘Austin Powers’ where he’s drowning the Irish assassin. Then banged on the stall wall and loudly asked for toilet paper because “this one is going to take more than what’s in here”. From what I heard his co-worker got the hint and started taking his phone conversations outside, and DH was somewhat of a hero for freeing up the bathroom during that time. And was called ‘the International Man of Mystery’ for the rest of his time working at that site.
Now I’m not saying that DH’s response wasn’t rude, it was, but I have to say it was effective.

Kat August 31, 2011 at 12:53 pm

What did M think that she was going to hear in a bathroom? Even if the bathroom was only receiving normal usage, there would have been flushing.

I understand the OP’s performance anxiety with others in the bathroom..I have a little of that myself, and there is a lady at my office who absolutely cannot go #2 in a public bathroom. S is a genius and a great friend for getting you our of an awkward situation with a clueless co-worker. The only offender here is the stall talker, and she compounded her crime by telling you that your friend was rude.

Margaret August 31, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I was in a public washroom, and in the stall next door, the person answered their cellphone with, “Hi, this is [name], how can I help you?” Seriously, you are taking BUSINESS calls in the washroom? I was hoping to finish my business in time to flush while she was on the call, but she got out before I did.

Allie August 31, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I may be missing something, but I can’t understand why M’s bathroom stall phone calls have you so upset. I feel somewhat embarrassed when certain sounds emanate from my stall, whether my neighbours are on the phone or not, but there’s nothing to be done about it. Such things can’t be helped and should be politely ignored by all who hear them. Meanwhile, I don’t see why you didn’t just go about your business, phone call or not. It’s up to her when and where she talks on her cell phone, and while doing so in the toilet may be weird, it’s better than doing it while driving or attempting to complete a transaction with a cashier or teller, for example.

ciotog August 31, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I understand why S. did what she did…but what a waste of water. Especially if the toilet wasn’t a low-flow toilet.

ferretrick August 31, 2011 at 1:50 pm

“would have taken the Browns to the Superbowl”

Cough, splutter, choke, there went the monitor…

“With very few exceptions, there will come a time when you have a, shall we say, noisy episode in the bathroom. There’s not a damn thing you can do about it; it’s a side effect of being human. And you will hear other people–people you can identify–having similar incidences.”

Oh, word, word, word. My office shares a very thin wall with the bathroom-I am far more intimate with many coworkers then I want to be, but I do my best to tune it out and go on about my day.

whiskeytangofoxtrot August 31, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Eww, eww, EWWWWW!!!!! Waste elimination is not a spectator sport.

And TOA, are we the same person? I had exactly the same experience and conversation with my DH when we were dating, too! To his credit, he never repeated the infraction.

essie August 31, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Cell phone’s bad enough, but I was in the bathroom at work a few years ago and the female in the next stall was obviously catching up on her work because she put WORK-RELATED PAPERS ON THE FLOOR IN FRONT OF HER!!!!!!!

People look at me weird when I tell them “Send it to me in an email” but hey, I’m not taking any chances on those papers landing on my desk!

Carolw August 31, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I’ve been wondering what to do about my co-worker who regularly has cellphone conversations in the ladies’ room. I’ve considered blowing a big raspberry followed by an “aahh!” Now I know to just flush all the other toilets. Brilliant!

Toya August 31, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I would have done my business and left. Why ruin the risk of ruining a nice pair of pants because Ms. Available Anytime can’t get off the phone even in the bathroom? And maybe if the person on the other end hear a lot of grunting and a flush, she might embarass the OP’s coworker enough to reason that bathroom phone calls are prohibited.

sj August 31, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Knowing someone is on the phone, I wouldn’t want to take care of my bathroom business either. It’s awkward enough if it might make noise when there’s someone else there. But, I would be embarrassed and wondering who was on the other end of the call hearing me.

Rude of M. Maybe S was passive aggressive, but at least it was effective.

At some point when everyone is not in the bathroom, someone should chat with M about her strangely long potty visits.

Jess August 31, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Yeah, been there, done that…

Happily none of the places in which I regularly Contemplate The Universe have people who decide to multi-task in this rude manner, but once when I was using the bathroom at a large bookstore, I got to overhear a woman making arrangements to meet her husband, and where he should park etc. etc.

I just did my business as quietly as possible (which I probably would in a public bathroom anyway), and shared a look of incredulity with the couple of women there who were waiting for a stall to become free.

Seriously…how does anyone think this is okay?

JediKaiti August 31, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I’m with lkb – if you’re talking in the toity, I am not responsible for the background noises in your conversation, even if I am emitting them.

Or, if you watch old M*A*S*H reruns, as Radar’s mom would say, “Better to hold the phone than get a kidney stone!”

livvy August 31, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I have to confess about being shy in the restroom as well. Although I know people know what I’m doing in there, and that it’s the appropriate place, I can’t stand for people to hear me do anything other than pee. My own solution is to flush simultaneously – providing noise to cover my activity, as well as a preemptive “courtesy flush.” Otherwise, I’d be just as locked up. I love bathrooms that have loud, piped in music for the same reason. In lieu of that, S is indeed a benevolant Genius.

I also couldn’t abide the idea of some stranger hearing my business over the phone! shudders.

I’d be interested to know whether it was a work or personal call. If it was a work call, I’d go to M and tell her that it was wildly inappropriate to conduct business calls in the bathroom. (or, if someone is a little more passive aggressive, go to HR – and they could put the brakes on that kind of unprofessional conduct.) If it were personal, again, I’d go to M and tell her how uncomfortable it made me to have someone listening in on my business, and perhaps she could go to the lobby, cafeteria, or an empty conference room to have take her break.

livvy August 31, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Oh, one interesting note….Japan’s automatic toilets are the best…some of them play music the second you sit down! (in addition to having heated seats, available washing and even drying functions!!)

--E August 31, 2011 at 5:43 pm

To everyone who has bathroom shyness: I hereby officially give you permission to let fly as noisily and stinkily as needed. Do it just once, and you will go a long way toward making peace with your bowels.

I confess that I talk on the phone in the bathroom sometimes. However, I only do this (a) at home, (b) with people I am very close to (such that we might converse over the stalls in a public bathroom), and (c) very quickly for an insistent bladder. I try to be courteous and cover the receiver if I make noise (added strategy: ask a question that forces them to reply at length), and no one has ever fled off the phone in terror.

Basically, if I’m in the middle of a good conversation, I’m not going to interrupt it for something quick and trivial. If I feel a longer visit to the loo will be necessary, then I excuse myself and call the person back.

Wink-n-Smile August 31, 2011 at 6:07 pm

My embarassing bathroom cellphone story:

I’m a friendly person, and if someone starts chatting with me, I’ll respond, even if I’m in the bathroom. Not on the phone, as I won’t answer, but if they’re in the next stall, and start chatting, I’ll respond.

Well, someone in the next stall dialed and made a phone call. When she said, “Hello,” I said, “Hello,” back.

“This is Martha.”

“Hi, Martha! I’m Wink-n-Smile! How are you doing?”

“Um, yeah, did you go to the movie last night?”

“I did! I couldn’t wait for the Harry Potter movie. You know I had to see THAT on opening night. Did you see it, too, Martha?”

“Sorry, what was that? I couldn’t hear you. There’s. . .”

“I SAID I COULDN’T WAIT TO SEE THE NEW HARRY POTTER MOVIE! DID YOU SEE IT TOO?”

“Um, I have to go now.” Click.

She got out of there in a hurry. I never did see who it was. I did, however, wish her a very hearty farewell, and a good day.

Margaret August 31, 2011 at 6:19 pm

In the late 70″s, I had the pleasure of staying at what was a luxurious hotel for this small capital city of a state that will not be mentioned.

I needed to check out the bathroom and was amazed to find a full size wall phone right next to the toilet! I immediately called home.

So, there is precedence for thinking this is “elite” behavior. In private. And, judging from the behavior of movie goers who think they are in their family room, people don’t get what private means anymore.

Tara August 31, 2011 at 6:32 pm

OP, you should’ve just gone. I’m assuming you had a noisy… umm… bowel disturbance. Why should you have to hold it just so the person on the other end of the line doesn’t have to hear that? It’s M’s own fault for talking in the bathroom. Just let ‘er rip!

mstigerlily August 31, 2011 at 7:20 pm

imo there are VERY few instances (if any?) when it is so important to be on the phone that you (general you) can’t either: A. hold it and go the the bathroom after the conversation is over, or B. do your business and then call me back. I may know you but I don’t really need to know that about you!

Merrilee August 31, 2011 at 7:58 pm

And… it’s Wink-n-Smile for the win!!! I’m still laughing out loud.

babs August 31, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I actually had to answer the phone in the bathroom today. It was my boss who gets a bit freaky if he can’t get ahold of me. I was washing up at that time. I said “You know, I can tell you this because I’ve worked for you for 15 years, but I’m in the bathroom right now.” He lol’d and then continued right along with, “Hey, could you do me a favor?”

Aside from the rude woman on the phone who is sharing everyone’s bathroom noises with the person she’s talking with, as funny as the scene played out, I thought it was a bit odd that her friend burst in and told her “break’s over, and they’re waiting for you.” Hey, she’s in the bathroom! She’s either finished or not finished! Is that going to make her pop off the pot any quicker? Maybe she was just looking for her, but she could have told her coworkers “I think she’s in the ladies room. She’ll join us soon.” This poor OP! All she was trying to do was to get a little relief and nobody was letting her do that!

Wink-n-Smile – I LOVE that!

Stephenie August 31, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I was on a work conference call and someone on the line forgot to mute their phone when they decided to carry it into the bathroom. All of us commented loudly that we could hear during all the personal noise, but the person must have set the phone down and couldn’t hear us asking him to mute his phone.

The Elf August 31, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Ferretrick, I figure it’s the only way they’ll get there.

— A Ravens Fan

MidoriBird August 31, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Oooh, ohh, one of my biggest, BIGGEST complaints of late.

Three times in one day recently, in a single shift, I heard others in other stalls talking on their cellphones. (Since I didn’t want to think they were sitting in there talking to themselves.)

While I try to tune these out, I can’t help but think stuff like A. Some poor sap’s going to ask to borrow their phone one of these days and B. They can wash their hands but they can’t wash that cellphone all that easily so they’ve just rendered it all pointless, and C. Do they think the person on the other end can’t hear their bodily noises or the commode flushing? Eeew!

missfortune1313 August 31, 2011 at 11:26 pm

If the she wants to talk on the phone in the bathroom, start commenting on her conversation like you are included. I promise she will leave :) I would also just go about my buisness and later request kindly she take her personal conversations to the breakroom.

Amanda Kate September 1, 2011 at 12:40 am

Genius. It’s not rude to flush a toilet in a public bathroom, that’s what they’re there for!

Stepmomster September 1, 2011 at 12:56 am

Elizabeth II, “If I had the guts, I would re-enact a rather bizarre comic drawn by a man whose previous series was titled “Johnny the Homicidal Maniac”.”

I actually know that comic. That scares me a little. The bunny stays with you…

OP September 1, 2011 at 1:02 am

I have colitis. Combine pain with noise, and you don’t really have normal reactions. It’s hard to think in that situation, and M tends to say things without thinking… like, “oh, I lost my train of thought, because OP came in wearing the ugliest shirt… what was a i saying?” I was terrified she would say to the person on the other end of the phone (who sounded a lot like my boss) something like “sorry I missed that, OP is being really loud in the stall next to me”

She isn’t the swiftest greyhound in the pack.

Gabriele September 1, 2011 at 4:16 am

A company where I worked had an employee (same department) that was a member of a cult (really, in newspapers, etc) and when she’d get stressed out (it was a stressful job for everyone at times) she would go in the handcap stall and do a little cult version of the Hindu vespers (arati) where one offers fire, wind, etc while chanting. I first heard about it because she used a bic lighter for the fire and people were asking: Why is M using a lighter in the woman’s room, she doesn’t smoke (not that she could, the city was non smoking in business offices).
People got so they didn’t like to go in there when she was in there (most people knew about her background so they sort of understood and just thought her strange and felt sorry for her–nothing bad or critical) which meant in an office with three stalls and 70 women, well, it did create problems.
Fortunately we had a good manager who knew the woman’s freedom of religion mean she could do religious practices in the restroom stall—BUT the company ALSO had to observe the city codes and fire laws, so no lighters, no fires. Mgr suggested that M get a picture of an appropriate fire and take it into the stall with her, use a piece of tape to put it on the wall. The manager meant Each Time. Soon everyone was asking why there was the picture there. Seems M had thought people would pay attention to her if she were carrying the picture with her each time…angry to find out people knew it was hers, etc.
I don’t know if she was trying for grounds for a lawsuit or what…she would only talk to her teacher/guru…and if you lived at Morningland, you had to have a job.
The company lost some business so they have to lay off people…I’d already found another job so I didn’t hear what happened to the ‘firelady in the bathroom’.

I do have a suggestion, if you can alter your voice a little….(takes guts, but why not)
” Honey, if you ain’t flushing you shure should be flushing…could be sum’on else is needing yore outhouse seat” the person on the phone will either laugh or choke or try to pretend she didn’t hear it…either way, you can laugh when you leave and share the joke with others later.
Myself, I prefer a somewhat ‘southern appalachia’ twang

I used to feel I couldn’t make noise in a stall until some woman yelled at me for wasting time…I yelled back that some thing take time…
from that time on, I remember…only those with colostomy bags don’t have to sit — s—.

wolfgirl September 1, 2011 at 6:59 am

Seems to be a lot of people saying the OP should basically get over her shyness and go for it, and that it is Ms problem to deal with the noise. I agree that no one wanting to do their business in the appointed location should feel in the LEAST bit hesitant, M is in the wrong place, so let er rip! But, the OP also has a right not to be made to feel embarassed or inconvenienced. If she is not confortable with the thought of others in an outside location (on other end of phone) listening to her body functions, she certianly should not have to put up with it, as this is not the usual circumstances when one uses a workplace restroom. I’d certainly be embarrassed. Whether she “should” be ashamed of her body functions or not is really not the point, M’s actions are causing an issue for her. I think S did a great job, especially as they were late for a meeting and the key thing was to allow OP to get back to it as soon as possible by whatever means, if that means using the flushing as a “screen” so she fell more comfortable, then absolutely fine surely?

I might get a bunch of people, wait til M is nattering away then all march in with whoopie cusions, trumpets etc and have a little bathroom-themed band practise, get those toilets flushign in time! :D

Miss Marie September 1, 2011 at 8:28 am

I was actually once at a department store and a woman was on her cell in the dressing room. There was a line of about 4. I was second in line and I am generally quite patient unless I’m out with my small children. The woman in front of me, however, was quite ticked off. She muttered a bit, under her breath to the rest of us, then finally remarked really loudly ” You know, there are other people waiting out here!”. When Queen Cell emerged she said, “You know there are such things as manners?” and stalked off. I think people who think it’s okay to use their phones wherever and whenever generally don’t consider the comfort and feelings of others. It might be some kind of communicable disease? ;) Certainly is going around a lot, anyhow!

Blondie September 1, 2011 at 10:14 am

I would have let er go in there. Let the whoever is on the other end of the phone think it was “M” making all that noise….they would have been disgusted by her not you!

Ruth September 1, 2011 at 11:31 am

Since the bathroom’s primary purpose is, well, what the OP was trying to do, I don’t let it phase me if people are talking on the phone. Sometimes it takes a minute for me to un-shy my bladder, but I figure 1) the person on the other end doesn’t know who I am, 2) both parties to the conversation have the option of ending it and both probably know where it’s taking place. If you don’t want to hear bodily functions, don’t talk/listen to a bathroom cell phone call.

Calli Arcale September 1, 2011 at 12:57 pm

The worst story like this that I ever heard was on a doctor’s blog. He recounted a time when he came in to use the stall and, while taking care of business, another doctor came in and used the stall next to him. And proceeded to have a phone call. But it wasn’t just any phone call — he was talking with a patient! And discussing very private details within earshot of an unknown person! HIPAA doesn’t address this situation directly, but maybe it should…..

Missy September 1, 2011 at 4:35 pm

It blows my mind that some people talk on the phone while using the jon. Not only is it unsanitary, but I’m sure the person on the phone doesn’t want to hear bathroom sounds. Why do people create awkward situations like this?

Carol875 September 1, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I figure that when I’m in a bathroom, my body is gonna make the noises it needs to make, and if that’s a problem for anyone else there, well, it’s their problem, not mine. I mean, there are TOILETS in that room – are we supposed to pretend we’re not using them for their designated purpose? Other people in the bathroom can flush, run water, leave, endure it, or make their own bathroom noises (preferably in 3-part harmony). If my noises interrupt someone else’ s cell phone conversation, that just adds to the day’s amusement.

Jamesy September 1, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Although I don’t have Colitis or a comparable medical condition, I completely sympathize OP. M is completely breaking the unspoken rules of the ladies room: Get in, Get out, Avoid Eye Contact, Pretend you haven’t heard anyone dropping a deuce while you were in there. Of course, those are the office, school, etc. rules. There is a much more lax code for bars, lounges, and nightclubs where you can make instant friends.

Michelle P September 2, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Sorry to the OP, but I was laughing my head off. My sympathy for dealing with this colleague; most people who would do this are usually inconsiderate in other ways. Good luck.

My sister will run a bath, use the toilet, type on a computer, etc. while on the phone with me. The bath water is deafening. I’ve finally just started saying she can call me back when she’s done.

June September 2, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I was at a county fair this summer and a woman was on her cell phone in the bathroom stall next to me. Her toddler daughter was apparently in a different stall, so while Mom was on the phone complaining about the lack of parking, her daughter was whining that she needed help. I don’t blame the kiddo at all.
But the mom apparently did. When she was done, she went to her daughter and said, “McKenzie! I can’t help you when I’m in the bathroom and on the phone!”
**foreheadsmack**

Maryann September 3, 2011 at 4:16 am

What I don’t understand is why anybody *cares* if someone else uses a phone while in the restroom.

Not something I would do, it’s definitely gross to the person they’re talking to, and potentially quite unsanitary (depending on what you touch before you touch your phone), but whose business is it but the people holding the conversation? People hold conversations in the restroom all the time, why does a phone automatically make it rude?

I’m not a great fan of cell phones. I’m in my 20s and refused to get my first phone until about a year ago, and I still use it sparingly. I didn’t want an electronic leash. But the technophobia around the device bothers me sometimes.

Here’s my thought on the matter: If it’s not rude without the phone, the presence of the phone doesn’t make it rude.

If other people talking in the restroom (unless they’re being very loud) while you’re in there isn’t rude, it’s not rude *to you* because they’re doing it with a phone. If the person being called is bothered, it’s their problem to deal with. It’s not your problem; ignore it and conduct your business.

Annie September 3, 2011 at 6:06 am

Wink-n-smile

I can’t stop laughing. Great story.

Marina September 3, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I talk on my phone in the ladies room all the time. I don’t particularly care if its loud or if the toilets are flushing, I’m in a ladies room and expect other people to take care of themselves accordingly.
Sorry, but when you’re in a public restroom (and work restrooms are public) you’ve got to deal with everyone’s nonsense, from “Can someone please pass me some toilette paper?” to screaming children doing their dirty business and touching EVERYTHING before they wash their hands. If I need to step off the floor to take a call in the one place where my Supervisor and CCTV wont be scrutinizing my every move, I don’t feel it’s particularly necessary for other people to treat me as though I’m doing something rude. Is it rude to carry on a conversation with a friend in the next stall? Some people might be put off by it, but as long as neither of you are being obnoxious, its generally not viewed as a breech of etiquette. (And, in these situations, you’re able to eavesdrop on both sides of the conversation.) As long as M wasn’t being loud and obnoxious, I fail to see why she deserves to be launched into Ehell, or why the OP was having such a difficult time minding (and taking care of) her own business.

Cat September 4, 2011 at 10:58 am

I think I’d have a loud and imaginary phone call of my own. “Yes, Harriet,” I finally did it, ” I buried him under the back stairs and told everyone he’s gone on a business trip! They never found the other two so I don’t think they’ll find him either!” Or, perhaps, “Yes, the date went great! No, we decided against the frozen bananas…”

The Other Amber September 4, 2011 at 3:34 pm

@Maryann – here’s the difference. When you’re carrying on a conversation in a bathroom in person, the other party has the option to participate or not. They can say Hey let’s continue this after, they can talk across stalls, they can leave the room etc. When you’re on the phone the person on the other end doesn’t get a choice in the matter – they go (no pun intended) wherever you go. And yes people on the other end CAN hear what’s going on in the bathroom. Do you know how disconcerting it is to be talking to someone on the phone and suddenly be aware that they’re peeing? That’s just…. gross. And inappropriate. I’m sorry but I don’t want to be a party to someone else’s bodily functions.