Veruca Salt Sighted On A Bus In Canada

by admin on September 26, 2011

Have I got a whopper for you! Yesterday afternoon after a long day at work I managed to get a seat on a very crowded city bus. I have an app on my cell phone for the game Bejeweled that I like to play sometimes so I can zone out for a bit on my commute home. I settled in and pulled out my phone and began to play a game with the sound option turned off so I didn’t disturb anyone around me.

A short while later a man and his little girl, she looked to be about five years old, managed to get into the two seats behind mine (remember, this bus was extremely crowded and available seats were few and far between). The girl was in a sour mood to start off with but I couldn’t really blame her, it was so cramped in there!

After another minute or so she started to whine, “Dad! I want that. I WANT that!” At first I didn’t pay any attention and just focused on my game. Then she got even louder. That’s when I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was her dad and he said, “My daughter wants to play with your phone.”

Just like that: a flat out statement. He didn’t even bother to phrase it like a question. I stared at him for a few seconds and said, “Excuse me?” To which he replied, “My daughter wants to play that game on your phone.”  He made a jabbing gesture toward my cell with his index finger and looked at me expectantly, like it was obvious I should just hand it over to her.

“No, I don’t think so”,  I replied, and turned back to my forward-facing position. She started complaining again about how unfair I was being and he tapped my shoulder again, a bit harder the second time. “It’ll only be for a few minutes. It’s a kid’s game anyway!”,  he grumbled.

I turned back to him and said straight out, “Kid’s game or not I’m not giving her my phone.” To this she started wailing at the top of her lungs and her dad stared at me like he wanted to punch me.

Again I turn back to facing forward in my seat and tried to ignore them. “Why is she being mean?!”, the girl cried. Her dad responded with, “I don’t know, Honey, some people are just really rude.”

Thank goodness my stop was only a few streets away at that point. I couldn’t wait to get off that bus!   0920-11

I just love (not) how crass, rude people redefine rudeness to be any behavior or action that deprives them of what they want by entitlement.

Veruca Salt, for those unfamiliar with the name, is a child character in the book and movie “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” who demands that her father give her whatever she wants, regardless of who owns it.

Emmerton September 26, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Where do these people come from, deciding that they are completely deserving and we must cater to the whims of the self-important?

Is it that in my early adulthood I am becoming more aware of social behaviors? Are there simply more rude people now then I remember as a teenager?(I am only 22!) Has it become more acceptable to be so ridiculous?

If I tried that as a child my parents wouldn’t have stood for it, not by a long shot!

Katy September 26, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Maybe it’s like those e-mail scams. Yeah, not many people fall for the ‘if you do this, you’ll make a million dollars!’ but some people do. Most people aren’t going to hand over their smartphones, but someone might, and then the dad now has a brand-new toy to pawn/sell on the street/keep.
Or that dad has no idea how to parent a child. I’d love to hear what he says when she’s sixteen, points at someone’s shiny new Ferrari and says ‘Daddy! I WANT it! I WANT it NOW!’

Louise September 26, 2011 at 1:10 pm

The father forgot to finish his sentence:

“I don’t know, Honey, some people are just really rude. Take me for example….”

hereeves September 26, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Wow. Daddy, please place your tongue at the roof of your mouth and repeat after me: NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO

Sarah September 26, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Just stunning.

PNJ September 26, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I am completely amazed that the father even asked the OP to give his daughter the phone. However, it definitely explains why the child would even make the request in the first place.

Erica September 26, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Wow. I mean, I could understand if it was Angry Birds or Plants vs. Zombies… but Bejeweled?

just kidding ;-)

Flare September 26, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I wish I could highlight the admin’s first sentence and send it to a friend of mine. Her car broke down, and we helped her get it to the shop and paid for the repairs (over $800), and she promised to pay us back, but the car broke again a week or so later with different problems. We told her we couldn’t afford to give her any more money, and she replied that she shouldn’t have to pay us back for the first repairs, since she was still without a working car, and we had “agreed to fix her car”. After I told her in no uncertain terms that she would have to pay us back, and we were not actually obliged to keep fixing it because we’d helped her once, she told me I was being very rude and “stingy”.

Kendra September 26, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Funny! Mom and I just watched that movie this weekend. Reading this post I could just hear that whine “Daddy, I want it NNOOOOWW” and Willie Wonka saying “Well, she can’t have it.” this father is setting his princess up for a fall down the garbage shute if he is teaching her that she can have whatever she wants just for demanding it. You handled it a lot better than I might have, OP. The first time he tapped on my shoulder, my response might have been more along the lines of “That’s nice. You can download it from just about anywhere.” The second time he tapped I would have said “Touch me again, and I’ll have you up on charges.” We can’t blame the kid, she’s only behaving the way she’s been taught. We can blame the parents for raising another child to be an entitled gimmie pig. Poor child, never had a chance, and when she’s an adult everyone will blame her for her parents poor parenting. I agree with Admin, it is interesting how many citizens of Planet Booron define rudeness as you not giving in to their unreasonable demands.

Shannon September 26, 2011 at 2:25 pm

It’s amazing how many parents believe their child hung the Moon and should get anything they want. A few months back, I was sitting on a bench on the Metro, doing a Sudoku. A girl (around 8 or 9) asked me what I was doing. I politely responded that I was working on a puzzle and returned to my newspaper.

Well, the girl climbed into my lap and tried to snatch the newspaper out of my hands, saying, “Let me try! I wanna try!” I disengaged myself, said “excuse me” to the girl and asked her mother (who had been blithely ignoring the whole thing) to please keep an eye on her child because the subway was full of strangers. She shot me a dirty look and said, “It’s just a puzzle! Why not let her play with it?” No, lady, it’s your kid randomly accosting and climbing all over strangers, which is not only rude, but fairly dangerous. Also, you can spend the 50 cents to buy a newspaper if you want a Sudoku that badly. I moved to the other end of the platform.

Calypso September 26, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I want a ball
I want a party
Pink macaroons and a million balloons
And performing baboons and …
Give it to me
Rrhh rhhh
Now!

I want the world
I want the whole world
I want to lock it all up in my pocket
It’s my bar of chocolate
Give it to me
Now!

I want today
I want tomorrow
I want to wear ‘em like braids in my hair
And I don’t want to share ‘em

I want a party with room fulls of laughter
Ten thousand tons of ice cream
And if I don’t get the things I am after
I’m going to scream!

I want the works
I want the whole works
Presents and prizes and sweets and surprises
Of all shapes and sizes
And now
Don’t care how
I want it now
Don’t care how
I want it now

Kendra September 26, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Sorry for the second post, but I just had to add…the part where the little girl asks why the OP is so “mean” reminded me of my best friend when my son was young. When one of our kids would accuse us of being mean she would say, “yep, all good mommies are mean mommies.” Too bad for little girl, and the rest of our society, that father doesn’t know this “rule”.

Another Laura September 26, 2011 at 2:41 pm

and then I think of how dangerous it is in this day and age to let a child believe it is okay to accept, much less DEMAND, something from a complete stranger.

Although if anyone did kidnap little Veruca here, I’m guessing it would be another “Ransom of Redchief” situation-I’ll pay for you to take her back.

Sarah Jane September 26, 2011 at 3:20 pm

May she be blessed with a dozen children (and he, grandchildren) just like her.

--Lia September 26, 2011 at 3:25 pm

One aspect that no one else had mentioned is the don’t-take-gifts-from strangers one. That’s something the father ought to be teaching the little girl right up there with the one about how you can’t have something that’s not yours. If I had the presence of mind, I might have said “Don’t you know never to take presents from strangers? You could get hurt.” If that’s said with the proper clenched teeth expression, the kid might put it together who would be doing the hurting.

Maybe it’s the conspiricist in me, but I do wonder if it was a scam. The girl might have started by really wanting to play the game, but the father might have jumped on to the possibility of stealing it or stealing information. That would explain his calling the OP rude. Whether it’s bravado or they really feel it, thieves often act like it was their right to steal and affect annoyance when they’re thwarted in their plan. If the father acted like it was his right to “borrow” the phone, what was he going to say if/when his daughter started whining that she wanted to keep it?

Many years ago in my home town, a supermarket chain started putting pre-school sized miniature shopping carts next to the regular ones. I thought they were a great idea, something for the little ones to push around the store just like Mommy’s. A few weeks later, I read in the newspaper that they’d been stolen at an amazing rate. People offered to buy them and were told that they weren’t for sale but that the kids could play with them the next time they came to the store. Parents were stuffing them into their cars. The article went on to suggest that the parents had no criminal records. They were people who’d never stolen anything before. Let’s guess that they didn’t normally think of stealing, but when faced with the choice between stealing and having to listen to their child cry upon being told NO, the parents came up with the wrong decision.

ferretrick September 26, 2011 at 4:29 pm

“He should have been reminded that in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Veruca Salt ended up being punished for eating the experimental candy when she was told-explicitly-not to. Unfortunately, we can’t turn the little girl on the bus into a giant blueberry and have two Oomph Loomphas push her out, angry parents in tow. Pity.”

Actually, it’s Violet that chews the gum and turns into a blueberry. Veruca is the one that wants the trained squirrel and runs in the room to get one after being expressly told NO and the squirrels attack her and throw her down the garbage chute.

Come to think of it, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a really cruel story.
Isn’t it delightful? :)

And speaking of that, “Oh bus driver? We’re going to need a squirrel here at seat 10.”

Sharon September 26, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I love hearing about stuff like this. Just when you think, “I’ve heard it all.” something like this pops up and you are reassured that the human race will never cease to come up with new ways to show our craziness.

OP, you handled this perfectly.

Asharah September 26, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Psyche, Violette Beuregard was turned into a giant blueberry for chewing the experimental chewing gum meal. Veruca Salt got dumped down the garbage chute for either being a bad egg or a bad nut, depending on whether you’re watching the Gene Wilder or the Johnny Depp version.

The Other Amber September 26, 2011 at 5:49 pm

OP you’re way, way more polite than I would have been. I’m sure I’d have said something about not surrendering my personal property to strangers on demand.

I have, actually, given a personal item of mine to a child on a bus before. By choice, and without being asked. It was a holographic patterned pin and the child was staring intently at it for quite a while. She was being very good and I could tell she very much wanted to see the pin, so I asked her mother if it would be alright and then I just gave it to her. It only cost a few dollars and while I thought it was kind of cool this child thought it was wonderful.

As for little Veruca, unfortunately I know exactly what she’s going to grow up to be like. I have an extended family member who was given everything she wanted growing up – tv in her room at something like 8 years old, cell phone, computer of her own in her bedroom. She wasn’t spoiled because she was an only child (I know some people think only kids are spoiled), she just knew that if she asked for something her parents would get it for her. Now in her 20’s and she brags about how she never has to buy drinks at the bar because guys always buy stuff for her, tries to manipulate her way into getting free stuff, and complains about how the “ugly” people at work are getting married and she’s single. I keep wanting to say well if you weren’t spending time letting guys get you drunk and then going off with them until the wee hours of the morning then maybe you’d meet someone who wanted an actual relationship. Mind you she’d also need to learn to not to be incredibly vain, narcissistic and shallow too.

Nashvillegirl September 26, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I don’t often let my friends’ kids play with my phone! Why on earth would I let a stranger’s kid play with it. Sure, I wait until upgrade time and get the nice, expensive phone on the cheap but still, it costs money and to replace it would be three to four times what I originally paid for the thing.

That is my favorite movie!

Oh and as my father used to say to me when I got to high school/college age, “I always wanted to give you everything that you wanted but as time went on, it got more expensive. That is why I always told you how much overtime I had to work when we sent you on a trip, so you would know that there was a cost associated with the wants.” And while I will be paying for student loans the rest of my life it seems as well as a car note, I appreciate it all. I learned the value of the things I wanted.

Another Alice September 26, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Un. Be. Lievable. Seriously blows my mind. And yet, it shouldn’t because of what happened at my last birthday . . .

A large group of friends and I went out to celebrate with a brunch. There, they gave me cards, and two friends gave me flowers. One gave me fake roses with gold glitter on them (as a fun sort of joke gift) and another gave me a real bouquet of very pretty roses. After brunch, we went to a bar down the street to continue the celebrations. It had a few tables and served food, and a family with a young girl, no more than four, were there sitting at one of the tables. My friends and I were across the room at the bar, and weren’t paying any attention to them whatsoever.

As the family left, however, and passed us, the father stopped me and said, “My daughter really loves your flowers.” I said thank you, and that they were a gift from my friends for my birthday. He said happy birthday, and then asked if his daughter could have one! I was very, very flabbergasted, but the man wasn’t nearly as rude as the man in this story, and I felt sort of badly. I was also sort of in shock, and couldn’t really think of a response. I took the fake-joke flowers (probably unbelievably gorgeous to a four year old, what with the gold glitter and all!), and took a full five minutes trying to yank one off for her. I figured that it wasn’t a big deal. He asked his daughter to say thank you, and she didn’t. Granted, it was out of shyness, as opposed to being a brat, but still – if you have the gall to ask for something that doesn’t belong to you from someone you don’t know, you at LEAST should have a child who would appreciate it.

A few minutes later, I found one of my friends starting to pull off one of the real roses! I asked what she was doing and she said, “I think she wanted a real flower, not the fake one.” That’s when I actually had a response and said, “Well, when it’s her birthday, maybe her parents can get her one.” (eye roll) I then saw that the family was still standing there, and again felt sort of bad that they heard me – but not really. I mean, come on!

It’s really a no-win situation; if a parent would actually have the audacity to ask for something for their child from a complete stranger, then they’re clearly going to be annoyed you don’t love their “precious” if you say no. But then YOU lose when you do end up feeling bad and giving it to them.

MeganAmy September 26, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I cannot get my jaw off the floor!

OP, good for you for not caving to that ridiculousness!

If OP *had* lent the phone to the child, OP would have been rewarded with
-the child dropping and damaging the phone
-the child not returning the phone
-an argument from the child when OP wanted the phone back
-a missed bus stop while still trying to get the phone back
-no compensation from the father for a damaged phone or a missed bus stop

Lizza September 26, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I feel sort of bad for this little girl as she obviously doesn’t have anyone who is teaching her proper manners, and I bet things will only get worse as she gets older. She is in for a rude awakening when she comes across someone who isn’t as polite as the OP – by that I mean someone who isn’t going to just calmly ignore her rudeness (BTW, good job OP, I don’t know if I’d have had that kind of patience.)

A few years ago, a friend gave me some Hello Kitty earrings for Christmas (I love Hello Kitty, even though I’m a grown woman.) They were large and dangly and fun. I work in a salon, and was wearing them one day when a client’s young daughter saw them. She loved them, and I bent down so she could look closer. Then she asked if she could have them. I said no as nicely as possible, but she kept asking, growing more and more agitated and loud until her mother said, “Oh, just give them to her, Hello Kitty is for little girls anyway.” Um, excuse me?! I told her they were a gift and I was not going to give them away, but if she wanted a pair she could go to X store. The girl cried and I felt bad, but I wasn’t about to give away my earrings just because she wanted them!

MollySue September 26, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Words to live by: “I want” doesn’t get.

Ann September 26, 2011 at 6:20 pm

My kids could explain it: “I wants” never get.

X September 26, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I almost don’t have the words. Unbelievable. I don’t even let my /niece/ touch my smartphone, because although she’s well behaved, an iPhone with enough memory for my music as well retails for about $800 in Canada and they’re not all that much cheaper on a phone contract, especially if it gets broken/lost before the phone is paid off. (Dont know what phone the OP had; that’s just by way of example — regardless of make and model, smart phones aint cheap). If he had kept bothering you, you could have asked for a security deposit of the replacement cost of the phone, :P Of course, he undoubtedly would have seen that as hideously rude, intimating his perfect princess was capable of breaking something expensive.

Never lend something you can’t afford/wouldn’t mind having to replace yourself. Well done OP for neither caving nor reacting to his unbelievable arrogance and rudeness.

Whatcha Gonna Do When They Come for You September 26, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Too often nowadays, parents want to be their kids’ best friends and forget about the parent part. As a police officer, I have taken more calls than I care to remember about kids out of control because their parents ignore the judicious use of the word “no” and then catch holy hell when then actually do try parent them.

On more than one occasion, I have had parents blame me when their kid screws up; I have even had one father threaten to sue me because I arrested his daughter in a high drug area with ecstasy in her purse. On the way out, he told her not to worry and that they’d go shopping once bail was set.

Serenity S September 26, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Wow! I have to agree with other posters that it is the father’s fault that the child acts like that. I also agree with the poster who mentioned that parents should be teaching their children not to accept gifts from strangers and to avoid strangers. The father was very rude, the child was rude also, but she probably hasn’t been taught to be polite. Good for you OP for standing up for yourself. You were not rude at all.

Asharah September 26, 2011 at 7:56 pm

How’s this for a comeback? “And I want world peace.”

Nadine September 26, 2011 at 8:10 pm

It was a scam. The child has been taught to point at cell phones, and the father then presses the cell phone owner to turn it over. The instant the cell phone was handed to the child, the phone would have been passed to a confederate, and all would have gotten off at the next stop, disappearing into the crowd.

This was a theft ring, not an etiquette issue.

Brian Katcher September 26, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Daaadie! I waaant an Oompa Loompa!

Cat September 26, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Parents who want to be friends with their children and smooth the rough paths of life rather than just be parents are more common than crabgrass these days. I once had a room-mate (for all of one month before I could afford to move out) whose mother drove her to school the first day my roomie was teaching a class. Mommy went into the high school classroom, and told the teenagers to be nice to her little girl because it was her first day of teaching and Debbie was nervous. Oh, that was a big help.

As to the parent, I would have said something along the lines of, “I’m sorry, but there are some x-rated photos of me and my boyfriend and our maid with frozen bananas on here that your little girl should not see.” The second time he poked me, I would have screamed, “Take your hands off me, you pervert!”

If the OP is too polite for that there’s always, “I want to marry Tom Selleck and to win the lottery. Any way you can make that happen for me?”

Kry September 26, 2011 at 9:18 pm

“Of course your daughter can play with my phone… at the rate of $100 a min plus a $1000 breakage bond and a $…..” Would have been my response. Turns them away every time.

Rug Pilot September 26, 2011 at 10:16 pm

So. What’s mine is mine and what’s yours is going to be mine if I want it? There’s a word for people like that and it’s a criminal term. Extortionists.

PrincessSimmi September 26, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I’ve dealt with some nasty kids in my time, but I’ve got one story that was really cute :)

I was waiting for the bus and suddenly felt something pull on my bag – HARD. It knocked me off balance. I turned around expecting to see someone taking my wallet and instead I saw a little 3 year old girl with the biggest brown eyes I have ever seen staring up at me, hanging on to the little teddy bear I had hanging off my bag (a team supporter bear for League football). She immediately backed off and went over to Mummy, who said “I’m so sorry, I didn’t realise she was going to do that!” and took her by the hand and started telling her off for grabbing my bag. I ended up giving her the bear because it didn’t really cost me anything but the way her face lit up was worth it.

My least favourite trip was the one on the train when a group of 15-year-olds started SMOKING in our carriage. We ended up evacuating the carriage because of it.

DelhiDaze September 27, 2011 at 6:04 am

My go-to response in this situation: “Oh, you can get one of these in any store. Your mommy/daddy can take you there to get one today!”

…and now it’s the parent’s problem again.

--Lia September 27, 2011 at 8:18 am

Nadine– I also wondered if the whole thing was a set-up for theft from the start. But if that were the case, wouldn’t the father have been more, um, “polite”? He could have started with something friendly, apologized a little for his cranky daughter, said how much she liked the game, then asked if she could play with it for a minute just to calm her down. If the object is to steal phones, that would work better than his demand, and not doing those things is what makes me think that he didn’t consider theft until after the daughter started raising a ruckus.

Jaana September 27, 2011 at 9:33 am

Here’s one of my favorite comments when someone makes unreasonable requests. I tell them with a smile, “It’s good to want things. It builds character. “

noph September 27, 2011 at 9:39 am

I don’t even like to let my boyfriend or my mother use my phone. I touch that thing to my face! I carry wipes and try to remember to wipe it down BEFORE I put it to my face. I would not let a stranger use my phone. On the rare occassion I have felt safe allowing a stranger to engage me about my phone, I will offer to call someone FOR them. Don’t like it? Find a pay phone. Same thing goes for playing games on my phone. I don’t care who you are. My phone, my germs. Things like staph love shared devices.
Had it been me, I’d have turned and asked if the child had all of her shots as I had a highly communicable disease that hit children particularly hard. (Note- having actually used that excuse in public before, be warned it may also open up seating around you.)

A.J. September 27, 2011 at 9:48 am

I’m somehow not surprised. I was at a niece’s birthday party at a fast food restaurant and her parents had bought a bouquet of balloons for her and the kids she invited. Her mom had one tied to each chair for the kids at the party so they could take it home with them and several for the birthday girl. A man with a little boy came up to her mom and asked if he could have a balloon and she said no, it was for the kids at the party. A few minutes later, we saw the father untie one of the balloons from one of the chairs and give it to his son! Real great parenting.

A friend of mine told me this story – she was wearing a few pins on her purse with colorful animals on them. While she was out somewhere, a little girl came up to her and told her she liked her pins. My friend said thanks, she liked them too and mentioned where she got them. The girl asked if she could have one, and my friend said no, they were hers. The kid reached over and pulled one off, almost ripping my friends purse, and ran off with it.

This is exactly why I hate OPC – other people’s children.

Clair Seulement September 27, 2011 at 9:56 am

This is probably the rudest behavior I’ve ever read about on this site. Giving another motorist the finger pales in comparison to teaching your young children that they have a *right* to demand strangers’ property, IMO. I’d much rather believe that this was a scam, as I initially wondered and as other posters have suggested, but now I see that at least two commenters have chimed in with very similar stories! I don’t think the Sudoku-on-the-Metro mom was running a stolen newspapers scam, so now I have to concede that there are people walking among us who have no qualms exhibiting this warped solipsistic philosophy.

To me this is a kind of child abuse–to tell your child that strangers who don’t give into her demands are “rude” is to put her at a severe disadvantage socially. How does someone reach adulthood thinking this is perfectly acceptable?

Caper September 27, 2011 at 10:50 am

Wow. That father needs a whack up the side of his head and the little girl needs a reality check. As others have said – she was probably raised this way. She will be another SS that will provide us with stories of entitlement in years to come. Good on you for sticking to your guns, OP.

I also can’t believe some of the other stories on here, but I’m glad to read that they all ended with those people having spines and using them :)

Edhla September 27, 2011 at 11:44 am

I think the comments pointing out the phone could be expensive or have sensitive info on it are missing the point. It doesn’t matter if you have the latest iPhone or a wad of tissue- it is YOURS, and that child needs to learn that she has no right to even ASK a stranger for anything they own, let alone demand it.

Athena C September 27, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Sorta tangential to the story, but the “I want” reminds me of something I do with my kids –

We just moved, and so we have recently spent a lot of time looking at furniture / other household things for our home. For the first few places, I heard a lot of “I want this, I want that,” but just the words “I want” coming out of the kids’ mouths made me feel very tense and automatically say “no.” Plus they just sounded like spoiled brats. So I told them that I was glad they were enjoying looking around, but instead of saying “I want,” say “I like.” Instantly much more pleasing on the ears, and I can even have a fun conversation with them about things we see that we “like” rather than automatically cutting off the conversation with “no.”

Psyche September 27, 2011 at 12:13 pm

My apologies. It’s been a while since I’ve seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I was telling this story to my mother and she reminded me about how Veruca’s parents actually *paid* people to buy all the chocolate bars and open them up to find the Golden Ticket. If that isn’t spoiled, I don’t know what is!

daisy September 27, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Something like this happened to me once. I was waiting for a bus and I had just stopped at the store for some candy. So I was waiting for my bus which was supposed to arrive in about 5 minutes and I open my candy bar and take a bite. A rough looking woman lets her little boy maybe 2 or 3 out of his stroller. He immediately starts looking and me and whining that he wants some candy. The woman gives me this death glare like how dare I eat candy in front of her little boy. So either the etiquette slight was on me since I as a grown adult was eating candy and therefore wasn’t following her no candy rule so therefore setting a bad example. OR that I dared not give her little “angel” my candy when he wanted it. Based on the looks of her I suspect it was the latter.

LonelyHound September 27, 2011 at 5:32 pm

OP and Kara (post #38), both of you are far nicer than I ever would have been. It is unbelievable that not only would someone demand your personal property but do so under the guise of “for the greater good.” Yes, people were going to be disturbed that your lovely little girl is throwing a tantrum; but that is where you step in and discipline her. To Kara, I would have told the mother that sharing is good when her child must share with playmates or siblings; but not with strange adults (or really any adult that has already said no). It seems these parents have not taught their children the difference between want and need. That is a distiction I think all kids should be required to learn.

My husband’s little brother (there is a 20 year age difference) used to ask DH all the time to play games on his iPhone. DH told LB that he would allow it for certain time limits, but when the time limit was up and DH did not use the phone LB would pester again. Finally fed up we decided on a new course of action. We ran the phone’s battery down to low and told LB he could play with the phone until the battery died and when that occurred he was no longer allowed to play with the phone any more that day. Sure enough, phone dies, we recharge it and the whining begins again. This time LB was caught in front of his and DH father (all other times he had approached us without Dh parents about). Father proceeds to get the story and then demand to know why any son of his would go back on his word. We never were asked for our phone again. :)

KitKat September 27, 2011 at 9:50 pm

It’s sad that my 5 year old cousin behaves better than that girl but his grandparents have been really good about making sure he’s not entitled. It shocks me that people are allowing this to happen. It makes me wonder if the parents themselves were taught the same way when they were children.

Also, a “game” my dad used to play with my brother and I when we had to wait in long lines was “Even or Odd?” It required nothing but our hands and was actually pretty entertaining (it’s played like Rock, Paper, Scissors but instead you throw out any number of fingers and say whether the number of fingers thrown out is an even number or an odd number).

Monica September 28, 2011 at 4:31 am

Of everything I’ve ever read on ehell, this is the most shocking. My jaw went limp.

MellowedOne September 28, 2011 at 8:51 am

It all begins at about age 2, when a parent’s role shifts from “caretaker” to “instructor”, and the child…with good parental guidance..starts learning the world is NOT there to please them! They are called the ‘terrible 2’s for a reason’!

This story is a perfect example of parents who, instead of teaching their child boundaries, rules, and the word ‘no’, cave in to their every request, demand, and tantrum.

As a side note, I cringe whenever I see parents hand their expensive phones over to their kids to quiet them.