Baby Shower Crafting Hell

by admin on October 17, 2012

A very dear co-worker of mine got pregnant “by surprise.” She was a total trooper with the pregnancy, and after the initial shock, really started to become excited about having a child. So of course, I was thrilled to be asked to attend her shower.

I arrived late to the shower because I had to work (our workplace is staffed 24/7, and weekends are particularly difficult to get time off for). I was happy to see my co-worker, plus several other people that I haven’t talked to in a long time. I greeted the mother, and started conversing with some of these long lost friends. I noticed that several people in attendance at the party were making baby onesies with iron on patches and stamps. I did not jump into this activity because I didn’t know how to do it (I’m not particularly crafty) and I had already worked an 8 hour shift. I figured that I had come late, so I would just sit this activity out and enjoy the company of others, wish the mother well, and present my gift. I also noticed, looking around the room, how frustrated the other women were becoming with this craft, upon realizing it required sewing around all of the ironed edges and other minute details. The project required a lot of focus and energy, and basically took over a lot of the shower.

When I mentioned out loud that I didn’t think I would do a onesie because I’m not crafty, the hostess looked at me and said, “Oh no, you HAVE to do a onesie.” Now mind you, no one is eating, no one is drinking, no one is visiting with the mother or playing games, but everyone is engaged in this craft project. I was then handed a onesie and some fabric, and basically told to get to work by the hostess. The co-hostess then proceeded to critique my work and the fact that I didn’t know how to use the various stamps and iron-on patches, and seemed very annoyed with my slow/inadequate progress and the fact that I didn’t already know how to do all of this. The shower felt more like a onesie sweatshop. In the end, I picked a simple design that I wasn’t terribly proud of and didn’t do a very good job with because I felt rushed. In the end, I could have skipped the whole experience, because the few women who WERE crafty and liked the activity produced 2-3 onesies apiece.

Is this how things are at baby/bridal showers? I don’t think your guests, who have already purchased a present and taken time out of their afternoon should be pressed into also turning out overly complicated crafts. 1012-12

Best line of the post:  “The shower felt more like a onesie sweatshop.”   hahaha

StephM October 17, 2012 at 4:52 am

If I were pressured into doing this, I would suddenly remember that I left the oven on.

josie October 17, 2012 at 5:01 am

I wonder how the ladies felt that brought onesies in their baby gifts? I do crafts, but I doubt that even I would of enjoyed this party. I much prefer a comfy seat, some pleasant conversation and a cold drink while I watch the festivities.

CeCe October 17, 2012 at 5:47 am

Truly bizarre. What was the point of this? Were the guests making outfits for the baby? Handmade gifts are lovely, but not if you’re forced to them and they aren’t your forte!

Just call me J October 17, 2012 at 5:54 am

A friend of mine had onesie decorating as one of the activities at her baby shower, which was the first time I’d heard of it.

I didn’t attend, so I don’t know all the particulars, but I do know the decorating was announced in advance so people would expect it. They used fabric paint – which is a lot easier than embroidery. Nobody fussed over the designs or criticized anyone else’s work, either. After all, the design never stays neat and pretty for long once the baby starts actually wearing the onesie.

I think it’s a fine idea as a shower activity, but for any party where you’ll be doing crafts, you have to take your guests’ skill level into consideration, and pick a simple craft.

o_gal October 17, 2012 at 6:32 am

I think the moment I became “an adult” was when I realized that you know, I’m X number of years old and I don’t WANT to do whatever it is, and I don’t HAVE to do it. In my case, it was a dentist pressuring me into getting all the pits and fissures filled in my teeth, calling them “cavities”. And you also realize that the person pressuring you into doing the activity has no real power over you. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but in this case, I would have smiled politely, handed the onesie and craft materials back to the hostess and said that no, I’m not comfortable doing this, I’d rather just socialize, so please excuse me. And then walked over and made chit-chat with some of the other women.

As a side note, there’s a cute way to get decorated onesies for the baby that doesn’t involve crafts. Just buy plain white onesies and bring a variety of colored permanent ink markers. Have people sign them. Requires just a minute or two of their time and pretty much everyone can write something.

Emmy October 17, 2012 at 7:00 am

I don’t think the activity itself was a terrible idea, but I think the way the hostesses handled it was awful. If the table with the craft was available for those who wanted to make onesies, I think that is fine and a creative idea. It should not be mandatory. However, for the hostesses to hound guests into the activity, be annoyed with guests when they don’t have the level of skill needed for the craft, and criticize their work when it doesn’t meet the hostesses’ standards sucks any enjoyment out of the activity. Also having a difficult craft that required skills that not all the guests have was also very poor planning.

When hosting, the first priority should be to make the guests comfortable. The OP said nobody was eating, drinking, or mingling. I enjoy crafts, but at a baby shower I would rather interact with the other guests and enjoy the festivities. I can’t think of anybody who would enjoy being ushered to a table with craft supplies and have the hostesses nattering on about how the craft doesn’t live up to their exacting standards. By having this mandatory activity, the hostesses took the enjoyment of the shower away for most of the guests.

PM October 17, 2012 at 7:03 am

This sounds like a nightmare. Not everyone is interested in crafting and this shower sounds incredibly boring and uncomfortable. It’s a classic case of letting an agenda overwhelm what should be a celebration.

I attended a wedding shower where we were drafted by the Matron of Honor into scrapbooking a wedding “memory book” for the bride. Please note that the Matron of Honor was a salesperson for the at-home sales company that sold the scrapbooking products we were supposed to use. And that the “craft time” was chock full of none-too-subtle sales pitches for said products.

I hate scrapbooking. I admire the people who can do it. But the whole process just stresses me out.
Seeing where this was headed, I declined to participate. And as soon as the MOH was distracted enough by her sales pitching, I gave the bride my gift, wished her well and got the heck out. Later, I was told the MOH was very unhappy with my departure and called me a “poor sport” and “Didn’t I know that the scrapbooking was the whole point of the shower?”

Yikes.

Chicalola October 17, 2012 at 7:06 am

I have seen it done a lot easier than this. Fabric markers!!!! Then you aren’t pressured to mess with things you don’t know how to use…..and you can pretty much draw or write anything you want. They end up being cute,funny, and more personal. I’ve never seen anyone act like a onesie dictator though! That would take all the fun out of it…..not to mention the shower!

LadyLelan October 17, 2012 at 7:08 am

How rude… I have never understood people who think it is normal or fun to pressure others into doing something for the sake of a celebration. Never have, never will.

I think that, had I been pressured into such a situation, I would have politely reaffirmed that when I say no, it means no, that I do not feel at ease doing this, and I would simply have left.

koolchicken October 17, 2012 at 7:13 am

I could see this as being a particularly fun activity that my family would love to do during a baby shower. However, everyone in my family would be showing up with a handmade gift because crafting is what we do. If you’re not crafty I imagine this must be agony. It sounds like the hostess saw this party idea on a blog or TV talk show and thought it was the perfect alternative to the more common shower games. Sadly it would appear as though she forgot she would be dealing with real people who have varying interests and not the uber crafty sorts of her baby shower fantasies. And it’s obvious she couldn’t handle the thought of someone not fitting into her vision. She should not have forced anyone to make a onesie. If it were me throwing the party I would have set up a few craft stations with different things and clear instructions would be placed at each table. I would make it clear that these activities were optional, if you simply wanted to drink tea and visit that’s fine too.

Carol October 17, 2012 at 7:18 am

I think my sister did something for several of her friends’ bridal showers where she asked people to send her a quilting square with a design on it that represented something meaningful to them and the bride, and then she sewed it all together. I THINK she sent them the fabrics, too, but I can’t remember.

I get the feeling that this onesie sweatshop (hee) was supposed to be in that same spirit, and failed miserably, due to bad planning/sportsmanship/understanding of the hostess.

I guess if I were to have that kind of activity, I’d supply onesies and fabric pens, and have people take 10 minutes to doodle something on the things and then move on, and even then I probably wouldn’t because as you said, not everyone is crafty. I KNOW I’m not.

Angeldrac October 17, 2012 at 7:22 am

Hmmm….I think my brain is broken.
I’m in the process of planning my sister’s baby shower, and all I could think of while reading this was “Decorating onesies! That’s a great idea!”

The Elf October 17, 2012 at 7:35 am

I think it decorating a onesie would be a pleasant “game” at a baby shower, but it should be a side thing, not foisted upon the guests as a mandatory thing. Nor should it be so complicated or require skill like sewing.

Besides, could you imagine the mom trying to use a poorly sewn onesie? They likely just ended up as souveneirs of her party more than anything else.

Sarah Paige October 17, 2012 at 7:43 am

I’m with OP- I do not think I would have enjoyed this activity at all. Like @StephM, I would suddenly remember a terribly important thing I had to take care of.

The baby showers I have attended were simple and straightforward. Come, greet the MTB,put your present on the pile, have a bite of food, sip of drink, *maybe* play a game or two and watch the MTB open the presents, if she was so inclined.

I can do simple sewing- buttons, temporary hem fixes and I can press the wrinkles out of shirts & pants, but I would be a failure at the onesie shop!

egl October 17, 2012 at 7:51 am

If she really wanted a bunch of handcrafted onesies, why not just give her guests some onesies, fabric paint, and maybe a few stencils? It would have been much quicker, and probably produced better results among the less crafty guests. And it might actually have been fun.

Din October 17, 2012 at 7:52 am

I wonder what would have happened if everyone had gone “on strike”?

PrplPngn October 17, 2012 at 8:03 am

I suppose any future housewarming party will include raking leaves and painting….

PiSquared October 17, 2012 at 8:07 am

We decorated onesies for my sister’s baby shower, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. The trick is to make it easy for everyone. We used fabric paint that came in squeeze bottles. White onesies were supplied along with a stack of pre-cut pieces of cardboard to stick inside the onesie during decorating. Some clothesline had been strung up before hand and the decorated onsies were hung up to dry and to display. Of course, no one was forced to decorate a onsie if they didn’t feel like it. For example, the grandmother opted not to decorate one, but still had fun looking at what other people had done. The fabric paint was easy enough to use that you could still talk, and enjoy cake and punch as well. I’m fairly crafty, but I can’t imagine being forced to sew and iron as a party activity.

AMC October 17, 2012 at 8:08 am

I’ve heard of making DIY onesies at showers before. It’s a cute idea, but not if the guests aren’t enjoying it. The whole point of having an activity like this at a baby shower is that the guests have fun making them and mom & baby get some unique keepsakes. If it feels more like a sweatshop than fun, then that defeats the purpose of it. The hostess shouldn’t have forced it on the guests, and probably should have chosen a less complicated project.

Crafts at showers can be fun if they are well organized, not too complicated, and don’t take too long. I once co-hosted a shower for my cousin’s wife. One of the “games” was a DIY ABC book. Each guest was assigned a letter and given a piece of paper. We used crayons and markers to draw pictures to go along with our letter. (A is for apple, B is for bird, etc.) The MTB’s grandmother had the letter F and chose not to draw a picture and instead wrote a lovely letter to Baby about the importance of Family. The whole thing took about 15-20 minutes to complete. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. The MTB said it was her favorite part of the shower and really cherishes the book that her friends and family made together.

Lo October 17, 2012 at 8:09 am

This sounds like my idea of hell.

I don’t enjoy going to showers. I really don’t enjoy going to baby showers. I’m not a girl’s girl. I’m not game for the silly traditions and activities. When I go I bring a gift, take some refreshment, give my best to the mother-to-be and try to stay out of it. If this were going on when I walked in the door there is no power on earth could make me sit and do forced labor on some tacky summer-camp-craft-project onesie that no self-respecting baby would be caught dead in. Iron-on patches and stamps? No.

All I can say is, at least you weren’t charged for the cost of the onesie.

Margo October 17, 2012 at 8:24 am

I think that if the hostess(es) planned this they ought to have made this clear on the invitation, and ideally to have offered an alternative option – not eveyone is crafty, and they may be all sorts of issues as to why people may have been unable to participate, or uncomfotable doing so. It also deson’t sound like a lot of fun for the GoH – it sounds as though most people would have had to concentrate on the crat work and would nottherefore be able to spend time chatting with the GoH.

I’d say that the hostess was rude for springing this on everyone without arning, and ruder still to then put pressure on guests who were reluctant to join in.

Coralreef October 17, 2012 at 8:50 am

OK, maybe I’m not part of the “in” crowd, but I was under the impression that a baby shower was to give the mother-to-be little useful/cute gifts, swap hilarious baby/kid stories and oohhh and aaahhh over everyone else’s offering while nibbling on high sugar foods.

“The shower felt more like a onesie sweatshop.” I agree. Best. Line. Ever.

Maddie October 17, 2012 at 8:55 am

In theory it sounds like a fun activity and isn’t a bad idea for a shower. However, it should completely optional and no guest forced into participating. It’s one of those things that some people will enjoy and others want no part of. The hostess was so completely out of line.

Molly October 17, 2012 at 9:00 am

We did the onesie decorating at a shower I went to. The hostess provided the fabric markers and coloring books that we could put under the plain white onesie and trace a picture. Everyone was happy they didn’t have to bend their artistic abilities beyond breaking for a shower activity. Now, if there had been sewing and other things required to complete the activity, I don’t think as many people would have liked it as did. (‘Course, I could be biased because I think mine turned out the best, but I still thought it was fun. And my friend got a onesie with an alien on it which would have been hard to find in a store. :-) )

M October 17, 2012 at 9:19 am

+1 for StephM’s comment

Had it been me in that situation, I have an app on my phone which allows me to stage a fake phone call when I need to get out of an unwarranted situation, I would have programmed it to ring within 10 minutes, walked in, said my hellos and how do you do and then drop off the gift.

Library Diva October 17, 2012 at 9:21 am

Hostess was much too heavy-handed with this activity. She ruined what could have been a fun alternative to the normal shower activities. People attend these things hoping to have some food and pleasant conversation in exchange for fulfilling their social obligation, not to work for free in a “onesie sweatshop” (loved that line, too!) When you force everyone to do it, that’s what it becomes, rather than just another activity.

Mary October 17, 2012 at 9:21 am

I think the hostess was terribly rude and I think I would have just excused myself from this poor excuse of a shower and gone home. In fact, I did once suffer through an excruciating 4 hour long shower where every activity was then buffered with a 30 minute sit around and do nothing time. It was the single most boring and frustrating afternoon ever spent. After the 4 hours I just said I had to leave and left. The “shower” was still going but the MTB hadn’t opened a single gift or cut the cake yet. We played 6 games. (6!) and ate a nice lunch but enough is enough…sorry, I digress. In retrospect I think the hostess should have written something in the invitation about making onesies, or sent onesies out ahead of time. Or had the people who wanted to make a onesie come 30 minutes earlier than the other guests. Something, anything so that no one is forced to make a onesie. Plus, as a mom, I would never put one of them on my baby anyway. Never. I do not like that kind of stuff in the least. I wonder if the MTB really wanted all those crafty onesies in the first place or if she was just suffering in silence.

Lisa Marie October 17, 2012 at 9:29 am

When pressured like this for something I do not want to do, I would continue to sit and state I would
rather visit and I am too tired to do a craft right now. What are they going to do pull the chair out
from under you? If badgered, I let them rant. If it goes too far tell the guest of honor perhaps we can
get together another time and leave.

OP October 17, 2012 at 9:46 am

@ PM, this is EXACTLY what led to this craft. One of the co-hosts had an Etsy shop where she made these, and was rolling out a “baby shower kit.” And she was the one being kind of critical about my handiwork, which dude…… if that had been a prereq of the shower, I would have just been like “nope, gotta work that day.” I really didn’t get to do what I wanted to do, which was support the mother and catch up with old friends.

Helen October 17, 2012 at 9:49 am

I’ve only seen this done with fabric paint, which can take 30 seconds and tends to go over well.

I hope the onesie sweatshop approach is not a new trend!

Stacey Frith-Smith October 17, 2012 at 10:09 am

Decorating outfits for a baby or making an alphabet book sound like fun activities- but you do have to know your guests. If you are a crafty crowd that all sew, you could pull this off. If you are a sorta crafty crowd, fabric paints and markers. If you are into natural/organic lifestyle, the idea of all that paint coming into contact with baby-to-be might alarm you. So to hostesses, if you are mixing groups whose members are varied, the known forms work best. There’s a reason that fun and creative food displays, pretty drinks to sip, a few ice breakers and chit chat are the norm. It works for the largest variety of demographic. These forms won’t meet every need or satisfy every taste but they are well received precisely because they are expected, and usually enjoyable.

Annie October 17, 2012 at 10:11 am

I feel bad for the mother-to-be. This must have been embarrassing for her. And, if the OP had refused to do the craft, the MTB probably would have had to listen to the hostess complain about the OP after the shower.

Kristin October 17, 2012 at 10:22 am

I was going to comment earlier, but Lo pretty much wrote exactly what I wanted to say. I’ve only been to one baby shower in my life and thank god the hostess had the decency to put out bottles of wine. And there were no crafts.

shel October 17, 2012 at 10:36 am

We did the decorate onesies thing for my step-sisters shower, and it ended up being a lot of fun. But in no way was anybody forced to participate… we provided the onesies, iron on letters (no sewing required), fabric markers, fabric paints and stencils. So there were plenty of options for all levels of crafting ability, and again, if someone just wanted to sit and chat that was fine too. Although most people seemed to have fun, and ended up deciding to make a onesie eventually if they originally weren’t going to.
We also put a bit of a time limit on it, since we didn’t want to take up the whole shower… and those of us hosting and who weren’t going anywhere hung out with the new mom and finished up/ decorated the extra ones after the party was over.

But to try and force someone to participate, and take away from the social aspects of the party is a real drag, and definitly not my idea of a good time.

livvy17 October 17, 2012 at 10:38 am

Awful. Next thing you know, we’ll be getting invites for a Housecleaning party or a Christmas shower. Sad that it seems like the whole world has lost the idea that a party is supposed to be a gift of the host or hostess to the guest, not the other way around.

--Lia October 17, 2012 at 10:59 am

“and basically told to get to work by the hostess”

At which point one remembers the bit about always having transportation to get home, makes her apologies, and leaves.

Harley Granny October 17, 2012 at 11:02 am

I think I’d rather do this than those very……boring…..games!!!

My young nieces crowd enjoy tie-dye so they did that one. The dye was in spray bottles and the onsies were wrapped up with rubber bands. Not matter if you’re crafty or not, you can’t really mess up tie-dye.

No one should be forced to do any of them tho.

Maureen October 17, 2012 at 11:13 am

There is no way in the world I would be forced to do anything I did not want to do. Trust that as sure as *H-E-Double Hockeysticks* would not have crafted a onesie. Or a scrapbook. Or a host of other ridiculous games that are played at these grab fests. One can politely decline and, if pushed, decline again. Smile all the while. You do not have to be rude to get your point across, but you sure don’t have to be forced, either.

JGM1764 October 17, 2012 at 11:14 am

I went to a baby shower once where they had this activity, but nobody felt it was mandatory, that’s for sure. Those who participated had great fun, I thought it much more pleasant than so many awful shower games-especially the tacky “poopy diaper” game with the melted candy bars inside, gross!
The shower I attended had an inconspicuous station set up in the corner with a stack of plain onesies and boxes of fabric paints and a sign on the table for what to do. The hostess had even put out plastic smocks for those who didn’t want to risk getting paint on their own clothing. I thought it was cute and clever.

Silverlily October 17, 2012 at 11:24 am

Sewing is not something that I enjoy. At all. I’m terrible at it. (These two things form a continuous feedback loop.) That onesie would have looked like something Tim Burton threw together by the time I got through with it. What were the hostesses thinking? I am gleefully imagining some of the onesie sweatshop workers slyly turning their onesies inside out, and applying the patches and stamps to the wrong side…

@ Lo – I’m not a “girl’s girl,” either. I loathe the stupid games and such that have become de rigueur for showers. Plus, my social anxiety is so bad that the thought of being stuck with a group of strangers for several hours makes me physically shake. I declined attending the bridal shower of a friend with whom I am very close, as well as the three bridal showers thrown for my brother’s now-wife*, for the above reasons.

*One of these showers was a lingerie shower! I so do not want a preview of what is supposedly going to be tickling my brother’s fancy at a later date! Are lingerie showers a thing now? I’d rather do the onesie sweatshop [teehee!].

GHN October 17, 2012 at 11:33 am

I would probably have enjoyed the activity the OP describes. But then I am crafty.

I don’t expect others to enjoy such things the way I do. And the way this was set up, with too-difficult and too and too time consuming craft activities, I am not at all surprised that the activity felt like a onesie sweatshop. Like some of the others I would have gone shopping for fabric markers, and possibly fabric paint, in cheerful colors – something that even a person who doesn’t know which end of a needle to stick through fabric can enjoy.
And I certainly wouldn’t serve up carping criticism to the guests!

TylerBelle October 17, 2012 at 11:34 am

In a way, decorate-a-onesie activity for the shower sounds fun, but as many have noted, for that type of situation, the easier the better. I’d want it as so for me, because though I enjoy sewing, by hand and machine, I’d imagine becoming anxious and nervous hoping to do a halfway decent job during the time limitation and distractions within a party.

What gets me is pressuring guests into participating, then scrutinize what they have done. Goodness, I have to wonder what the co-hostess expected to accomplish with her critiquing? First, allow guests to choose whether to join in or sit out, and then for the ones who do participate, whether their work looks like a Rembrandt, or something your gerbil drew with its hind foot, smile and say, ‘How nice.’

gramma dishes October 17, 2012 at 11:35 am

It is amazing to me that there wasn’t suddenly a tidal wave of people who suddenly realized that regretfully they had to leave immediately because their cats were on fire. The shower could have gone down in history as the “Great Cat Inferno” shower.

I give kudos to the OP for at least trying to ‘play the game’, I’m not sure I would have, but I can certainly empathize with her frustration. I would have absolutely hated this and I even know how to sew!

Cat October 17, 2012 at 11:39 am

At least you were not assigned to assemble the crib. I don’t mind games at a party, but being assigned a task is not a game. I don’t know whether I would have declined or whether I would have just patched something together in five minutes and declared myself finished.
The notion of being ordered to do something by someone not in authority over me (ie. God, “Build an ark.” or the President, “We’re being invaded. Man the battlements!”) puts me off the task. What’s next, “Eat your vegetables!”?

Roslyn October 17, 2012 at 11:50 am

No Cake??

Wow, the only true point to showers and weddings is the cake….right??

Yea, I’m a caker girl………. :)

Chocobo October 17, 2012 at 11:55 am

I’m not really a fan of games at showers for this exact reason. What seems like a wonderful and fun idea to one person can be a nightmare to another. I’m sure the ladies who made the multiple onesies were thrilled, but the rest might have been as bored or uncomfortable as the OP. There’s no shame in declining to participate.

Personally I love the simple showers where the guests are treated to good food and drink, and the entertainment is simply to socialize with one another (imagine that!) and watch the bride/expecting mother open gifts. Another reason why complex registries and expectations of buying off the registry are disappointing — if you’ve already seen everything on the list, it takes all the fun out of seeing what the recipient gets.

Elle October 17, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Honestly, is this worse than eating melted candy bars out of diapers?

No. Not it is not.

Anonymous October 17, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Insane. Doesn’t Cow-irker realize that friends are more important than having a picture-perfect, Pinterest-worthy baby shower? Furthermore, doesn’t she realize that you can BUY packs of plain onesies at Wal-Mart (or almost anywhere), and most babies wear those happily? Also, I agree with what some previous posters said about how, even the most beautiful, work-of-art onesie won’t be so beautiful anymore once the baby spits up or spills something on it.

Calli Arcale October 17, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I can see what the hostess was thinking — “hey, this is a shower, showers need activities, and showers are meant to give things the new mother will need, so let’s combine the two into a fun activity that makes something she’ll love and treasure!” But she clearly didn’t think much past that. I suspect the hostess was out of her depth in hosting a party, had possibly never attended a shower herself, and genuinely thought this was a great idea, and then denial took over when it became apparent that it was a disaster.

That said, I kind of like the idea of decorated onesies, although if I were doing it, I’d just get a whole bunch of fabric markers and ask people to doodle on the onesies, possibly adding a contest element by having the new mom judge them in various categories for small prizes. (Cutest, funniest, most surface area covered, best use of color, whatever, preferably with some silly categories that would be a surprise and help break the ice.) It would take all of 15 minutes, tops. It could even be a team thing, so as to avoid having people who are less crafty having to compete against people who are more crafty. Best thing about fabric markers is you can use them just like any marker. When you’re done, you just throw them in the dryer for a while to set the ink, and then they’ll last for ages. Better than iron-on patches, in fact.

I’d probably participate in an event like this, because I like crafty stuff, but it would start to feel awkward fairly quickly since it sounds clear this was oriented more towards quality and less towards having fun together. Part of me wonders whether the hostess hadn’t gotten a gift at all and basically intended this to be the gift, but didn’t have time to assemble it herself and so roped the guests into doing it.

Raven October 17, 2012 at 1:04 pm

This is why I’ve come to hate showers. Cutesy games and banal crafts are just irritating. Why can’t a group of adult women just get together, have some refreshments, and enjoy each other’s company? Why the sudden need for glitter and insanity?