Road Rage Karma

by admin on December 4, 2012

Personally I think both of them are jerks since neither is willing to yield to the other.

Rebecca December 4, 2012 at 4:35 am

I think whoever made the video labelled the wrong car as the “jerk.” The jerk is in the SUV. Looks like he was supposed to merge, and everyone else appears to be zippering in, one for one. The SUV decides he just HAS to be in front of the blue car, even though he has plenty of room to merge in behind. And then he pulls a stupid and dangerous stunt like passing on the right, just so he can damage the inside of the blue car. Yes, the blue car shouldn’t have been so stubborn and just let the guy in and let it go, but I can also see why he didn’t want to.

coralreef December 4, 2012 at 6:45 am

Admin, you must know that losing 5 meters to get behind someone instead of in front ensures that you will be late for everything in your day. I must admit I laughed, but yes, both drivers are (dangerous) jerks.

Tini December 4, 2012 at 6:52 am

All the splashy guy had to do was drop back a little, and he would have been in there, but no – he had to go first. I thought this whole attitude of not backing down was stale when Robin Hood and Little John were trying to cross the bridge, and it hasn’t got any fresher since then.

Carol December 4, 2012 at 7:46 am

I agree. No one wins there. They are both idiots.

Penguin December 4, 2012 at 7:47 am

I agree with Admin. Plus, if the driver who was filming left more space in front of their car, it would have been easier for one of the two cars to fall back and get into line…

Saucygirl December 4, 2012 at 8:07 am

How did the guy happen to be filming? The whole thing seems kind of staged to me. Which makes it even worse, since it is very dangerous to play games like that on what is obviously a busy street

SS December 4, 2012 at 8:20 am

Also the SUV driver could be pulled up on assault charges if the other car got the license plate number. This occurred in Michigan where a car deliberately veered into a large puddle in order to drench a pedestrian standing on a corner. The car had to go out of its way in order to reach the puddle so it was obvious to all watching that it was deliberate. The courts did charge the driver with assault for the puddle attack. The suv driver here did the same thing. They left their lane, deliberately used the puddle in order to cause damage to the other person since they saw that the windows were down.

AMC December 4, 2012 at 8:24 am

I agree with Admin. Both reckless and both jerks. Seriously, SUV, you’re such a big hurry that you just HAVE to get in front of the blue car but not in enough of a hurry that you have time to fall back and slash the blue car.

ShinyFun December 4, 2012 at 8:25 am

I think it’s hilarious and I’m glad I wasn’t anywhere near them.

The Elf December 4, 2012 at 8:26 am

No one “wins”. I don’t think this is the USA because there’d be a double-yellow on the middle where traffic is going the opposite direction. If it were the USA, then usually it’s clear who is supposed to yield to who, and I’d put it on the SUV since it was his lane that was running out. Since he was running out of lane and the traffic was coming in the opposite direction, he was also stupid to leave himself hanging out there rather than (oh horrors!) get behind the sedan.

Din December 4, 2012 at 8:35 am

They’re both Darwin Award nominees. There was clearly space in front of the filming car for the SUV to merge, but he HAD to get in front of “jerk” car.

alkira6 December 4, 2012 at 9:04 am

I am stunned that two people who are old enough to be out in public decided that this behavior (on either part) was a good idea. Actually, I’m not stunned, I’m disappointed.

Jay December 4, 2012 at 9:11 am

The “winner” clearly could’ve just dropped in behind the “jerk”, in front of the guy with the camera. By the way, why is someone videotaping the road at all?

barb December 4, 2012 at 9:16 am

the car on the right had the right of way. The car on the left could have easily gotten in behind him.

Phoebe161 December 4, 2012 at 9:19 am

Agreed. Both are losers. No one “wins” in road rage games. (Unless there’s a lawsuit; then the lawyers win.)

Keller December 4, 2012 at 9:21 am

I agree that there were no winners in this situation. They were both wrong. Real road rage karma would have shown a police officer pulling both drivers over.

SFL December 4, 2012 at 9:23 am

I call shenanigans on that video. I think it was staged.

Amber December 4, 2012 at 9:26 am

Three cars are idiots.

SUV should have moved behind blue, following the line of the zipper.

Blue should have practiced defensive driving after realizing that SUV was a jerk and fell back rather than sticking it out (I assume on “principle”).

Filming driver should have dropped back some to allow someone to drop back. Also, filming while driving is NOT SAFE. Also also, filmer mislabled which car was the real jerk, making me feel like he or she doesn’t get the rules of the road.

But SUV takes the cake. If you damage property to get back at someone for perceived “jerkiness,” then you’re unhinged. Period.

Enna December 4, 2012 at 9:30 am

The car who should have mergerd should have merged sooner and not leave it to the last minute. The car who wouldn’t move because he/she was in the right lane was right to stay his/her ground. The car in the wrong lane should have stopped and then pulled over – that’s what you do when you are in the wrong lane. Where was the other car supposed to go? Off the road? Emergancy stop? No. The SUV then sped off, dangerously overtook to then get the other car wet: the SUV rocked and could have crashed and so could the other car and it would have been the SUV’s fault as s/he got the car wet.

Enna December 4, 2012 at 9:30 am

Also the guy filming needs to leave a bigger gap he was silly too.

WildIrishRose December 4, 2012 at 9:33 am

Neither one of those drivers is mature enough to have a license.

Enna December 4, 2012 at 9:33 am

Actually I think the police should look at this and see if they can get a number plate the SUV driver was driving dangerously. He was in the wrong lane and should’ve merged sooner, not drive off the road and get the car wet like that. If the SUV driver was making a geniune mistake he wouldn’t have behaved in this way, would have have indicated and waited to be let though.

Virg December 4, 2012 at 9:37 am

I agree with the Admin and I must say that whoever made the video has a very messed up definition of “wins”. The SUV driver broke the law to do damage to the car. To me, that’s exactly the same as if he’d just rammed the other car when he couldn’t get into the spot. Someone like that deserves to lose their drivfer’s license for long enough to find their temper.

Virg

Dani313 December 4, 2012 at 9:53 am

This was hilarious…and STUPID! I loathe driver who refuse to let someone else in to their lane. It also irritates me when people block me in when I am turning out of a driveway. Will it really kill you to allow someone to merge into traffic? And plus you never know who has a gun in their glove box. Especially in the city where I live!

egl December 4, 2012 at 9:56 am

Agreeing with everyone else. They were both wrong. I think the SUV was more wrong however.

The SUV should have slowed down and pulled in behind. The car shouldn’t have thought keeping their position was that important, and just let them in when they realised they were trying to force it. But once they merged, the SUV really needed to just get on with their day.

A bigger question is, why was someone filming this? They were filming long before anything happened.

admin December 4, 2012 at 11:54 am

Dash cams are inexpensive and becoming far more common.

Stacey Frith-Smith December 4, 2012 at 10:25 am

Maybe we need to add a mental health evaluation to the standard test drivers take to get their license.

Cat Whisperer December 4, 2012 at 10:45 am

Here in Southern California, our “car culture” seems to breed jerks the way garbage breeds flies. I’ve seen much, much, much worse incidents than this video shows.

When it comes to yielding right-of-way and generally staying out of the way of other people who believe that the traffic laws, never mind the rules of common courtesy, don’t apply to them, I decided a long time ago that it’s better to let the other guy “win” and just be safe. Give them all the room I can and let them get as far away from me as possible.

…And let it go, emotionally. If I let someone else’s rudeness and jerkish behavior get to me and make me unhappy, then I’m choosing to give them power over me and my happiness. Why on earth would I give a jerk that kind of power?

Elizabeth December 4, 2012 at 11:27 am

SUV is the jerk (along with aggressive, demanding, and unsafe). Silver car is just driving along being harassed and bullied. SUV then goes out of the way (literally) to create trouble. SUV demanded to be yielded to and didn’t get it so then took revenge. And this is the silver car’s fault how exactly?

M December 4, 2012 at 11:40 am

Both of these parties are equally responsible. Is anyone able to see if the SUV is using his blinker (although the two lanes merge into one)?

Jenn50 December 4, 2012 at 12:07 pm

To those questioning why someone was filming and worrying about the safety of doing so, my brother, and many others have dash cams that come on with the ignition and automatically film until the car is turned off. In many countries of the world, people have started using cameras to combat the scam where someone suddenly brakes intentionally in front of you to cause you to hit them and then sues you for damages and injuries. My brother also films because he often catches crazy and interesting behaviour on camera.

bansidhe December 4, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I would bet that this occurred in Russia, where loads and loads of people have dash cams because traffic-related insurance scams are out of control. That would explain why someone was filming.

Doesn’t explain the first-class jerk behavior of all parties involved, though I’ll admit I laughed.

Jenny December 4, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Amber, how do you know the driver was the one filming? From the angle it looked more like the passenger. It’s not nice to judge people when you don’t know what really went down.

Calli Arcale December 4, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Why was someone filming? There are lots of possibilities, but two come to mind immediately:

1) Some people use dash cams for liability purposes. If you’ve ever been involved in a hit-and-run, or been falsely accused of anything, then these can look a lot more sensible. Most devices have onboard video storage, and continually keep the last X hours of footage. If something interesting happens while you are out and about, you just dump the video footage to a USB stick or whatever upon reaching your destination, and review it at your leisure.

2) To make videos like this. I don’t believe this was staged (having seen behavior this egregious before myself), but I know of at least a few people who keep dashcams for the express purpose of finding humorous content for their website. This particular video is probably in this category, given the effort taken to add music and jolly captions.

In this video, the blue car is legally in the right, at least in my state; there is no obligation to allow people to merge, although it is customary and polite to do so. That’s what “merging traffic must yield” means. However, as others have noted, defensive driving means it is less important to be satisfied about one’s righteousness than everybody’s bodily integrity — yeah, you technically don’t *have* to let him in, but c’mon. Do it anyway. It’s not worth fighting over ten feet of road space. The SUV, however, is WAAAAAY more in the wrong. He fails to yield, conducts a hazardous passing on the right, then stops on the shoulder for the specific purpose of assaulting the blue car’s driver with water, then accelerates rapidly and recklessly down the shoulder to regain his precious position in traffic, a hazardous maneuver in its own right and generally illegal. Pity this wasn’t a squad car’s dashcam.

feesh December 4, 2012 at 1:18 pm

So instead of merging behind that car where the next car is leaving him room, he pulls a dangerous maneuver to get revenge on the first guy in an act that is way jerkier than not letting someone in…

It’s hard for me to tell who has the right of way here and whether either is signaling, but even if the “jerk” was in the wrong, the SUV overreacted hugely.

Cat December 4, 2012 at 1:21 pm

People have died over this sort of nonsense. If the car doesn’t want to let you in, pull in behind him. and go about your business.
Two questions for our “winner”- If filling his car with water had caused him to lose control of his car, causing him to have an accident in which he and innocent victims, perhaps children, were killed, would you rejoice at your victory over him? If he had decided not to let you “win”, and had pulled a gun and killed you, would your last thought be, “At least he is all wet because of me!”?
In a dispute over a parking space, I waved the other driver in, waited for her to take the space and then found another space for myself. My passenger asked me what I thought I was doing giving up “my space” to some stranger. I said, “I am being a Christian. It confuses the heck out of people because there are so few of us out here.”

Angel December 4, 2012 at 1:29 pm

And as a continuation of the video, the guy in the car pulls in front of the suv, blocks him in, comes out of his car and punches the driver in the face. That happened once to my grandfather, who made the mistake of rolling down his window lol !

Goodness December 4, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I think the one who drove through the puddle was the bigger azz-whole (jerk isn’t emphatic enough…) but I loved the music! Haven’t heard Perez Prado in years, so — Thanks!

And @SS : That happened to me one winter in Seattle. We get deluges of rain in the winter. I was waiting for the light at a cross walk, and a Pepsi truck deliberately swerved through a huge puddle to drench me. I went on to work, thinking I’d dry out once I got someplace warm, but I didn’t, and wound up with pneumonia. Wish I’d thought to get the trucks number, but I was just so shocked!

Rug Pilot December 4, 2012 at 2:19 pm

They shoot people in my neighborhood for driving like that.

Steve Daniels December 4, 2012 at 2:22 pm

The drivers are in Russia. They are crazy with the driving there.

Powers December 4, 2012 at 2:27 pm

It’s the silver car’s fault in so far as it’s safest (when driving) to give in to bullies.

Not at all satisfying, of course, but safest.

Snarkastic December 4, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Thanks, Admin, for pointing out the Dash Cam phenomenon. I knew I wasn’t the only one who has heard of this.

Clearly, everyone is in agreement that both drivers are jerks. SUV could have easily slowed down and pulled in behind the smaller car. However, what actually happened made for quite the entertaining video. I got a good midday chuckle.

Cat Whisperer December 4, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I have to comment about the open window/splash thing.

I quit driving with my windows open several years ago, when husband, daughter and I were stopped for the red light at the intersection of two very busy main streets with a lot of traffic. Husband was driving and had his window open.

Just as the light changed to green, the largest dang yellowjacket wasp I’ve ever seen flew in through the window and landed on the steering wheel.

Let’s just say that chaos ensued inside our car at that point, and that we did not get through the intersection on that cycle of the light, or the next one. And that there were probably a bunch of people nearby who thought that we’d all suddenly lost our minds. And that we did get the wasp out of the car. Finally.

I do not drive with car windows open now. Ever.

Virg December 4, 2012 at 3:25 pm

As to the questions about filming, mounting a recording device on your car is very popular in some countries where liability laws are sometimes strange and insurance scams are common. There are tons of videos of dashcams capturing people who jump out in front of slow moving cars to try to get an insurance payout, or of collisions where the dashcam is the only reason the police will get involved. So the idea that someone’s running a dashcam isn’t weird nor unusual.

Virg

Allison December 4, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Guilty of laughing when he splashed the guy, only coz its a very non-damaging way of getting back at someone in a car….BUT….the SUV was the jerk in this situation, both cars were jerks yes, but the SUV wasnt even indicating to get in the lane he needed to be in, if he had done that, Sedan might have dropped back, as it was the guy just expected to be able to slip in. I really hate that whole “i HAVE to be first” attitude on the roads, its like people think they are race car drivers when they get behind the wheel, its terrifying to witness, i saw a guy run a red light just this morning because he obviously couldnt stand to slow down.

Jared Bascomb December 4, 2012 at 8:08 pm

This is definitely not in the US – I can’t make out the license plates but they’re of a non-US format.

My vote for The Big Jerk is the SUV driver, based on US road rules and customs: traffic was merging in a zipper style and he was 3/4 of a car length behind the blue car; if he’d slowed down just a bit he could easily have merged in between the blue car and the car whose driver was filming. Instead, when the blue car’s driver held his [legal] ground, the SUV driver tried to push his way in front of the blue car. D-bag move. And he reinforces his d-baggery in the remainder of the video (including his passing other cars to get a place in the line).

Kimberly December 4, 2012 at 9:07 pm

They were both jerks – but the SUV more so because of the puddle thing
1. they potentially blinded the other driver
2. startled the other driver
3. potentially got their own brakes wet meaning they might not be able to stop in time.

As kids sis and I loved watching other cars spray water up on lightly flooded Houston streets – meaning it had rained and the city was trying to turn back into a swamp. (Especially Hilcroft and Fondren for some reason) We always tried to get Mom and Dad to do that neat trick. They said it was dangerous. We stopped begging them to do it after the car in front of us did it – and lost control because their breaks failed. They plowed into 2 cars in an intersection.

Amber December 4, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I’ve learned something new!

However, I believe that any commentary on my being “judgmental” of the situation was unfounded. Based on the info I knew (the angle of the video feels like it’s from the driver’s perspective), it seemed like the driver was filming, and I didn’t know dashcams were a “thing” beyond police vehicles.

JoW December 4, 2012 at 10:45 pm

How does the person doing the recording know that the sedan has its windows open?
Why can’t I read even one letter of any licence plate or sign in the video? Are they deliberately fuzzed-out?

Those two questions make me suspect the video is staged. If its real then all 3 drivers were jerks. If I were driving any of those 3 cars I would slow down to beak the jam and get all 3 cars in the same line.

Fizzychip December 4, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Lots of my friends have shard this clip with me recently and I thought I was aline in thinking that the SUV driver is also a jerk. The car with the camera is clearly leaving enough space and so either one of the drivers could easily have yielded. In West Australia where I live, we have a law applicable to merging which states that the car which is “ahead” of two cars at the beginning of the merge, should be yielded too. But just becasue that law is in place doesn’t stop this sort of behaviour here either! You’ll always seem to come come across the “bully” who seems to want to force the issue :-/

Also, I’ve looked at this clip several times, and I don’t see the SUV indicating TO merge – is that something not “done” as it is in Australia, to indicate intent to merge?

GleanerGirl December 5, 2012 at 3:51 am

I don’t know where this is, but those are definitely not American license plates. The laws of who has the right of way, and even signaling requirements may be different. However, defensive driving is still the same.

If the SUV wants in that badly, hang back a bit and let them in.