Confrontation Over A Saved Parking Space Altercation Goes Viral

by admin on January 7, 2013

From time to time, we have read parking space stories on E-hell. I believe the most recent was about a man that threatened a woman and her children as well as taking a swing at her and smashing her window, all because he felt she took a spot he was waiting for. I have one or two parking space incidents in my 39 years, but what happened in my town last week really speaks volumes about how aggressive some people can be. Some of you may have heard of this because it hit the national media and the young lady who was the victim was on one of national morning talk shows this week.

From the reports and newspapers, a teenaged female was standing in a parking space, saving it for her brother or a pregnant relative, depending on which account you read. (The newspapers say her brother, she said on the morning show a pregnant relative). Another customer of the store sees the space attempts to pull in. When she sees the girls standing there, the vehicle stops, then suddenly accelerates forward, striking the girl. The woman driving the vehicle was arrested and charged with reckless conduct.

I know that we will have varying opinions on the matter, so I just want to add my own. I don’t agree with the idea of people standing in a parking space to “save” it. It’s dangerous and a terrible idea, as proven by this story. Moreover, her brother or the pregnant relative (whoever she was “saving” the space for), asked/told her to “jump out and stand in that space for me”. I understand that most customers want to park as close to the store as possible, particularly during the holidays when their carts will be full of gifts and groceries and if you are pregnant, but it is so not worth getting hurt over. This girl was lucky she was not more seriously injured. I think the other customer should have just found another space but I think this shows just how aggressive people are over parking spaces.

Just to be clear, I do not think the victim deserved to be hit. I just don’t understand why anyone would put their teenaged relative in a dangerous position over a parking space. I have two teenage boys; my 19 year old is 6″5 and built like a linebacker but I would never ask him to stand in a parking space to save it for it for me. Most of the time, I try to park a little further back to avoid parking space drama. The exercise will not hurt me and I don’t have to deal with people who have parking space rage.

Update:

The lady who hit the teen with the car in this story was a member of the Bartow County School Board in Cartersville, GA. She resigned her position, effective today. The resignation was posted online. Below is a link to the resignation that was posted on Facebook.

When it went national on the morning news programs, she decided to resign. Another life in a mess due to agressive, over the top behavior.   01-3-13

Lilya January 7, 2013 at 3:48 am

To be honest, I am more horrified by the driver’s actions. Even if she just meant to scare the girl off, it was a horribly reckless gesture.

I think most drivers tend to forget just how dangerous cars are: it’s several tons of metal moving at speed, if mishandled it could very well kill someone, driver included.
I’m not saying cars are some sort of dormant bloodthirsty monsters a la Christine, but in the end they are machines: they are only as smart as the person using them.

Lo January 7, 2013 at 7:47 am

I’m against any kind of saving in store parking lots. I would not jump out and stand in a spot for anyone. Not because I fear being run down but because I think it’s incredibly stupid and rude to go and stand in a parking spot in a crowded lot to prevent anyone else from parking there.

And then there of course there are people like this crazy woman who would actually run a person down.

I deal with parking lot battles by immediately disengaging. I wont fight over a space ever. Doesn’t matter if I was in the right. Maybe I’m too passive but it’s not worth getting my blood pressure up over. Driving in a crowded parking lot is stressful enough without these little altercations. There are spots for those who are disabled or pregnant up front. Otherwise you can drop anyone off in front who might have trouble walking so far and then go park the car. Better to walk a little distance then to engage in this kind of nonsense.

Chris January 7, 2013 at 7:52 am

Huh. For once, admin, you and I are in complete agreement on a topic. To reiterate what you said: the victim DID NOT deserve to be hit. No one would have, no one ever will.

Beyond simply being dangerous, I additionally feel that that attempting to save a good parking space is rude beyond measure. The very nature of parking lots (at least parking lots for public locations such as a mall or Walmart) is that they are a first come, first serve situation. Attempting to save a spot sends the message that you feel entitled to it above and beyond everyone else.

admin January 7, 2013 at 9:46 am

The opinions expressed on this blog post are not mine but rather those of the person who submitted the story.

Susan January 7, 2013 at 8:44 am

Wow! So much wrong on both sides here.

What I don’t understand is why that space was so desirable. It looked like there were several spaces just as close. Both cars could have just parked and avoided this whole thing.

barb January 7, 2013 at 9:02 am

I could not tell what happened on the video.

GroceryGirl January 7, 2013 at 9:03 am

What I really can’t get over is how many spaces are available in that parkinglot! Why are people fighting for this space when I can see literally dozens of other spaces! It’s very odd that the girl would be asked to hold a space when they could have parked anywhere (and those other spaces aren’t even all that much further).

I also wonder if the woman really meant to hit the girl or if it was like when someone drives through the front of a store; as in she thought she was in reverse or something and went rocketing forward accidentally. I’m not really defending her, it just seems so weird that someone would hit a person with their car when they could park, like, four spots down.

barb January 7, 2013 at 9:04 am

BTW, I NEVER get in a confrontation over a parking space. If you win, guess what – you then have to LEAVE your car and go in the store, and the person you “beat out” is in a perfect position to key your car, let air out of tires, or whatever. SO not worth it.

Another Laura January 7, 2013 at 9:05 am

A school board member intentionally hit a teenager! Yeesh! It’s not even like they were “fighting” for the only parking space. There seemed to be several more within close proximity. Stupid for the girl to be there, monumentally stupid for school board lady to hit her.

GroceryGirl January 7, 2013 at 9:05 am

….on closer inspection there are three spaces in a row where the girl was standing!

Amber January 7, 2013 at 9:28 am

I have no sympathy for the woman who hit the teenaged girl. She gets whatever she dealt herself by actively attacking another person with her vehicle.

Nikki January 7, 2013 at 9:32 am

My mother always told me that you should never do in “private” what you don’t want made “public.” To live your whole life as if you’re being watched, because you never know when some deed or word might come to light.

It sounds as if the driver in this case could have used that advice.

Kirst January 7, 2013 at 9:43 am

I don’t think the relative put the girl in a dangerous position. There’s nothing intrinsically dangerous about standing in a parking space. The only person putting anybody at risk was the motorist who drove at her and into her.

Aria January 7, 2013 at 9:59 am

I did wonder if perhaps the woman hit the gas by mistake, but since she’d already slowed down that seems rather unlikely. I totally agree that ‘holding’ parking spots is a bad idea, but you NEVER hit someone with a car! Yeepers.

Calliope January 7, 2013 at 10:01 am

How stupid. On all counts. There are available spaces all over that parking lot. Why was it so important to either party to get that one spot in particular? Would it really have killed either one of them to walk an extra ten or twenty feet?

Magicdomino January 7, 2013 at 10:09 am

This reminds me a bit of people who cross roads without looking, assuming the cars will stop for them, on the grounds that if they are hit, it is the car’s fault. As I once told a friend, “I’m sure that will be of great comfort when you are in the hospital — assuming you wake up enough to appreciate it.” Getting hit by a car doesn’t have to be delibrate, either. All it takes is a moment of inattention — a cell phone call, a good song on the radio, mentally reviewing the shopping list — and the pedestrian gets hit before the driver’s brain can say, “Hey, that person is in the way.”

Library Diva January 7, 2013 at 10:26 am

Wow…one person sustained an injury, the other was arrested and forced to resign a position she had competed for and won and ostensibly meant something to her. That must have been some parking space!

I don’t know what it is, but parking at those enormous stores seems to bring out the worst in people, especially during the holidays. I agree with the OP: while this crazy woman shouldn’t have tried to hit the girl, the girl also should not have been standing there. I disagree with Kirst in that I do believe it’s sort of dangerous to stand in a parking space. Drivers aren’t generally expecting someone to be standing there, and if they’re distracted, they could easily hit the person accidentally. No one should be driving distracted either, but unfortunately that’s not reality and the more vulnerable party (the pedestrian) has to protect him or herself. No parking spot is worth it. None. If you score an awesome parking spot, you usually forget all about your tiny little victory by the time you’re home. But the consequences of this will be long-lasting for the woman who chose to run over a teenager.

Coralreef January 7, 2013 at 10:34 am

I have a hard time understanting what was so precious about this specific parking spot. There were other spots just on the other side of the “street”. Bad move on the part of the teen to stand in a place where any car can rush in, extremely bad move on the part of the driver to actually move to hit the teen. It is not a case of not seeing the girl standing there, since the driver stopped before deciding to go forward. This is a case of clashing entitlement if there ever was one and it ends up with everyone involved loosing.

Fighting over a parking space is not worth the time or effort to me. I will wait patiently for someone to leave their spot, but I won’t rush to get to an empty one.

Rap January 7, 2013 at 10:41 am

Kirst, I agree. Standing in a parking space is shouldn’t be considered high risk behavior. I don’t really care fore the concept of “saving” a parking spot but really – pedestrians have the right of way. Was the teenager “rude”? To save the spot at the behest of a relative, pregnant or not? I don’t know… and don’t really care. It’s a parking spot and its not an *accident* if someone intentionally rams you with their car to get you out of their way.

Huh January 7, 2013 at 10:57 am

It looks to me like the driver of the white car not only hit the person standing in the parking place, but then almost backs up into another car. And yeah, what was so great about THAT spot when there’s clearly a spot right across from it, and possibly one next to it! (That may be a cart corral, I can’t tell.)

Goldie January 7, 2013 at 10:58 am

What if the girl was just walking by that spot, and had stopped to tie her shoe or whatever? would the lady in the white van have hit her then as well? Wow. I’m kind of relieved this person doesn’t work for a school board anymore, though it’s awful that a teenager was injured in the process.

Lo – I, too, wondered why they didn’t drop the pregnant person first. Maybe the pregnant person was the only one in the car that could drive.

Princess Buttercup January 7, 2013 at 10:58 am

So much stupidity and rudeness in one spot.
1) Never save a spot, it’s just rude.
2) A little extra walking won’t kill you
3) Before you do something, consider how you’d feel if someone did that to your loved one.

Before watching the video I thought “well maybe the drivers foot slipped” but then when she didn’t bother to get out to check on the person it was clear this was not an accident.

I have bad knees that act worse in cold weather making a long walk in the cold very painful for me. I also have low heat tolerance and in the summer just walking across the parking lot can make me weak, light headed and potentially vomit. Yet I still wont circle round and round and fight over a close parking spot. I drive up, see the first closest parking spot and take it. Yes it’s often half way across the lot, yes there might be others but it’s a stupid waste to work hard in hopes of getting a few feet closer.
A couple years ago I was driving around my older brother who is severely over weight and he would complain the whole way to the store that I park too far away. The complaining was only met with “a little walking is good for you!” :)

Phoenix January 7, 2013 at 11:03 am

GroceryGirl: Regarding your question of whether or not the person in the car might have accidentally accelerated forward instead of backward (post #6), I have to say no. She had to turn the wheel to get into the space and potentially hit the person standing in it, and would have had no reason to turn the wheel if she was intending to back up and take another space. As far as I can tell from the video footage, entering the “reserved” parking space was the driver’s goal the entire time.

If I’m offering her the benefit on the doubt, I’d say that maybe she meant to enter it at a crawl; to make her intention to park in that space perfectly clear, but to do so at a speed that would allow the person standing in the space time to exit it. Definitely not the right thing to do, but then again, space saving isn’t the right thing to do either.

What really makes me see red about the whole situation is that in the linked article, the driver states that her daughter was with her. While they don’t give ages, that’s still a terrible thought: this is either a young girl who is seeing a parent act aggressively, and assuming through child-logic that such behavior is acceptable or potentially an older girl who has seen aggressive behaviors similar to this all her life and again, assumes they are an acceptable way to act.

If you have someone with you that has difficulty walking for whatever reason, then drop them off at front and then go park and walk up – you can pick them up in the same manner when you’re done. If you’re making a big purchase (lots of groceries and/or large item(s)), leave it up front with someone that’s with you and go get the car from the parking spot, or ask a store employee for assistance. Poor weather? Bring an umbrella/bundle up/stay home if it’s something that can wait.

There’s really no reason to save parking spaces, and anyone that wants to should relinquish the “saved” spot on request or else recognize that the only way they’re going to get to keep a spot that they want to “save” is to stake one out at the very back of the lot where no one parks anyways. And even then, they should relinquish upon request.

Stacey Frith-Smith January 7, 2013 at 11:40 am

I don’t understand the callous disregard for simple courtesy and safety shown by both parties. The teen “saving” the parking space placed herself in danger and the lady who hit her was criminally negligent. It doesn’t matter if the lot is completely full and you have to choose between continuing to circle or coming back to shop at another time- it really is not “your” spot unless you own the land it’s on and have clearly and legally narked it out. I don’t understand how Ms. School Board bonded out the same day. The severity of her offense isn’t lessened at all by the fact that the other party was able to walk away. She (apparently…and deliberately) assaulted a pedestrian with her vehicle. How in the name of all that’s sane is that not a crime worth denying bail for? I cannot see the benefit of having her continue to drive until she faces adjudication.

Calli Arcale January 7, 2013 at 11:59 am

Stacey — there are people who get out on bail for *murder*. The question generally isn’t the severity of the crime but the likelihood of fleeing justice.

When I was a kid, we used to tease the driver about jumping out and standing in a space for them if they were being too picky about parking spots. We never actually did it; the implication was always that this is what you do if you are impossibly picky and rude to boot, and was intended to spur the driver into just picking a dang spot and getting it done with. But WOW, this reaction is so far over the top. People do come to blows over parking spots, though, and this is exactly why it’s stupid to make an issue out of a parking spot. Never mind whether or not this means the crazy people win. As soon as it starts becoming some kind of stupid competition, I think all involved have already lost.

Ashley January 7, 2013 at 12:18 pm

There were plenty of other spaces in that lot. I couldn’t see where the woman was standing or any of this was going down, so I started counting spaces. There was even a space DIRECTLY ACROSS!!! from the space I think things were happening in. This whole thing is crazy. The woman shouldn’t have been in the spot and the woman driving shouldn’t have continued moving forward when she saw someone in the spot.

I can’t believe anyone would actually stand in a spot to try and hold it for someone.

lakey January 7, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Obviously the woman who deliberately hit a person with her car is not only wrong, but committed an assault. She should be arrested AND lose her driver’s license. I don’t want to share the streets with someone this out of control.

That being said, I don’t believe people have any right to save parking spaces. If the space is available right in front of you, take it. If you have to drive around to get to it, you have no more right to it than any other driver. I have a personal dislike of saving spaces, whether parking or seat saving. The last thing we need in a society where people are already emotionally stretched, is the idea that “no one matters but me”.

ImJustSaying January 7, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I work at a mall. During the holidays I try my best to get to work at least a half hour before my shift so I can find an aisle and sit until I see someone head towards their car. I put on the appropriate blinker and pull forward or reverse backward to the car in question. I can’t tell you how many times someone will speed forward and try to block me before I can get to the spot. Only if I’m in a better position to get the spot without a lot of back and forth adjustment do I stand my ground. And by stand my ground I simply ignore the intruding driver and wait for the parked driver to move hopefully in a favorable direction for me to swing in the spot. (I.e. they block the other driver with their natural backing out system.) If there is any possibility for confusion I give it up. 1. I (hopefully) still have time to wait out another spot. 2. I always have to remember that this might be a customer and if they come in my store and see the girl they believe “stole their” parking spot it probably won’t bode well for sales. PEOPLE IN PARKING LOTS ARE CRAZY!
One bright spot in the holiday season:
A woman in a big truck saw a car on her passenger side preparing to back out. She realized I could get the spot once she moved out of my way. She was either leaving the mall or she just wasn’t in a position to get the spot herself (she was turning the opposite direction in the lot) She waved and pointed enthusiastically at me to convey this message. I smiled and mouthed my thanks as she drove out of the way. I speed up a little as I see the parked car now backing out of the spot put my blinker on and wait. (Enter dark spot of the holidays) I am about to turn into the spot when a woman speeds forward and takes the spot. The kicker she sees me with my blinker on realizes she is possibly taking a spot from me and SMIRKS.
* I am fully aware that I have no actual claim on the spot in question, but I did have my blinker on and was waiting for the other car to safely clear the area at the time.*
The second driver was visibly surprised to see me waiting and then smirked as if to say “too bad so sad! Na na na Na Na.
This (momentary) feeling of rage I had towards this woman made me realize just how crazy you can get over something as trivial as a parking spot.
So to reiterate what I’ve learned from working in a mall for 2 years
PEOPLE IN PARKING LOTS ARE CRAZY! Solution: try to counteract the crazy with common sense.

Tyler January 7, 2013 at 12:57 pm

For the life of me, I will never understand why some people are so reluctant to walk a few extra feet and would rather drive in circles through a parking lot or become involved in a confrontation over a parking space. I attended a university for six years and now work at a university, and I’m sure other people with my experiences can assure you that “nearby” parking is a luxury seldom afforded. At most colleges, parking is nowhere near adjacent to one’s office or classroom, so over time, I just became accustomed to having to walk great distances to reach my destination. And you know what? It never killed me. Not once. So now, having to walk from the end of a store parking lot to the actual store seems like such a minimal effort when put into perspective.
If one is physically incapacitated in some way, that’s an entirely different matter. However, able-bodied individuals shouldn’t act so irrational when it comes to an issue as insignificant as parking.
As far as this particular incident is concerned, while the young woman certainly did not deserve to be hit, I cannot excuse her for standing in an open parking space. Parking lots can be very dangerous areas. Vehicles are constantly moving in and out of spaces and around the lot, and one should exercise extreme caution while on foot in a parking lot.

Leah January 7, 2013 at 1:09 pm

After watching the video again, it’s clear there are two I obstructed spaces side by side. No cart corral as suggested by the defendant in the article. If you listen closely you can hear a man speaking softly. He says there are two spaces, then adds Bam! when the teen is hit.
Perhaps this is the cynical side of me, but this kind of severe entitlement is rampant at Walmarts. It’s upsetting the girl was hurt, but I’m willing to bet someone in that family had the thought of suing for damages/disability. The SUV was a Lexus and the woman was on the school board. She was probably thinking that she was doing Walmart a favor by shopping there and that she’s all powerful in her high ranking position. People like this are why I don’t shop at Walmart. Their behavior is disgusting.

Angela January 7, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Take-home message: If you do something reckless because you’re having a bad day, you can turn into a really, really bad day. And add me to the list of people who can’t figure out why neither car involved was so desperate for that space.

Cat January 7, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Teenagers do many things they would not dream of doing as adults. Bodies mature much faster than common sense so we who are older have to watch out for them and demonstrate proper behavior so they can learn how an adult handles things.
I was an adult ed. counselor and a man in his early twenties was sent to me because he had been very rude to the teacher in a high school class. He was the oldest student in the class and needed only the one credit for his diploma. However, since he was “grown”, he thought he could behave in any way he wished.
I pointed out that, as the oldest student, the younger ones looked up to him as a role model; and I wondered what he had taught the class about adult behavior to another adult in his words to the teacher. He went up and apologized in front of the class to the teacher, and then told the students that he had behaved as a child and not as the adult he was.
If a parking space is so important to you that you would use your car as a weapon against someone, you should give up driving and take a taxi.

Daisy January 7, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Never mind the H1N1 flu – the real danger these days is the astonishing wave of stupidity sweeping the country. Stupid to stand in a parking place; monumentally, incredibly stupid to try and bully someone using a 5000 pound vehicle. Personally, I always park as far from the door as I can get. I need the exercise, and someone less able than I may need a closer space.

Cady January 7, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Standing in a parking space to “save” it is rude, but not criminal. Mowing someone down with a car is both rude and criminal, no matter how justified the driver feels.

padua January 7, 2013 at 1:43 pm

it seems as if the ‘get out and save a spot’ move is on the rise. when i went to the movie theater last week there were no less than five people standing in varying spots around the parking lot. it felt dangerous, to say the least- every time i was about to pull into what i thought was an extra spot, someone would pop out.

Allie January 7, 2013 at 1:46 pm

It astounds me that people will fight over a parking space like pidgeons fighting over a breadcrumb and these same people will pay for a gym membership so they can go and walk on a treadmill. I always choose the furthest possible parking space. The walk does me good; if I want to buy heavy things, I can use a cart; and I don’t have to deal with parking space drama. Win-win-win.

HANNAHERE January 7, 2013 at 2:44 pm

There is nothing no more dangerous of standing in a parking space, than there is walking in the parking lot, or crossing the parking lot, or stepping off the curb at the store and proceeding to your car.

If I am getting out of a car and I have to get my child out of the back, I open the door, and usually take up most of the next parking space getting him out as well as the stroller–that shouldn’t be dangerous! People drive slowly and be looking extensively for pedestrians.

I was almost hit, along with my 4 year old and the checker taking out my groceries just yesterday in a lot. I waas crossing a handicapped parking spot–I should not have done that, but the handicapped person driving the car who wanted the spot just dove for me, even though I, and my child were plainly in sight. There were 3 of us in the lane, and the handicapped person didn’t care!

OP/Audra January 7, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Hi All! I am the OP for this post. The driver of the white SUV, Angela Cornett, definitely has entitlement and other issues. This is just the latest in a long line of bad decisions she had made. She, along with a few other school board members, have made some *very* questionable decisions and the last few school board meetings have been complete chaos. A committee of parents have petitoned SACS to review some these decisions. She even called an elementary school teacher, during school hours, to question her about some rumors she heard. She tries to use the school system lawyer and superintendant to cover her mistakes, because they are “friends” and socialize regularly outside of the office. There are many, many other examples of questionable behavior but I will try to stay on the topic of this partiuclar post.

As I said in the original post, I don’t like the idea of “saving” spaces but I don’t think the victim deserved to be hit with a car. As many of you have mentioned, there were other spaces available, including one directly across from this one. Mrs. Cornett’s teenage daughter was in the car with her, so she saw her mother act recklessly. I can only hope that she sees the consequences of these actions and chooses not to act as her mother has.

Many individual parents and the aforementioned parent committee has been calling for Mrs. Cornett to resign her position on the school board for months before this incident. Her entitlement, selfishness and utter lack of concern for others make her unfit to serve on the school board. The young lady she hit is a senior at one of the area high schools- one of the students she is supposed to be advocating and making decisions for. Instead, she is mowing her down for a parking space! Remove the fact that she is (was) a school board member and it is still boggles the mind. Just find another space!

wyntershere January 7, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Nah, I’m not buying it. It doesn’t sound like the girl was struck at all–she refused treatment, went into the walmart and did her shopping and the video is inconclusive. Dumb all around on all accounts, but I don’t believe it happened as the girl says it did.

WildIrishRose January 7, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I don’t usually worry about where I park, except at night and/or in dicey neighborhoods and/or at malls. Then I like to be as close to the building as I can get, just for my own safety. I recently finished up cancer treatments, and during the period that I was receiving treatments, I preferred to park close to businesses because I was so tired and weak. Otherwise, parking farther out never bothered me. I agree that saving a parking space is rude, but it’s also apparently unwise. However, in this case the driver was waaaaaaaaaaaay more at fault than the girl standing in the spot. What did she hope to accomplish by doing that?

Amanda H. January 7, 2013 at 4:41 pm

@Lo: “There are spots for those who are disabled or pregnant up front.”

Disabled, yes. Pregnant not so much. I’ve never seen parking for pregnant women at Walmart, and even at the stores that do have it, it’s not protected parking. It relies on the courtesy of other customers, so odds of the space being free during a busy season are slim.

That said, the driver could drop off the pregnant person first, then go find a parking space. Or the pregnant woman can park further down and walk. If you’re in a situation where walking all the way across the parking lot is bad, then you shouldn’t be out shopping without someone else to help either. You can’t be guaranteed one of the motorized carts, after all.

Regarding the video and attendant article, I have to wonder how much of her own story the driver believes, given how much of it fails to match the video evidence. After all, she claimed the pedestrian leaned against the car deliberately to cause problems. That’s not what the video shows.

Marozia January 7, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Refusing treatment is not a good idea. Both of these women were in the wrong, not just one.
Never get out to save spaces, you could get seriously hurt, not just by a careless driver, but an extremely angry one.

vanessaga81 January 7, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I don’t agree that the girl needed to be hit either but a parking space is for a car, not a person and I don’t think she should have been saving it. Additionally, I drive a luxury car and am on the school board but I shop at Walmart all the time-sure hope people don’t assume I’m entitled based on those criteria when I’m roaming the aisles.

Kris January 7, 2013 at 7:05 pm

@Magicdomino – You’ve pretty much described 99% of the pedestrian traffic in Portland maine. Up here we have a general yield to pedestrians law IF they are in the crosswalk. Of course that 99% abuse the HECK out of it. I’m originally from Las vegas and vegas traffic being what it is, you grow up knowing if you throw your behind out there, you run the very high risk of getting hit. I cannot tell you the number of times over the last 6 years that I have seen people walk against the light with full bore traffic coming. Its a miracle I have yet to witness an accident – whether it be someone getting hit or car only because the driver tried to avoid hitting the fool in the road.

As to the vid – why would she have to hold the space? Assuming there was no traffic in the way whomever was driving should have just backed up and taken the spot.

TimeLady January 7, 2013 at 7:33 pm

This is mind-boggling, it really is. I’ll admit that I get bouts of rage against the entitled people (of all ages, mind you, not just youths, though I’ve seen them too) parking in the parent-and-child sections of my local supermarket, denying me the ability to retrieve my wriggly 2-year-old-son out of the back of the car without potentially damaging anyone *else’s* vehicle. He’s energetic and eager-to-be-off, I’m unable to move properly thanks to lower-back and hip problems that aren’t *quite* severe enough to warrant getting the “blue badge” to park me in the disabled bays, which I’m fine with. What I’m not fine with is people who think they have every right to park IN THAT THAR SPACE, regardless of whether they (a) are a parent-with-a-child-IN-THE-CAR-AT-THAT-MOMENT-IN-TIME, or (b) like the woman in this story are entitled to THAT THAR SPACE regardless of the person standing there. Like I said, I get mad, but what can I do? Yelling at the people won’t make any difference, and I certainly wouldn’t employ any bullish tactics a’la lady-in-the-SUV. I agree wholeheartedly with ImJustSaying – people in car parks are insane! Actually, I think that a frightening number of people in the driving seats of hulking metal contraptions with wheels are inane. Scary.

GardenGoblin January 7, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I wouldn’t ask someone to stand in the space (or stand in the space myself) because even if there aren’t malicious folks around, there are plenty of folks like my uncle. He recently wrecked a shopping cart because he only paid attention enough to note there was no vehicle in the space he pulled into. He initiated the turn, reached for his phone, and smashed the cart. Had it been a person, he’d have smashed them. Not malicious, just stupid and not paying attention, both of which are sadly all too common.

Barbarian January 7, 2013 at 10:06 pm

It never bothers me to lose a parking space. I’ll just look for another one. Waiting in long lines of traffice on the highway does bug me, but it’s no reason to go postal. My favorite experience waiting in a long lien of traffic was sitting behind a car with a vanity plate “ZOMBIES”–I was getting pretty zombified by the time the line moved and I could finally make my right turn.

My late mother’s parking lot behavior truly irked me-she always demanded that I take the space closest to the store because it was too cold or her back hurt too much for her to walk far. However, she would make me slow down from the space to the door of the store so she could enjoy her cigarette before entering the store. No matter who else was freezing while we had to wait for her to finish smoking.

Angel January 7, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I have never seen someone actually standing in a spot to save it. Weird. That being said, I would never get into a confrontation over a parking spot–unless it was literally the LAST PARKING SPOT LEFT in the lot. Which it rarely ever is. I will circle around and find another less coveted spot. I have found that the farther away you park, the less likely it is that your car will get all dented up in the parking lot.

IMO that woman who collided with the girl saving the spot, didn’t get a harsh enough punishment. She was mere inches away from tragedy. The girl saving the spot was rude, but the woman who hit her with her car was downright reckless and irresponsible. She should have lost her license for at least a year and gotten jail time.

Leighanna January 7, 2013 at 11:22 pm

While I think that the whole situation is very serious, I would like to share my amusing parking experience.

I drove my ninety year old mother-in-law to Sam’s Club so she could pick up some groceries and several prescriptions. The parking lot was busy and she insisted that we had to park in handicap using her handicap placard. Now you must understand that I am a “park as far away as possible to avoid any kind of dings from cars or carts” kind of person and was willing to drop her off at the door. She wanted none of that. We circled the busy lot several times until a handicap space became available. As we were waiting for the spot an SUV was able to pull into position to take the handicap spot before me.

My MIL hopped out of the car with the energy of a toddler and, with cane in hand, hobbled to stand in the spot. Once there she told me, with the wave of her hand, to pull in. Being the dutiful DIL that I am and afraid to disobey, I obediently pulled into the spot. Before I could blink an elderly gentleman (approx. the same age as MIL) got out of the SUV and started yelling at me for taking his space. MIL would have none of that and yelled back at him while waving her cane. Now I had two elderly people yelling at each other while leaning on their canes to keep from falling over. I quietly sat in my car and let them scream at each other until they were out of wind. The gentleman walked back to his SUV, I think driven by his daughter who was as shocked as me, and my MIL demanded that I escort her into Sam’s. I told her that I was concerned about my car and moved it to the far end of the lot. As we munched on our Sam’s hot dogs before shopping my MIL told me that she wished she had taken him out with her cane. If I only have her energy when I am ninety……

LadyR January 8, 2013 at 3:50 am

Reading further story’s apparntly she was saving the spot for her brother’s girlfriend who had just had the baby. As for why that particularq spot, its next to th cart dock and easiest for transporting baby as you can put the bucket seat right in the stroller and then return it easily when you’re done without having to leave the bab in the car. Not worth this much fuss over though.

Lythande January 8, 2013 at 4:36 am

“Acting recklessly” seems like a minor charge. What happened to “assault with a deadly weapon”? Intentionally hitting someone with a car for whatever reason* should be a felony.

*Excepting defense of yourself or another, I suppose.