Potty Peeping Twins

by admin on February 12, 2013

This is a story that happened to me on a recent family trip.

We had stopped at a rest stop at some point on the drive down and I went to the ladies room. I noticed an older woman with young twins, about 4 years old.  I didn’t think much of it and entered the stall and went about my business.

Suddenly I have one of the children in my stall laughing!  “Granny, this lady is a grown up who wears a diaper! Hehehehe, only babies wear diapers!” She had crawled under the door! I covered myself best I could and asked her kindly to please leave my stall and hoped that would be the end of it.

Nope. The grandmother continued to let them crawl all over the dirty floor, in and out of my stall, and laugh at my “diaper” (maxi pad, but who am I to give the talk?)

I finally came out of the stall, annoyed, and the grandmother proceeds to berate me for exposing her poor innocent granddaughters to my private parts! Umm excuse me?

I could not get out of there fast enough!   0202-13

Bint February 12, 2013 at 3:08 am

This is just shocking on so many levels! I hardly know where to start – the intrusion, the lack of discipline, her daring to be angry with you (!!!!!) and the filth she’s exposing those children to…oh, dear God. I think this woman is horrible, but I also think she has to be staggeringly thick.

Kudos for not doing what I would have done, which would have been to explode at her. I’d like to pretend I could have kept cool like you did, but once she told me off, I know I would have lost it. I’m impressed.

Jess February 12, 2013 at 4:39 am

The GRANDMOTHER exposed the girls to this and is also teaching them it is acceptable to be nosey and not to respect other people’s privacy.. poor poor children. I would have told the girls off myself, you had every right to in that situation! AND I would have told the grandmother to worry more about being exposed to dirty bathroom floors than a woman’s body.

Rebecca February 12, 2013 at 4:47 am

I’m speechless.

Raymee February 12, 2013 at 5:38 am

Oh wow. Complete and utter invasion of privacy. Unbelievable.

I think I’d be speechless too! Though I’d have liked to say-
“Would it be okay if I crawled under the stall to watch your grandchildren use the bathroom?”

If they are children- control them. If they are animals- put them on a leach.

Sara February 12, 2013 at 5:48 am

Oh, wow. That’s awful–I had an experience that’s not as bad as yours, but I went shopping a couple of years ago, and in the women’s dressing room, a woman came into the room next to mine with her two young sons. The older son, who I’m guessing was at least seven, GOT DOWN ON THE FLOOR AND STUCK HIS HEAD INTO MY DRESSING ROOM. (This was the type where the rooms were separated by a partial wall that’s open at the top and the bottom.) The mom, however, was apologetic and told him to stop.
However, am I wrong in thinking than seven years old is TOO old for a boy to be brought into a women’s dressing room or restroom? A toddler, I could understand and would have no problem with, but this seemed a little over the top.

Lychii February 12, 2013 at 7:49 am

Wow, the audacity of this grandmother! You should have demanded she controlled these children, right away.

Wendy Geoghan February 12, 2013 at 7:54 am

What is wrong with people? I had almost the same thing happen to me last weekend. I was using the ladies room at a local restaurant when a little girl gets on the floor and starts talking to me under the stall door! “Hi! Who are you?” etc. It was very disturbing, I mean I’m trying to concentrate here.
I suggested she get off the floor because it is dirty and she said “Do you work here? You can’t tell me what to do.”
She was about 4 or 5 years old and not a parent in sight.

Lo February 12, 2013 at 8:02 am

I would have had a few choice words for that woman, I tell you what.

Honestly, the four year old may have been poorly trained but as an adult I would have raised my voice immediately and demanded, not asked, that she get out of the stall. Better they get a scolding from “the mean lady” in the stall so they’ll think twice about doing that to anyone ever again. I suppose Granny might have complained about that too but anything to stop a kid from crawling on a filthy floor and interrupting people going to the bathroom. Who allows a child to do that??

The Elf February 12, 2013 at 8:10 am

Ugh, I hate stuff like this. You can’t really blame the kids. They’re too young to really know better. The Grandmother, on the other hand……. It would be one thing if the kid just poked her head under the partition. Grandmother probably couldn’t stop that one; it would just be so quick. But she really should have reined in the kids to keep them from actually going in stalls.

But the icing on the rude cake is the Grandmother’s comment. If you didn’t want your grandkids exposed to “private parts”, you shouldn’t have let them crawl into another stall. What are you supposed to do, pee with your pants on?

ShellyLynne2611 February 12, 2013 at 8:15 am

I hate to say it, but I would not have said anything “kindly” in this situation. I’m not proud of it, but I probably would have been cussing out that kid. Not to mention the grandmother! That is one of the most despicable things I’ve ever heard.

Erin February 12, 2013 at 8:44 am

Wow. That’s just…wow. A 4-year-old is definitely old enough to have been taught not to even peek into an occupied bathroom stall, much less squirm in there, and there’s no excuse for their grandmother allowing that behavior.

Amber February 12, 2013 at 8:52 am

EWEWEWEWewewewewewewewewewwwwwww…

another Laura February 12, 2013 at 8:54 am

I think you could have responded with “my private parts were in my private stall. Shame on you for allowing you grandchildren to invade my privacy!”

WildIrishRose February 12, 2013 at 9:05 am

Wow, Grandma. If I found out that my mother or MIL had let my kids do that, SHE’D be the one getting the spanking! I’m afraid I would have been rather rude to her upon leaving the stall. What is WRONG with people???

Coralreef February 12, 2013 at 9:08 am

There are days I wish we could use spray bottles with water (like you use for pets) to deter bad behaviour.

Myself, I would have thrown a screaming fit at the kids. Abject terror can be a great teaching aid for the more egregious cases. I know retaliatory rudeness is severely frowned upon, but at one point, enough is enough!

If caregives can’t teach manners, society will, and it may be very painful for the rude, clueless and obnoxious.

Susan February 12, 2013 at 9:11 am

YIKES!!! I don’t think I would have been so kind in telling the child to leave, I would have just said in a firm, but not yelling voice “get out!” and if the grandmother had anything to say to me, I would have looked at her like she had two heads and just said, “Really?” and left it at that.

Anonymous February 12, 2013 at 9:37 am

Has anyone else here seen the kids’ TV show “Arthur?” Those kids remind me of the “terrible Tibble twins” who always misbehave, and run around and cause havoc. Anyway, since finding another bathroom probably wasn’t an option, I hope you got out of there as fast as you could, and told SOMEONE in charge about the situation. Even if that grandmother isn’t willing to tell the kids that peeping tom behaviour in public bathrooms isn’t okay, I’m sure that someone who works at the restaurant/gas station/whatever would be.

Mae February 12, 2013 at 9:45 am

Oh, my. There are many things I could say but I will restrain myself to three points:
1. The grandmother has no manners, dignity or class. She should have immediately done *something* to remove the child from your stall and immediately disciplined them.
2. She let the children crawl on a public restroom floor? Even if that floor is mopped with bleach daily, it is still completely gross and unsanitary.
3. This woman has the gall to berate you?For exposing her precious grandchildren to private parts? Um, excuse me, but her grandchildren (and her) are reponsible for the children being “exposed” to anything because she was letting them run amok and not doing anything to correct the behavior!! It wasn’t like you dropped your pants and squatted in the middle of the restroom floor! I am sorry, but this is one of those times my manners would have failed me and I would have given her just as good as I got.

OP- I commend you for having the manners and class not to say anything and just leave the restroom. I am so sorry you had to be intruded upon when you were just trying to use the restroom.

EVERYONE deserves to be able to use the restroom facilities without the horrible intrusion of children, no matter what age, crawling under the stall and making rude comments.

sv February 12, 2013 at 10:18 am

WHAAATT!!! You’ve got to be kidding! I have no idea how I would have handled that – probably a lot less politely than you did!!

Library Diva February 12, 2013 at 10:20 am

What on earth is wrong with people?

Goldie February 12, 2013 at 10:37 am

When my kids were young, my parents watched them a lot, took them to parks, beach, and other public places where they had to use public restrooms. I cannot even imagine the reaction they would’ve had if any of the kids’ pinky finger as much as touched the floor in a public restroom, let alone if the kids somehow managed to crawl into a stranger’s stall and comment on said stranger’s private parts! (Though I cannot imagine the last one happening on my parents’ watch.) The granny in OP’s story needs to come clean and tell the girls’ parents that she cannot control, or keep an eye on, the children, and so is not to be trusted alone with the children. And she needs to do it soon, before something bad happens to these children while they’re under her, um, supervision. I have never seen such neglect. That grandma also had the nerve to berate the OP, just blows my mind. I’d get out of there fast too, grandma doesn’t sound too logical to me!

technobabble February 12, 2013 at 10:41 am

How would you even justify that to yourself. “You were doing what everybody does in a space specifically designed for those bodily functions behind a closed, locked door. How dare you!”

Lerah99 February 12, 2013 at 10:43 am

That is just creepy and embarrassing. The grandmother was obviously neglecting her duties while watching the children and then trying to shift the blame to you. I’m so sorry you had to experience that.

Vicky February 12, 2013 at 10:44 am

I am speechless. Unbelievable – I don’t know what to say or where to begin. There is the ick factor of allowing any child to crawl on the floor of a public bathroom. And these children are not being taught boundries or manners. But of course, what can we expect when the grandmother acts so ill-mannered herself by berating the OP. I pity these kids as they grow. If they are not being taught manners and boundries as they grow, what are they going to be like when they are teenagers.

Ergala February 12, 2013 at 11:28 am

Oh my goodness. See in that case when it happened a SECOND time I’d start screaming that someone was spying on me. You better believe I’d make a scene. I have two kids, my youngest is 3 and we have taught our kids that when in a public bathroom you do not comment on bodily noises you hear and you absolutely do NOT peer under doors/stall walls.

Kovi February 12, 2013 at 11:35 am

WOW. Simply, wow. I can’t believe the gall of that woman, first off to not properly watch over her charges, but then to berate you for something that was her fault, anyway.

I’ve gotten a shy, very young child peeking under my stall before, but then the mother always pulls them away and apologizes. Children that young are often curious, and don’t always understand (although most seem to, which is good). But I cannot believe that a grandmother would continuously let them treat strangers like that, not to mention, possibly endanger their own health (crawling around on dirty bathroom floors shouldn’t exactly be encouraged). This is just hard to believe. I can only imagine how invaded you felt.

Helen February 12, 2013 at 11:36 am

Wow. That’s the single craziest thing I’ve ever heard. Who does that?

Dear! February 12, 2013 at 11:36 am

WHAT!?! I would have been mortified, and honestly might have snapped at that lady. Im only 25, but find the complete and utter decline in social compentency and common sense to be baffling! Thankfully, that has never happened to me. (knock on wood)

I will admit that kids can be unpredictable, but the fact that she didnt stop them, allowed them to run off in the first place, didnt chastise them, didnt apologize and then told you off! is beyond me.

My nephews, I will admit have left me mortified on MANY occasions. When they were much younger, I would have to take them to the ladies bathroom since they could not use the men’s restroom alone, and on one occasion there was a woman using the restroom and there was….an unpleasant smell. My nephew, who was 3 or 4, at the time, LOUDLY says “Aunty, in here smells so bad!!” Needless to say I clamped my hand over his mouth and ran out of there. I told him that what he did was not nice, but I will admit I laughed when he was out of sight. At least I was able to avoid seeing that poor lady face to face. I would have know true shame.

Kids have to learn social graces, and we must teach them. People like this are contributing to more and more generations of social idiots.

hakayama February 12, 2013 at 11:49 am

This is beyond poor etiquette, and there is no arguing with that type of individual.
The grandma fits the category of terribly deranged older women that should not be left alone with their grandchildren. Both, the minors as well as the general public need to be protected from the sick grownups. There are some websites dedicated to “mean girls that never grow up”, the havoc they wreak on their own blood relatives and the poor souls that married into the family and beyond…

Ashley February 12, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Ugh I can’t even imagine letting children crawl all over a public bathroom floor. I would have stopped them the second that started and not even let them get even close to going into a stall. And I can’t believe their grandmother’s attitude about the matter. OP was in a closed stall and the kids were crawling UNDER it. Maybe if she kept them in line, they wouldn’t have “been exposed” to anyone’s private parts.

lakey February 12, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I sympathize with you if you didn’t correct the grandmother’s not supervising her grandchildren. However, the more I see of people behaving this rudely, the more I realize that we need to do our part and diplomatically correct them. I have always had this tendency to avoid rocking the boat, but as I got older I’ve realized that when people behave badly and we say nothing, we are actually encouraging them to behave badly.

I’ve noticed that their are parents and grandparents who believe that correcting children is mean. Mean is risking a child’s health by letting her/him crawl around on a filthy public restroom floor. Yuch.

lakey February 12, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Oops, their=there

Harley Granny February 12, 2013 at 12:08 pm

There are no words……

I probably would have just gave granny the stink eye and walked out also.

About 10 miles down the road I would have had a good come back.

Jenn50 February 12, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I had a similar experience in the female change room at the pool I frequent. This facility is set up with communal showers, and several benches near the lockers, as well as a couple of cubicles if people are particularly modest. These cubicles are used almost exclusively by pre-teen girls, as everyone else just changes at the benches. I leave my towel wrapped around myself as much as possible while I’m changing, but nudity is normal, expected, and accepted. One day, I was changing, and a woman with a little boy of about 5 was changing a few feet away. This facility has no family change rooms, so opposite sex children under the age of 7 are permitted. At 7 years of age, the kids are expected to use a gender appropriate change room. This little boy stared openly at me the entire time I was changing. Lots of kids do this, and it’s annoying, but usually, the parent gently corrects them and they stop. This lady did not. She told me off for exposing myself in front of her little boy. I reminded her that this was a LADIES’ change room, and that naked females were to be expected. That’s the whole point of the change room. She huffed and left, and when I left the change room, she was raving to the incredulous staff about me changing in front of her little boy “even though she KNEW he was watching her to whole time!” The staff informed her that I was using the change room as it was intended, and that she was incredibly rude to allow her son to stare at someone changing. They refunded the money left on her pass and told her she wasn’t welcome to return.

I’m so sorry you had to go through some ill-mannered and under-supervised children invading your privacy and mocking you like that. It seems unbelievable that anyone could allow a child in their care to behave like that, and THEN have the nerve to blame the victim, but I know it happens. I’m not sure there’s much point in arguing with someone so ridiculous, but I’m not sure I could have helped giving her a piece of my mind about the violation her young charges had imposed on me.

Justine February 12, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I probably would have started screaming. “Get out of my stall” or “quit staring at my private parts” just to startle the child and let her know what she was doing was not acceptable.

Jenn February 12, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Oh my. Seems grandma’s reality cheque has certainly bounced.

LadyPhoenix February 12, 2013 at 12:58 pm

The old lady is lucky that you didn’t just report her and the brats to the store owner, cause I’m pretty sure you COULD do that since that is an invasion of privacy.

LC February 12, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Manners don’t require you to remain silent when your privacy is being violated. If the Grandmother didn’t act to restrain her grandchildren, I would have had no problem sternly ordering the the child/ren to leave my stall and not come near it again.

StephM February 12, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I’m so glad this didn’t happen to me, because if I saw a face in my stall my immediate reaction would probably be to kick, long before I realized that it was a child. My secondary reaction would have been to shout, and I don’t think it would be anything nice.

I hope that I would be able to tell Granny that she needs to wrangle her grandkids in a nice way, but I think I would be so shocked and disgusted my mind would go blank.

Keller February 12, 2013 at 1:11 pm

That’s really awful. I don’t know if I would have been able to remain silent once the grandmother started scolding. Sorry that happened to you.

Morty'sCleaningLady February 12, 2013 at 1:40 pm

What horrible manners that Grandmother had! And those children — a public rest room floor? Egads!!!!

Siren February 12, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Are you kidding me ?? The woman actually said something to YOU after her grandkids crawled under your stall door ???? Just when I think I’ve heard everything, something always tops it. Unreal. Absolutely the most gall I’ve ever ever heard of, ever. How did you manage to not SHRIEK at this idiot berating YOU for “exposing her precious snowflake grandchild to your private parts ” ?????

just4kicks February 12, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Wow! Just….Wow. As a forty something woman with bladder issues, I feel your pain and embarrassment. I’m SO sorry that happened to you. While the children were being intrusive and very rude, I cannot believe the older woman had the audacity to yell at YOU! If my children ( who are by no means perfect, but certainly know better) had pulled a stunt like that, I would be in tears apologizing for them hurting your feelings. Then the kids would have sincerely apologized as well. What is this world coming to?!?

KA February 12, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Wow. I wouldn’t have been able to be silent with someone “berating” me. I’m not sure how polite I could have been, either.

“You do know the stalls and doors are there for privacy, right? Teaching these girls to respect the privacy of others might be a start. It’s a public restroom, not a playground.”

Telling people how to parent is rude, but again, I’m not sure I could hold my tongue when being blamed for someone’s poor control of a pair of rugrats.

Angel February 12, 2013 at 2:04 pm

You are a nicer person than I am. I would have told the grandmother off!

LadyLelan February 12, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I’m afraid this is the perfect example of a moment when some polite spine might have come in very, verrrry handy, OP…

Something like “I am sorry, young lady, but could you PLEASE stop looking under my cubicle door?”
(maybe a bit blunt, but the adult necessarily accompanying these little girls ought to have got the hint… I hope…).

Onlyme February 12, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Wow, rude of grandma and children. And what a horrible spot to be put on. I know not to engage the crazy, but I don’t know that I’d have the will power not to say anything like you did.

Kris February 12, 2013 at 2:19 pm

First of eww, who lets children in their care crawl on a bathroom floor and thinks its ok? I don’t care how clean the floor looks, its disgusting. Not to mention the fact she allowed both to crawl under stall doors that are clearly in use? A man would catch 7 kinds of hell for letting that happen but its supposed to be ok for Grandma to do this? I have a feeling, not that it excuses the situation, that granny is the type to allow her grandchildren to do anything and everything they want. This is the last person I would want to leave my kids with.

Second the fact she had the gall to jump on you for what her granddaughter saw is beyond rude. Its downright crazy. What did she expect to happen when they looked in a stall that was occupied?

I can honestly say I’ve never seen this and if I had there is no way that I would let a child(mine or not) do something like that.

Shalamar February 12, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Good lord! I would’ve given that woman a piece of my mind for her grandchildren’s terrible manners.

Snarkastic February 12, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Jerks raising future jerks. Children won’t know what is appropriate unless you teach them proper manners, etc. Grandma sounds like a hoot and just a blast to have around at parties. Blech.