Potty Peeping Twins

by admin on February 12, 2013

This is a story that happened to me on a recent family trip.

We had stopped at a rest stop at some point on the drive down and I went to the ladies room. I noticed an older woman with young twins, about 4 years old.  I didn’t think much of it and entered the stall and went about my business.

Suddenly I have one of the children in my stall laughing!  “Granny, this lady is a grown up who wears a diaper! Hehehehe, only babies wear diapers!” She had crawled under the door! I covered myself best I could and asked her kindly to please leave my stall and hoped that would be the end of it.

Nope. The grandmother continued to let them crawl all over the dirty floor, in and out of my stall, and laugh at my “diaper” (maxi pad, but who am I to give the talk?)

I finally came out of the stall, annoyed, and the grandmother proceeds to berate me for exposing her poor innocent granddaughters to my private parts! Umm excuse me?

I could not get out of there fast enough!   0202-13

Missy February 12, 2013 at 3:45 pm

And I thought it was bad when some woman at a campground brought her Dachshund in. It growled at everyone who was using the facilities. I was sorely tempted to say, “Lady, if you really need to use the toilet now, you’re going to have to get a bigger dog!”

Missy February 12, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I should have clarified that I DID say, “Whose dog is this? Is someone missing a dog?”
Her response was a huffy, “He’s tame! He’s OK off-leash.”
Someone else said, “You need to ‘heel’ him now.”

Lisa February 12, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Oh my God… just EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I know I’m a bit of a germaphobe but even people without germ issues should know better than to let kids crawl around on the floor of a public bathroom.

I suppose you can’t expect someone that stupid to actually possess decent manners. Ugh.

Ashley February 12, 2013 at 3:59 pm

After I made my original comment I got to thinking about all the weird things I’ve ever encountered while in a public restroom. It got me wondering if people just don’t teach manners as often as they used to? Because it seems like every time I am in a public restroom, I encounter someone who, rather than knocking politely and waiting for a response, attempts to just open the stall I am in. Usually it’s full grown adults too, so I can’t even imagine what they are teaching their kids.
The worst of the worst happened at a restaurant that has a bathroom that can only be used one at a time. The fan that comes on with the lights is particularly loud, to the point where you have to SHOUT to be heard over it. I heard someone shaking the door handle trying to get it open, so I yelled as loudly as I could that the bathroom was occupied. They stopped shaking the handle so I assumed they had gotten the hint. A few moments later I hear KEYS in the door and I was left SCRAMBLING to get my pants back on before a male employee let someone in. The stupidest part about it is I am 100% certain that the woman who wanted to use the restroom had seen me go in there not even five minutes before, and her table was facing the bathroom, AND my table was right next to hers. She should have seen that I hadn’t come back yet.

Drawberry February 12, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Those kids are going to grow up with no sense of boundaries and it’s going to get a lot more inappropriate when they’re not 4 years old anymore.

Angeldrac February 12, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Discipline and control of one’s children seems to have become an “optional extra” of child rearing, these days.
I was in a parent’s room at a shopping centre once, in a little cubicle to breastfeed my son (I usually wouldn’t bother going there, but he’s so distracted and alert, lately, it’s the only way to get him fed). There’s a tiny little play area in the parent’s room where parents can put the children while they go to the toilet themselves, or change their other children, so often people will stay a little longer if their child is having fun playing.
So, I’m in my cubicle, feeding my baby and I can hear all this hullabaloo outside – yelling children, running around. Then I hear taps being turned on an off, the microwave buttons being pressed insanely, and general mayhem. The the door of my cubicle gets thumped, repeatedly (not knocked on, just fists bashing it) – my son is now far to distracted to feed, and I’m getting very annoyed. Then my cubicle door starts being opened and shut repeatedly (it had no lock). I stuck my head out and there are two children tearing the place apart while two women sit there having a nice chat.
I said “excuse me! Can you please get your children to stop banging on this door and opening it? It would probably be good if they weren’t splashing water everywhere and playing with the microwave, too – a bit dangerous, don’t you think? There is a playground outside”.
I closed the cubicle door then. The women and their children left, but not without all the huffing and puffing and “gee, some people” “just children playing”. Seriously – people need to get a grip on reality. Those poor children are going to grow up to be thugs, without proper guidance.

Bottlecaps February 12, 2013 at 4:11 pm

While I want to say that I would have been able to handle this situation with composure, I know that’s not the truth. None of the possible responses that are coming up in my brain are Ehell-approved. In fact, most of them would land me straight in Ehell myself! I’m still in awe over this entire scenario!

LonelyHound February 12, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I will admit, when shopping with just myself and my toddler, I do bring my LO into the stall with me. Where else would I put my LO since I cannot bring the cart into the bathroom? He does get on the floor but the hands gets washed right after we are out of the stall. And by no means is he to peek under the stalls. He gets pulled back, told no and attention redirected. If there is an infant restraint seat in the bathroom he is in that. If there is a family restroom and we can wait we wait for that. It can be uncomfortable enough doing your business in the presence of strangers, no one needs to be stared at while they are trying to pee.

OP, I am sorry some ill behaved kiddies invaded your privacy and even more appalled that the Granny jumped all over you. Those children need to be taught manners. I agree with others, a polite spine was totally called for here.

Goodness February 12, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Looks like I’m playing devil’s advocate here:

If Grandma was in the middle of doing her business, there wasn’t much she could do to control the kids right then — it takes as long as it takes and older women have an especially difficult time. She could hardly stand up and go grab them mid-piddle. And she may have been rude out of embarrassment, not having realized that her kid never taught any manners to the grandkids. I’ll be she had a few sharp words about that when they all got home.

Barbarian February 12, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I think the twins sensed Grandma’s inability to control them and took advantage of the situation. Hopefully, Grandma didn’t raise the twins’ parents like that. Grandma was probably embarrassed she could not control the girls and deflected it by yelling at the OP. One option would have been to tell her to keep the kids under control or you’re reporting them to security. In a way you could be doing this family a favor. Elderly grandparents are sometimes in no condition to supervise grandkids. A child drowned in a local waterpark because the grandmother who took the kids to the park on her own could not keep up with them.

I think our gym caters way too much to families with young children. Even though they provide family changing facilities, moms take little boys into the women’s locker room and they get an eyeful. When I complain to the front desk, all I get is a helpless reply-“We’re a family place what can we do?” even though signs announce no opposite sex kids in adult locker areas. Likewise, when they have to close the pool for cleaning because a child had an accident that could have been prevented if the child wore a swim diaper or Mom and Dad took them to the bathroom from time to time. I pay good money to use the outdoor pool. It is wrong to deny several members the outdoor pool on a glorious summer day-young and old alike-because some parent is too lazy to follow the rules.

GHN February 12, 2013 at 4:47 pm

If such a lack of discipline is standard in those kids’ lives, I must say I feel rather sorry for them. Young children need discipline, that is, learning what is and is not acceptable – that is a great part of parenting. And at 4 years, those kids should have learned that this kind of behaviour is not acceptable at all.
As for the grandmother – I’m speechless! :-o

Tsunoba February 12, 2013 at 4:50 pm

@technobabble: Thanks for that. The audacity of that grandmother is amazing, but the way you phrased her accusation gave me a good laugh.

Kate February 12, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I would have been so tempted to give Grandma an earful, but probably wouldn’t have come up with a good comeback until hours later!
Goodness knows what these children are going to grow up like, if they are being taught that there is something wrong with exposing your private parts in a private bathroom stall in order to do your business.

2browneyes4 February 12, 2013 at 5:25 pm

@Coralreef: Spray bottles with water!! LOL!! Perfect!

It sounds like, as disgusting and embarrassing as the public bathroom scenery is, the main issue is failure to control your children.

I was recently in a restaurant where a man was leaving with 2 young children. The little boy, about 5 or 6 years old, walked down my row towards the door putting his hands on the bread in every breadbasket on every table he passed. When he put his hands on the bread on my table, I jerked the basket away and said “Get your hands off my food!!” The father looked at me incredulously and said “C’mon, they’re kids!!” I said “I don’t need his hands on my food” and looked away.

Perhaps I could have been more polite about it, but I saw nothing reasonable about a child that age touching food on other patrons’ tables.

kingsrings February 12, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Kudos to the OP for remaining so civil over such a major violation of privacy to begin with, then the horribly rude behavior of those terrible children and grandmother. If that had happened to me, I would be so offended that they would have gotten quite the tongue-lashing. Parents, when you’re with your children in the bathroom or changing room, there is no excuse for behavior like that happening. You do not let your children violate others’ space like that! This is why I don’t use a bathroom stall if I hear that there are children in the stall next to it. And when I belonged to a health club, their rule was no opposite-sex children under the age of four were allowed in the locker rooms, thank goodness. But even in that case, I would never stand for any children staring at me while I undressed. They can take their curiosity elsewhere.

Shoebox February 12, 2013 at 6:44 pm

OP, you have a great story to tell (in hindsight, at least) and you tell it well. Hopefully that’s some consolation for what you had to go through in the moment.

Frankly, I would’ve lost it at the first intrusion. All it takes is a little questioning rattle on the stall door for me to start yelping in panic (“Ooh, oh, wait a sec, I’ll be out shortly!” etc.). Did these little darlings arrive in my face without warning, as described, the startled scream would’ve been completely unfeigned, as would quite possibly the kick.

I’m going to go out on what I suspect is a short limb here and suggest Grandma might not be mentally what she used to be, at least to the extent of looking after active twin toddlers, and basically just latched on to whatever part of the scene she thought she could control — ie. the grown woman emerging from the stall. It was just an impossible situation all-round, and I do think a hasty exit — possibly augmented by a silent prayer that the girls’ mum will realise the danger of leaving her kids in this woman’s care — was the best course you could’ve taken.

Cammie February 12, 2013 at 9:13 pm

A little boy of about 7 did that to me in an busy theatre washroom. The second time I caught him peeking I hit the wall between us and told him loudly to knock it off. I think he wanted his mom to yell at me because he was whimpering and pointed at me when I emerged. As I approached the sinks I looked at her, and she asked why I shouted at him. The lady drying her hands turned and said he peeked under the door at me too.

She apologized on his behalf and told him he’s lucky we didn’t kick him.

Saucygirl February 12, 2013 at 9:45 pm

You are definitely a better person than I. I would have been tempted to tell the child what it really was, and that in a few years she would need it too for when blood starts pouring out of her. Let the grandma deal with that!

ItsyBitsy February 12, 2013 at 11:27 pm

I’m guessing that Grandma decided offense was the best defense and that’s why she laid into the OP.

Slightly o/t: when my son was small, he went through a phase where he was terrified that he would fall into the (adult) toilet and be flushed away. He grew out of it, naturally, but one afternoon before he did, I had to use a public restroom (I was pregnant with my second and couldn’t wait until I got home) and so had to take him into the cubicle with me. As I sat there, he suddenly announced in a loud voice, “You won’t fall down, mommy, because you’ve got a fat bottom!”
That’s when he learnt to a) use his inside voice in public restrooms and b) never comment on the size of a lady’s bottom.

momofeveryone February 12, 2013 at 11:30 pm

i have a 4 year old son. omg if he ever….i’d smack him upside the head and say knock it off. when we go to a store he knows if he cant keep his act together we will leave. i’ve done it before and i’ll do it again. same for any outing. unfreaking real….

Bea February 12, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Yeesh. My related-horror story: in a changing room at a clothing store, the woman in the stall next to mine had a 4-5 year old girl. The girl was bored and laid on her back, then wormed under the door to watch me change. I covered up and said “Excuse me,” and the mother said “X, get back here” to the child and pulled her back, but didn’t say anything to me. It was good enough so I just let it go.

But then the woman and child finished, and were standing outside the changing stalls talking to someone. A few moments went by and suddenly the child SLAMMED a shopping cart into the door of my changing stall, sending it flying wide open (and in fact bouncing it badly off my arm in the process). I admit, I wasn’t polite, but I was unbelievably startled – and also, my stall was in-line with the entry area and basically anyone out in the main store near the door would have had a full view right in. I think I was in a bra if I recall correctly… anyhow, (mostly out of surprise) I shouted “Jesus CHRIST,” and grabbed the door and threw it shut again.

Okay, kids are kids. But the part that really infuriated me… the woman didn’t apologize! She and her friend murmured a few things back and forth, she didn’t reprimand the child, and then they just left! It was a sort of embarrassed murmuring, but not a WORD to me. Still makes me furious to think about.

Elsie February 12, 2013 at 11:51 pm

My mom would have had quite a lovely word to give to that woman and her grand children about discipline.

waitress wonderwoman February 12, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Wow. Just…wow. And here I was thinking I was incapable of being surprised at people anymore. I’m not one who is driven to speechlessness, but I really don’t think I would have been able to pick my jaw up off the ground for a comeback on this one.

feesh February 13, 2013 at 12:43 am

@ Missy: “Oh he’s totally tame! That’s his friendly growl!”

As for the OP, I can’t fathom why the grandmother would scold you for having your pants down in a restroom stall, but if she isn’t going to tell the kids they’re out of line, you have every right to. Sure it’s rude to micromanage other people’s parenting styles, but when children invade your privacy or personal space or create a dangerous situation, someone has to set them straight immediately. Far too many parents let their kids get away with just about anything by turning a blind eye, or even defending bad behavior, and the only way these kids will learn is if the rest of us intervene and show them their behavior is unacceptable. It is not rude to say “Excuse me, this is my private stall; get out.” Of course it may be hard to come up with the appropriate thing to say when you’re taken aback by such horrible behavior (I’ve heard of kids peeking, but coming all the way in and then MOCKING you for wearing a “diaper”? A 4-year-old should know that is mean and rude. I wonder what else their caretakers let them get away with.)

Melalucci February 13, 2013 at 1:29 am

I don’t think etiquette requires politeness in this situation. I’m with all the people who would have been firm with the kids and scolded the grandma if she attempted to berate me.

NostalgicGal February 13, 2013 at 2:48 am

I’m afraid I would have said to the grandmother. “I was in my own stall with the door closed, and one usually exposes their bottom to go to the bathroom. IF your grandchild had the manners to NOT come under the divider they would not have seen me going about my business. You are lucky I didn’t grab them by a body part and evict them from the stall by any way possible.” Then I would have left and gotten in my car and gotten the blip out of there.

Any child old enough to make three word sentences is big enough to learn to NOT peek or crawl under dividers.

FunkyMunky February 13, 2013 at 4:25 am

It’s a sad thing, but many people have forgotten that ‘parent’ is a verb.

Eccentric Lady February 13, 2013 at 5:01 am

Had this happen to me at a store’s restroom, had a young girl crawl underneath the partition and startled me – I quite loudly protested by saying, “HEY! Get out of here!”. She got yelled at by her mom for that.

May not have been etiquette appropriate, but might have left an impression with the young girl not to do that.

AnaLuisa February 13, 2013 at 5:04 am

Wow. I am left speechless, too.

I can understand that while a kid’s mom is occupied doing her own business in her toilet stall, the kid is left unattended for a short period of time, and that he/she might get an idea to peek under the door of another stall.

But that’s the absolute end of it. The moment I would notice this, or hear my kid comment on someone else’s private parts, I would be already up and shouting at the kid to IMMEDIATELY stop doing this, and profusely apologising to the victim (and wishing to crawl under the tiles out of shame).

I just do not understand what followed – how come the Granny let the kid 1) get away with her rude comments (OK, the child might not understand they were rude but the Granny definitely should!) 2) continue crawling on the floor and 3), the worst of all – have the guts to blame the VICTIM of this appalling behaviour.

The only explanation, besides the lady being a total boor, is an onset of Alzheimer’s or something along this path.

I must strongly disagree with those who say that not saying/doing anything was more appropriate than expressing dismay and even anger. I generally disapprove of angry responses as I think most people should be given the benefit of doubt – but this case was SO different I think there is no place for doubt and that there is definitely a lesson to be learned by both Granny and the kids. I would consider inappropriate NOT to show my anger and absolute amazement at such a behaviour – no place for ladylike behaviour here. I think it is well possible to express anger without being downright rude.

The Elf February 13, 2013 at 8:05 am

Goodness, any sympathy I might have had for Grandma being in too awkward a position went out the window at her rude comment about the private parts. If the scenario was as you suggest, she would have been too embarrassed to say anything or would have apologized on behalf of the child. I also would have expected an attempt – even unsucessful – of reining on the child by demanding the child come to her right now.

SuzieQ February 13, 2013 at 8:51 am

@2browneyes4 –
Seriously? The man said “come on they are just kids”? Wow.
Mister, that is the reason I don’t want their hands all over my food. At least adults don’t pick their noses, touch everything around them, stick their hands in their mouths. Then put their hands ON MY FOOD.

Wow. I love kids – I work with kids. But I don’t want their germy little hands on my food! Kudos to you for responding as you did. I think I would have yelled at him and I hate confrontations.

Huh February 13, 2013 at 8:53 am

@Saucygirl, OMG, I thought the same thing! Hey, we’re all girls here with the same parts, and if you’re rude enough to come barging into my stall and make a comment, then you’re going to get the overly graphic truth! ;)

essie February 13, 2013 at 10:15 am

@Goodness (Comment #59): I do not believe these 2 girls behaved as perfect angels until the moment Grandma took them into the restroom and closed the stall door. There had to be signs, long before then, that they couldn’t be trusted to behave appropriately and she should have taken whatever steps were necessary to prevent them from annoying others. The OP said “…the grandmother continued to let them …”, so apparently she didn’t even attempt to admonish or correct them.

I had my boys at what my OB called “advanced maternal age” – old enough that I have been mistaken for their grandmother several times. If I needed to use a public restroom, had nobody with me to watch them outside, and they were ambulatory, they went into the stall with me and stood facing the door. When they were old enough to remember and follow directions for more than 10 seconds, they came into the restroom with me and stood facing the wall (or a corner, if one was easily accessible) until I came out of the stall.

A February 13, 2013 at 10:37 am

Love this:

FunkyMunky February 13, 2013 at 4:25 am
It’s a sad thing, but many people have forgotten that ‘parent’ is a verb.

I would’ve shot back at the grandma by letting her know that her grandchildren were exposed to a lot more than someone’s naked parts while they crawled around on a dirty bathroom floor!

Yarnspinner February 13, 2013 at 11:08 am

Here’s what happens when these kids get older:

An acquaintance of mine was using a crowded ladies room and because she was desperate, when her turn came, she took the stall that didn’t lock. She was, by her description, literally pulling her pants off as she ran in. She hung her pocketbook on the door in such a way that it balanced the door enough to keep it closed.

Suddenly the door sloooowly swings out and open. Friend grabs door by the bottom, pulls it back. Hears much giggling and snickering outside the door. Door balances itself and shuts again. Suddenly door swings wide open again, accompanied by the giggles and snickering.

Friend grabs door and tries to hold it shut, making it harder to finish her business.

NOW she feels a tug on the door and hears the giggles and snickers. She said by then her pants were wet from running after the door and her face was red from exposure. When she opened the door and walked out, there were three teens (she thought 15 or 16) who had been waiting and thought it a grand prank to keep opening her door.

I asked her what she said to them.

She said “What could I say? I was SO embarrassed and near tears, I was afraid of what I might say and frankly, they looked bigger than me and I was afraid. So I left the store with wet pants and went home.”

That was over thirty some years ago that I heard that tale and my blood still boils when I think of it.

Green123 February 13, 2013 at 11:13 am

I think being spied on in a public restroom is an example of when one should not feel it necessary to be polite.

CatToo February 13, 2013 at 11:58 am

“Actually I did try to prevent them from seeing my private parts, but unfortunately you allowed them to get past the door I closed and locked.”

“Excuse me? You’re bothered because I allowed them to see my private parts? I’m bothered that YOU allowed them to see my private parts.”

Lisa February 13, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Yanno, at 4 years these kids are probably right in the middle of the “question everything” stage so I’d be tempted to say, “That’s not a diaper. It’s a maxi pad. Granny will tell you ALLLLLL about why ladies need maxi pads just as soon as she’s done peeing!”

MichelleP February 13, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Absolutely absurd for children and their parents/grandparents to act like that.

@Goodness, I hope you’re joking. There is no excuse for not teaching children that they were wrong, and embarassment is no excuse for her saying anything to the OP other than an apology.

I have a child and helped raise a niece and nephew, and there is no excuse for this behavior.

Lacey February 13, 2013 at 1:08 pm

WOW. I would have yelled at the kids; it’s the only way they’ll learn, as apparently their guardians aren’t teaching them proper behavior. Anyone who wonders why some restaurants are going child-free and why not everyone delights to see a child out in public only needs to look at the attitudes of the grandmother in this story and the parents in the stories in the comments (except the mom in Cammies story, she was awesome). Treating children like little kings and queens who shouldn’t be subject to discipline/education about how to behave in society has become the norm among North American parents.

Gee February 13, 2013 at 1:25 pm

**picks jaw up off floor**

The nerve of some people–to blame you, the victim, for what happened! Yeah, how dare you do private business behind a locked door in the intended place for it. I’d like to believe the lady has dementia to blame, but that may not be the case. Some people are just that rude.

I once was using a bathroom when a toddler tried to look under my door. His mother immediately said, “Hey! You know better than that!” and pulled him back. When I came out of the stall, she apologized profusely. I could tell she was horribly embarassed. However, she caught the kid before he managed to see anything.

Yarnspinner–I had a similar incident when I was on a class trip. I had to use the bathroom on the bus, and a witchy classmate of mine thought it would be hilarious to keep trying to barge in. I had to sit on the toilet and brace my foot against the door to keep her from busting in. She was 16 at the time! Not only that, but all her friends thought it was utterly hilarious, and kept egging her on. I never came so close to punching someone in the face in my life. (I restrained myself, but only just.)

Calli Arcale February 13, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Of course you can be polite. Remember, polite doesn’t mean “doormat” or “surrender” or anything like that. In fact, a polite rejoinder can be more effective than a full-on swear.

To the grandmother:
“Excuse me, ma’am, but your twins seem to be training to be sex offenders over here. Could you remove them from my stall, please?”

To the child:
“Miss, it is very rude to look at people on the toilet. This is not a diaper, and your grandmother can explain what it is for and why all women need them. Even you, someday. And if you don’t leave, I will have to remove you.”

Goodness February 13, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Looks like everyone thinks I’ve lost my mind. That’s OK. I was just tossing another ‘take’ on the situation out there.

River February 13, 2013 at 6:54 pm

@2browneyes4

Ugh! There is nothing that skeeves me out more than children touching food that’s not theirs. My niece does it all the time – poking cakes “I want that piece”, touching bread “Are you going to eat that?” jabbing unfamiliar items “What’s that?” If she were my child she’d have been told from a very early age that it was unacceptable. So I thank you for telling this child off because in all likelihood he has no idea it’s wrong and he’s been doing it to people in his family who can’t stand it but have no idea what to say because of the complexities of familial relationships.

On another note, having people look at me in the bathroom stall is one of my biggest nightmares (I’ve even had nightmares about it). I would have been screaming cusses at the kid and probably have aimed a kick at his face. Just on reflex. Which is another reason you don’t let kids do it – you never know how crazy the person in the next stall is.

CatFanatic February 13, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Bea, I read your story with a grim sense of familiarity.

I was trying on pants in a ladies’ clothing store with those wretched curtain ‘doors’. A family of about seven (mother and about 6 kids ranging from maybe two up to about 14) were hanging around inside (why they didn’t wait outside the store was beyond me – it wasn’t that big, most of the kids were very bored boys, and the oldest could have watched them) near the changing rooms. And of course, just as I took off my pants, the youngest child yanked my curtain open, exposing me in my underwear to the entire store.

I screeched and yanked the curtain closed (for anyone who thinks this may be an overreaction on my part, I have severe issues with feeling exposed and reacted entirely on instinct). That was bad enough. The worst part was that the entire family started to laugh and one called out a merry and utterly insincere ‘sorry!’. And then they left before I could recover (and pull on my pants) to step out to let them know exactly what I thought of their behaviour.

What is it with these people? Why don’t they parent? And if there is a slip – I get that this happens – can’t they at least apologise and mean it?

Lenore February 14, 2013 at 6:30 am

@ Sara, I do understand that seven years old seems old enough to leave a little boy out of the bathroom. I hope I’m not making people uncomfortable by bringing my seven year old boy in with me. Last year a child sent alone into the bathroom was abused in my area. I know he is getting older and sometimes he goes by himself in the men’s room when we aren’t with my husband, but I am terrified the whole time waiting for him. In a really busy place, I choose to take him with me. I’m slowly letting go and trusting that he would know what to do, but it is still hard.

NicoleK February 14, 2013 at 7:48 am

It’s silly, but I think your best bet might be to scream, open the door, and shout, “Get out! Get out! Get out!”

Sugaryfun February 15, 2013 at 7:20 pm

@2Browneyes
Good on you, some kids really do just need to be told what they’re doing is innappropriate! Not just kids either. I have an adult Asperger’s relative who goes around touching other people’s food – “ooh! Strawberries!” poke, poke- or grabbing bits from other people’s plates (pinching a chip from a friend’s plate I understand, but he actually grabbed a handful of my salad once and I know he sometimes doesn’t wash his hands after going to the loo so ewwwww). I tell him off but since I’m apparently the only person who has he thinks I’m weird for minding.

crazychick10793 February 16, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Hi everyone, OP here, love some of these comments!

I understand the grandma can’t exactly come fetch the kids mid-pee but I’m sure she could have at least demanded “X and Y! back here now!” or something of that nature and apologized to whoever they bothered.

And I try to have a stern but gentle nature with children, I was stern, but kind when I told the girl to please leave my stall.

As for Grandma’s flipout, I just rolled my eyes, walked away, and returned to the safety of my family’s van, and thankfully saw the three leave the restroom a few minutes later.

delislice February 17, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I’m totally up there with someone else putting their hands or fingers on my food or “public” food. I teach a weekly children’s chapel at my preschool, and I’m convinced that at least as valuable as the content of what I say is what *else* they learn.

–Only touch one cookie in the cookie box, and take the one you touched.
–You have to scrub your hands with antibacterial gel before you can get your cookie.
–Stay in line, file in quietly, and sit in your seat.
–Line up and file out quietly.
–Say “thank you” for the cookie.
–If you drop your cookie, it goes in the garbage. We’ll give you another one.

Somehow I didn’t learn until I was 6 or 7 that if I touched a piece of food I had to take it, and to touch only the one I planned to take, but I’ve never forgotten it.

Eew.

As for the primary incident, I agree … I could only have said… “That’s exactly why I was in a LOCKED stall to do my PRIVATE business that exposes my PRIVATE parts and my UNMENTIONABLES.” I might even have had to scream… I’ve been known to do that occasionally.