Car Registry

by admin on February 19, 2013

I love the site, as it’s informative and funny. It’s been especially enlightening when I apply lessons from submitted stories to events I see in my own life. For example, tonight when I was watching television, a commercial for the new Dodge Dart came on. But it wasn’t the ad I’ve seen multiple times before, it was a new one. For a car registry.

There is a website which I will quote from, “NEW RULES FOR BUYING YOUR CAR. Pick out the features you want in your new Dart and then invite friends and family to sponsor individual parts of the car. You can raise a portion of the cost of a new Dart or the full price. Then all you have to do is go to a dealership and pick it up.”

This is basically the commercial in 3 sentences. While watching it, my mouth dropped open in surprise, and after the initial shock wore off, I thought, “I better send this to Ehell!”, because of all the stories concerning registries. Anyway, you might’ve already heard about this, but I thought I would submit this just in case.

P.S. Go to the website. At the bottom of the first page, there’s actually a live feed, telling visitors, “So-and-so received funding 5 hours and 4 minutes ago,” or “So-and-so created a new registry.” At least they didn’t list the amount given to the special so-and-sos. 0210-13

I deliberately edit out the URL of this registry because I have principled rejection of promoting web sites that prey upon people.

If anyone had doubts that registries have not morphed into structured gimme opportunities, this should dispel that notion.   It used to be that one mark of adulthood was that you took ownership of your responsibility to provide for yourself and your ability to move into adult society without mooching off of friends and family.   The concept of buying what you can afford, namely a used car, seems to be lost on people who want what they want NOW.   I routinely watch real estate “reality” shows such as “House Hunters” and am often struck by the impatient greediness of some couples who want extravagant features in a house they cannot afford.   Granite counter tops, stainless steel  appliances, hardwood floors, jetted bathtub, etc. are some of the “must have” amenities the budget cannot accommodate.   The young couples most notably often do not appear to be willing to wait and work over years to eventually acquire those desired features.   So Dodge is capitalizing on that impatience and assisting people who have no business buying a brand new car they cannot afford by offering them the means to solicit their friends and family to fund the purchase of a new Dart.  In my family and circle of friends, this kind of registry would elicit the immediate reaction of,”Is this a joke?”, followed by a firm decline to have anything to do with such an obvious attempt to use family and friends to assist in buying something the person clearly cannot afford by themselves.

Mojo February 19, 2013 at 4:44 am

It’s not often I’m shocked, but this is unbelievable.

We once clubbed together to buy a particular friend a new pair of glasses. Hers were terribly scratched and falling apart. She just couldn’t afford a new pair. But she didn’t ask us for them, and they were a necessity. This is just encouraging entitled people to beg for luxuries.

sstabeler February 19, 2013 at 6:00 am

yeah, I have noting against people willingly helping someone buy something ( like parents helping their kids get their first car) but this… pure greed.

Lychii February 19, 2013 at 6:47 am

This is a record of greediness. Nobody NEEDS a $15-30,000 car, a very obvious fact.

Other fundraising websites at least make it possible to present a sense of need and charity, which is impossible here, as you’re requesting donations for a luxury car. I don’t believe this registry will have much success.

Patti February 19, 2013 at 8:03 am

Wow, I think this is really bad and certainly hope that no one would donate to this type of fund.
I got receied this as a email, I would email them a bank info about saving money.

When did this become the gimme generation. I want so giveit to me, since I sure don’t want to work and pay for it myself.

Sorry, I would never give to a car fund, wedding honeymoon trip, or even worse, hey give my down payment on a house. No No No.

Mary February 19, 2013 at 8:04 am

I saw the ad this past weekend and my second thought after my horror was ehell. My mom wasn’t paying attention to the ad and once I explained it to her she was horrified as well. I can only pray that the company’s idea fails and does not catch on.

Regarding Admin’s comment regarding homes, she is spot on. Hubby and I only purchased out first home thirteen years ago and it was a 2 bedroom, one bath starter home. But it seemed like the trend of wanting the equivalent of your parents home the moment you moved out was starting. One can be very happy in a home without all of those fancy features and they should be earned over time. Due to moving to an area with very low housing costs, our second home more than twice as much space as our first including the jetted tub. After seven years in that house and still raising two kids, we moved again. To a smaller house, smaller by choice. No granite, two normal bathrooms.

People today are way too entitled. Imagine the horror of some of those people if they knew hubby and I had purchased one used car so far in our lifetimes, and the rest have been hand me downs.

Melissa February 19, 2013 at 8:45 am

I really thought that you both just weren’t getting the joke. Obviously, it was just some sort of clever advertising, right? So I looked it up, and I was disappointed to find out that it’s not a joke. This is really insane. Wow.

WildIrishRose February 19, 2013 at 9:04 am

I saw this commercial too, and I was dumbfounded as well. No wonder people persist with the entitlement mentality!

Teapot February 19, 2013 at 9:13 am

Just when you think you’ve heard it all! But why settle for a Dart? Why not a Lexus? Or a Mercedes? I hadn’t seen this commercial so I just took a look at it on-line. Un. Be. Lievable.

Elle February 19, 2013 at 9:31 am

Eh, I would be in askance over someone who wanted to have a car shower (wash?) or something, but as part of a wedding registry it’s not that heinous. It’s *supposed* to be about setting up the new couple for their life together after all. Who cares if the big ticket item is upgrading the car they want versus a couch?

And *of course* reality TV shows have the young couple that wants everything, and wants it to be in their price range. A good portion of the reality TV audience is watching for purposes of dream fulfillment (oh, look – it ended happily ever after, just like last week). But the base human smugness of “Well *I’m* smarter than these people. I understand you can’t get granite at that price/ send a model down the runway in a skirt that short/ how to lose weight/ how to read people/ etc.” There wouldn’t be much of an audience for house hunters if every episode ended with “well, it’s not what we wanted at all, but with smart budgeting we’ll really make it impressive to see in about ten years.”

abf February 19, 2013 at 9:44 am

I’m so glad to hear you feel the same about “House Hunters.” I am amazed as well. A very good friend (and amazing mentor) once commented on this subject. She said, “If these young couples start out in such lavish homes, where do they go from there?” She further commented about the value of the “Starter Home” and how it teaches a young couple to plan and dream.

And, I’d like to say how much I enjoy your website. Thank you! Like OP, I’ve tried to take what I’ve learned from here and apply it to situations I encounter.

Lisa Marie February 19, 2013 at 9:54 am

my response to a car registry request would be – I have enough trouble buying my OWN car…
you want me to buy YOURS? get REAL!

Magicdomino February 19, 2013 at 10:03 am

So, instead of having money deducted from my checking account to a savings account dedicated to future bathroom remodelling, I should have a website registry. “Buy me a faucet!” “Buy me marble floor tile!” Yeah, that would go over really well with the relatives. At least, my savings account earns interest; the Dart website comes with some hefty fees.

Serena February 19, 2013 at 10:13 am

I would be mortified to use something like this. Granted, I haven’t had a new car since my parents bought me one for my college graduation. Most of my cars have been the type that “if they last longer than a rental would have at the same price, I’ve come out ahead.” They aren’t usually very pretty, but they’re mine. Bought with my money that I earned for an honest day’s work. That means more than all the shiny knobs and gadgets.

Melissa February 19, 2013 at 10:33 am

You know, I have spent this whole time thinking that this was a joke they made for the commercial, and thought people were taking it way too seriously. So I went over to check, and you actually can create a registry. What is wrong with this world? The first car I ever purchased was a 12-year-old Geo Prizm, because that’s what I could afford! At 34 I have still never owned a brand new car (although to be honest, I probably never will, they are a waste of money). If you can’t afford it, don’t get it.

Amber February 19, 2013 at 10:37 am

Not just “I want it! And I want it NOW!!!!”, I think we’ve come to a crossroads in culture where certain groups of young people are taught that all sorts of ammenities are necessary to have a happy and fulfilling life.

I think, while there will always be people who think the world owes them a favor, this belief as mainstream concept comes in waves. From what I see and understand, the 80s was a pretty consumerist time period, then certain parts of the 90s swung back against it, and then it swung forward again and is still with us, except I guess in the hipstery, farmer’s market, vintage stuff, build your own things and wear beards movement that has finally hit the mainstream youth culture after years of being a side culture. Maybe they’ll swing it back, and new cars, jetted tubs and stainless steel appliances will be replaced with canning, furniture building, gardening, and buying fixer-uppers to practice the build it-fix it skills.

Sally February 19, 2013 at 10:55 am

I’m glad you mentioned “House Hunters”. I too, am bothered by all these first time homebuyers who want everything in their first house. Oh, they also want to pay under market value. And they always seem to get what they want, I’m not quite sure how. My husband and I have discussed this over the past several years. Everyone want to have everything, right away, instead of waiting until they can afford it. We bought one thing at a time, until we had what we wanted. This took several years and we still live that way. I’m not sure what the answer is, except for people to learn to say “no” and mean it.

Helen February 19, 2013 at 11:08 am

I’m not sure why this is pointed out as a problem of young people. The young people I know are scrimping to get by while paying off massive student loan debt–none of them is registering for cars or trying to buy mini mansions. Generalizing about all young people based off of a television show seems rather unfair to me.

Angel February 19, 2013 at 11:15 am

Auto companies have sunk to a new low. Is there anything that there is not a registry for?

Moralia February 19, 2013 at 11:29 am

Here’s a story about someone using registries for good instead of evil:

PNJ February 19, 2013 at 11:34 am

OP, you beat me to it! I thought the exact thing when I saw this commercial. It is the utmost example of gimme pigs to ask someone to “sponsor” your car!

Eccentric Lady February 19, 2013 at 11:47 am

I will admit when I saw this ad, I could not believe it either – it’s not a major life event like a baby shower or a wedding. Jeez.

Ashley February 19, 2013 at 11:49 am

I saw this commercial several days ago and when I got the gist of what it was about, I actually yelled “ARE YOU SERIOUS??” at the TV.

It makes me glad my parents raised me to work for what I want, not pawn my wants off on other people.

lakey February 19, 2013 at 11:58 am

Part of this problem lies with the number of people who allow themselves to be taken advantage of by moochers. There are way too many people who will cave in to these demands for free stuff. And some of these people who cave in think that they are being nice. Encouraging irresponsible behavior isn’t a good thing.

LadyLelan February 19, 2013 at 12:20 pm

A car registry??? SERIOUSLY??? (now where has my jaw fallen again? Ah, on the kitchen floor.)

I didn’t even know this could exist, and I’m much, much appalled. That is the most gimme-piggish thing I’ve ever read about on eHell.

Sharon February 19, 2013 at 12:21 pm

As soon as I saw that commercial, I KNEW someone was going to mention it here. Is this really what we have come to, that people think this is OK?

Lerah99 February 19, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Wait, are people using this registry in lieu of a wedding registry, baby shower registry, etc…?

Or are people just registering for a car with no particular reason behind it and expecting their friends and family to “crowd-source” their vehicle?

Either way, this is the sort of thing I’d expect to see on a sitcom rather than in real life.

How entitled do you have to be to expect your friends and family to not just buy you a car, but buy you a brand new car tricked out with your favorite features?

Here is what I’d like to say to people with these registries:
Have you cured cancer? Invented a new cheap clean energy device? Figured out a way to cure world poverty? Won a Pulitzer? Won a Nobel Peace Prize? Have you contributed to your community to make it better now than it was when you arrived? Have you extended yourself to make other people’s lives better?
Maybe you should reach out to help people worse off than you are. And then you will find yourself amazed by how blessed your life is.
And rather than feeling like you NEED a brand new car to be happy, you will find happiness in your life now.
Rather than feeling like you are OWED a brand new car, you will shift your focus. You will work to see the hungry are fed, the ill are cared for, the impoverished are given options to rise out of poverty, and the oppressed are freed. You will see those that society has neglected, people who are OWED something better.
And you will no longer feel like you are getting the short end of the stick.

Brenda February 19, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Oh, yes, the “must have” people on the House Hunters shows are bad, but you have to watch Property Brothers to see the real gimme pigs. The Americans on House Hunters International who want open floor plans in a historical building in Europe give me some great laughs. (One real estate agent in France, upon being given the request for an open plan kitchen living room in a small, historical building, said, “We don’t spend that much time cooking,” then gave the classic gallic shrug.) I may have to start a running list on twitter.

michellep February 19, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Absolutely priceless. Never ceases to amaze me. I’m only 33 and I was raised to work for what I want.

Same subject: just recently I received an “invite” to a bridal shower for my cousin on Facebook. I never hear from her or her sister unless they want something. They live 2 thousand miles away and I have not been invited to the wedding. The invite linked to a registry. My cousin and her fiance are both in their thirties and have lived their entire adult lives on their own. They registered at four different places for everything from towels to a $900 camera. Good grief.

girl_with_all_the_yarn February 19, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I have a sorority sister who has already registered for this and she has inundated my inbox with requests for money.

Never mind that she looked at my very thoughtful wedding gift to her of catering the wedding shower out of pocket (I was very broke and one of the girls throwing the event begged. I spent two days in the kitchen cooking for this thing) and said “That’s nice, where’s my real present?” Never mind that she had pleaded and demanded handknits and monetary gifts from me since we met without even a thank you or a freaking facebook message on my birthday or when I had major surgery. In fact, the day I got home from major, life-altering surgery she literally asked if I could cater a dinner party for her little socialite friends, free of charge. Oh, and yes, she’d give me a chair to sit on while I cooked because of the surgery. (I do not entirely recall how I responded as I was heavily drugged but according to another sorority sister who was helping take care of me post-op, I apparently called her up, called her a rather strange name and hung up. I do not remember doing this, but it was apparently very, very funny.)

She’s not getting a dime from me. Ungrateful, selfish little brat.

Library Diva February 19, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Appalling on the car registry.

I also agree about House Hunters. The people on that show are so ridiculously picky about the wrong things. They will veto a home because they don’t like the tile in the kitchen, but never once do they ask about the roof, the foundation, the type of heat it uses, how old the windows are, or other things that actually have long-term relevance. My parents’ home was just so-so when they bought it in the 1970s. It had a lot of ugly decor and they had to convert a bedroom back to a dining room, but it was structurally pretty solid and 35 years later, bit by bit, they’ve made it a real showplace and they did it without backbreaking mortgage payments.

Girl With All the Yarn, your associate sounds ghastly. I bet you are eager for the day when you can cut ties with her.

momofeveryone February 19, 2013 at 2:19 pm

car registery: ugh. so so crass. i mean really….really?

house hunters: im 28,my dh is 33. when we met the realtor last night for the first time, she seemed shocked. our only requirements for a house were 3 bedroom and a house that will pass an inspection. everything else is negotiable. why? because we have a very tight budget, and to get the house in the area we want we need to be flexible. we value the schools and taxes and utility costs over square footage. we can add/change to a house, its harder to change the schools. the gimmies on those shows have turned me off hgtv, i now just go onto the web page for ideas.

AthenaC February 19, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Agree with Helen that it’s not just a young people problem. Although, if you have seen the ad, it is CLEARLY targeted at young people.

Honestly, though, for all the young people that actually bought the lie of “study what you love! And make sure you do it at an expensive, private college!” in high school who are destitute as a result of not knowing any better … I wouldn’t begrudge them the only nice thing they will be able to afford for the next 30 years.

Right now, I’m working on paying off a manageable amount of debt. I could do it faster, but I prefer to maintain a certain lifestyle while I do. And I get told by some previous generations that I’m “entitled” because I’m still in debt. Well, sorry. It’s my money, and I’m managing it how I see fit. So it seems that different age groups see “entitled” a bit differently.

Regarding House Hunters – never fails to be amusing. “Oh, we’re looking for a condo in on the beach. All we want is just a great second home to raise our children in. Our budget is $5M and granite countertops are a MUST.” And then there’s “Ohmigosh! These dated cabinets have GOT to GO!” (As if dated, functional cabinets are the worst offense ever.) The other shows (Property Brothers, Love it or List it, etc.) tend to be a mix of entitled folks and genuine hard-working folks that want value for their money.

Joni February 19, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Eh. It’s an advertising gimmick. And now we are all talking about it, which means that Dodge (or whatever ad agency they have employed) has done their job.

I disagree with the Dame’s assesment that this strategy ‘preys’ on people – no one is being scammed or conned and nobody is being forced to contribute money against their will. If a greedy relative tries to get you to sponsor the tailpipe on their new car, then shrug it off. It’s an annoyance, not a threat.

Mr. Z February 19, 2013 at 3:34 pm

My God, I just went on line and this is really true. I can’t believe some of the stories and outright greed expressed. My suggestion is to get a job, settle for less than new and be responsible. I don’t owe you anything.

Princess Buttercup February 19, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I’ve seen the commercial a couple times and my thought was amazingly greedy and just wait till it gets mentioned on ehell! lol

No one _needs_ a brand new customized car, even if they need transportation to work there are cheaper options that will make do.

aschmid3 February 19, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I was wondering if I was the only one who immediately thought of this site the second they saw this stupid “car registry” commercial. Glad to see I’m not alone!

girl_with_all_the_yarn, I’m sad to hear someone has actually registered for a new Dart and started drumming up donations. I was really hoping the whole idea would quickly go the way of Crystal Pepsi.

Cerise February 19, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Would anybody here like to contribute to my Rainy Day Supercar fund? It’s ONLY a cool million for the Bugatti Veyron I’ve had my eye on. So far, I’ve saved up $53.17. Any takers? Pleeeeeeeeeze????

Sorry – I saw that commercial and raised an eyebrow. What’s next? Registries for plastic surgery? Oh, scratch that – there is one for women who’d like breast augmentation. Strange men sponsor the surgery. All you have to do is show off the results on the website. Quelle klassy.

What people tend to forget is that if you can’t afford the new car, you probably can’t afford the insurance on it. Maybe somebody will start a registry for *that.* Ugh!

Registries really bring out the worst in people, that’s for certain.

I knew a bridezilla who registered at Nieman Marcus because she didn’t want “junk” for her wedding. No gift was under $500. When we declined the invitation, she called me up, screaming and swearing at me. She told me I was ‘jealous’ and I ‘didn’t want her to have her dream.’

I tried explaining that I live in Reality and if you blow off your property taxes because bridey needs a $1,000 set of finger bowls, you wind up homeless in Reality. In the interest of being polite, I won’t tell you what she told me to cram where.

For her housewarming, she registered at Ethan Allen. What ever happened to bringing a houseplant and a bottle of wine?

Again, we declined. She went ballistic – jealous, don’t want her to have her dream – yup. Oldies but goodies, but she did trot out some new material – we were mentally ill because we wouldn’t shell out $4K for a couple of dining room chairs. We were the worst friends in the world!

Before she slammed the phone down she kept screaming that I was crazy. The next day, I got an email from her that was nothing but the words “F… YOU!!!!!!!!!” in the biggest font I’ve ever seen in my life!

For the record, we have a big, dumpy house – we bought it 30 years ago and just paid it off last month. We saw potential. We do all the work ourselves. We save up. We go without. We modify our plans when they’re too cost prohibitive. You won’t find granite counter tops and you won’t find us registering for them any time soon : )

Call me old-fashioned, but working for what we have makes me appreciate it all the more.

E February 19, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Just to let you know, those House Hunter shows are “reality” with extra quotation marks – I know people that have been on the show, and this is how it works:

The couple selected has already chosen and closed the sale on a home they want BEFORE filming even begins. House Hunters then pretends to have come in at the start of the process and shows the couple homes they have no intention of buying, and has them come up with (often ridiculous) reasons not to be interested – and as the reality formula typically goes, they also come up with some sort of hitch to create suspense – pretending that the house they’ve already bought in actual real life has an issue, or they can’t afford it, etc.

So yes, the message of the show is in direct violation of the laws of etiquette, but the people on it are really just playing a part, and in reality may have been much more realistic and reasonable in the home buying process. Reality TV is anything but, although that’s an entirely separate topic on its own!

Ergala February 19, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Oh…my….goodness. My husband and I just bought a new car in October. We had to, our old one was 20 years old and actually caught on fire on the interstate AND the backseat would start smoking. We have two small children, you better believe we coughed up the monthly payments. His parents were amazing though and gave us a large amount to put towards it to lower the monthly payments. We didn’t ask, we didn’t hint and we sure didn’t expect it. But they knew we needed a new car and the fact we were willing to pay almost $300 a month for the car without help persuaded them to give us enough to drop the payments substantially. Our plan is to build our first house after our car is paid off. This gives us time to save, clean up our credit and make sure we are ready for it.

I know someone who complained that the Good News Garage was making her save $400 before they would give her a car. She didn’t think that was fair at all. Even after they explained it was to cover registration, and insurance. She couldn’t understand why she should have to save anything since she was poor. If you can’t save $400 for regular maintenance of a vehicle how do you expect to pay for gas, monthly insurance payments, oil changes, new tires and any emergencies that pop up? I asked her this and she said that the state was helping her with that.

I blame the need for instant gratification people have in order for these types of “programs” to succeed. I mean we’d love to have a new house right.this.minute but we are not prepared financially for the mortgage, up keep costs, and the fringe costs that go with owning your own home like sewer, trash removal, property taxes, insurance, utilities, water, heating oil….

Justin February 19, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I’m glad that my parents raised me with the attitude that you are entitled only to what you work for. Whenever I have wanted a toy I finance it by taking on side work or a second or third job for a while, not begging. I suspect in a few months or working extra most people can raise significantly more money than the same amount of effort begging.

ImJustSaying February 19, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I don’t know if anyone said this already but I got the funny image of someone receiving a package opening it and it’s an exhaust pipe from grandma saying “here you go, sweetums found it on ebay since i couldn’t afford the dart version”
Everyone before now seemed to have no problem paying a down payment and chipping away at the remainder over 6-10 years. now you have to wait however long for bunches of people to “sponsor car parts. What if you get all the money except enough to cover the cost of the tires or better yet the steering wheel? I can only imagine someone saying “NO ONE has sponsored my STEERING WHEEL! I’ll NEVER have a car now!

Jessiebird February 19, 2013 at 6:37 pm

What concerns me is that the marketing associate who came up with this may have no idea how inappropriate it is. When things become normative to a person, it never occurs to them how outrageous it might be to others. It gets put into the world and starts to become normative to others. In some instances, this is how culture and society is pushed forward, innovation driven, etc., but in others, is how society descends to barbaric crassness.

I just keep thinking of the marketing associate(s). Maybe they knew what they were doing…but maybe not.

AS February 19, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Taken verbatim from the advertisement: “Why pay for yourself when you can sign up for the dodge dart registry , and let your friends and family help finance your car”
Yikes! I am not sure where I can even start. The trouble is that a lot of people might fall for it, and actually finance the car. Remember that “priceless wedding” couple? Apparently many businesses did fall for the “awesome” (?!?) couple.

I will not lie – my parents covered a part of the cost for my first car. But my dad literally had to force me to take the check and deposit it, because I was having a lot of trouble saving up for a decent, second-hand car on graduate assistantship. But if I have trouble buying a second-hand car, I’ll not think of a new car, much less a new luxury car. And if my status is to drive a luxury car, I am surely not going to expect others to sponsor it for me.

AS February 19, 2013 at 6:51 pm

BTW, what will happen if someone just sponsors, say for example, the door, and nothing else gets sponsored? Will the couple be able to purchase it on their own (in which case, they shouldn’t be registering for it). If not, does the company return the money? Or just pocket it themselves?

Sugaryfun February 19, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I can understand clubbing together to help someone buy a car if they can’t afford one and need one, but not a brand new luxury car! A secondhand one maybe.

Ally February 19, 2013 at 7:12 pm

So glad everyone here shares the same thoughts on House Hunters and the other homey shows, I get sucked into watching them just to see how bad the couples are. I’ve seen episodes of Love it or List it where the 4 children are sharing bedrooms, and the family has the option of moving to a new house where they’d each have space…. but mom and dad for that new spa manager bath they’ve always wanted and chose to stay in the house! Talk about entitled, and that’s not even the youngest generation.

Ironically enough, I just saw a post on Facebook from a friend very similar… the text was “who wants to donate to the send-me-and-my-girlfriend to cabo for our 1 year anniversary fund.”. The responses are all jokes, and he’s a theater comedy student so I do hope it’s a joke, but all the same who even thinks of that?!

Roslyn February 19, 2013 at 7:57 pm

You know, not a whole lot surprises me anymore…..

waitress wonderwoman February 19, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Unbelievable. My first car was a used Geo Metro I got for $1500. And, to this day, it is my favorite car I have ever owned.
Hmmmm. Now that I’m getting a little older, my body doesn’t look the way it did in it’s 20’s. Think I’ll start a “Nip/Tuck” registry. Get my friends and family to “sponsor” a lift or some Botox. Sounds reasonable to me ;-)

waitress wonderwoman February 19, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Curiosity got the best of me and I checked out some of the registries. Maybe one or two of them (out of over 4000, I think) actually seemed like good causes to give too. A fraternity wants one to donate to Meals on Wheels and a woman undergoing breast cancer treatments six hours from her home. The others though, gimmie, gimmie! One young woman just turned 21 and it would make a GREAT birthday present. A high school senior is sooooo sick of having to be dropped off at school by his mom (*gasp* the horror!). Are you freakin’ kidding me?!?! Also Dodge gets a 9% cut and if you don’t reach your goal (and looking from the lack of donations, it doesn’t seem like many will) they send you a check, minus their cut, for what you did raise for you to spend of whatever you like. Entertaining to say the least.

Cerise February 19, 2013 at 11:45 pm

In response to what Waitress Wonderwoman posted about the high school senior who is sick of being dropped off at school by mom – has it never occurred to this kid to get a job, save his/her money and buy a reliable beater for $500?

It’s what we all used to do. If we were lucky, our parents would chip in. If we were luckier still, we’d inherit the old beater from a relative and we’d be *grateful.*

The car would be old, it would be ugly as sin – but as long as it ran, we were happy. A car – any car – that was yours meant *freedom.*

We had to suddenly buy a “new” car for the DH in November because his was becoming a liability – the repairs cost more than the Kelly Blue Book value for the same car in excellent condition.

We wound up with a 5-year-old SUV because the price was right and the payments were affordable. It’s a nice SUV, gets good gas mileage (all things considered), and isn’t our first choice – which would have been waaaaaay over budget. We’re not whining about it – we’re happy and we feel fortunate to be able to pencil in an unexpected car payment.

If we want a statusmobile (Ferrari 458 Italia, I’m looking at YOU!), we’ll save up for one – after we save up to have the house sided, of course : )