Here Comes Peter Cottontail, Hopping Down The Tacky Trail

by admin on April 4, 2013

I heard the story in the following link on the radio while driving to work this morning and thought that it was a good fit for your site:

I’d like to know what the EHell community’s opinions on this story are. Personally, I find the anonymous letter-writer the rudest and tackiest participant of the whole thing. The neighborhood in question is not a condo complex where homeowners have rules about what they can and can’t decorate their property with. Easter decorations seem like an odd thing to cause conflict over. 0403-13

If there are no restrictive covenants delineating what is tasteful exterior house decor, then each homeowner can express their holiday decoration choices in freedom.   With freedom, however, comes a responsibility to act with some restraint and decorum in regards to not offending one’s neighbors.  For instance, I have a strong dislike of Halloween decorations in yards that include dead bodies hanging from nooses in trees, charred bodies and more recently seen by me, infant and child-sized mutilated zombie bodies or skeletons dressed in infant/children’s clothing.  Just incredibly insensitive and gross.

That said, I think homeowner Lori Perron’s choice to retaliate with even more decorations she herself describes as “tacky” is puerile and deliberately intended to inflame further any neighborly angst going on.   It’s one thing to decorate to your tastes and what makes you happy and stand your ground but to add more solely in order to be obnoxious marks her as another drama queen in my opinion.

Carol April 4, 2013 at 7:06 am

While I agree that logically responding with even more tacky decorations was probably not the wisest thing to do, I think this woman was far more hurt by the note than she lets on. You can hear it in her voice on the video when she reads the note.

It wasn’t just someone saying ‘tone down your decorations because we have rules’ or whatever, it was someone actually telling her that she and her family are beneath the calibre of that neighbourhood. The note writer was disparaging her and her family, not just the decorations. Even though the mature thing would have been to just ignore the note and carry on, I think she was too hurt to think that way, and wanted to hurt the note writer back.

Honestly, I really can’t blame her overmuch. As long as she doesn’t continue to bait the note-writer, maybe we can give her a pass for this incident.

Also this should probably be cross-posted to passiveaggressivennotes.com. :)

Lori's Neighbour April 4, 2013 at 7:15 am

There is no “neighbourly angst” we enjoy Lori’s decorations.

Bint April 4, 2013 at 7:19 am

The decorations are the least of it.

The letter writer is a spiteful, cowardly little snob. And stupid. Having ugly decorations up doesn’t mean the neighbourhood is above you – a nasty idea in any case. Neighbourhoods are not ‘above’ anyone; some are just out of some people’s price tag.

However, the woman ‘retaliating’ and running to the papers is just absolutely pathetic. *Now* she’ll ‘go tacky’? She already has. Her attitude is way tackier than the decorations and trashy to boot. A nice way of losing people’s sympathy, by reacting like a spoilt kid.

The decorations are hardly offensive either. Rank, yes. Crossing lines of offensiveness, nowhere near. Both parties need to grow up.

cleosia April 4, 2013 at 7:24 am

I think Lori Perron’s choice to retaliate comes out of the hurt she felt when she received this letter. But by “retaliating,” she IS ratcheting up the angst. I’m assuming that since they’ve been decorating like this for years and never received a complaint before, it’s someone new to the neighborhood.

Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with the decorations that were pictured. They seem relatively tame. You should see the display one of the homeowners a couple of blocks from me does for Halloween. No space on the ground, 1st or 2nd level left unadorned. It’s quite an event!

Lo April 4, 2013 at 7:31 am

After reading this entry and before I clicked on the link I thought to myself, “only in America.”

Then I laughed out loud when I saw this was in Canada. I’m glad we’re off the hook this time.

I’m one of those people who gets a big kick out of tacky lawn decor. Not because I think it’s festive or fun, but because I think it’s funny that they’re so tasteless. I’m bad, I know. Nothing fills me with more joy than a big kitschy holiday display. Or a flock of pink flamingos on a lawn in total non-ironic earnest. High camp is a beautiful thing.

Do homeowners really care that much about this sort of thing? I can see if the neighbors were letting their weeds grow tall or had a bunch of busted cars sitting on the lawn there would be a good reason to complain. But these are just obnoxious cardboard cutouts and similar ilk and they’ll be gone after the holiday. Why not treasure this house in your neighborhood as the one you can either drive by and feel the Easter spirit from or drive by and laugh at? Either way, you win.

Huh April 4, 2013 at 7:33 am

I really dislike people like the decoration-hating letter writer, the mentality of “Because I don’t like it, no one should do it! Because my opinion is the only one that matters!”

There are plenty of things I don’t like. I just don’t go around tell everyone what it is, because WHO CARES? I guarantee if I walked up to decoration-hating letter writer and said, “I don’t like smoking/Botox/etc. and you shouldn’t be doing that” they would be shrieking, “How dare you judge me?”

If the lady wants to tacky it up for Easter or just decorate as usual, who cares? It’s her house.

Sazerac April 4, 2013 at 7:45 am

People seriously need to lighten up. It’s Easter decorations. I saw the picture and nothing there looked tacky or out of place. (This is the price for living in subdivisions, IMO).

That said, the tackiest Christmas decoration I ever saw was a nativity scene in a homeowner’s yard – that itself wasn’t tacky, but the fully-illuminated “blood”-spattered wooden cross standing five feet from the manger scene with the sign “He was born to die for our sins” definitely was. Ugh! I wouldn’t have complained, but I never went by that house again!

Shoegal April 4, 2013 at 7:57 am

I decorate for every holiday. Usually, more inside than out and I do believe that you have the right to decorate in any way you see fit – up to your own personal standards and tastes. I agree that the homeowner should stand her ground and continue to put out her decor. I don’t agree in her decision to purposely add more tacky decorations. No need to do that. Why would she want to marr her lovely home with a vulgar, over the top display?

What I really can’t understand is that the letter writer would take such an interest in the decorating of someone else’s house? They actually took the time to put pen to paper about the matter. Seriously, the letter writer needs to get a life.

Cat April 4, 2013 at 8:06 am

This sort of thing reminds me of the night I was in line at a grocery store when the cashier’s tape ran out and it had to be changed. The man in front of me starting complaining in a loud voice about having to wait;it was so inconvenient; his time was being wasted!
He turned to me and inquired, “Aren’t you upset about this?” and I replied, “My friend found out today that his eighteen year old son has cancer. He has to deal with that. My biggest problem today is that a cashier’s tape has run out, and I have to wait for it to be changed. I am going to stand right here and be happy.”
In other words, put the letter in the trash, decorate with what you intended for the holiday, and live. Everyone is alloted one crazy neighbor and now you know you were not left out.

Serena April 4, 2013 at 8:08 am

The fact that the note was left anonymously is cowardly in the extreme. If it really is *that* kind of neighborhood, said person could have complained to the homeowner’s association and let them sort it out; if no such association exists, then have the wherewithal to leave your name. Furthermore, nothing guarantees that a complaint/suggestion/constructive criticism will fall on deaf ears better than making it personal. An invitation for a cup of coffee where the subject is tactfully and tastefully broached would have been much better. As for the lady’s decision to go uber-tacky in retaliation, that would probably be my knee-jerk reaction as well. Juvenile as it may be, my first thought would be, “Honey, you haven’t seen tacky…yet.”

Yet Another Laura April 4, 2013 at 8:14 am

Funny you should mention pink flamingos, Lo. There’s a business in my area that specializes in covering people’s lawns in pink flamingos. People hire them for birthdays and other occasions in which the honoree wakes up to see pink flamingos everywhere. The deliveries are made in the middle of the night and the flamingos are collected on the following night. Most people get a kick out of it.

I don’t decorate my house, but if my neighbors want to, that’s their business. I’ve got a neighbor whose Christmas decorations include Santa and a sleigh that bleeds over to the next house over (with permission from that neighbor).

The only thing that would get a complaint from me would be bright lights shining in my bedroom at sleeping eye level or music so loud that I can hear it while I’m inside.

abf April 4, 2013 at 8:20 am

Well, I would like to ask the letter writer if this is the worst problem they have to deal with in their life? If so, then they need consider themself lucky. In many areas of this world, neighbors are having to deal with crackhouses, crime, etc. How about putting your efforts to good use? Like sponsoring a neighborhood food drive or volunteering at a homeless shelter.

In our family, there are several “Holiday Yard Decorators.” It may seem tacky to some, but our decorators love what they do and are espcially happy when their decorations have made a child happy. My husband’s uncle always had a huge Christmas Yard display and his greatest joy was to see the children’s faces and to hand out candy canes to the people who stopped by. We didn’t realize what a gift he had given us until he was gone. Although he’s been gone for over 10 years, So many people now comment on how much they loved and now miss his display.

WildIrishRose April 4, 2013 at 8:27 am

What is wrong with people, anyway? Maybe I’m just as tacky as people are saying Lori Perron is, but I would probably have done the same thing she did. How dare ANYONE tell me I’m not good enough for the neighborhood? You haven’t SEEN tacky yet!

I agree with Admin on the shocking and disgusting Halloween decorations, and Sazerac definitely has a point on the cross thing (as a Christian, I find this just weird and sad), but a few plastic eggs and bunnies aren’t hurting anyone and if you don’t like them, don’t look at them. I have neighbors whose yard is filled with cars on blocks (seriously), garbage, broken toys, dog leavings, ad nauseam, so if other neighbors want to put up tacky holiday decorations, I couldn’t care less. I’m with Lo in enjoying those types of things. Whoever this “neighbor” was who wrote the note, maybe he or she needs to move to a neighborhood that has no fun and no soul.

Anastasia April 4, 2013 at 8:32 am

The note was spiteful, and to imply that this lady’s family is “beneath” the rest of the neighborhood is nasty. If the block has a choice between tacky holiday decor ( not that it was that bad) and an anonymous letter writer leaving hatefilled diatribes on people’s doors, I know which I’d choose. Still, retaliation will only inflame things further.

Miss-E April 4, 2013 at 8:34 am

This is one of those times all I can think is “why the heck do you care what someone else does?” How difficult can it possibly be to drive past a house with decorations? If that’s the worse problem that person has, then they are a very lucky human being. There’s no reason for anyone to concern themselves with what someone else puts on their house. The anonymous writer is a busybody who needs to find themselves a hobby.

mstigerlily April 4, 2013 at 8:39 am

I know of cities where people actually compete to have the “tackiest” holiday displays- and I know lots of children who absolutely love them.

This is a blast from the past, but I’m remembering the Fresh Prince of Bel Air episode where Will decorates the mansion to his taste- lots and lots of lights, etc. The snooty neighbors hated it, but in the end, a group of kids came caroling because they thought it was the prettiest home in the town.

Merrilee April 4, 2013 at 8:57 am

I have to say I agree with Carol – I’d have been very hurt and angry and have reacted out of anger to that note. Not so much the complaining about decorations, but the “you don’t belong in our neighborhood” bit. Nothing gets my goat so much as people who are pretentious. That note took some gall.

It’s a good thing the note writer doesn’t live in my neighborhood, either. On Halloween, I always make my front yard a mini haunted place – I have a graveyard with a fog machine, I play scary music on halloween night, and I have some creepy crawly creatures (spider, zombie, ghost) that are motion activated – when we lived in an apartment back in Cali, our unit was the talk of the complex. Everyone I ever encountered told me they admired our holiday spirit and loved the decorations. The kids always get a kick out of it, and the rental office at the complex used to point our unit out to prospective tenants to show them that people who in the complex had a sense of humor/fun side.

I don’t think this woman’s Easter decorations are offensive or over the top, either – she is having fun with some holiday spirit. Unless it directly impacts Old Grump’s property values, Old Grump should leave well enough alone and get on with her life. There are much more dire issues facing us than a couple of light up Easter eggs on someone’s front lawn.

Nikki April 4, 2013 at 9:03 am

I understand where the homeowner was coming from. There was no need to criticize her decor – I certainly didn’t see anything offensive or even terribly “tacky” about them at all. The letter writer went above and beyond, though, by criticizing her entire family personally. The idea that someone isn’t “good enough” to live in a certain neighborhood because of their desire to celebrate holidays in a festive manner isn’t that great – or nice.
So the homeowner’s feelings were hurt, and then she became angry. Should she have “retaliated?” Maybe not. The question is, who did this “retaliation” really hurt? No one. The letter writer was already upset, and would have been no matter what. So the community rallied around the holiday decorations. Now the letter writer knows that s/he doesn’t have the only opinion on the block, and not everyone agrees.
I’m going to have to say that the biggest offender here is the letter writer, not the home owner. Perhaps it is better to keep one’s nose in one’s own business.

Lola April 4, 2013 at 9:05 am

I find it tremendously amusing to drive by and gawk at “those houses” around various holidays. But if I had to live next to them — that might have been another story.

Surianne April 4, 2013 at 9:23 am

I love that she upped the tacky, because I don’t see it as petty retaliation, but her way of making a statement that says “You haven’t crushed our spirit, and you won’t drive us out of here.”

What a nasty letter.

Stacey Frith-Smith April 4, 2013 at 9:25 am

I like Admin’s point about restraint- it’s a good reminder in the culture we live in, where the Center of the Universe is “moi”. I see the letter writer as the rather tacky provocateur here. She has personally attacked a neighbor while hiding behind a veil of anonymity and also while presuming to speak for the community (who may or may not share her views).

Roslyn April 4, 2013 at 9:26 am

I’m in the group that states It’s my house and I’ll decorate as I wish. If you pay your taxes and don’t break any laws then what is the issue? The letter writer is the poor etiquette person in this story. One of those people who have to judge all according to their narrow, ignorant views. They make expensive gated communities for people like that to hide themselves away. The rest of us can have some fun!

What Easter decorations are NOT tacky? They are pastel colors, eggs and cute bunnies. Come ON, after a long winter of drab and grey I look forward to the bright colors of Easter.

AND, the worst I ever saw, was a life size cross with a prop of Jesus on the cross, blood and all. It was 10 feet tall with a sign as big as my car next to it.

mharbourgirl April 4, 2013 at 9:37 am

What’s truly hysterical about this is that this is Dartmouth. I live here. Trust me, folks, there really aren’t any ‘high-class’ neighbourhoods to justify an attitude like the nasty cow who wrote the letter. You have to go out to, say, St. Margaret’s Bay or Glen Arbour to find THAT. And OTT decorating of yards for holidays is extremely common here. This poor woman is not doing anything at all unusual. I’m rather embarrassed on behalf of the letter writer, let me tel you.

Cammie April 4, 2013 at 9:41 am

Anyone watch Trailer Park Boys? That was filmed in/based on Dartmouth.

B April 4, 2013 at 9:53 am

I don’t think Lori is really retaliating. She’s just reveling in the thing that makes her happy, regardless of what the letter writer thinks. And the picture shown is pretty mild.

I don’t decorate for holidays, personally, but I love kitschy stuff. And I like it when my neighbors show some personality!

Bint April 4, 2013 at 9:53 am

“One of those people who have to judge all according to their narrow, ignorant views. They make expensive gated communities for people like that to hide themselves away. The rest of us can have some fun!”

Right, and how is that view of people in gated communities any less narrow and ignorant than the ones you’re decrying? Inverted snobbery is just as ugly as the normal kind.

Magicdomino April 4, 2013 at 9:58 am

Plastic eggs? Little signs with bunnies? Guess I’m tacky too, as I see nothing wrong with the decorations in the photo, as long as it isn’t June. In fact, I wish my neighborhood did more holiday decorating, tacky or otherwise, as it shows enthusiasm and a sense of fun. I can also sympathise with the homeowner’s desire to add more Easter decorations, if not quite agree with it. If I got an anonymous letter stating that my taste in Halloween decorations meant that my family and I are too low-class for the neighborhood, the only preventing me from immediately showing just how low-class my decorations could be is that I have a certain pride in their quality and design. At least, it would slow me down long enough for common sense to get control again.

LadyLelan April 4, 2013 at 10:00 am

Before watching the video, when reading about “tacky Easter decorations”, I was more or less expecting really tasteless paraphernalia, while wondering how it could be applied to Easter; Halloween & Xmas, OK, it can easily get nasty (especially if blood-oozing zombies or headless whatever are involved).

But Easter? Baby colors, cute little bunnies, eggs, and church bells (in France, the tradition is that church bells bring chocolate eggs to hide them in gardens for children to find them)? OK, it can be a little excessively mellow, but tacky?

Apart from that, looking at Lori Perron’s decorations, if THAT is tacky, then I’m the Flying Hamster.
I find them cute, and soft, innocent, and yes, it brought some joy to me while I was watching them.

I totally agree with the decorators in abf’s family: if it can make at least one child happy, then mission is accomplished.

As for me, and to the utmost amusement of my DH who is slightly allergic to them, I’m a big fan of exterior Xmas decorations. OK, they can get very tacky, totally invade a garden which had probably not asked to be illuminated like a 70′s disco club, but if it brings a little oasis of light and happiness in a cold and dark night, I’m all for it.

The person who wrote that note should really get a life. It was spiteful, heinous, and totally uncalled for. What the Perrons do on their premises is their own concern, and as long as it doesn’t infringe any city regulation, noone has the right to tell them off for these. Especially in such a pathetic way.

Cerise April 4, 2013 at 10:02 am

I come from an area known for tacky lawn decorations – pink flamingos, mirror balls, deer and cows made from PVC pipe….year-round. You either become blind to them or chuckle as you drive past. The OP’s display – even the ratcheted-up ‘tacky’ one – would be considered TAME by our standards!

The letter-writer would spontaneously combust if he or she lived in this area. I hope they stay where they are and let the rest of us have our fun.

And I admit – I probably would have responded in the same manner. However, in this area? It’s *really* hard to go over-the-top when over-the-top is the norm. Even our local news will inform you of which displays are worth going to look at : )

I don’t have a problem with seasonal lawn decorations – Halloween cemeteries on front lawns are pretty normal. So are skeletons and witches on broomsticks that look like they flew into a tree. Normal.

The only problem I have is decorations vs bad weather – people, PLEASE take your decorations down during high wind warnings! This past year, I watched a wet ghost (made from a bed-sheet) get ripped from it’s wires and fly across a busy street, where it landed with a loud thwap against a telephone pole – just inches in front of my car! Yikes! After my initial shock, it was pretty funny – but somebody could have been hurt.

So please – bring on the extravagant Christmas displays, the Easter-egg trees, the yards done up in red-white-and blue for the 4th of July, the blue and white Israeli Independence day displays, the giant menorahs, the flashing Cinco de Mayo displays, the overly-huge inflatable turkeys, ye ghosts and ghouls and any other interesting display for any obscure holiday you can think of!

This year, for Doctor Who’s 50th anniversary, our front lawn will be sporting a life-size Tardis cut-out. Right next to the pink flamingo, of course!

Sansa April 4, 2013 at 10:03 am

I got an anonymous letter from a neighbor once. Apparently, our dog barked at some folks walking the street one night and it woke the neighbor up. The line that stuck out the most was this: “Please make alternate living arrangements for your dog. I don’t care to be woken in the night by his barking. Signed, Sleepy Neighbor”. Our dog was 5 years old and had been with us since he was weaned from his mom and he woke the neighbor up once, in 5 years, because people were walking down the subdivsion street in the middle of the night? I knew which neighbor it was because of the way our houses are situated; only 2 neighbors could have heard him and the other neighbor was a good friend who would have no problem telling us if the dog was a nuisance.

On the bottom of the original letter, I wrote “So sorry your sleep was disturbed once in 5 years. I will not be making alternate living arrangements for my dog. Dogs bark at people walking the street in the middle of the night; it’s part of life, get over it. Signed Your Neigbhor, Sansa Smith”. I made a copy, just in case, then put it in their mailbox. They never said another thing.

Politrix April 4, 2013 at 10:09 am

I’m with Surianne — the hostile and anonymous nature of the letter went far beyond an etiquette breach, IMO — it’s borderline harassment, with clear intent to intimidate. The homeowner had every right to approach the local news channels, if not law enforcement officials — and her upping the ante on her decorations, as I see it , wasn’t “retaliatory rudeness,” it was standing up to a bully (which I think, BTW, is why it generated so much outside interest, and made the local news).
Perhaps I’m oversensitive, but here in the U.S., we have an unpleasant history (and still hear stories today) of anonymous letter-writers who try to drive families out of a neighborhood that happen to be the “wrong” religion, the “wrong” color, the “wrong” sexual orientation, etc. etc. I’m glad the homeowner did what she did… she wasn’t rude at all; she was responding positively to something negative, and she even generously offered to sit down over coffee and dinner with the offending party (how on earth is that rude?) and iron out their differences.
BTW, I thought her decorations were cute — and I don’t even celebrate Easter!

Politrix April 4, 2013 at 10:21 am

Something just occurred to me — maybe this was simply a lame attempt at an April Fool’s joke?

Lerah99 April 4, 2013 at 10:25 am

The letter writer has some serious boundary issues.
It’s not your house letter writer! That means you don’t get a say in how it is decorated.

If you want to be the neighborhood aesthetic nazi, move to one of those neighborhoods with an over-bearing home owners’ association. Then you and your fellow “we’re better than everyone else” clones can argue about Fred’s garden hose being black instead of green or Thelma daring to paint her shutters a light blue rather than the approved white or cream.

And the rest of us can live our lives free of such absurd tyranny.

The home owner in this article is wonderful. I’m so glad she decorated with gusto in spite of receiving such a hurtful and personal attack from an anonymous coward.

AMC April 4, 2013 at 10:35 am

Is there anything more gutless and infuriating than an anonymous note? It’s like trolling IRL (in real life). Rather than up the tacky factor, I think the Perrons should have framed the letter and made it part of the lawn decor.

Personally, I love holiday lawn decorations. I think it adds a touch of wimsey to everyday life. I don’t have the money to decorate my house as elaborately as I’d like, but some of my neighbors do, and I can’t help but smile when I drive past their houses.

Allie April 4, 2013 at 10:42 am

Although you were spot on yesterday, I’m afraid I can’t agree with your perspective today, Admin. I’d be more inclined toward your point of view if it were not for three points. First, the letter writer purports to speak for the whole community, which I do not beleive is the case. Most do not share his or her views as evidenced by the outpouring of support the family has received. Second, although Mrs. Perron says she decided to fight back with even more decorations, the display depicted in the newspaper appears neither distasteful nor over-the-top. It’s a few eggs, a mock garden and some lights on the garage. Third, the letter-writer is a colossal snob. Seriously?: “Perhaps you should consider that this area is a step above you.”

I agree with your opinion regarding distasteful Hallowe’en decorations.

ElizabethD April 4, 2013 at 10:45 am

Decorating as usual was certainly in order but purposefully trying to further annoy is just adding to the issue at hand. She’s gone from victim to a par-taker in the conflict.

Ashley April 4, 2013 at 10:57 am

You know, I’m entirely on Lori’s side with this one. And if her decorations are tacky (Because as far as I can tell they are all just normal things you would associate with Easter) then I’m tacky too, because I had the same stuff festooning my apartment and my office. Yes it may have been childish for her to “retaliate” but it’s not like she put anything offensive up.

Like someone else who left a comment (sorry, I can’t locate the comment now to give credit) I read this and thought of that episode of Fresh Prince of Bel Air. I’m sure there are more people in the town who appreciate the “tackiness” than who are offended or upset by it.

It also makes me wonder what the letter writer would say about a particular house in my town that decorates to the extreme for pretty much every holiday except Arbor Day. It’s like the Griswolds but with EVERY holiday. And honestly, people love it. There was a story about them in our local paper once, and they have NEVER gotten a nasty letter in their mailbox, never gotten a complaint from the city, and every Halloween and Christmas they say they get knocks on their door from parents and kids thanking them for bringing a bit more fun into the holiday. There was even a quote from a neighbor saying “They decorate enough for both of us”.

Holiday decorations are one thing I think should be entirely up to the person decorating. As long as there aren’t like, graphic depictions of violence sitting on your front lawn, be as tacky as you want.

KJ April 4, 2013 at 11:03 am

Perhaps she wasn’t retialiating by getting extra tacky. Maybe she had been toning down her decorations before, and the “extra tacky” is really what she wanted to do to begin with.

I say this on behalf of those of us who are tacky, know we are tacky, and try really hard to keep it under control for the benefit of others.

AthenaC April 4, 2013 at 11:12 am

Admin, if I had ever seen such horrifying Halloween decorations as you describe, I would probably share your distaste.

For Easter, though? I have yet to see any gross or disgusting Easter decorations – it’s all about eggs and bunnies and flowers and pastels and spring and all things happy and new life-y. A cross like Sazerac describes would be a bit much even on Good Friday, but it should ABSOLUTELY be gone by the time Easter vigil services start on Saturday, and should never be a part of a Christmas display. Come on – there’s a reason for Lent and there’s also a reason Lent doesn’t last all year.

My point is, if someone is offended by eggs and bunnies and flowers and pastels, etc., they really don’t have a leg to stand on and should be ignored. It’s not like their eyes are being assaulted with some of the more gruesome Halloween decorations. If the offending homeowners want to retaliate to the letter-writer by putting up even MORE eggs and bunnies and flowers and pastels, etc., good for them. It’s not as if they responded by getting snarky or mean in return; I can think of a lot more offensive ways to respond.

Huh April 4, 2013 at 11:38 am

@Cerise, I love the Doctor Who idea!

Calli Arcale April 4, 2013 at 11:39 am

Sansa — in my neighborhood, which is very dog-friendly, we all like that dogs bark at people walking on the streets in the middle of the night. Lets the people know that they have been noticed. We don’t have a lot of crime; at that hour, it’s usually teenagers or young adults being dropped off by friends after a movie or whatnot. But it’s fine to let them know that someone is looking out for them.

Cerise — decorating for November 23? AWESOME! So far, I only have plans pertaining to my extra-long scarf. But now you’ve made me want to decorate the outside of my house too. Pity I don’t have a shed that could be painted blue for the occasion….

sv April 4, 2013 at 11:48 am

I live outside of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, and have my whole life. It’s nice here. People are nice here – and I think that is part of the problem. I am in no way implying that we don’t have our share of inconsiderate jerks that we have to share our neighbourhoods with, but the reason that this letter has gotten so much press is that it is just so out of the ordinary. I would be shocked if the homeowner has ever had to deal with something like this before in her life. I think we can cut her a little slack in deciding to add to her decorations – it is her way of not letting the mean-spiritedness of the letter writer get to her. Hats off to you, Lori.

Another Lisa April 4, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I hardly think comparing pastel-colored eggs and bunnies to mutilated body Halloween decorations is an apt comparison.

The letter-writer is cowardly and snobby. If Easter decorations are all it takes to get him/her all riled up I’d hate to see what they’d do in an actually offensive situation.

Meow April 4, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Carol, I couldn’t agree with more with everything you said.

When Lori said she was going tackier I had visions of homes I’ve seen on the internet that make the Griswalds home at Christmas look dim… but this is a trumped up version of what she normally does, correct? This is nothing! This is cutesy, entirely theme appropriate display for a holiday. I’m not a huge decorator, but I would never begrudge anyone that wants to spend the time and effort to display their joy around any holiday they celebrate.

Whoever wrote that note was just plain mean and spiteful. my heart broke a little for Lori while she was reading it, you could totally hear the hurt in her voice :( glad to see people driving by to support her.

Kovitlac April 4, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I actually love that she decided to strike back a little by posting more decorations. Good for her! It’s not like she’s calling whoever wrote that awful letter childish names, or trying to get their contact info or anything personal. The community (the actual community, and not the likely single-person ‘community’ the letter refers to) seems to be behind her every step of the way, and is in fact cheering her on.

The Elf April 4, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I don’t think this neighborhood is limited to ONE drama queen.

Really, y’all don’t have anything better to do than gripe about your neighbor’s decorations and/or get so worked up about the griping that you go out and do more?

Unless it’s Christmas lights shining so brightly as to disrupt my sleep, I really don’t care about what my neighbors do to decorate (or not) for the holidays.

About Halloween…. Honestly, this is the *one* holiday where tacky, tasteless, funny, weird, gross, morbid, loud, and borderline offensive is celebrated. Yes there are lines, but you’d have to really go crazy on decorations to cross them. That’s why it’s my favorite holiday. Roll with the weird!

lakey April 4, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I have a much bigger problem with the anonymous letter writer than I do with the homeowners response. I know that some people have tacky decorations at holidays, but they are temporary. I know that the administrator, if she were offended by a neighbor’s Halloween decorations, would have the backbone and common decency to have a civil discussion with the neighbor. I respect people who will look you in the eye and tell you honestly how they feel.
The letter writer was a cowardly creep. The homeowner’s response may have been a bit childish, but she couldn’t discuss the issue with the letter writer because the letter writer didn’t have the backbone to speak to her directly. I also find the letter writer’s insinuations that the homeowner is lacking in class ironic, since a person with any class at all would not be reduced to sending an insulting, anonymous letter.

shaw April 4, 2013 at 2:06 pm

It’s nice to see that people still decorate. I am the only one on my street that puts up Christmas lights or Halloween decorations.

The note writer is ignorant and cowardly. To insinuate that the neighbourhood is above the family is unjustifiable.

As for Lori putting up tackier decorations, good. Because she can. In this case it seems like more of a mechanism to cope with the note than anything. Had the letter writer not been anonymous, then I think she would have responded how she would have liked to sans tackier decorations.

Crazy Chicken Lady April 4, 2013 at 2:20 pm

There are many things in my neighbor’s yard that bother me. I hate the rose bush that attracts bees. I hate the Bengals flag, the U of L gnome, etc.
However, I would never dream of saying anything, much less writing an anonymous and mean spirited note to him. It’s his yard and he can do whatever he pleases. And, I’m sure he’s just as irritated by our pink flamingo and Colts flag. :-)
The anonymous letter writer sound like a bitter person. If Ms. Perron would have removed her decorations, who is to say the letter writer wouldn’t start telling her what kind of grass she should have. I think it was lovely of her to invite the person to have coffee with her to work out their differences.

Twik April 4, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Perhaps things have changed since I lived in the area, but Dartmouth was never considered a particularly patrician place where a few bunny and egg decorations would ruin the atmosphere. Perhaps the letterwriter is acting out of a desperate angst that s/he is not living in the south end of Halifax, and is more to be pitied than condemned. Or, actually, more to be laughed at for the airs s/he is putting on.