Update to “Mad Guest And The Tea Party”

by admin on May 8, 2013

My apologies for this update being as late as it was.   (Read original post.) A day or so after the tea party, I discovered I was going to have to move!

Long story short, H turned out to be a non-issue. The problem ended up being a roommate who wanted to run the show.

Basically almost all of my original group from the parties has moved away. I have also moved to a far nicer location, but instead of having my own place as I had before I now had four roommates to consider. Considering we all love dressing up, convincing them to help host the party was pretty simple. They all giggled girlishly and got very, very excited. We agreed upon three people to invite per roommate so that we could keep the party to about 20 or so people (three people each times five of us equals 15 guests plus us). I printed up the invitations and they went out.

Because none of my original friends would be able to even consider attending (the one friend still within a reasonable distance would be in New York attending a job interview), I invited two relatively new friends and my sister. H would never even hear of the details because no one she had contact with would know them. Perfect! (It did not stop her from sending an additional twelve emails. Thanks to your advice, E-Hell folks, the only email that was answered was the one that contained a relatively harmless virus – one that appears to try and skim addresses and such from browser histories – and that was done by the authorities. H will not be bothering me again anytime soon. You’d think she’d be smart enough to avoid sending the computer science grad a virus.)

So when my roommate C decided that she didn’t like the idea of a tea party, I was a little thrown.

There are a few things you should probably know about C. C is That Roommate. You know, that one roommate everyone is cursed to wind up with at least once in their lives. Guess it was finally my turn!

C is about 30-ish. She works retail, and is hugely in debt because she always seems to get what she wants. She wanted a new car, she got it. She wants new clothing, she goes and gets it. She’s remarkably entitled, but she’d managed to keep this little trait under wraps for quite awhile.

Right before I moved, I discovered that she was the one stealing my food (I did deal with this little issue – and it didn’t involve laxative. It may or may not, however, have involved fermented cabbage juice in a batch of butter cookies. I really couldn’t say ::goes off to practice whistling::).

As a roommate, she is a royal pain in the tushie. We started to realize that she was nowhere near as nice as she made herself out to be during the party planning.

“I’d rather it be a salsa dancing party. We could invite boys,” she said. The other roommates and I vetoed her suggestion. This was a ladies-only tea party. If she wanted a salsa dancing party, she could throw one herself. This was not it.

Later, C said that she wanted to invite four more friends because “I don’t get to have the party I want.” We all told her no.

Eventually, after C attempted to figure out who we’d all invited and contact them to say the party was cancelled (total lie), we, as a group, asked C to bow out of the party and not come the day of. C huffed and said she couldn’t be there anyway because she had to work. Fine. Whatever, C.

Fortunately, C did stay away for the party. The entire affair was a success, with the guests (and remaining hosts) the epitome of etiquette. The food was delicious, the iced peach tea was wonderful, and the gift of homemade blueberry jam from a family friend made the scones perfection.

All in all, C drama aside, it was a wonderful day. And now, we know exactly what C is, and how to deal with her. 0502-13

psyche May 8, 2013 at 6:22 am

I’m guessing C was mad she wasn’t getting her way for once.

Lo May 8, 2013 at 6:51 am

You live with four other women!? Girrrrrl, you must have nerves of steel!

Well good on you for dealing with C that way and getting together to ask her not to come after she tried to sabotage it! What a pain to have to live with someone like that. It’s nice that your other roommates were on board. It’s always great to co-host with roommates and friends.

I love the fermented cabbage juice idea. That’s actually quite healthy. So long as you know there’s no allergy or digestive issue with greens then I guess it’s the safest way to prevent stealing.

Abby May 8, 2013 at 7:23 am

C sounds absolutely awful, but how did you get away with asking someone to stay out of their own house? Did you refund her rent for the day?

SFL May 8, 2013 at 7:37 am

” We could invite boys,” she said. Are you sure she is 30-ish and not 13-ish? Good gracious!

Regardless of her actions, I am pleased the party was a success and that you have the ammunition to deal with her.

jch May 8, 2013 at 8:25 am

I’m glad that your party was successful, too, and I love that you are keeping up a nice, “mannerly” tradition. Glad, too, that the entitled roommate didn’t get her way. Sounds like a lesson she needed to learn.

But I’m curious — am I really the only one who thinks the cabbage juice thing was not the most appropriate way of dealing with the food stealing issue? I’m sorry, but it seems beneath someone who clearly believes in dealing with life with good etiquette and manners…why not just confront the issue directly? Or, suggest all roommates have their own bins in the fridge for their food, etc. Even set up a camera to catch her in the act for proof if you need to…but to sabotage a food item in a way that could possibly make someone physically ill seems an immature response.
Just my two cents, fwiw…

Cara May 8, 2013 at 8:40 am

Fermented cabbage juice. Brilliant! Glad to hear you were able to host another tea party without letting rude boors get you down. You sound like a wonderful host.

Melissa May 8, 2013 at 9:05 am

this tea party seems to be cursed…..

The Elf May 8, 2013 at 9:50 am

THAT roommate. There’s always one. This will not be the last time you have trouble with C. Knowing exactly what she is and having a successful strategy of dealing with her (and a united front) will help, but she will be a problem up until she moves out or you do.

Cat May 8, 2013 at 10:14 am

I rejoice that the party worked out as you wanted. Tea parties are a passing art and it is important to maintain the tradition.
I, too, had one roomie from Hell in my salad days. She stole personal items (my razor, food, and one roomie caught her wearing her bra!). I’d consider replacing her with someone else. It won’t get better.

Bibianne May 8, 2013 at 10:32 am

I am still laughing about the fermented cabbage juice… You go , girl!

Angel May 8, 2013 at 10:42 am

Glad everything worked out. At least you found out about a bad roommate sooner rather than later. Luckily the other roommates are on your side or else you would have an even bigger problem.

I hope that you confronted her about taking your food before you resorted to cabbage juice. Talk about gross. :(

Annie May 8, 2013 at 10:46 am

@jch: “…why not just confront the issue directly? Or, suggest all roommates have their own bins in the fridge for their food, etc.”

C didn’t live for 30 years without learning that it’s wrong to steal. Telling her again won’t do any good. I think the cabbage juice strategy is just the lesson she needed.

Rap May 8, 2013 at 11:07 am

I’d be careful with the cabbage juice idea. kYes, stealing is wrong, but intentionally salting the food with something that causes any sort of health issue is actually a form of assault. Yes, C didn’t live for 30 years without learning not to steal – but adults use their words first, before resulting to tussling, and I am pretty sure the OP has lived long enough to know its wrong to poison people.

NostalgicGal May 8, 2013 at 11:10 am

@ Jeh and Angel…

There are some that if you catch them blatantly with proof and witnesses that would hold up at the US Supreme Court, they will deny it flatly at best and at worst ‘promise to never do it again’ and will do it as soon as they are able to. And probably escalate.

Fermented Cabbage Juice in butter cookies sounds like a very mild way to back up and get it across about changing some Standard Operating Procedures on the part of C.

Glad OP, that the party happened and went off well without problems.

Let us know if C gets her salsa party with boys….

Kate May 8, 2013 at 11:23 am

I agree with Annie about the cabbage juice. Really, not everyone has access to spy gear. Like a tiny camera, small enough to be hidden, with enough battery power to record for hours, perhaps even days, to provide proof that someone is stealing food, that can even has night vision, to catch nightime snackers/food thieves.

Not likely I think! Especially when, it could be every few weeks that food is stolen. Part of the whole cabbage juice thing is that it (when put in tempting food) causes the thief to act, punishes them physically, and scares them by reminding them that the person who cooks the food, whose food they are stealing, can do it again at any time. And is the embarrassment and discomfort worth the food? In all likelihood no! As well, it might be hard to prove that the person captured on camera is a particular roommate, especially if any two of them look alike. Or if the light is bad or the refrigerator door blocks them from view.

The OP’s choice wasn’t about childishness or cruelty. It was about what was practical, readily available, and most effective.

Moralia May 8, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Fermented cabbage juice. That’s pretty brilliant! It’s not harmful, just really nasty to the tastebuds. Kind of like my nuclear-fudge. I make fudge with pepper extract which explodes like napalm with the dark-chocolatey goodness. I took some to work to share with my like-minded co-workers — I warned our wimpy office-mates, but didn’t label the container.
My goodness was the heretofore mysterious food thief from another department bent out of shape! We’d had told him if he’d asked…

padua May 8, 2013 at 1:27 pm

“Thanks to your advice, E-Hell folks, the only email that was answered was the one that contained a relatively harmless virus – one that appears to try and skim addresses and such from browser histories – and that was done by the authorities. H will not be bothering me again anytime soon. You’d think she’d be smart enough to avoid sending the computer science grad a virus.)”

are you sure this was malicious? this has happened to many friends of mine- in fact, i know few people savvy enough to do this intentionally.

OP May 8, 2013 at 2:03 pm

So the fermented cabbage juice thing… I have RA, so I keep cabbage juice around and drink about a cup a day since it’s good for the joints. I accidentally missed that I already had a jar in the back of the fridge and it went sorta funny. Still good (this stuff can ferment for a week or so and still be healthy and safe for consumption), but it tastes awful.

Yes, I did confront C repeatedly about her stealing. She said, and I quote, “So what? You have plenty more food left.” If I tell you to knock it off and you decide to keep doing it, I will not be held responsible for my actions. Laxative can be dangerous for some, dyes can leave huge messes everywhere and can get into clothing (someone online told me to try blue food dye in a pan of brownies), so I decided to use the cabbage juice instead of milk in a butter cookie recipe. I put them in my cookie jar, in my part of the pantry. They are now clearly “off limits.”

She and her boyfriend took the entire jar down to her bedroom and came up cursing. I told her not to steal my stuff again. She got the hint.

Julia May 8, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Lo – that’s a pretty hurtful comment. Can we not perpetuate the myth that women are more “difficult” than men?

Library Diva May 8, 2013 at 2:27 pm

The cabbage juice is brilliant! It’s hardly poison, it just tastes unpleasant, and it gets the message across in a way that direct confrontation probably would not do. Anyone brazen enough to steal their roommate’s goodies probably has a whole host of justifications lined up: “But I didn’t think you would eat it;” “It wasn’t labeled;” “I confused it with my own;” “I always mop the floor/do the dishes/vaccuum/dust, this is my repayment” etc. etc. The cabbage juice is a terrific and effective deterrent.

Just Me May 8, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Frankly she wouldn’t have to worry about eating odd substances in her food if she ate her own food, and didn’t steal others. No stealing food = no fermented cabbage juice. Hope she learned her lesson.

Ergala May 8, 2013 at 3:16 pm

@Abby I’ve had roommates and we had shooed each other away for a day or a few hours. When we’ve had family come for a visit usually the others would make themselves scarce so we had more privacy. I see nothing wrong with asking someone who is being absolutely miserable about something to not be around for that event. Why on earth would she get a rent refund for a few hours of not being home?

The Elf May 8, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Count me in the “totally ok with the cabbage juice” category. They spoke of it openly and politely first. It was not something potentially harmful or a known allergen. It got the point across.

Rap May 8, 2013 at 4:03 pm

“Yes, I did confront C repeatedly about her stealing. She said, and I quote, “So what? You have plenty more food left.””

And you didn’t go to your landlord? Or suggest she move out?

“If I tell you to knock it off and you decide to keep doing it, I will not be held responsible for my actions.”

This just makes me question whether all the problems you’ve have with various people are entirely because you’re the innocent party. Look, if you think this is acceptable, I certainly can’t stop you or prevent people from hi-fiving you, but intentionally setting a trap that involves tricking someone into eating something gross can backfire badly… no matter what your intentions are.

And I am not endorsing C’s behavior in the slightest, I’m pointing out that there’s better ways to handle it than a form of assault. One warning and BOOM, you’re not responsible for your actions – that could end badly for *you*, OP. That’s all.

Yasuragi May 8, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I’ve been lucky enough to have never been in a situation where there was one awful roommate in a group share house.

What are the options in that situation? Can others vote to compel the roommate to move out? Do you have to wait until the lease runs out? Was there any sort of Code of Conduct the roommate agreed to that would be grounds for asking her to leave?

Lo May 8, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Julia – I’m sorry you took offense, I meant to be funny. As a woman who doesn’t particularly enjoy the company of other women I do find them more difficult. No spite intended towards those who prefer female companionship. My husband would say the same thing about men.

Fleury May 8, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I think the key with the cabbage juice is that OP put it in HER cookies in HER part of the pantry. If ‘C’ hadn’t stolen the cookies, she never would have had an issue. If you steal a car you can’t complain that the owner didn’t fill it up with gas for you. Maybe it wasn’t the nicest thing for OP to do when she was pretty sure C would eat them, but she clearly wasn’t going to stop otherwise with her entitled behaviour.

rosie May 8, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I couldn’t even finish reading your post. I usually like E-Hell, but this was too much drama over really nothing. Thank God you made your room-mate sick with some fermented cabbage, good for you (sarcasm dripping.) Now grow up, join the adult world, learn to deal, and get some perspective on life. People will cross your path in life that annoy you; get a grip and figure out how to deal with it.

Auryn Grigori May 8, 2013 at 9:12 pm

If it just makes the food taste “bad,” and is not in any way harmful, I do not see what the OP did as a problem, much less assault. My SO used to have a roommate that continually stole his Orange Juice. He overheard one day that his roommate hated Orange Juice with Calcium, and started buying Orange Juice with Calcium. Boom, problem solved.

The roommate chose to steal the food. The OP did not force her to eat it, and she did not put something that would make the roommate ill or that she was allergic to, just something that would gross the roommate out.

Jenn50 May 8, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I must be missing something, not knowing much about fermented cabbage juice, but everything I can find about it on the web is simply touting the health benefits. Does it taste objectionable? Cause gastric issues? I don’t understand how anyone could think it’s so awful to put it in their own food, even if you knew someone else was likely to consume it. It’s not, that I can see, toxic, or medicinal. If you wish to be certain of what you’re eating, you shouldn’t steal other people’s food. It’s not assault to prepare your food in a way others don’t expect, especially if you weren’t offering it for their consumption.

Margaret May 8, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I’m pretty sure that telling someone to STOP STEALING YOUR FOOD and then keeping your food in your own clearly marked, off limits to roommate food storage areas is not the same as tricking them into eating your food. In fact, it’s almost the total opposite.

Bee May 8, 2013 at 10:47 pm

@Rap – Have you ever tried to kick someone out of a shared apartment/house? Most places, everyone’s name is on the lease, which unfortunately makes kicking someone out impossible. I once had a roommate while I was in school who stole $200 and almost all of my glassware/cutlery/cookery — and culminated in them stealing and defacing the Internet router and cables because the account was in my name. Even filing a report with the police, where there was documented evidence, was not enough for the landlord to kick this person out, under the law. I was the one that wound up scrambling to move.

Anonymous May 8, 2013 at 11:05 pm

I don’t quite “get” the cabbage juice thing either–not because I think it was too harsh, but because it required the OP to ruin an entire batch of cookies just to teach C a lesson. Besides, what if one of her other roommates asked if they could have a cookie? That’d take some explaining, if the answer normally would have been “yes,” but this time, it had to be “no” because these were actually trick cookies designed to cure C of her kleptomaniac ways. It’d be even harder to have that conversation if C was in the room. So, if it was me, I’d probably just move my cookie jar into my bedroom. As for everything else, I agree–C sounds like a piece of work. Stealing food, wrecking everyone else’s tea party–seriously, who does that?

Rap May 8, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Yes Bee, I have, and its partly why I don’t have a roommate. Yes, I know it can be difficult, yes I know sometimes the person who is wronged ends up being the one to move.

But at the end of the day, what I am saying here is that tricking someone into eating something vile – no matter that they are stealing – can get you into *legal* trouble if anything goes wrong. I mean, you can argue “nothing bad would have happened if she didn’t steal from me” all you want, but if you make a batch of tainted cookies expressly to entrap your roommate in a lie, and she chokes or has an allergic reaction, no one is going to care how stealing cookies is wrong. Technically, using your own urine instead of water in a recipe won’t kill anyone but I doubt you’d be high fiving me for teaching the lesson to a food thief in that way. As the OP describes it, she used the “fermented” cabbage juice because she found it in the back of the fridge and it “went sorta funny”, and used it after contemplating laxatives and food dye. So it wasn’t an accident, no matter how she tee hees and pats herself on the back, and if her roommate had any sort of serious reaction to eating the cookies that were intentionally made with tainted food items, it would be considered a form of assault. I’m sorry you think I’m being an unreasonable bore on this topic – but if anything had happened beyond anger and annoyance with this trick, the OP would be in serious legal trouble, not the cookie stealing thief.

Margaret – I completely agree that C has no right to steal. But the OP made the cookies with a foul ingrediant for no reason other than to have C be taught a lesson. It was her intent for C to eat something foul. If the cookies had caused any sort of physical damage (and the OP has some awareness of this since she decided against lacing her cookies with laxatives or food dye) the first thing the medical people and police will ask is “where did the cookies come from” and the second question would be “what’s in them?”. The third question would be “why did you put rotten cabbage juice in your cookies that C stole” – and the answer here is that OP made the cookies with a foul ingrediant expressly so C would steal them and learn a lesson. Its a form of assault.

JeanLouiseFinch May 9, 2013 at 12:42 am

I think C is lucky the OP did not choose to solve the stealing with X-Lax. I surely would have considered doing so, particularly if someone has been told not to take food and then appropriates an entire jar of cookies! It would not be assault on my part, it would be assumption of the risk on her part. I guess I have a different perspective on this since I am diabetic and used to hate it when someone stole my lunch at work. A couple of times, I had already taken my insulin shot and when I went looking for my bag of lunch only to find it gone. On those occasions, I was forced to drink a Coke for lunch, which was all they had in the vending machine. Otherwise I would have gone into insulin shock, but by the end of the day I was always really hungry and my sugar was lower than was comfortable. After that, I got a small refrigerator for my office (better for storing insulin in anyway.)
People need to think about what happens when you don’t have the food you might be counting on.

NostalgicGal May 9, 2013 at 2:12 am

“Trap C into eating tainted cookies”

The facts are: the OP had confronted C about taking her own clearly marked food and C basically said buzz off I’ll eat it if I want to.

That is theft.

Cabbage juice in cookies is going to taste bad. It would have the chance of killing someone ranking up there with a reaction to a bee sting or ant bite… very very small. I’m sure there is someone somewhere out there that has a reaction to cabbage. Odds are pretty miniscule.

Said cookies were made by OP and stored in OP’s ‘stuff’ that was marked.

C could have choked on them and had a real problem whether they were laced cookies or regular cookies.

You’ve not been in this situation with a roomie or a coworker swiping your food if you think this is so abhorrently bad. I worked at a place where peoples (turned out to be more than one) decided anything foodish in my desk was theirs, and would tamper with my lunch if nothing else. Anything snack was forfeit. I had no choice but to bring in factory sealed stuff that was obvious if it was opened, or go out to buy my lunch. And we had two shifts and I suffered the petty of one of the day shift (my normal work schedule) making exlax brownies for the evening shift (I worked OT a lot and was on good terms with the evening shift) and was offered some… I did spend a day OFF as I reacted badly. They did catch that one and that was a termination… they had sickened about 20 people. (the brownies were marked as from a Day shifter TO the Evening shift, so not like these were ‘taken’)

I noticed too that the OP moved shortly after the party and apparently no longer has to deal with C.

Would it have been as objectionable if it had been say, garlic chocolate chip cookies? I’ve heard of that one too to cure a food thief…

Raymee May 9, 2013 at 2:17 am

People need to be careful when spiking their own food to catch thieves-

“A MET detective poisoned a colleague by spiking a drink with screenwash in a bid to catch a thief, it is being claimed.
Child abuse investigator [Name] is said to have put the potentially deadly liquid into a Lucozade bottle because he suspected a workmate was stealing his drinks.
A fellow Met detective constable collapsed and was rushed to hospital after apparently taking it from a work fridge and having a gulp without realising.
He fully recovered and [Name], 46, was charged with administering a noxious substance. He is due at S******* Crown Court in March after appearing before W******* magistrates last week.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4737811/Detective-poisons-Met-cop-by-putting-screenwash-in-drink.html#ixzz2SmFHdbm8

Auryn Grigori May 9, 2013 at 2:25 am

OP can say that she was just testing a recipe for cabbage cookies:

Not to mention drinking fermented cabbage juice is actually recommended:

If the juice was something that the OP was drinking despite the taste, then it is not as if it was harmful. And if the room mate was stealing her food, there was not a worry of an allergen or a bad reaction. When you steal from someone and consume it, you assume a risk. Most people who are allergic do not steal random peoples food, because they don’t know what they are getting.

Are you telling me that if the OP knew that the room mate hated lemon cookies, made lemon cookies without telling the room mate, and the room mate stole and ate the lemon cookies, she would have gotten in trouble for “tainting” the cookies?

Auryn Grigori May 9, 2013 at 2:41 am

And just to make it clear, I don’t find what the OP did polite, nice, mature, or praiseworthy in any way. I am saying that sometime, people do act out in bad ways if we feel we are treated badly.

Kali May 9, 2013 at 6:47 am

“The third question would be “why did you put rotten cabbage juice in your cookies that C stole” – and the answer here is that OP made the cookies with a foul ingrediant expressly so C would steal them and learn a lesson. Its a form of assault.”

What an interesting assumption, that the police would assume that the OP expected C to eat items that were clearly not for her consumption, and that the OP is somehow responsible for this. Would you have the same reaction if the cookies had been hot chocolate snickerdoodles (the recipe for which includes cayenne pepper)? The OP has a right to use whatever ingredients she likes in food which is intended for her personal consumption.

Anonymous May 9, 2013 at 7:14 am

@Rap–Good point. Also, I have to ask, why food dye? It wouldn’t make the cookies/brownies/whatever taste any different; they’d just be a funny colour. All that would accomplish is, C would open the cookie jar, see that the cookies are blue, or green, or whatever colour that cookies aren’t supposed to be, and put them back.

Lisa May 9, 2013 at 7:21 am

Rosie took the words out of my mouth. It seems like you need to have someone you can complain about, possibly to strenghten your bond with others. If you want to grow as a human being, you need to carefully examine your motivations (and the integrity) behind this post, and the other one. Because you are badmouthing and thrashing the character, motivations and actions of others so much, it seems as if you might have exagerrated a little in both cases, in order to get people to side with you.
If not – and that’s entirely possible- then still perhaps examine why you wish to get your friends to tear down someone else in your circle with you, and need conformation from a website full of strangers that these two seperate people in your life are indeed horrible. Honest now.

SS May 9, 2013 at 7:59 am

The OP put an abnormal food item into a recipe she made. She did not put medicine, or any dangerous chemical into the food to make it harmful. People are getting riled about “what if the person had an allergic reaction…”. If someone has allergies to food, they aren’t going to be stealing and eating food that someone else made since they won’t know what is in it in the first place, even under normal ‘untampered’ recipes. Many recipes use applesauce or prunes instead of sugars. Was she obligated to stick to an unimaginative recipe for her own food just in case her roommate stole some of that food just in case she was allergic to prunes or apples? I have a chocolate cake recipe that uses zuchinni. Using a fermented cabbage is adding vinegar and a veggie. If you have an allergy to either one then you would be at risk even under normal recipes. Nasty flavor won’t harm you.

Rap May 9, 2013 at 8:31 am

“I think C is lucky the OP did not choose to solve the stealing with X-Lax. I surely would have considered doing so, particularly if someone has been told not to take food and then appropriates an entire jar of cookies! It would not be assault on my part, it would be assumption of the risk on her part.”

If the cookies injure someone, its assault on your part. Particularly if you acknowledge you made the cookies to teach someone a lesson. Don’t believe me, try it out and see where it lands you. I’m genuinely stunned that people think this is an acceptable way to handle a problem.

The cabbage juice thing is at least a food ingrediant. Try explaining to a judge that you tossed a box of Ex-lax or any other obvious non food item into your cookies to teach someone a lesson and had no idea it could backfire. I mean really, where’s the line? If you bake cookies with rat poison and the roommates steals them and dies, do you really think you’re not in trouble for setting the trap?

Lychii May 9, 2013 at 8:38 am

I’m supporting OP and her fermented cabbage juice. People who steal/damage the property of others and when caught act all “What’s the big deal? Why are you so worked up about it?” are scum.

OP didn’t do anything wrong, and it’s very unlikely something truly bad could have happened to C from eating those cookies. There was no other solution, as C ignored and laughed off civilized requests. OP did good.

Goldie May 9, 2013 at 9:09 am

Fermented cabbage juice actually does have a lot of health benefits, so good for C to have partaken of some. To the comments asking “what if C was allergic”. If C was allergic to ANY food her roommates ate, she could’ve gotten sick from any of it, because apparently she’d been stealing other people’s food left and right. What are the roommates supposed to do in this situation, ask the food thief if she has any allergies and dietary restrictions, and only buy the food for themselves that complies to those, so poor C doesn’t get sick should she steal some?

Politrix May 9, 2013 at 9:36 am

I’m with Lisa and Rosie. My first reaction to this looooong post was “tl;dr”… really, all the unnecessary details about “C” and her “issues” raises a red flag for me — perhaps YOU need to do some self-assessment as well, OP. It seems as though you enjoy searching for character flaws in others, and blowing up minor conflicts to biblical proportions. (Does it really matter if your roommate wanted to “invite boys” or throw a salsa dance party?)
On the other hand, I find the arguments for/against spiking the cookies with cabbage juice very interesting and thought-provoking. This post could have been a lot shorter — and a lot less obnoxious — had the OP simply gone with that angle of the story, and asked for readers’ feedback on that point alone.

gramma dishes May 9, 2013 at 9:47 am

I thought the OP’s creative use of the cabbage juice was nothing short of genius! It IS a food, not a medicine or a poison. It would not be harmful in any way (as the Exlax alternative would have been).

The only thing it did was make the cookies taste terrible. Making something that tastes bad is not a criminal offense.

Rap May 9, 2013 at 9:51 am

Food dye, I’ve heard, can change the color of your eliminations.

SS – You’re arguing it was just an unusual recipe when the OP is clearly stating she used something off (she even says “it went sorta funny”) from the back of her fridge. It wasn’t an accident so lets not pretend the OP wasn’t delighting in telling us how she dealt with the theft by making tainted cookies and was somehow just baking something unusual. Like I said earlier, I can’t stop any of you from doing this but I will point out that two wrongs don’t make a right, and this particular sort of prank can get you into serious legal trouble. Don’t believe me if you like.

Goldie May 9, 2013 at 10:02 am

@ Politrix: ” It seems as though you enjoy searching for character flaws in others, and blowing up minor conflicts to biblical proportions. (Does it really matter if your roommate wanted to “invite boys” or throw a salsa dance party?)”

Yes. Yes, it matters, because they were co-hosting a party together (along with three other roommates) and C, after originally agreeing to the party, was sabotaging the co-hosting work of four other people. Let’s say you ask four women to co-host a girls-only party. All four agree. As the five of you start planning, however, one of your co-hosts tries to invite men to a girls only party. When told no, she then tries to invite extra people, which would put the party over your hosting capacity. When told no to that, she calls every guest the four of you have already invited and lies to them about the party being canceled! How on earth is this minor conflict? Would you consider it a minor conflict if you invited your friends to your house and then none of them showed up, because your roommate had called each of them separately and told them you’d canceled the event (since this is what C was trying to accomplish)? I know I’d be livid. Maybe I have issues, too. C sounds like a terrible roommate, plain and simple.