Taking Up A Boatload Of Parking Spaces

by admin on May 20, 2013

I have a quick submission for you, I’m curious to see if I’m overreacting at all. This afternoon someone I work with sent the following company-wide e-mail:

Bringing my boat tomorrow and need 10 spaces on the far west end on the front row of the back lot.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Have a great day!

I appreciate the senders addition of “thank you” and “have a great day” but I feel the first sentence is quite rude. Parking spaces are always at a premium here, and this isn’t stated as a polite request but rather as a statement of fact, that this is what’s going to happen. Additionally, this is not for a work-related need, and he did not seek approval from any manager or authority prior to sending the message.

Several coworkers of mine contacted me (unsolicited) and agreed that they find the e-mail rude, but they’re not bothered by it because the sender is very commonly associated with this type of behavior. I’m not making a big stink out of this at work or anything, but I was curious to get the opinion of you and your readers on both the e-mail as well as the idea of excusing someone’s behavior because that’s “just how they are”. 0423-13

Lex May 20, 2013 at 3:01 am

Regardless of whether or not this is rude, when monopolising company resources, said employee is obligated to clear this with someone in authority (assuming he did not already – said employee is not obligated to explain his actions in this email). If parking is at a premium it is likely that his managers will tell him to park elsewhere – why does he need to bring a boat to work for it to sit in the car park all day? (This is a rhetorical question here). 10 spaces is a LOT. Yes it is rude of him to assume although to me the email reads like a statement of fact ‘I’m bringing my boat, I need the spaces’. Perhaps it could have been phrased better (‘Due to unforeseen circumstances I need these 10 parking spaces tomorrow etc etc’). I think far too much emphasis is put on the content of work emails – people are far too quick to be upset or offended. Ultimately, if the email contains an instruction written in a professionally acceptable manner (no profanities etc) then it is work appropriate.

If you really feel that strongly and believe that his use of 10 parking spaces for his boat will directly impact on you and your ability to attend work (i.e. Do you start later in the day and envisage difficulty parking for example?), mention it to your line manager. If this does not directly impact you (i.e. you arrive before him) then it is not your issue to resolve. People that are directly affected should raise their concerns via the appropriate channels and people unaffected should stay out of it – it is not your responsibility. Don’t put yourself in the firing line by getting involved in something that is not your responsibility.

Margo May 20, 2013 at 5:47 am

I think it comes over as rude, in the way it is written and in the assumption that his “need” for 10 spaces should take precedence over the needs of other workers. If parking is at a premium so that his talking up spaces will mean that others can’t park at all, I would see it as very rude, and if it were likely to affect me I would raise it with my line manager or with HR as appropriate to ask whether they could speak to him and make it clear that he could not use the car park in this way.

If there is enough space but the specific area he is seeking to reserve is closer / more convenient to the the office then again I might speak to HR to suggest that they tell him to park at the far end of the car park (or wherever would be least obstructive)

It would have been better if he had worded the e-mail as something like

“I have to tow my boat in tomorrow. It’s [size of boat] so will take up around 10 spaces. I plan to park in [furthest corner ./ least used area of carpark] and would be grateful if 10 spaces together could be left free in that area so I can get in.

If it doesn’t directly impact you then I would not raise it but if the issue came up I would encourage coworkers who are affected to speak to HR.

Unless you are a close colleague or friend of his I would not raise it with him directly. If he was a close friend I would probably respond with something like “Friend, have you checked with management that this is OK? It sounds as though it’s going to cause a lot of problems as it will mean people can’t park to get to work – I’d suggest you clear it with Boss, to cover your back”

Isabella May 20, 2013 at 5:49 am

Exactly what Lex stated. The rudeness is not in the email – the email itself is a statement of fact.

I’m curious how the OP knows that the sender didn’t seek approval to send the email. Did s/he ask all authority figures within the company? If it is true that no one approved the email, in most companies, the situation will handle itself and he will be given quite the verbal lashing for using the company wide email without prior approval.

In most premium parking situations; it’s that the building’s approved parking is low – something that needs to be addressed by management- but that there is additional parking available – you just need to either a) walk a bit further or b)pay for it. Where I work, if you arrive after 9 am, you will be subject to parking two miles away (seriously) and taking a shuttle in. It’s a pain but we can’t change our current parking lot due to legal restrictions. Otherwise, we’d build a parking garage.

If his taking up space affects you, simply ask a supervisor if there isn’t another place either a) this individual can put the boat or b) be asked to not bring the boat at all.

Allie May 20, 2013 at 6:03 am

Entitled as hell. Or should I say e-hell? I would not bother to accede to his request. If he wants 10 parking spaces, he can arrive early before anyone else gets there. If, that is, he is rude enough to put his own needs ahead of everyone else and inconvenience his co-workers and others who use the lot. It is then up to the owner of the lot to object and ask him to remove the boat.

startruck May 20, 2013 at 6:45 am

i think everyone should make it a point to get to work extra early .

E May 20, 2013 at 6:54 am

As a fellow boat-owner, there is something strange about this request. It’s hard to imagine how a boat pulled by a car or truck could come close to filling 10 parking spaces. When we’re towing ours (it’s a 21′ boat pulled by a full-sized pickup truck), we usually take up 2 spaces end-to-end. We do stick out the back a bit, but usually we park near the back of an underutilized parking lot, and its fine. But even the largest boats that one could pull down the road wouldn’t be tons larger.

I actually think this request is a bit rude because it essentially asks the man’s coworkers to inconvenience themselves for his sake. Why doesn’t he just make sure to show up to work early so he can secure the spots? Why do they have to be in the first row?? Despite this request, I think it’s very likely that the workers will ignore it, especially if its a large workplace where people don’t know each other. In most of the places I’ve worked, he’d have to cone them off the night before to have any hope of keeping those spots free.

Lady May 20, 2013 at 7:31 am

I’ve run into this before and truly don’t understand how otherwise rational people could allow people to act in ways inconsistent with rules, norms, and etiquette in the workplace. I was also told, “that’s just how she is” about an employee who’s idea of a normal day was spending 4+ hours on personal calls with her adult son about his divorce in progress. When I addressed it with her (asking her to take personal calls in the cafeteria) because it was disrupting the team I managed, she looked at me like I had two heads. From that point on her behavior got worse, so I addressed it with her manager. Ultimately, the situation escalated to where I had to file a police report because she sped up to buzz ne with her car while I was crossing the parking lot. Not saying my situation is the same as OP’s, but illustrates why people go the easy route and don’t call others out for their selfish and bizarre behavior.

AMC May 20, 2013 at 7:36 am

I don’t think this could be made better by a different phrasing in the email. He is taking up parking space that is supposed to be reserved for employees and perhaps clients, without a business purpose. This is rude and unprofessional and should be addressed by a manager and/or HR. I would forward the email to your direct supervisor if they are not already aware of the situation.

And, no, ‘that’s just how he is’ is not an excuse for rude behavior.

KarenK May 20, 2013 at 9:09 am

I’d just come to work and park as I normally would. I would not go out of my way to park in these particular slots.

And I despise excusing behavior because “that’s how he/she is.” He or she is like this because people let them get away with the behavior.

Phoebe161 May 20, 2013 at 9:28 am

I work at a large university, where parking is a BIG issue. Many people here informally refer to our expensive parking permit as a “hunting permit” — a permit to hunt for a parking space, so those who feel entitlement will feel the wrath of those who can’t find a parking space. Luckily, we just call Parking & have them deal with it. I have no problem with flagrant violators getting tickets, “booted,” and/or towed.

Altho Lex made a good point about what is and what isn’t your responsibility; however, this parking hog still doesn’t deserve 10 spots just because no one protests. I feel that it IS your responsibility to report the inconsiderate parking hog to the appropriate supervisor or authority. Such behavior affects the company as a whole, & bad behavior only continues if others allow it to continue.

Anonymous May 20, 2013 at 9:28 am

I can see a few reasons why someone might need to park their boat at work–for example, if the person was taking the boat to the mechanic, and the only available time slot was right after work, so no time to go home to fetch the boat, or maybe if the person was taking everyone out for a boat ride after work. However, both of these things are “ask, don’t tell” situations. So, you don’t say, “I’m doing [XYZ action that’ll inconvenience everyone], thank you and have a great day”; you ask first, and not just the boss either–I’d ask everyone who’s going to be affected.

Joyous May 20, 2013 at 9:29 am

Aside from the clipped, entitled sense I get from the email; if spaces are at a premium, this is so rude. I would say something (politely) to someone, ESPECIALLY since the boat isn’t for work-related purposes. As soon as people start getting away with this type of behavior, they think it’s ok and they’ll keep pushing for more (how often is he or she “bringing the boat”. I might be coming across as combative but I also don’t like it when people try to walk over other people. This email would initially infuriate me and then I’d look for someone to talk to because this isn’t right at all. It’d be another thing if it was a huge lot and tons of parking but the issue is that parking is at a premium and he or she is assuming it’s no problem to park a BOAT!
I’d really love to hear what happens with this one, OP. I hope a manager says something.

Magicdomino May 20, 2013 at 9:31 am

He sent this to the whole company? Oh, that is asking for trouble. First off, the person he should have asked is whoever in his company is in charge of parking or building management. If it is okay with them, they can block off the 10 spaces. If it isn’t, and he parks the boat anyway, they have the tow truck’s phone number. Otherwise, it is the OP’s problem only if the OP comes in late because he/she couldn’t find a parking space.

An evil little imp on my shoulder says to come early and park in the middle of the requested spaces. I usually can’t be bothered to listen to imps, but I wonder how many recipients of that email would delibrately park there.

Stacey Frith-Smith May 20, 2013 at 9:45 am

There is usually no need to actually confront the crazy. Here it seems eminently possible to ignore the crazy- just park as you normally would. Even when people have behaviors that are objectionable and that affect you- there is usually someone you can approach whose role includes monitoring the issue in question.

Miss-E May 20, 2013 at 9:48 am

Am I the only one who is desperately curious as to why this person is bringing their boat to work???

OP_Here May 20, 2013 at 9:48 am

Hey everyone, OP here! Just thought I would address a couple of the questions I’ve seen so far.

1) We are not a large company, we have just over 100 employees and everyone knows each other. This has led to a very casual-feeling atmosphere and so a lot of folks don’t feel the need to obtain formal approval for odd requests like this (even though I believe they should).

2) Someone asked how I knew he didn’t get approval. We have a VERY small admin staff that would’ve been involved in approving a request like this. A couple of those individuals were the ones that contacted me to express their feelings regarding the content of the e-mail and they mentioned that he hadn’t sought approval in advance. So I don’t know with 100% certainty that he didn’t get approval, but it’s more than likely, especially based on what I know of the person.

And KarenK, I think you’re right. Very few people are willing to challenge this individual on things like this so he’s used to getting his way. Most folks around here fit more into the category of go along to get along.

LonelyHound May 20, 2013 at 9:52 am

I had a similar situation come up at my work but not one person was put off by it. Here is why: The co-worker in question got approval from his manager and the HR department. They parked so far out of the way that no one was put out. HR sent the email informing the company of the approval for this gentleman to park his RV in the company lot. HR gave a work related reason but the gossip grapevine revealed the true reason (even in a 60 person company secrets are hard to hide when you are so close knit).

If boat man did not go through management channels to get approval then I think he is both rude and entitled. If we went through management channels then he was given permission to park in the lot and taking the first row spaces is rude. Why is he bringing the boat to work? Show and tell? My parents have a 15′ hunting boat. When they need to take the boat in for maintenance or want to go for a ride after work they rearrange their work schedules (i.e. take time off) to do this so they never have to trouble their co-workers. There are ways to make things work for everyone but sometimes the person needing the special treatment has to take one for the team.

Gee May 20, 2013 at 10:00 am

10 spaces? What kind of boat does he have, a ferry? An ocean liner?

Unless he’s taking up the spaces for business purposes, this is not acceptable. And “that’s how he/she is” is not a valid excuse. He’s like this because he/she is allowed to get away with it.

Stepmomster May 20, 2013 at 10:01 am

hate the “just how they are” argument. Only because we let them be.

WildIrishRose May 20, 2013 at 10:05 am

I don’t drive to work so an e-mail like this would not affect me directly. However, I would have to question whether or not someone in authority approved not only the message, but the parking of the boat in the first place. And if this WAS approved by the Powers That Be, then one of THEM should have sent the e-mail around to the effect of “Please do not park in Area X tomorrow, as those spaces will be reserved for blah blah blah” or something like that.

And add me to the list of people who think that the “that’s how he is” excuse for rudeness is ridiculous. Why should the rest of the world have to walk on eggshells around rude people just because they’re rude? I have a close relative who is like that. She is so self-entitled and rude that she’s just downright mean sometimes, and I see no reason whatsoever to tolerate it just because “that’s how she is.” She can be a different way if she wants to be, but as KarenK pointed out, she’s like that because she gets away with it and no one calls her on it.

Allie May 20, 2013 at 10:25 am

I agree with the whole “How big is his boat?” questions.

If he didn’t get this cleared first, I think someone should send him a “We are not able to comply with your request” email. It’s ridiculous to just expect others to accommodate your wishes (even if it was the only time he could get it repaired, he could request the time off to drive it instead of bringing it to work; like a dentist’s appointment).

Wendy B May 20, 2013 at 10:31 am

It would be very tempting at this point to park in one of those spaces…and when he throws a fit, reply, “Parking is at a premium, I needed a parking space, and I wasn’t aware that management had approved you’re parking your boat there when you and they know full well the parking situation.” Of course, being the atmosphere described, it could result in action against the OP by management because they’ve always let him get away with this stuff.

I work in a similar situation. We have three tiny parking lots and are always chasing people out who park there “for a few minutes” and block an employee from parking there. Were someone within the company to send out a general email of that nature I can guarantee that management would come down on them post haste.

White Lotus May 20, 2013 at 10:31 am

I don’t see why he needs ten spaces for anything trailerable unless he is a dreadful driver or there is something odd about the lot. Lot shape and access may have to do with the location he wants, too. I agree he should have asked first, and maybe he did — can I park my boat in the lot on Monday, Owner? Sure. Just let people know — but I don’t see why this is a huge problem if there is enough parking otherwise. I don’t see anything rude or unprofessional about it under those circumstances at all.

Dear! May 20, 2013 at 10:43 am

I work in a city where parking is very limited, and if you get to work past 8:45am (work starts at 9am) you would be hard pressed to find parking, or parking that is not at least a trot away. If some of my coworkers did this, it would be an issue.

Example: In our parking lot, there is an area that you usually have to reverse into due to how it is positioned. It can hold three cars, and it usually has three cars parked there, accordingly. However, one of my coworkers in the building took to parking her pickup truck sideways in the space, successfully taking up three spaces for just her vehicle. It was extremely selfish and one morning I was in front of her, and although there were other spaces available I pulled my car correctly in the spot, leaving two additional spaces, and hopefully giving her a hint just in case she was oblivious. She parked elsewhere that morning, but did the same thing the next day. Grrrr.

OP_Here May 20, 2013 at 10:46 am

Arila May 20, 2013 at 10:49 am

Agree that the email is a bit brusque and should have been phrased as a request.

I’m not sure how the parking lot is laid out, but if he’s specified an out of the way area, and there would be 10 spots empty somewhere in the lot and he’s asking for them to be clumped together, it’s not unreasonable. If he’s asking to park in front of the door, and/or proposing to prevent people from parking at all, it’s unreasonable.

We live in quite a big city, and so some people have pretty long commutes. It’s not uncommon that on a Friday before a holiday weekend that some people will come in to work driving their RVs or boats so they can head out for the weekend straight from work. BUT, they park them way off in the back corners where no one parks anyway. I don’t see the actual fact of his bringing his large recreational items to work as unprofessional.

Since this is a small company and everyone knows each other, I guess the mass email isn’t too horrendous, but I personally would have found a quieter method of achieving the same ends (As some people have mentioned, perhaps arranging for the spaces to be roped/coned off, or arriving early-early-early)

Goldie May 20, 2013 at 11:04 am

I’m curious, why does he assume everyone in the office got his email? All it would take for his plan to fail is one or two people who were on vacation or sick the day his email came out, that would come in to work the next day and park in his self-designated spaces. Agree 100% that this type of request needs to go through the management. THEY should be the ones to send out a mass email, and THEY should be the ones to secure the parking spaces for him.

AnnaMontana May 20, 2013 at 11:04 am

When I was at Uni and now at work, we struggle with the parking. At uni I paid for a parking space all year round, costing me a whopping £1000. (A great deal of money to a poor student.) I paid for this space so that when my boyfriend came to see me (4 nights a week, every week) he would be able to park. Occasionally a flatmate would request to use it, so their parents could park when they visited on the odd weekend and that would be fine. However, I got very irritated when my boyfriend had come up for his regular visit and found my parking spot had been taken by someone visiting their other half who lived in the building. Luckily my building manager sorted it out, had the car towed and issued notifications to everyone about the private parking spaces that were paid for by only a few of us. I later found out that another girl had told her boyfriend to park in my space because *I* didn’t use it, not realising my boyfriend did! It put paid to just parking anywhere.
However, what drives me bonkers is that the establishment I work in has clearly designated parking. One side is for staff and the other side is for visitors. I constantly have to ‘re-direct’ visitors to their parking spaces and often have to tell them to use the grass verge, because it seems that stupid people simply cannot read the signs…..morons! More often than not a lot of the staff members arrive at different hours of the day or night, and although the visitors parking becomes fairly full, it is never totally full, just that people are too lazy to walk to the door! I have seen staff members park on the visitors carpark and walk to the front door, when they have spinal injuries or foot problems, simply because the silly little girly visitors are too concerned with their hair then to think of others! It drives me insane, even more so because my boss is constantly issuing directives to our ‘clientale’ to let them know, and its’ still ignored!

Ashley May 20, 2013 at 11:12 am

Ten spaces? He’s going to be one of those people who insists on parking sideways, rather than just pulling into two end to end spaces? For a while my parents had a full size conversion van and a boat that was at least 20 feet long and we got that thing into two spaces, so this guy can’t possibly need 10 unless he’s towing a yacht…

The email in and of itself is not rude…it’s what he wants to do and the fact that he didn’t get approval. Because yeah, the email is just stating facts, as in “I’m bringing my boat”. The fact that he’s bringing the boat and taking up space without getting approval from those who should be giving it is rude. Taking up the space when other people might need it more is rude.

As for the “That’s just the way they are” excuse…well, that’s tricky. If it’s used to explain someone’s bad/rude behavior, and then they are allowed to go do the bad/rude behavior anyway, THAT is terrible. But if they are bad/rude, then someone says “That’s just the way they are” but then stops the bad/rude behavior from happening, I can deal with that, because at least they aren’t getting away with their shenanigans in the end.

Steve May 20, 2013 at 11:29 am

For him to use ten spaces, it sounds to me like he is inwilling to unhook his trailer for the day…it seems that he is planning to park his combination across ten spaces, where he could put his boat in one, and his car in the next space.

This is what irks me the most. He is very entitled and does not seek to minimize the trouble he is causing others. I would not be inconvenienced by it. If only those spaces remain available, I would park there and I would not move my car.

Sarah May 20, 2013 at 11:32 am

This is only reasonable if there would still be plenty of parking even with his boat,and also if he’s taking what would generally be considered undesirable spaces. In other words, if he’s not actually making life harder for anyone.

If those qualifications aren’t met, I would be inclined to ignore the e-mail.

OP, what ended up happening? Did people leave those spots free for him?

Ergala May 20, 2013 at 11:43 am

Man I’m wondering if he’ll get in trouble for sending out a company wide email for something exactly work related. At my old job I was pulled into my boss’s office because IT had seen an email I had sent to a coworker….we were discussing where to grab lunch. It wasn’t a long conversation, just “Hey do you want subs or Chinese?” followed by “Subs sound good! See you at 1!”….I was written up for using company email for non-business related communication. So was my coworker. I can only imagine what would happen if I had sent out a mass email saying I needed 10 of the parking spots for my boat and that it wasn’t work related. Sheesh!

Ergala May 20, 2013 at 11:47 am

AnnaMontana your designated parking reminds me of the very very large hospital here! If you are going to certain wings you park in the parking garage. Others you park out front or in the different zones. OB services and Pediatric services are with the parking garage. It has 8 floors I do believe. OB is on floor 5 and Pediatrics is on floor 6. Whenever I’d go there for my OB appointments with my oldest I’d see the whole main section full at the crack of dawn. Every appointment it was the same cars with parking permits for the employee parking which was across from the parking garage. Yup hospital employees were parking in the parking garage so they could be closer to the doors. While those of us who were extremely pregnant or with small children had to find a spot and ride up and down the elevator or the stairs if the elevator was going way too slow. Everyone was complaining about it.

Lauren May 20, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I have a huge problem with the enablers in this situation. These are the people who make my life annoying. By giving a pass to the rude, pushy people they are sending a message that their behavior is ok.

Some people are rude because they are stupid, or because their mothers never told them how to behave. It is my job (and all of yours!) to tell them no. Just walk up to them, wave your finger in their face and shout “No! Bad boy! NO!” I have used this in many situations…it may not always work, but it makes me feel better and amuses other people who are watching.

Lisa May 20, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Just a quick comment:

We own a 40-foot boat. It is obviously too big to be pulled by a vehicle but even if it were to be pulled by a vehicle, it STILL would not take up 10 parking spaces.

It’s almost humorous how much this guy has overestimated his “needs.”

Calli Arcale May 20, 2013 at 12:21 pm

As the ice finally leaves the lakes around here (damn it’s been a long winter!), I expect we’ll start to see boats on trailers turning up in the parking lot, especially on Friday. Also the occasional camper. The idea is that the person will be heading up to their lake cabin on Friday, right after work, and since the commute can take upwards of an hour depending on where you live, this may be the difference between getting to the cabin before or after dark. I don’t have a problem with that, and our parking lot is bigger than we need. Also, the boaters are always very considerate; they seldom occupy more than two parking spots unless they park at the far side where the spots are all in a long row against the curb; there they have to go crosswise and park across six or seven spots, but nobody was going to be parking there anyway.

And that’s the key. If parking was at a premium here, you can bet they’d be towed. And nobody has the unmitigated gall to announce “hey, I’m gonna take up a whole bunch of parking spots today!” I know my coworkers, and if there weren’t enough parking spots in the lot, they’d park on the street quite happily. The company allows us to park stuff like that in the lot only because it’s not impacting company use of the lot. If this parking lot is one of those where you can’t just take two spots that are end-to-end, then it’s obviously a small lot and the boat should not come to work.

That said, I don’t think there’s anything the LW can do about it, besides recognize the poor manners of this particular employee and limit interactions with this person accordingly. If the person is displacing other employes from the lot, then a complaint can be made to management, but that’s it.

Weaver May 20, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I think it’s rude and entitled of the boat-owner. And people who add phrases like: “Thanks for your cooperation!” and “Have a great day!” in this sort of situation are fully aware they’re being entitled. They just hope that adding platitudes like that will force people into being pushovers, because it’s much more difficult to call someone out on their selfishness when they’re presenting a facade of friendliness.

Several coworkers of mine contacted me (unsolicited) and agreed that they find the e-mail rude, but they’re not bothered by it Wait, what? If they’re not bothered by it, why are they contacting you to mention it?

Alli May 20, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I think this could have been easily avoided if the person had phrased the message differently. If he had sent something like ” Due to unforseen circumstances, I will be parking a large vehicle in the lot tomorrow. It will likely take up 10 spaces in the north section of the lot. I apologize for any inconvience.”

It still says that he’s going to do it, but a least ackowledges that he is putting other people out.

j. May 20, 2013 at 1:10 pm

If Boat Guy was just moving his boat from storage to his house, with a brief stop-off for his work day, why couldn’t he get up earlier in the morning and make a round trip? Or move the boat on a weekend? His boat ownership doesn’t give him the right to inconvenience 9 other people. Basically, the people he shoved out of their parking spaces all deserve a boat ride on a date of their choosing, beverages included ;)

Katy May 20, 2013 at 1:37 pm

10 spaces is not only parking the boat, but asking for enough spaces to do so without unhitching it. Any boat that can be towed behind a car won’t take up more than two spaces (and the narrow spaces, not the gigantic Costco spaces) wide, and (a real stretch) two forward. Unhitching boat from car would be a hassle, but it would cut the number of spots needed in half.
Personally I think it’s horribly entitled to take up that many spots. I might not do it, but I’ve seen enough evidence of people parking around the offender to think that if his parking makes it impossible for someone to park in a lot he might find himself with a difficult situation to maneuver around.

NostalgicGal May 20, 2013 at 1:40 pm

A place I used to live, had a few tourist zones… and a few smaller cities absorbed by the big one. In one place in one of the small absorbed… the roads are laid out in insanity and you have to know the area to find some people’s addresses… and. A block off the main street is a shop, and the shop is on a postage stamp but has by a quirk of the road TWO parking spaces. Not on the street, not on a meter, not in a paid lot. AND the signage on the fence in four languages that says for his shop customers only, $1000 fine and tow if you park there otherwise. He said it cost a lot for the professional done powdercoated painted signs for the fence, but it does work. City has ordinance that private parking lot owners can set their own fines, the city gets their portion and the rest the owner can keep and I think that is the cap on the amount of the fine that can be charged….

Places I’ve worked, big and small, usually 10 slots to park something even for a few hours would have been out of the question. Period. One place my husband worked, they had inner and outer lots and the outer lots had the space… asking to be in one of the inner lots would not have been approved but in the outer ring, go for it. A neighbor up the street from where I lived at that time had an ocean going rated (so not tiny) boat he had at a reservoir, his day job was OTR semi, and twice a year he’d borrow his rig on weekend off, and tow it from reservoir to his storage, then tow it back. In that case, with the semi tractor and the thing on trailer and needing a space or two to be able to pull in straight and pull out without clipping something, I could see him taking 10 slots. And yes it’s a big boat but not a huge one (I think it was 24′ as I had a 24′ koipond and we joked about floating it in my backyard for the winter as a guest cottage)

The person who mentioned the gal who would park sideways and take up three, I’d have taken some pictures and turned it into HR, and continued to park in the MIDDLE of the three slots if I had the chance, correctly. (aka leaving one slot on each side)

Livvy17 May 20, 2013 at 2:25 pm

It’s rude, and entitled, and I completely agree with stepmomster that people act that way because other people let them get away with it. For evil to win, all that is required is for good people to do nothing. (paraphrasing, here.)

I’d be sure to get there early, in any case. I wouldn’t park maliciously in the “designated” spaces, but if those were the best available spaces at the time I arrived, I’d park there. If Mr. Entitled were so bold as to come up to you to complain about you parking in “his” space, I’d ask “Does your boat work here? Why does it have more right to a parking space than I do?”

Personally, as HR, I’d be having some words with him about summarily “claiming” 10 spots, especially if there is ANY difficulty with employees parking. What gives him the right?

Kristin May 20, 2013 at 2:45 pm

This guy is really entitled. He has no worry that everyone will obey his command and not park in his self-designated area. I suspect, though, that the ten spaces is so he could easily get and and out with that thing.

OP, you have GOT to update us on this!

Susan May 20, 2013 at 3:23 pm

OP, please let us know what happened the following day. I’d too be tempted to park in that spot.

Michele K. May 20, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Evil Michele would say that everyone needs to park in the front row of the back lot on the far west side. Stuffing her back in her box.

Missy May 20, 2013 at 3:41 pm

On face value this does sound pretty entitled. I once worked for a company who had spent significant resources recruiting just the right CEO. Thanks to some mix-ups and problems with moving he brought his moving van for three days because he had nowhere else to park it and couldn’t get into his house yet. The owner probably would have let him bring an elephant because they wanted him to work there that bad. But he still apologized to everyone and made sure that even the lowly receptionists didn’t have trouble parking because he took so much space. Very classy man.

If the parking lot is large and underutilized, I wouldn’t be offended at someone asking that people leave some adjoined spaces. If parking is tight, I’d be much less tolerant.

Tanz May 20, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I can’t get over the man’s audacity! Why does he feel he can steal carparks from co-workers for his leisure activity? There is no reason whatsoever for him to park his boat at work: if he *has* to have it with him for whatever reason he can make arrangements to park elsewhere… and I assume the reason he doesn’t want to it because he will have to pay for it. People like this annoy me greatly (reminds me of an ex-co-worker of mine who used to tie his dog up in my office in the mornings, in spite of my objections).

Nancy May 20, 2013 at 4:10 pm

So basically, he could pick up the boat at some other time, but this is more convenient for him? I agree that you don’t bring it up unless it affects YOU, because that makes him a tattle-tale, but if the day comes and a bunch of people are late because bozo took up most of the parking lot, then they should be encouraged to complain.

It really is amazing what people are able to get away with just because “that’s how they are.” No, that’s how they’ve learned to behave to get what they want. If they’d been put on notice that continuing to behave like x will result in consequences, they probably wouldn’t behave like that.

Lou May 20, 2013 at 4:12 pm

That’s a new one…Bring Your Boat To Work Day!
Seriously, count me in with the commenters who hate the whole ‘it’s just how he is’ excuse. I remember Anne Shirley in one of the Green Gables books administering a genteel throwdown to someone who made that very excuse – I can’t recall her exact words but it was along the lines of ‘And if you went around sticking pins and needles into people and saying ‘Don’t worry, you mustn’t mind me, it’s just the way I am’, everyone would think you were mad, wouldn’t they?’
Seriously, if his boat is going to leave some of his colleagues with nowhere to park, there’s a problem – not a major one but an annoying one. Nobody wants a bunfight for a parking space before they’ve even started their day, and if he’s allowed to Bring His Boat To Work this time it’s possible he’ll feel it’s OK to do it again and again. Maybe you could encourage those who are annoyed by it to individually contact management to query the request/directive and see if they get Anne Shirley on his posterior?x

The Elf May 20, 2013 at 4:34 pm

“Oh, and regarding the purpose of the boat; the employee was removing the boat from storage to his home, and the office is on the way.”

Then take leave and put it away at home. It shouldn’t be this complicated. I bet he just wants to show it off.