Please Fund The Consequences of My Stupid Actions

by admin on June 12, 2013

A silly, foolish Arizona teenager named Nicole Yunker jumps from the roof of her home, hoping to land in the pool, and hits the concrete deck instead breaking both her feet. Her equally silly and foolish mother, Carol Yunker, videotaped it, posted it to Youtube and then created a gofundme.com web page soliciting money. She had hoped to collect $4,200.00 to cover daughter Nicole’s loss of income from not being able to work.

Read more of the story and watch the video HERE.

The web site was taken down after numerous complaints were made.

Yenda June 12, 2013 at 8:49 am

I know teens can be abysmally stupid at times, but aren’t parents supposed to stop them at those times, not video them making horrible decisions? What a pair of morons.

carol June 12, 2013 at 8:56 am

Um…

I’m sorry for the girl – let’s face it, when you’re young, your brain is not fully developed, and you are going to think stupid things are a good idea. I’m glad she wasn’t permanatly paralyzed or killed, at least.

I don’t think it was ‘fraud’, really, but I do wonder at the logic at using a public forum to collect money from ‘friends and family’.

I think the real rudness is the people sendiing death threats and posting horrible comments. We as a society really need to take a breath and think before posting. There are worse things happening in the world that deserve our ire. A mother and daughter’s lack of judgement isn’t one of them.

Jewel June 12, 2013 at 9:02 am

This story reminds me of a meme I saw yesterday: Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes, that reason is you’re dumb and make stupid decisions.

Lo June 12, 2013 at 9:15 am

The thing I’m not quite getting about this is how old this girl actually is.

The article says both that she is a teenager and that she works full time (thus, the loss of income), leading me to believe she must be 18 or 19 and therefore not a minor. Which makes my original reaction that this woman should be on trial for child endangerment absolutely void.

So really we have two adults making dumb decisions. Over and over.

And it only makes the whole thing even stupider. Even if, in this scenario, Nicole were a teenaged minor, and her mother had not videotaped it, but wanted to solicit donations after the accident, my reaction would be the same: “Your kid’s an idiot, you’re lucky she isn’t dead, and I have no interest in giving you my money.”

Who do these people think they are?

Cat June 12, 2013 at 9:20 am

The girl was lucky. A friend of mine had a pool party and they were doing the same thing-jumping from the roof of the house into the pool. These were adults in their thirties, not teenagers, and they had been drinking as well.
One man missed the pool, broke his neck and was paralyzed. He is never going to be fully functional again.
There is no excuse for his stupidity nor for the homeowner allowing his guests to engage in dangerous behavior. Put in a diving board and require people who want to jump in to use it. Even adults need limits when they are in your home.

Stacey Frith-Smith June 12, 2013 at 9:23 am

I don’t know what the etiquette violation is here- the view is so obscured by shock over the idea that someone would voluntarily allow a teen to perform a stunt so dangerous that she basically “broke” her own child. This is kind of the campaign poster for the official “don’t try this at home” series. And if you ARE going to do something awesome and dangerous- you should come fully equipped with a brain that can assess risk, compensate with changes to setting and equipment, and even discard a superlatively bad idea.

laura June 12, 2013 at 9:32 am

I hope the mother gets charged with Child Endangerment. What an eejit!

Anonymous June 12, 2013 at 9:58 am

I just watched that video, and the part I don’t get is, “I’m hot, let’s go on the roof.” If Nicole’s friend had just said, “I’m hot, let’s go swimming,” then none of this would have happened.

Nannerdoman June 12, 2013 at 10:32 am

“My daughter did something foolish and dangerous. Please send her money.” — I don’t think so.

Is deep-rooted stupidity an etiquette violation?

The Elf June 12, 2013 at 10:34 am

Web solicitations (outside of defined charities) make me nuts. It’s such a rude thing to do. But if you’re going to, make sure it’s really for something outside the donation-receiver’s control, not some dumb stunt.

Ashley June 12, 2013 at 10:53 am

Okay wow. I saw the original story somewhere when she had just broken her feet. I didn’t know they put up a site for donations…You break something due to your own stupidity, you pay for it.

Nicolek June 12, 2013 at 11:03 am

I hate gofundme. A person I’m in an online interest group with has been spamming me with requests for his sons trip regularly spams me from it. Ive never met the guy, let alone his son .

Cherry June 12, 2013 at 11:24 am

More than anything, this story just confuses me.

The girl in question is only referred to as being a teenager, so I’m trying to work out the age she’s at where she doesn’t realise that jumping off a roof is a really stupid idea, but she apparently holds a job where she’s likely to lose over 4 grand while she’s recovering from the results of her own idiocy.

Maybe her mother wanted to cover the medical bills, but this feels rather fishy to me…

Tsunoba June 12, 2013 at 11:33 am

My sister mentioned this last week. I disagree with the action of taking down the site because of fraud, unless someone can prove the daughter didn’t break her feet. Taking it down for another reason is fine, but “fraud” doesn’t seem legitimate unless the girl is fine.

Also, I can’t help but think that those two obviously never saw that one Simpsons episode where Bart attempted to jump into the pool from the roof of his treehouse, and ended up falling and breaking his leg.

Lupo June 12, 2013 at 11:38 am

*sigh*

I will never understand the driving force behind “pay me for my own bad choices”. I’ve read the article, and what really sticks out to me is the mother is now claiming she will take photos at the hospital, to prove it’s real and not fraud. Her poor daughter. First YouTube, now this. To me it feels the mother is more focused on how she’s impacted by the negative feedback than on her daughter’s recuperation, while the daughter should never have made the choice in the first place to jump. And further, rather than stop her daughter, the mother filmed it? And allowed her daughters’ friends to jump as well? I really will never understand, I suppose.

SleepIsabella June 12, 2013 at 11:54 am

What sort of mother would willingly film their own teen daughter doing something so dangerously stupid? How could they still call themselves a caring mother after allowing their teen daughter do that? You have the gall to beg for money for you and your daughter’s incredible lapse of judgement? You make a mockery of charity funding. This angers me to no end.

nk June 12, 2013 at 12:30 pm

So her mother filmed her jumping off the roof instead of trying to stop her? I have to wonder if they had this planned as a fund-raising scheme from the start. It sounds like the mother could be charged with reckless endangerment if she’s risking her daughter’s well-being to make a quick buck.

SweetPea June 12, 2013 at 12:30 pm

What a gimmiepig. The gofundme isn’t even for medical expenses. It’s for living expenses, including phone and rent. Move in with the parents again, if this is the case.

Kirst June 12, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Quite apart from her stupidity and her mother’s cheek, I can’t stand the way she kept referring to herself as “spazzing out.” Spazz is a derogatory term, it’s a diminutive of spastic and it’s a horrible word to refer to someone with cerebral palsy. I can’t believe anyone would think it’s ok to use it. It’s as outdated as calling someone with Down’s Syndrome a mongol.

la June 12, 2013 at 2:03 pm

What.

No, seriously, what.

WildIrishRose June 12, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Wish I’d thought of that when my brilliant son jumped out of a tree and missed the trampoline he’d put underneath. Broke his ankle in three places.

TeamBhakta June 12, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I hope everyone emails them a picture of a quarter and the caption “Here’s a quarter, call someone who cares”

lakey June 12, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Teens do stupid things, but a mother who would encourage something dangerous like that should be reported to child protective services, and should, minimally, be under some kind of supervision until they can determine that she has the brains to be a responsible parent.
And I find it reassuring that enough people were disgusted with this behavior that the site was removed.

TeamBhakta June 12, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Lo, you are correct. One of the articles said she is 19 and had just moved into her first home. Which is way too old for acting like “Duhr, I’m 13 and all my friends want to imitate a stunt we saw on JackA_s. This is totally safe…I had no idea I could fall and get hurt. “

Stefanie June 12, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Anonymous June 12, 2013 at 3:23 pm

I’m actually more disgusted with Nicole’s so-called “friend,” because Nicole clearly said that she didn’t want to jump off the roof, but her friend wouldn’t take no for an answer, and goaded her into it. Nicole hesitated, and missed the pool and broke both her feet, but the friend didn’t, and she was okay. How many times do we see variations on this theme on television? For example, so many episodes of Saved By the Bell consist of Zach and Slater talking Screech into doing something stupid to help them get something they want, and then Screech gets in trouble, while the “cool kids” don’t get caught, and then they feel badly about it and supposedly “learn their lesson” until the next time it happens. It may be funny on television, but it’s really not funny in real life.

NostalgicGal June 12, 2013 at 3:37 pm

@ TeamBhakta, I like it.

Nobody’ll fund my need for $20k of dental work, not cosmetic either.
Nobody’ll fund my desire for a car that is less than 20 years old.
Nobody’ll fund my medical bills.

Why should this teen jump off a roof, and somebody expects somebody else to cover her stupidity (covering loss of income or whatever other reason). What’s worse, those that think they’re this entitled, or those that would actually send them money?

TeamBhakta June 12, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Lakey, CPS can’t do anything for Nicole since she’s 19. Also, I would love to know if drugs or alcohol played a part in this.

Marozia June 12, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I need a new car – fund me.
I need liposuction, facelift, dental work, etc – fund me.
My husband needs a cure for phenylketonuria – fund him.
To Nicole & Carol – Evil Marozia says ‘Get Bent’.

rosie June 12, 2013 at 6:09 pm

For once, I’m speechless. The cynical part of me wonders if… oh, never mind, I can’t even say it. smh

MichelleP June 12, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I just love people’s sense of entitlement. Always makes me laugh.

@Anonymous, the friend is not to blame. She did do something stupid too, but she didn’t put a gun to her head and make her do it. Nicole is old enough, way old enough, not to do stupid stuff like this.

Michelle C Young June 12, 2013 at 8:32 pm

This is exactly why I refuse to watch “Jackass” or “Funniest Home Videos” – the show or the Youtube. There are oodles of funny videos that do not involve violence or painful stupidity.

Now, non-painful stupidity? If the person who did the non-painful stupid thing agrees to the posting, then sure. Goodness knows I have done plenty of non-painful stupid things. Even more, when I’m on pain pills. Gee willikers! I get so stupid on those pills, but they take the pain away, so it’s a trade-off. My sister has suggested following me with a video camera, to film the “show,” and one day, she just might do it. However, unless I’m looking my best, I do not want such a video to be posted. I don’t mind being seen as foolish in public, but I’d better have my hair combed, OK?

Anyway, I do not support the posting or viewing of violent videos, or of people being unintentionally hurt from doing truly stupid things. The only good thing that can come of such videos is if you hear a young person saying, “I want to jump from the roof into the pool,” then you can get a collection of videos of people attempting just that, and show them the horrible consequences.

Personally, I’m just glad she only broke her feet. It could have been much worse. She could have hit her head. She could have hit her head UNDER WATER. She could have broken her neck and spent her life paralyzed. As it is, it was a painful, traumatic, and expensive consequence. It could have been deadly or life-altering.

Jess June 12, 2013 at 8:36 pm

The mother diddnt film it, another friend did and from the video it sounds like a male. Doesnt excuse the mother’s stupidity but if she diddnt know it was happening she could not stop it beforehand.

Michelle C Young June 12, 2013 at 8:39 pm

As a comparison for etiquette:

My father recently lost a leg. He will come home from the hospital in a wheelchair. We needed help getting ramps and grab bars, and the like set up, because our house is not already wheelchair accessible.

We did not post a video and ask strangers on the internet for help. We simply told some people we know from church, and they voluntarily organized an effort of installing the needed items. They even found out about a charity that covers this sort of thing, and got a thousand dollars to cover the expenses of getting the ramps. I’m not sure that much money was spent. If there is excess money, I’m sure it will go back to the charity.

The point is, if you are in need, it is OK to ask for help. However, you should ask your friends and family directly, and not specify “I need money!” Tell them what the issue is, and let them work out how to help you, in their own way. And if that means they bring tuna casseroles for a week, you thank them, gratefully, and say, “We can save on groceries, and that will help to pay for the ramps.”

Engaging in stupid behavior is not the etiquette blunder. It’s posting online, soliciting funds from strangers.

Michelle C Young June 12, 2013 at 8:45 pm

RE: Saved By the Bell

Skreech needs to memorize a mantra: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me for the entire season, shame on me!

Anonymous June 12, 2013 at 8:56 pm

>>Oy. I had a friend who did this when we were in junior high (well, not exactly – she tried to jump from the roof onto her trampoline – she missed and broke her arm). Her mother certainly never tried to fund her medical expenses and read her the riot act… I think she was grounded for something like two years. I really have nothing to say except that hopefully I raise my children to be smarter than this.<<

Wow. If that was my kid, I'd say that the broken arm was punishment enough.

Lexie June 13, 2013 at 1:25 am

That’s a prime example of natural selection at work. If she is an older teen and thought this was a good idea without any drugs or alcohol in her system, then I expect we’ll see her name in the Darwin Awards in the future.

Rose June 13, 2013 at 5:58 am

I’m not sure who the worst offender is: foolish teenager, mom who asks strangers for money, or legions of strangers on the Internet who entertain themselves by making fun of these two people ad nauseum.

MichelleP June 13, 2013 at 7:09 am

First thing I thought of when I read Anonymous’s post blaming the friend,

My mother: “If your friends jumped off a cliff would you do it too??!!”

And yep, if my kid did something stupid like this, the broken limb would not be punishment enough.

The “teen” is 19. When I was that age, not too long ago, I had been paying my own bills for two years, lived on my own for over a year, and was married.

MichelleP June 13, 2013 at 7:11 am

My cousin’s kid jumped off the ladder to a slide trying to jump into the pool. He hit the deck instead, rupturing his spleen and needed surgery. Difference is, he’s NINE, not nineteen.

Miss-E June 13, 2013 at 7:48 am

You could literally spend hours watching internet videos of people doing stupid things and getting hurt. None of them ask for money. Why would this woman think she and her daughter are special? Gimme gimme gimme…

Mae June 13, 2013 at 8:08 am

You can’t fix stupid and apparently, it’s genetic.

A man in my community dove into a river to save a 5 year old girl from drowning. He did save the child but broke his neck and is now paralyzed from the waist down. That is the type of person who should be “funded” but he has not asked for a thing. Carol & Nicole should take a cue; do something stupid, deal with the consequences. You jump off a roof, break your feet and can’t work. Guess what? You don’t get paid.

Nicole should invest in some Aflac, but I don’t know if they pay for stupid.

carol June 13, 2013 at 8:35 am

@Marozia – what did I say that you disapprove of? And I’m not using an offended tone of voice, I’m honestly curious, as I thought I’d been clear that I think the whole thing is ridiculous to the extreme, from filming the event, to posting it online and asking for money from strangers. I can’t help that I feel pity for the girl’s stupidity, but I don’t disagree that both she and her mother show a monsterous lack of judgment.

I still think people posting hateful things and sending ‘death threats’ (alledgedly) to the mother is beyond the pale though. I try always to be polite on the internet. I have, I admit, gotten drawn into arguments, and I know I’ve said things that either came across badly or was simply me saying something rude and stupid, but mostly I try to keep my cool, and see the other person’s point of view. And if I find myself totally outraged by something (which happens more frequently than I would like) I try to calm the heck down and hit the back button. No need to post hateful things to a stranger, I think.

Jaxsue June 13, 2013 at 8:43 am

I broke my ankle very badly a few months ago. It was horribly painful, so I couldn’t even watch the video. That being said, what sane person thinks this was a smart thing to do? Okay, so kids do stupid things. But the mother was right there, filming this idiotic act! If I saw someone even on my roof about to jump into the pool, I’d tell them to get the hell off of it and they’d be on the banned list forever. My bills for my ONE broken ankle have been over $50k. And that’s with NO glitches in my recovery. I also didn’t ask anyone for donations. Between me and my insurance, every penny’s been paid.
No sympathy from me.

Athersgeo June 13, 2013 at 9:06 am

Carol @43 I think Marozia was talking about the Nicole and Carol of the story rather than any of the commenters on this post (at least that’s how I’d read it!)

Lychii June 13, 2013 at 9:44 am

Honestly, this is a witch hunt.

I’m usually the first one to feel disgusted by public leeching, but just can’t muster the sentiment in this case. This is a young girl who suddenly found herself in a boatload of pain and trouble, so unless she’s pursuing ME demanding money, I don’t care that she has a fundraising page out there!

The story says the page was intended for family members, which might be tacky but not a crime! (I’d certainly help out any member of my family in such a situation). And I don’t see why this particular fundraising attempt is bothering people so much more than all the destination weddings and “buy me a house” requests on gofundme.

Was that jump a stupid thing to do? Definitely. Do they go to e-hell for begging? Maybe. Do they deserve public bullying and persecution? I don’t think so.

carol June 13, 2013 at 9:59 am

Oh! Hahahahah! Way to be paranoid, me. Sorry! :)

Traherne June 13, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I absolutely agree there are far worthier causes if you have the money to spare. On the other hand, I was shocked by the vitriol directed at these people in the form of Facebook and YT comments. They were being honest about what happened and why they wanted the money, which is more than you can say about many sob-stories going around these days. If anyone still wanted to contribute, it’s really their problem. I’m not suggesting these people are above reproach, but some of the stuff aimed at them was unbelievably over the top.

Traherne June 13, 2013 at 3:48 pm

And may I add the second girl was VERY lucky that her friend let go of her hand. Had she held on to her, girl #2 might have broken her back or neck on the edge of the pool.

Barbarian June 13, 2013 at 8:56 pm

And I was the evil old mom who forbade her middle school son and his neighborhood buddies from playing on the roof. I even went to the homes of the other kids’ parents’ and said I did not want their kids on my roof and that I would feel terrible if any of them were hurt. One family blew me off but at least they all stayed off the roof from then on.