Band-Aid Banter

by admin on June 19, 2013

I reacted badly to a situation and I would like to know how I should have handled it.

My friend came over to my house and at some point while we were talking (and without my noticing) she peeled off her band-aid and left it on the table in front of her. When I saw it I absolutely freaked out, thinking , for some reason, that I must have left it there. I apologized profusely and I immediately picked it up with a napkin and threw it out. She watched me do this and never said a word. I thought about it later and realized I had just completely cleaned that room from top to bottom and haven’t used a band-aid in months. There is no way that was my band-aid I don’t know if she didn’t say anything because she was mortified, or if she was angry at my disgusted reaction, but she never even acknowledged it. I suspect she thought it was funny when I started apologizing and didn’t actually care enough to apologize herself.

She is not the cleanest person on a good day, and one she does other gross things that I let slide, but I don’t know how I could have reacted to this well. I really don’t think I should have ignored. So what should a person with a polite spine do? 0614-13

Lex June 19, 2013 at 3:04 am

I would have offered her a tissue and asked her to throw it away. Bandaids/Plasters cover wounds and have bodily fluids on them. They are a biohazard.

This girl sounds pretty disgusting to me.

Mojo June 19, 2013 at 5:46 am

At the time you thought the Band-Aid was yours. After all, what guest would be gross enough to peel off an old plaster and put it on the table in front of them? Ewwww. So don’t blame yourself for the way you acted. As a good host, there is nothing you could have done differently.

Is this friendship worth putting up with this disrespect to you and your home? Only you can decide. Maybe it’s time to risk it, stop letting her gross behaviour slide. Pull her up on her bad habits; ‘Please don’t do that in my house’, ‘Please put that in the bin’, ‘Here’s a tissue for your nose’, ‘Please stop, I don’t find that amusing’, or whatever the problem is. If she stops being your friend, so be it.

Ripple June 19, 2013 at 6:11 am

Let it go. There is nothing more to do. Your friend was probably embarrassed because of your extreme reaction (absolutely freaking out over a band-aid?). Your reaction should have been more on the lines of “Oops, how did that get there?” Then she might have said something, one of you would have thrown it out, case closed. Why are you even worrying about it now? Case is closed.

InNM June 19, 2013 at 6:14 am

Maybe I’m judgey wudgey because of lack of sleep, or maybe I’m just a judemental person, but plain talk, bad manners, your friend is nasty. I have been trying to find a reason to remove a used bandaid at the table AND leave it on the table by sticking said used band aid on the table and there is none I can think of at all. I would have probably reacted that way the same way, but I would think your friend would be comfortable enough to say something like, Oh, I’m sorry, that was my bad habit, I didn’t even realize I did it. You said you grabbed it, apologizing profusely, so it doesn’t sound like you were condemning the sort of person who would leave band aids on the table. It sounded less like your friend was embarrassed and more like she couldn’t understand why this was a problem.
What would I have done? I’m a more direct person, so I would have asked if she needed a napkin or some tissue and if I could get rid of her used band aid for her. Then I would have disinfected the area where she stuck the bandaid. Granted, she may not morph into the cleanest person in the world after that one conversation, but you dealt with the situation and she would be consciously considering her actions for the rest of the evening, and future interractions with you. Would it be uncomfortable for her? Possibly. But don’t we use etiquette to encourage better behavior? Think of it this way: if, in the middle of the meal she put her foot on the table and proceed to pick crud out of her toes and wipe it on the table, would you ignore it and keep eating as so not to embarrass her?

VanessaGa81 June 19, 2013 at 6:17 am

Considering that it’s over and done with, I would ignore it this time. I can’t think of a polite way to say, “Hey, that dirty bandaid from the other day? I just realized it was yours!”. If she does it again, and you know that she is the person who left her bandaid or other refuse on your furniture, you could say,”The trashcan is in the usual spot!”. And hope she gets the hint. If not, a more pointed, but still polite, “Please take your garbage to the proper place,” might be in order.

Lo June 19, 2013 at 6:48 am

Your friend should be ashamed of herself for leaving a used bandaid lying on your table.

I would have reacted the same way you did if I thought it was mine. Because that’s unsanitary. I would want my guests to think I was leaving used bandaids around the place.

If you HAD noticed her leaving it, what you could have done was saying, “Oh, here’s the wastebasket,” while offering it or pointing. There’s nothing wrong with asking guests not to leave litter around your house. Doubly so for a used bandaid that may be a health hazard.

clairedelune June 19, 2013 at 6:49 am

“Oh, here, let me get you a wastebasket for that.” (brings small trash can over.)

--Lia June 19, 2013 at 6:59 am

Actually, I think you hit on something perfect. You want to continue your friendship with her. (That’s your call to make. Someone else might decide that her habits are too awful to deal with.) You want to convey to her that leaving a bandaid anywhere other than the bathroom trash is a horrible thing to do. You also want to leave her an out so can correct her mistake without suffering the embarrassment of having to own up to it. I couldn’t have thought of anything better than what you did. You made a big deal out of how horrible it would be if you’d done it. You got your point across without having to be mean.

La June 19, 2013 at 7:06 am

Under the circumstances at the time, I’d say you did the right thing – clean up the mess ‘you’ left and apologize. If your friend brings it up later, just say that you honestly thought you’d left it there.

This is actually a pretty funny story, and you didn’t do anything actually wrong from your perspective.

A June 19, 2013 at 7:06 am

Actually, I think it was handled OK. Maybe you shouldn’t have freaked out, but instead calmly walked over with the napkin, picked up the Band-Aid without saying anything and tossed it out. Or, grabbed the nearest wastebasket and held it out for her to toss in. I’d view it sort of the same as if someone passed gas-don’t draw undue attention to the offense which would make someone uncomfortable. (I give the freak-out an OK since you were actually blaming yourself and expressing concern that your friend would also be grossed out.)

Abby June 19, 2013 at 7:09 am

You absolutely freaked out over the sight of a bandaid? Well, I’d say you overreacted, and given your overreaction, your friend probably was too mortified to be like, actually, it’s mine. Granted, peeling off a bandaid and leaving it on a kitchen table is kind of gross, but sometimes people peel at things without even being aware of what they were doing. I’m sure your friend was far more embarrassed than amused by your reaction.

From what I understand, at the point you realized the bandaid was not yours, your friend was long gone, so…what are you asking? You say how could you have handled it better, but you didn’t know it was your friend’s at the time. So…are you trying to find a way to confront her over this?

Pen^2 June 19, 2013 at 8:34 am

I think you did fine–you didn’t know whose band-aid it was, after all, and were behaving accordingly. And she did not let you know anything to the contrary, and thus accepted your actions.

I’d just mentally chalk it up to her being rather odd. The only thing you can do in situations like this is work out what to do if it happens again. If anything similar does occur, I’d ask her politely but on the spot to please dispose of her wound dressings appropriately, and offer her a tissue. That’s all. If it still continues and it bothers you (as well it should–ew!), ask her afterwards to please not do it again because it is unhygienic. Don’t make it a big deal when it doesn’t have to be.

Erin June 19, 2013 at 8:38 am

A used band-aid isn’t exactly something to freak out over. Yeah, it’s gross, but I’ve had people leave used toilet paper on the bathroom floor before. You clean it up and move on.

Anonymous June 19, 2013 at 8:39 am

I agree with Ripple and Abby. This story kind of reminds me of the episode of The Big Bang Theory where Sheldon announces he’s moving out, but won’t tell anyone why, so Leonard and Howard start trying to figure it out, and Howard asks Sheldon a series of questions along these lines:

Howard: “Did you change the thermostat?”
Leonard: “No.”
Howard: “Did you buy generic ketchup?”
Leonard: “No.”
Howard: “Did you take off a Band-Aid in front of him?”
Leonard: “No.”

Now, for the uninitiated, this is funny, because Sheldon, despite his intelligence (he’s a theoretical physicist with a Master’s and two PhD’s), he has some issues with OCD–the thermostat has to be at a certain temperature at all times, he has “his” designated spot on the couch that nobody else is allowed to sit in, he has specific clothes, pajamas, and food requirements for each day of the week–if I recall, Thursday is always “pizza night” for Sheldon. So yeah, freaking out over a Band-Aid seems a bit much, especially after the fact.

Lilac June 19, 2013 at 8:50 am

I actually think the freak out ended up being a good thing! Although it’s always best to have a polite spine and let the person know that certain behavior is unacceptable, by putting it on yourself you still got your point across. Which was: that is totally gross. Hopefully your friend learned a bit of a lesson. And she probably learned it embarrassment free as she doesn’t know that you know that it wasn’t your Band-aid. So you actually saved her some embarrassment but made it clear what your cleanliness standards are. Win-win.
I do have to ask though–how do you know it just didn’t fall off and she didn’t notice? Old Band-aids do fall off. You do say you didn’t see her pull it off. It just seems like such a strange thing to do.

Jewel June 19, 2013 at 8:59 am

I totally agree with Abby. While what your guest did did was gross, your reaction of “absolutely freaking out” (when you thought you were the guilty party) left her backed into a corner with no way to fess up and save face. Afterall, everything you were saying about yourself would then be applied to her. Talk about awkward. Silence was her best recourse.

Shoegal June 19, 2013 at 9:00 am

Putting myself in the position of this girl – I would have maybe peeled off a band aid while sitting there but I don’t think that I would have ever left it sitting on the table. At the very least I would have rolled it up – put it in my pocket until I found a suitable trash can. The thought of leaving it sitting there on the table sounds disgusting. If my hostess completely freaked out over the band aid – actually I don’t know how I would have reacted. I suppose there would be a level of shame and embarrassment on my part since the reaction was over the top. I’m not sure if I would fess up to it.

Putting myself in the place of the OP, I don’t think I would have freaked out over seeing the band aid on the table. I do know that I would never mention it again. The incident is over – let it go. There really is no easy or good way to bring it up – and even if you did – what do you want her to say at this point?

Cat June 19, 2013 at 9:18 am

I am trying to come up with a good reason for removing a used band-aid in a friend’s home and then leaving it on her table. I would have been embarrassed if I had been in your place and I thought I’d have left something like that on a table. Naturally, you apologized.
My aunt was a guest in my home for two weeks. Since she had informed me that she used toothpicks rather than dental floss, I kept a supply of toothpicks for her use.
I found out that she would use the toothpick and then lay it down wherever she happened to be at the time. There were used toothpicks with bits of decaying food stuck to them all over my house-at least one on every table.
I explained that this habit was unsanitary and that there were wastepaper baskets in every room in the house. No one had ever told her that this behavior was unacceptable.

Allie June 19, 2013 at 9:28 am

“I suspect she thought it was funny when I started apologizing and didn’t actually care enough to apologize herself.”

What makes you think this? From the story, it seems more likely she was stunned by your reaction and didn’t know what to say. If you think so little of this person and her housekeeping skills, perhaps you shouldn’t be friends. Peeling off a band aid and laying it down in front of you in someone else’s home is perhaps a little odd, but hardly a capital offense. Perhaps she did not want to interrupt your conversation and would have picked it up and discarded it when she was ready to leave or if she had to excuse herself to use the restroom. This seems like a very odd thing to get so upset about.

Misty June 19, 2013 at 9:40 am

I’m surprised at people who say it was an overreaction. In what world is it in ANY way okay to peel off a strip of something that’s smeared in bodily fluids and leave it on someone ELSE’S dinner table where they eat their meals? That is beyond disgusting. I used to own a potbelly pig and SHE knew better, she picked out a spot in the yard where she’d take care of her bathroom business and this spot was as far as possible from where she ate. That is beyond poor manners and your reaction was perfectly fine. What if she did this in a home with small children and one of them picked it up and started playing with it? Is it still an overreaction to get upset? I’d be more than upset – I’d be PISSED. I probably would have told her, “you know what? I thought I invited an adult into my home but I can see now I was mistaken. Please don’t return until you grow the hell up, or grow a brain.” People are given far to many excuses nowadays for immature, or outright idiotic, behavior. You have a brain, you are an adult, ACT LIKE IT.

Lychii June 19, 2013 at 9:58 am

OP, somehow I have the suspicion that your friend thinks you’re a bit of a germ-freak, and lets it slide just as you do with her “gross” behavior. Live and let live.

Abby June 19, 2013 at 10:15 am

@Misty-

Yeah, it’s gross. No one is disputing that. But guess what? Things happen that are gross. Absolutely freaking out over it every time it happens doesn’t help. I am firmly in the camp that OP overreacted, and that trying to come up with a way to confront the friend days after it happened is ridiculous. If OP wants to end a friendship over this that’s her right. And that is exactly what will happen if she confronts the friend in the way you are suggesting.

Barb June 19, 2013 at 10:25 am

It’s possible that the band-aid isn’t covered in bodily fluids or what have you. I’ve certainly used band-aids over completely closed wounds or even bruises that just look bad.

Tsunoba June 19, 2013 at 10:28 am

I’m surprised by all the people saying the OP overreacted. The OP dod say that, at the time, they thought THEY had left the band-aid there. They weren’t freaking out over their friend’s actions; they were embarrassed about what they thought was their own action, and acted accordingly.

OP, at the time, given that you thought it was yours, I can’t think of anything else you should or could have done. Now that it’s over with, I say let it go.

Unless your friend does it again, of course. In which case, try the advice of one of the other commenters.

PhDeath June 19, 2013 at 10:40 am

I think that those chiding the OP for “freaking out” should keep in mind that her reaction may have been largely internal. Given the situation, I can be losing it in my mind (“Oh my gosh. OH my gosh! OH MY GOSH!!!) without giving those feelings away to those around me.

As the OP said, she saw the bandage, thought it was hers, picked it up, and apologized. I think that could have played out differently than some are assuming:

OP (internally): A used bandage. Oh, GROSS. How could I have missed that!?

OP (to friend): Oh, my! I’m so sorry about that. (picks up bandage) I must have missed that in my clean-up!

And I have to say: I’m firmly in the camp that medical waste is something not to be tossed about. I’m a bit of a Sheldon, though… ;)

Stacey Frith-Smith June 19, 2013 at 11:03 am

It’s not pretty, true. But if you’ve ever changed a diaper, mucked out a horse stall, wiped a toddler’s nose, or dealt with pets and people up close- this one should have been easy. The freak-out is excessive.

Nannerdoman June 19, 2013 at 11:08 am

Good heavens. All this fuss for a used band-aid? Yes, it may have been a mild biohazard, but we do have immune systems. Unless someone in the household is severely immunosuppressed, a used band-aid is only mildly to moderately icky (depending on what, if anything, is on the pad). Maybe not the most thoughtful thing to place on the table, but not on a par with changing one’s baby or something.

LovleAnjel June 19, 2013 at 11:11 am

The sight of a used bandaid in the trash makes me gag (I throw something in there to cover it up if I see one). The sight of a used bandaid anywhere else makes me run for the nearest toilet. Even my own bandaids, so I don’t use them very often at all. I’ve always had that reaction, even as a little kid, and I can’t control it. I just makes me incredibly sick, similar to how other people finding a decayed dead rat in their kitchen would react. I can see the OP’s situation happening to me, having to cover my mouth and gulp, and getting a wad of paper towels to pick it up and bury it deep in a covered trashcan, and then apologizing like it had been roadkill on the table instead.

OP’s friend was probably stunned by her reaction, and likely will never do that again. I would keep up the invitations.

Qwisp June 19, 2013 at 11:33 am

I agree with everyone who think that freaking out over a used band-aid is a little excessive. It’s too late to do anything about it so I would just let it go. Why spend anymore time thinking about it? The friend probably peeled it off without thinking and set it in front of herself to pick up later. I’m often surprised while reading these stories about the things that bother some people. I guess that’s why I have very little drama in my life.

NostalgicGal June 19, 2013 at 11:34 am

If I had to remove a bandage at someone else’s house, I would try to do so in the bathroom. If that was not possible, I would at least pick it up myself and convey it to the trash, asking if I needed to. Also for disposal, I was taught if it was the adhesive strip kind, to fold the flaps over, sticky side in, over the gauze part to make it a neater package that will keep to itself. These later years, with lots of ‘biohazard handling’ training and experience, yes, it should be wrapped in a tissue. IF there is a biohazard container available, dispose of the bandage in that if there is bodily fluids concerned.

As far as the OP is concerned, she was in the right, absorbing the faux pas as ‘her *mistake*’ and dealing with it. As for the friendship with this person, that is something that is between the OP and this person.

June First June 19, 2013 at 11:48 am

The way the comments were going, I was afraid I’d have to stop eating my lunch while reading them!

@Mojo–It’s not polite to correct someone on their bad manners or habits, unless they’re a close relative. (ie, Cat’s story about the toothpicks.) Even then, it’s probably best to only use that in extenuating circumstances with adults. You’re not their mother.

OP, if this is still grossing you out, I’d recommend meeting this friend at a neutral location next time. Then you won’t have to worry about what she’s bringing to/leaving at your house.

bansidhe June 19, 2013 at 12:37 pm

While I certainly wouldn’t leave a used Band-Aid anywhere except in the trash, even at my own house, I cannot imagine freaking out at the sight of one. If said “freakout” was actually visible or audible, that’s seriously OTT. If the OP had just picked the thing up with a tissue and deposited it in the trash without saying anything, that would have been fine.

I have to wonder if people who are freaked out by stuff like used Band-Aids have pets or children…

Eileen June 19, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I know some people are more squeamish than others, and may have had a strong reaction to seeing a used bandage. I do wonder though if it had anything actually on it, or was just for protection, to cover a torn fingernail, etc. and not a wound with fluids of some type, although I agree that it should have been disposed of differently.
But besides the points already covered, I’m wondering if I missed something, because everyone is assuming it was left on the dining table. I thought perhaps a side table where the guest had her purse, or keys, or beverage, etc. to be picked up when she left?

Marozia June 19, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Absolutely vulgar! At least the friend could put it her pocket or handbag instead of leaving it on another person’s table.
Do what you like in your own home but when at another home, please use proper etiquette.

Jenn50 June 19, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I’m an EMT who deals with blood and bodily fluids all the time. I’m also mother to an autistic seven year old who isn’t fully toilet trained and doesn’t have a full understanding of hygiene, meaning I am constantly cleaning up disgusting things. None of this bothers me, but for some reason, used band aids make me gag. The thought of finding one sitting on a table in my house creeps me out. I don’t know what OP means by “absolutely freaked out”, but I certainly understand a strong reaction of disgust.

Goodness June 19, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Maybe I’m a barbarian, but I just don’t worry about bodily fluids (that phrase always takes me back to Dr. Strangelove) and such. Especially with close friends whom I’ve probably hugged & even kissed a zillion times — if we haven’t poisoned each other by now, I doubt we’re going to. So — minus the hysterics — I’d probably have done pretty much what OP did, and disposed of the bandaid myself. Though I might have waited until she left or went to the bathroom rather than embarrass her by doing it in front of her.

schnickelfritz June 19, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I am in the Misty /Lovleanjel / Cat camp here. I have a seriously weak stomach. Cat, your toothpick story really heaved me!

However, the OP did think it was her bandage, so I don’t think she overeacted, since it was on the TABLE. And she initially thought it was hers (although I am usually aware if I am sporting a bandaid or not at any time).

And, I do take into account, sometimes old bandaids from the box do lose the adhesive, and fall off by themselves.

I believe our mixed reactions here, depend on if you have a weak stomach. I don’t even have to see an issue; I actually gagged reading Cat’s post!

Eileen June 19, 2013 at 5:51 pm

PS.. Maybe it’s just me not being too squeamish after growing up with siblings and having kids, but I would have just picked it up & washed my hands, especially if I thought (at the time) it was mine anyway.

SJ June 19, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I think you’re apology when you assumed it was yours got your message across.

And, the comments have provided good ways to react if someone every does it again!

MichelleP June 19, 2013 at 7:03 pm

As a nurse, I can tell you that a Band Aid, even one that covered a cut, is not a biohazard. The most it would have is a few specks of blood on it. Unless someone puts in their mouth and eats it, it will not harm anyone. Even then it most likely wouldn’t. I know some people have weaker stomachs than others, but anyone gagging over reading a post and “freaking out” over a bandaid needs to get a grip.

@Misty, if you react that way when one of your “friends” does anything remotely gross, how do you have any friends?

Gotta say she shouldn’t have left it there, of course.

Vicki June 19, 2013 at 11:31 pm

I’m wondering whether the visitor realized the bandaid had fallen off before LW said something. A few times, I have put a bandaid on my arm or leg, and then discovered it on the floor of my bedroom, or stuck to the inside of a garment.

Someone who might have said “I think that might have fallen off my arm” if her host had said “I wonder where this bandaid came from” might not have thought of that, or wanted to admit it might be hers, in response to a host who assumed responsibility and treated it as a big deal.

Yes, if the guest knew it was hers she should have said something–though I agree with the other commenters that, while not planned, LW’s reaction may have sent the message she wants sent. But it wouldn’t be that weird or cowardly to keep quiet rather than saying “wait a minute, I think that might be mine, I cut myself yesterday, let me check” and rolling up her sleeve or pants leg.

Xena Xavier June 20, 2013 at 5:17 am

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but when I read this story all I could think was “Who on Earth peels off a bandage in front of company?” Even if you’re sure the wound is completely healed and want to discard the plaster, wouldn’t you wait until you got home or the next time you had to use the bathroom?

Maybe it’s just me, but tending to a wound is something best done in private. Would anyone over the age of 10 pick at a scab while chatting with a friend? To give OP a reply, it sounds like your friend was either too embarrassed to own up to it being her plaster, or just didn’t care/was amused by your reaction. I agree with others here, it’s done and dusted. Let it go.

Chocobo June 20, 2013 at 9:30 am

Actually, I think the letter writer did exactly the right thing. The girl has the opportunity to be embarrassed and realize what she did was disgusting and wrong, but also to save face because it appears that you don’t know it was hers. It would have been a wonderful tactic even if you did know it was hers. Well done!

Chocobo June 20, 2013 at 9:33 am

P.S. I suspect that the friend didn’t say anything not because she didn’t care enough to apologize herself, but because she was embarrassed and didn’t want to say that it was her bandaid.

NostalgicGal June 20, 2013 at 10:06 am

@ MichelleP,
I respect your day job, but all the training I ever had in the workplace and for first aid training was that any bodily fluid is potentially a biohazard. If the other has Hepatitis C, HIV, or possibly was exposed to a number of other viruses; the slightest bit of contact is a potential for infection.

One place I worked at, we bought bandaids by the bulk box as everyone ended up tearing cuticles and with the fingertip slice cuts from the materials we handled; in the morning it was common to stop at the box and get 4-6 and preapply to your fingers to protect the cuticles. And we had HIV positive employees, so. There were procedures we had to do, and it was done for everyone, whether you were positive or not.

To this day I will still treat anything with bodily fluids as a biohazard… and I have a waste stream to deal with now being diabetic. I am negative for carrying anything at my last check, but I will still follow protocol because it is what you do out of Courtesy For Others who don’t know your own status regarding that stuff.

And a lot of people here are mentioning, they are totally grossed out by a used bandaid. That is a normal response.

The OP did things correctly, erring on the hostess polite side of ‘oh it must have been mine’ and cleaning it up. The guest was wrong for peeling it in public, for leaving it lie in public, and for not dealing with it (such as tuck the flaps and dispose of in trash. Tucking the flaps keeps the sticky to itself and folds them over each other and over the pad, so that part can’t be seen and to keep it from hopefully adhering to everything else in the trash.)

Mae June 20, 2013 at 10:54 am

If the OP really expressed herself, out loud, as described, then I would understand why the friend did not say anything. Personally, I agree that it is completely gross and the friend should have thrown it in the wastebasket or perhaps waited until she visited the powder room to dispose of it.

My sister does things like this. I finally had to chose to either address it or put up with it. I addressed it and she chose to visit less often.

Din June 20, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I think it’s kind of funny what you did. Either she’ll think you’re being completely strange and not get it, or she might think you’re being passive agressive (doubt it. she doesn’t seem that clueful), or best case scenario, she’ll realize what she did was totally gross and be terribly embarrassed. Any way you slice it, at this point what’s done is done. Perhaps you want to see her in public places from now on, rather than host her at your house, however, if her hygiene is lacking.

Pauline June 20, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I agree with Ripple and Abby – your over-reaction was extreme. But what she did was truly disgusting.

I don’t wanna sound harsh, but I’m wondering why your first thought was to freak out and/ feel mortified that you had done something so completely out of character?

I would have seen that bandaid and instantly realized there was no way I left it there and then addressed the (minor) issue calmly.

Please take this suggestion in the best spirit — I highly recommend either yoga or daily meditation to help ground you and take any upsets in your stride.

Also, perhaps take a long hard look at this friend’s behavior and decide whether you can handle these aspects of her personality or whether they are as disrespectful as they appear to be. So yucky! Who does that?!

JCal June 20, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I frequently use a band-aid to cover a break below the quick of my fingernails. The band-aid keeps the nail from being ripped off until it grows enough to cut it off. If it’s one of those band-aids then I’ll peel it off and put it beside me until I get up to throw it away. If it’s one that had some fluid on it, I’ll throw it in the trash immediately.

I’d say let this one go and in the future if she does it make it known it’s bothering to you. Freaking out, though? It was a band-aid, she didn’t walk in with sewage dripping off her body. She may have had every intention of throwing it away, next time she was up.

littlebosammy June 20, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I agree with Ripple – the friend was probably embarrassed, let it go. I’m guessing OP doesn’t have kids or this story would have never been submitted.