Political Graciousness Is Nothing To Poo Poo About

by admin on September 5, 2013

Last week you posted, “The submitted stories to Ehell rarely contain positive, happy content and sometimes I get overwhelmed with the abundance of ugliness that exists in people,” so I thought I would share a happy etiquette story with you.

Some years ago, while my daughter was going through potty training, I hosted a dinner for the governor of my state. This is not the kind of thing I usually do (and I wasn’t even in his party!) but my parents were big supporters and through a bizarre chain of events, I found myself planning a dinner at my home for ten big-money guests and the governor.

I was nervous, of course, but I cooked no-fail stuff that tasted good, everyone seemed to have a good time, and it all went well. I remembered my etiquette lessons and kept my mouth shut about my personal politics.

My daughter was playing in her room with her older brother during the dinner–I had given him treats and toys to keep her entertained while the dinner was going on–and paid him for his time. But 9-year-old boys are not known for their attention span, and while we were enjoying dessert, he missed it when his sister went to the bathroom to use her potty seat.

For those of you who have potty-trained children, I am sure you know that every successful use of the proper facility is greeted with cheers and praise. But this time, mommy was at the dining table, completely ignoring her daughter.

Daughter decides that the solution to this dilemma is to carry the potty seat, with abundant contents, and find mommy to collect her praise.

She toddles into the room, contents sloshing about, and drops the potty seat next to me–and the governor. As you can imagine, I was appalled and probably turning purple. The whole table went silent. I couldn’t imagine how etiquette would handle THIS!

The governor stood up, began clapping, and said “Good job! Bravo! That’s wonderful!” Then the whole table joined in clapping and cheering.

To me, this was the epitome of manners. He is no longer governor but still in the public eye and I see him on television occasionally. Even though I don’t share his politics, I fondly remember how classy he was with poo on his shoes.    0828-13

Mabel September 5, 2013 at 6:58 am

Ahhh! That’s awesome! What a great thing to do.

Erin September 5, 2013 at 7:37 am

That’s adorable!

Cat September 5, 2013 at 7:39 am

That’s a great story for this site. What is the proper thing to do when your toddler presents her success in the bathroom at your dinner party? I would have cracked up and given her a cookie.

Vicky September 5, 2013 at 8:07 am

That is a fabulous story. Thank you for sharing.

Margaret September 5, 2013 at 8:13 am

Hilarious! And, a man who knows not than to alienate a future voter, even one that won’t vote for 19 years or so.

Ashley September 5, 2013 at 8:17 am

Bravo!
This story just made my day a lot better!

PhDeath September 5, 2013 at 8:21 am

Classic! And a great story for your daughter “Your ‘accomplishments’ were applauded by a Governor!” ;)

Green123 September 5, 2013 at 8:25 am

What a lovely story and what a great sense of humour your guest had, OP.

(and what a great story to tell your daughter when she’s a grown up – I can see the blushes at her hen party or baby shower already!)

skv September 5, 2013 at 8:30 am

This made my day! What a great story :)

Wild Irish Rose September 5, 2013 at 8:33 am

He was obviously a father as well as being the governor. So glad that worked out the way it did!

LeeLee88 September 5, 2013 at 8:53 am

What a guy!

just4kicks September 5, 2013 at 8:58 am

I don’t know why, but your story actually choked me up and I have tears in my eyes. What a classy man, and kudos to your guests for joining in with the applause. ….And what an awesome story for your little girl to be able to tell as she grows up. “Yeah, well…the Governor of the state once gave me a standing ovation for making a poop!!!!” I love it! Nice to know some politicians are still human. :)

Missusmidas September 5, 2013 at 9:08 am

hahahaha that is adorable! How old is she now? That is a family story to treasure. The former governor sounds like a good man and most likely a dad with that reaction.

AS September 5, 2013 at 9:39 am

AH! That is beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

Allie September 5, 2013 at 9:42 am

Aw, what a nice story. He would have had my vote after that. I hope others will follow your example and submit some more happy stories.

Liz September 5, 2013 at 9:53 am

Oh that’s wonderful! It’s always lovely to see people go out of their way to make others comfortable.

Ellex September 5, 2013 at 10:10 am

Hahahaha! That’s awesome.

The Elf September 5, 2013 at 10:15 am

How wonderful!

Sarah September 5, 2013 at 10:49 am

Great story!

Kimstu September 5, 2013 at 10:52 am

Etiquette WIN all around! (Except of course for the toddler who was too young to know any better anyway.) I’m also impressed by the OP’s skilful recounting of the story to make it clear that her admiration for the governor’s courtesy overcame her disagreements with his political positions, without any superfluous explanation of what those disagreements were! This truly is a story of graciousness that transcends partisanship.

An September 5, 2013 at 10:56 am

That is fantastic. It’s just so nice to see people react like that.

sarah September 5, 2013 at 11:14 am

That’s such a sweet story :)

whiskeytangofoxtrot September 5, 2013 at 11:17 am

That’s class.

padua September 5, 2013 at 11:28 am

sounds like a great experience. thanks for sharing it. having a two year old myself, i smiled when i thought of what my own child would do if he didn’t get the praise he’d been expecting. what a class act!

Angel September 5, 2013 at 11:34 am

That is wonderful that he had a sense of humor. If it makes you feel any better my brother-in-law was famous for doing this when his mom was in the middle of entertaining guests for afternoon coffee. But he would bring it out there and ask for the 25 cents that was promised to him for his piggy bank lol!

Calli Arcale September 5, 2013 at 11:36 am

This story brought happy tears to my eyes. It’s so nice to be reminded that politicians are people too, and most of them are also parents; he knew exactly what you do when a child of that age successfully potties and wants to show off their success. Bravo indeed! That man is a class act. ;-)

Wendy B. September 5, 2013 at 11:38 am

I love it!

Another Alice September 5, 2013 at 11:50 am

This may be my favorite story ever. :-)

Kate September 5, 2013 at 11:56 am

Well done, Governor! It’s nice to hear that people can be truly kind and gracious even across party lines.

Lisa September 5, 2013 at 12:04 pm

hahaha That’s awesome! I’m potty training my daughter right now so I sympathize!

L.J. September 5, 2013 at 12:08 pm

That’s adorable! Quick thinking on the governor’s part!

Rachel September 5, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Wonderful little story, thank you for sharing!

Brenda September 5, 2013 at 12:13 pm

That is the perfect example of good manners.

Nichole September 5, 2013 at 12:22 pm

That has to be one of the cutest stories ever! Bravo to him for handling the situation in the best way possible :)

Library Diva September 5, 2013 at 12:31 pm

That is an amazing story from start to finish. What a class act the governor was — I’m betting that he’d been through potty training with a child himself, either as a parent or as a very close relative.

SamiHami September 5, 2013 at 12:36 pm

That is so gracious! He really saved the day with that reaction. I hope you never let your daughter live it down… :)

Dyan September 5, 2013 at 12:49 pm

to me that is a classy man!!!

EllenS September 5, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Well done, Governor!

JGM1764 September 5, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Nice, must be a parent himself. I understand why OP didn’t name him, but I’m so curious as to who he is!

helen-louise September 5, 2013 at 1:33 pm

This might actually be the best story I’ve read on this site.

momofeveryone September 5, 2013 at 1:35 pm

lol!!! this was great! im in potty training mode over here, its been an event!

siamesecat 2965 September 5, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I laughed but yes, what an awesome thing for the governer to do.

It reminds me of something, either I read in a book or whatnot, but which totally escapes me. I think though, the basics were someone was at a fancy dinner party, and wasn’t quite sure about what to do with all the “stuff” on the table. Mainly the fingerbowl, which had a pretty flower floating in it.

Thinking it was some sort of soup, the guest drank it, and the host and other guests followed suit. The guest later realized or found out what its true purpose was, and was grateful that the host went along with their faux pas, so as not to draw attention to them, and make them feel uncomfortable.

WifeyDear September 5, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I especially like this story because it’s not about political scandal! While this is possibly not the most important thing said Governor ever did, it’s got to be one if the sweetest and most gracious things ANYone has done :)

siamesecat 2965 September 5, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Thanks to the wonders of Google, I know what it is. It’s from Sylvia Plath’s The Bell Jar, where she’s invited to lunch at a famous novelist’s home, and drinks the fingerbowl, thinking its some sort of soup…but he never lets on she made an etitquette “error”

amyasleigh September 5, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Kudos to the governor, for being a good sport; however, any politician with half a brain, will realise that being positive about anything involving kids and their antics, is the thing to do — the majority of people, and potential voters, are parents, and having kids is generally recognised as a Good Thing — even in the People’s Republic of China, where you’re supposed only to have one…

Jenna September 5, 2013 at 2:54 pm

What a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing.

gramma dishes September 5, 2013 at 3:09 pm

That’s the definition of “class act”!

Am I the only one wondering who this governor was? I’d vote for him, I think, based on just this story alone. He has shown compassion, understanding, ability to think on his feet and respect for all people including the youngest among us and somewhat reluctant hosts. I say “Bravo! Mr. Governor!”

Such a nice change to hear a story where it’s not the politician who’s throwing around a lot of well … poop.

kingsrings September 5, 2013 at 4:05 pm

LOL!! I’ve hear similar stories about such incidents from my parent friends. One had two little toddler girls, and at a dinner party one time, the older one felt like she needed to go out from the room they’d been kept in into the party to announce that her little sister had taken off her poopy diaper and was throwing poop all over the room – and she brought poopy diaper along with her to show as proof. Another time at a gathering a different friend was having, her toddler son came running out from the bathroom with his pants around his ankles and was yelling for his mom to come and wipe his butt. See, she hadn’t heard him when he was yelling for her while sitting on the toilet, so he took matters into his own hands.

Surianne September 5, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Funny and gracious, sounds like he was a true class act. I loved this story, thank you for sharing it with us!

DGS September 5, 2013 at 6:25 pm

What a wonderful and sweet story!