Birth Photography

by admin on October 15, 2013

I do a little photography as a sideline (just for fun and friends). I get news feeds from several professional photographer’s pages via my Facebook because I like to see what others do and get inspiration and ideas. However one of these photographers -who specializes in babies- posted something that had me a little puzzled and rather bemused (or is that grossed out?).

You see, she is now offering photography of you (the client) in the act of GIVING BIRTH!! That’s right, she comes into the delivery suite with you and photographs the entire process! The photographer claims that she will do it in a sensitive ‘photo-journalist’ style….but I had to wonder….is this going a little too far?!

Hey, I’m okay with a nice portrait of mummy showing off her big round belly or a cute shot of the newborn (although I’m a little puzzled by the ones that insist on photographing it naked). But do you really want a special occasion like giving birth, a time when frankly nobody looks their best, being captured by a stranger wielding a camera and flash equipment? And what do the doctors and nurses feel about this? I’m wondering what the EtiquitteHell world has to say on this. 1011-13

The hospitals and some birthing centers in my area limit the number of “guests” in the birthing room to three or four — the husband, doula, and grandmom to be, for example.   When my eldest daughter gave birth, I yielded my “spot” to my younger daughter because the staff would not allow more than three in the room during delivery.   If my youngest had been bumped out of the room by the photographer, there would be some hard feelings about that.   Hiring a professional photographer to record the experience who must therefore displace a family member seems to me to be an example of wanting good photographs taking precedence over relationships.

TeamBhakta October 15, 2013 at 11:14 am

” Also the photos are kept private and shared with only a few people, for example mothers and sisters usually.”

Rachel, that may be true in your area. But the Shut The (front door) Parents site taught me that’s unfortunately not true most of the time

Allie October 15, 2013 at 11:19 am

To each his own, I suppose, subject of course to the rules and procedure in place at the hospital. I certainly didn’t want anyone photographing me while I was giving birth, nor did I want anyone in the room other than my husband and necessary medical personnel. Our doula did take some photographs AFTER it was all said and done and everyone, including baby, was clothed and/or swaddled, as the case may be. Those pictures are strictly for personal use and shall not be shared with any family other than my husband and daughter.

LovleAnjel October 15, 2013 at 11:46 am

Only hubby was with me for labor and birth. I had prolonged labor and ended up with an emergency CS. I was so exhausted I could barely open my eyes, so I have no memory of what my baby looked like that night. My first memory of seeing her was from the next day. I wish I had hired a photographer so I could see her covered in her birth goo, my hubby cutting the cord, after her first sponge bath, and the first time I held her (which was really just her being laid on my chest, since I could barely move).

Ashley October 15, 2013 at 11:56 am

Birth photography is not uncommon. A lot of parenting and birth advocacy blogs routine post pictures submitted by new parents. Many of them are homebirths, not hospital births. It’s not a gross as you’d think. Common examples are black and whites of the mother laboring with her partner and/or doula and then of the moments immediately following the birth when mom and dad are meeting their baby for the first time. It’s not for everyone and not something I personally would be interested in doing. But if a birthing mother wishes a photographer to be present during labor and it doesn’t otherwise interfere with her or baby’s care, I don’t see a problem with it. It is a personal choice.

Angel October 15, 2013 at 12:01 pm

If there is a market for this kind of photography, why not? I see nothing wrong with it as long as the medical professionals are okay with it and the parents to be want it. That being said I would never do this myself. Unbeknownst to me my husband took a photo of my doctor in the act of pulling the baby out of me when I had the C-section. It was pretty gross. Fortunately it was digital so we deleted it after he thoroughly grossed me out with it. Some people don’t see it as gross though. If they can look at the birth of the baby as some kind of art form or something, hey more power to them!

Ergala October 15, 2013 at 12:13 pm

We recorded our youngest’s birth. We are the ones who watch it on his birthday…just my husband and I. When he’s older he can see it and it’s a great teaching tool for our oldest when it comes to learning about that part of life. (he isn’t there yet…we home school so it would be part of a lesson plan and the video doesn’t show my nether region).

As for “bumping” people out…it’s really up to the woman pushing the baby out who is in the room. If I had told my husband to get out the nurses would have had him leave. I was there for the birth of my sister’s first baby, I wasn’t there for the birth of her youngest. To me it was a moment that should be between her and her husband since that baby was the last for them. I have no idea if they requested someone else be there, it’s none of my business to be honest. She wasn’t there for the birth of my youngest, she was taking care of my oldest while I was giving birth. Her job was the most important. She came shortly after my little one was born to meet her newest nephew.

If people want to get pictures taken so what….that’s THEIR choice. We can’t be judging them for that simply because it’s not something we would do. My husband and I don’t believe in circumcision, it doesn’t mean I judge those who do. Photography is a very personal choice when it comes to the delivery room.

Lisa October 15, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I don’t even understand why anyone would want family members in the birthing room. I sure as heck didn’t. My husband was there and he didn’t even want to look “down there”!!

Elizabeth October 15, 2013 at 12:30 pm

To each his own. Personally, I think it distracts from living in the moment. Experience the moment rather than record it.

Stacy October 15, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I am a photographer and I have photographed 3 births so far, all in hospitals. As far as I can tell, none of the hospital staff had any issues with it. I make sure to stay away from where the staff is working and ask them before everything starts where I can stand. It’s not like we are photographing the actual head coming out or anything (although, I’m sure some do) but it’s more of the moments of the experience. Like said above, Daddy holding her hand as she pushes, holding your baby for the first time and what I think makes the whole thing worth it…capturing a photo of the babies very first breath. It’s truly amazing and I think the parents can look back later and really relive the experience.

Devil's Advocate October 15, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I’m surprised this was posted at all, it’s not an etiquette question its simply a personal choice.

As t the admin, you can’t have it both ways–in prior posting a family member’s vacation time being more important then attending their brother’s wedding was acceptable and shouldn’t have caused hard feelings. If that’s acceptable, then why is a person’s feelings/choices who is not giving birth suddenly greater then the feelings/choices of the one giving birth.

Mom has the finally say. Personally we videotaped our 1st child, didn’t with our second child. We agreed with @Elizabeth–it distracted from the moment.

MichelleP October 15, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Totally with admin on this. If other people want to do it, knock themselves out, but I can easily see people posting pics like that on public sites. I don’t need to see family members and friends giving birth. This is just another example of how our society has completely done away with privacy and respect for boundaries.

MichelleP October 15, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I don’t understand why anyone would want pictures or recordings of anything that goes on in a delivery room, especially someone’s else’s birth!I remember my child’s birth clearly enough just fine, I don’t need pics of it.

As a nurse, I can tell you that it is not a good idea to have a photographer in a delivery room. I’ve seen firsthand that all they do is get in the way.

denise miller October 15, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I love birth photography. When I found out I would have to have repeat cesareans for my last two babies, it was really hard on me to know that I wouldn’t have a birth photographer there. I needed my husband to be my support, but I so wanted to capture their first moments in the world. Not to share, but for me.

I wanted to have our first meeting captured, something I could share with them as they grew, something I could treasure forever.

Our son and second born arrived via emergency cesarean and was whisked off to the NICU, our first meeting was several hours later and now that he isn’t here, I wish I had more pictures.

Just because it isn’t something you would want or you would pay for, desire or any of the above, doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing. And really, had it of bumped out a person from the room, who is to say that person would have been there anyways? It’s awful presumptuous to assume that a family member would have a spot that a photographer did. A professional birth photographer is just that, a professional, they are not a sister/mom/daughter/cousin/friend/other person that feels they are entitled to be in the room.

It’s one of those things where it affects you no more than if that mom decided to circumcise, which makes it none of your business.

Kirst October 15, 2013 at 1:59 pm

If it’s what the parents want and it’s not causing a hazard, I can’t see what the problem is. Family don’t have an automatic right to be there.

Leah October 15, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Very, very common practice. As stated by another comment above, often takes place in settings where the number of people present is not restricted, such as a home birth. I’m also a photographer and have done birth photos before. Sometimes you take them directly AFTER the baby comes out (such as when the mother first holds the baby, a time when pictures are very common whether there’s a pro photog present or not). Other times, yes, they want the pictures taken during the birthing process.

It’s important to realize that, if you are hired (or hire someone) to do something this intimate, chances are good you don’t just find a stranger on the internet, have them come to the birth, hand over a check, and never talk to them again. Both clients and photogs I know that participate in this are usually fairly closely bonded either before or afterwards. I’ve taken birth photos for people that were good friends, and in the situations where I didn’t know them well beforehand, I got to know them (and the new kiddo) well afterwards.

Anyone giving birth has strong emotions about who will be present in the room. That doesn’t change. Just because one of the people they choose to be there has a camera in his/ her hand, and was hired to do it, doesn’t mean that person was not also chosen to be present on the basis of emotional connections. I consider it an honor to be asked, and I treat the situation accordingly.

All of that aside, this doesn’t seem like an etiquette issue. It seems, frankly, like a judgmental wrinkling of the nose at a practice the OP herself wouldn’t want to do, and therefore feels as though anyone who might want to do it must be breaking some sort of rule. Shock, horror, chest-clasp, etc.

Live and let live, people, and maybe try to understand someone else’s complex reasons behind their choices before just writing them off because it’s not something you can imagine yourself wanting to do. Etiquette is about how behavior affects others. Unless someone is forcing you to have a photographer in the room while you have your child, this isn’t your problem. Next, please.

Miss-E October 15, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Ruby and Gena – if it’s your kid then his first tooth/day of school etc IS that exciting. I don’t understand why it’s an issue, as long as no one is forcing them on you, who cares if someone photographs their birth or kids first tooth??

Mer October 15, 2013 at 2:09 pm

As a comment for admin’s post in comment section. I have to admit, that I might find professional photographer less stressing than having some family member present in situation like that. I usually stress a lot less about strangers than family/friends. Strangers are just that. I probably never meet them again. I don’t have to think what they think about me or what they will remember about me when we meet next 100 times (like my bare private parts :) ). Frankly, I don’t care about them on personal level. And perhaps most importantly, I don’t have to worry about them or how they are holding together or feeling. And I know that many don’t think like this, for most people it is soothing to have familiar people around in stressing situations. For me, it often just adds to the worry.

So on that basis, I’d probably rather have a professional stranger to photograph should I want the photographs rather than have a relative to take them. As few have mentioned, sometimes one might need heavy medication during childbirth and be totally out at the time baby is born. So it might be actually nice to have a good photo about it, and professional frees the relevant persons to concentrate fully on the birth itself.

ladycrim October 15, 2013 at 2:09 pm

My dad took photos of the whole delivery when I was born. As a kid, for some reason I loved looking at those pictures and I’m glad they exist. However, AFAIK those photos were never shown to anyone outside immediate family, and I know they would have never made it onto social media if such a thing had existed back then. So a family member taking snaps is something I’d be OK with, but hiring a professional photographer is, IMHO, going rather overboard.

Of course, now I’m just imagining scenarios. “Ooh, the lighting wasn’t good on that shot. Can you put the kid back in and we’ll take it again?”

Leah October 15, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Also:

-In terms of the “gross” factor, or the idea of photographing the genitals, etc… just like any other type of pro photography, birth photography has its nuances that professionals know and use! I shoot a lot of weddings, and during the “bride getting ready” photos, I don’t take pictures of her changing her underwear. When I take family pictures, I don’t get shots of the little kid picking his nose. Part of the point of hiring a pro for photos is that he or she knows what makes a good photo and what doesn’t need to be recorded!

-Regarding the idea of the person being in the way, the room being full of equipment, etc… flash is not required to shoot these pictures. Room lighting is more than enough. It’s not like you bring along a studio set-up with umbrella lights and strobes. Just like any other situation where “journalistic,” recording-style photography is required, a pro can function perfectly well with a hand-held camera, a single lens, and standing well out of the way. It’s what they’re paid to do.

Ellex October 15, 2013 at 3:27 pm

“Experience the moment rather than record it.”

Well, that is why you hire a photographer for a special occasion. So you can experience it and they can record it. Best of both worlds.

Marozia October 15, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Not really my sort of thing, but if other like it, OK.

KMC October 15, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I find this just another example of how people choose to judge and shame others for harmless decisions that they wouldn’t make themselves. Other people’s pregnancy and birthing experiences belong to them. Yours belong to you. Do with it what you choose and don’t shove it in other people’s faces. But likewise, you don’t get to decide that because it’s something you wouldn’t do that it is wrong.

Birth photography wasn’t for me. I didn’t want it. I was also lucky enough to have a relatively easy labor and be focused enough to see my baby being born. It was amazing. I can’t judge any mother or father for wanting to be able to see it, even if it is later – in pictures.

KMC October 15, 2013 at 3:47 pm

“I think this is just part of the trend of new parents believing they are the only ones to ever give birth, and their pregnancy and birth experience is more “special” than anyone elses.”

This trend is hardly new….there have been parents around with this attitude for ages.

McGrizz October 15, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Lol, I’m just imagining the photographer asking the new mom for the “money shot.”

Mrs. B October 15, 2013 at 4:28 pm

If the doc/hospital allows it and the parents want it, go for it. I, personally, don’t want anyone in the room except necessary medical staff and my husband. Heck, I don’t even want the rest of the family in the hospital until this baby is born and I’m ready to deal with them.

kingsrings October 15, 2013 at 6:05 pm

When I was in a high school sex ed class, we watched an episode of the ‘Donahue’ show where a woman actually had given birth live on the air! It had taken place back in the late 60’s-early 70’s when the show first debuted. It was a family who was doing a home birth and allowed the cameras in to film and air it. Quite unheard of at that time to say the least!!

If a couple wants to photograph the birth moment, that’s their right and business. However, it becomes an everyone issue when they insist on showing the photos to everyone (other than a few family members and close friends, for example), and even posting them online! I certainly don’t want to see that, and I consider it very inappropriate and nothing but voyeuristic on their part. I agree with what admin said earlier. I’d report the photos if they were on Facebook.

Michelle October 15, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I am going to politely disagree with the admin. I feel it is up to the parents who, if anyone, they want in the room during their child’s birth. Some hospitals/birthing centers don’t have a limit, but should an excited new pair of parents feel capturing great photos of their child’s birth is more important than auntie/grandma seeing, then that is their right. I would be a bit perturbed if I made such a decision and my family had hard feelings over it. Who are they to tell me how to have MY birth?

Waltzing Matilda October 15, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I suppose it depends on what forum the photo is to be ‘displayed’. About 15 years ago, the son and DIL of my neighbours had a photographer in the labour ward taking photos. After the birth, they presented the parents (both sides, I understand), a large framed photo of the baby emerging from his mother’s vagina. A lovely intimate photo, but not one you could really hang on the living room wall! Our neighbours were an older coulple and, the husband especially, was absolutely mortified at being presented a photo of his DIL’s privates. So, all power to them if it’s what they want, but a degree of caution about where the photo ends up.

Helen October 15, 2013 at 6:55 pm

When I was a child, my sisters and I came across a stack of photos my father had taken of my mother while she was in labor with one of my sisters.

Yikes! Nobody wants to see that!

I can’t imagine letting anyone other than my husband and the trained medical personnel into the room while giving birth. A photographer who will document my nether-region? Hayle no.

I think you’re on the right of this one.

Calliope October 15, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I don’t quite understand how the sudden popularity of birth photographers indicates that my generation of mothers “thinks we’re the first ones to ever give birth” or thinks that our pregnancies are “more special than everyone else’s.” These photographs are a trend, probably inspired by a certain website devoted to “pinning” ideas, which is also a trend. Labor and delivery photography is not something that was widely available when previous generations gave birth, but who’s to say women wouldn’t have taken advantage of it if they’d had the option? Yes, women give birth every day. It’s common. It’s also incredibly special. If someone wants photographic documentation of what is surely one of the most important days of her life, who am I to judge?

The Elf October 15, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Word, Ruby. Record it if you want but for the love of all that is holy, don’t post it to facebook, instagram, youtube, vine, or stick it on a mass email.

Jenn50 October 15, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I’m trying to keep from getting defensive here, because it really IS a matter of personal preference, and not really an etiquette issue. I would never want photo documentation of my delivery, but nobody is forcing me to have it done, or to view their albums. So it’s none of my business if that’s what others want to do. If their medical team is okay with it, why should it matter to me? If they try to show you the pics afterwards, you can just say, ” These pictures are really personal, I’d rather not.”

I guess the part I’m REALLY getting defensive over are the posters expressing horror that someone would want their family present during labour and delivery. Are my husband and I really the only couple out there who genuinely like both sets of parents, and find their presence comforting and welcome? It’s possible to be in the room while a baby is born and not get an eyeful of private body parts. Both sets of grandparents were there off and on for our first of three children’s birth, and they stayed focused north of my waist and didn’t get in the way. They kept the situation light by joking with us when appropriate, held my hand, rubbed my back, and spelled my husband out for breaks during the 24 hours of labour and 3 hours of pushing. When my son was finally delivered, blue and pulseless, they helped us stay calm while the team successfully rescuscitated him. We would have felt so scared and alone without them, and the hospital staff had no problem with the extra people, as they stayed out of the way, and stepped out when asked. While I see nothing wrong with having just your husband there, I’m actually sad that so many people consider the folks that gave birth to them and raised them unwelcome intruders. Whatever the couple decides should rule, with the labouring woman having veto power, in my opinion.

AnaMaria October 15, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I see this all the time (I have dabbled in the modeling industry and therefore am friends with many photographers on facebook, and often see pics of their birth sessions). There are two hospitals in my hometown and neither one is fussy about how many people can be in the room- if there are biological children in my future and it’s okay with my future husband, I would like to have one of my births captured in photos. My personal requirements would be a female photographer who I knew well, and who was experienced in birth photography (I already have a few connections who meet these requirements). An experienced birth photographer isn’t going to be any more phased by what’s going on than the doctors or nurses, and I would love to be able to show my son or daughter a picture of the moment when we first met him or her. Unless there is a huge age gap between my children, I can’t picture myself wanting other children in the delivery room with me- or my parents, for that matter. The last thing I would want while in labor is another small child running around (or traumatized because mommy is laying in a hospital bed screaming in pain!) and/or my well-intentioned mother hovering over me! I’d much rather have a professional photographer capture the moment and share it via photos with friends and family.

Kate October 15, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I also don’t get this one! When I give birth, I want my husband, my mum, and the doctors there. The whole icky process will be viewed on a need-to-see basis, not photographed so I can upload it all to Facebook! I don’t even like the idea of having a photo taken until everyone involved is all cleaned up.
I can just imagine the nurses and doctors not loving this new trend. Imagine if the photographer got in the way of the medical professionals trying to do their job?

Melnick October 15, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I only wanted my husband with me when we had our children. Had I have wanted others, I would have been allowed them but it was something special for him and I . Most people I know only have their partner. Sometimes they’ll bring a sister/mother/daughter but it doesn’t matter either way. No one judges you for doing it, no one judges you for not doing it and no one’s feelings are hurt if you aren’t invited in. There’s no expectation here.

I was mortified at the idea of having the birth videoed. I couldn’t understand why anyone would do it. I didn’t even want the mirror they offered so I could watch my son being born but I didn’t know how to say I didn’t want to watch my child being born so I just said ‘ok’. Oh my! It was the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed! When I die, if your life flashes before your life, I believe this will be the very final thing I see. I WISH so very, very much that I had filmed that. I would never show that video to anyone (not even my son). It would have just been so that my husband and I could have watched it again and again by ourselves. When my daughter was born, she was an emergency c-section and I too was so drugged and out of it, that I can barely remember it. The anesthetist took pics for us but she accidentally changed the setting and they’re blurry. Still, they are better than nothing and when I think of her birth, I think of those pics (taken once she was clear of my belly).

I think it is a personal preference and not one that people should be judged on. I agree with Devil’s Advocate about the Admin trying to have it a bit both ways too. #61

Drjuliebug October 15, 2013 at 10:06 pm

One thing’s for certain: If your birth was photographed in graphic detail, your younger sibling will eventually get hold of the photos and show them to your date on prom night.

sonya October 15, 2013 at 11:19 pm

If the hospital and staff say yes then go for it. With my last child not only were mom and hubby in the room like with the other two births but my dad ( @ the head of the bed so he wouldn’t get embarrassed) and a midwife on training. I told my midwife when she ask permission to have the trainer in there. “You know me I don’t care if the entire Green Bay Packers are in the room as long Ss we get the baby out safe and healthy”

Angela October 16, 2013 at 6:19 am

The etiquette issue here isn’t the presence of the photographer but in how the pictures are used. If graphic pictures (of any type) are displayed to people who don’t want to see them or haven’t asked for them, that’s really rude. If they are there for interested parties to look at, I can’t see how that’s an etiquette violation.

Melnick October 16, 2013 at 7:16 am

Actually, I remember when they were giving me the epidural/spinal tap and I was looking into my husband’s eyes, thinking “If someone could take a pic right now, this is what pure trust would look like”. I’m scared of needles as it is and then being told to stay completely still or they could paralyse me while I was having rapid contractions was terrifying. I just held my husband’s gaze and leaned completely into him and completely trusted him to keep me safe and still. I would truly love to have had a pic of that moment. It was a very pure moment at a very hazy point of the birth.

Wild Irish Rose October 16, 2013 at 8:49 am

I had my husband and my medical pros in the room with me when my kids were born. No one else. And I warned my husband about taking pictures. That can wait until after the baby has been bathed and swaddled. Seriously, to whom are you going to show birth pictures? Your kid? Your parents? Your friends? When my son was born, a mirror was positioned so I could watch the birth. Good enough for me–I didn’t need that immortalized on film because I can’t say I looked all that great.

PM October 16, 2013 at 9:14 am

I don’t judge people who choose to photograph their births. That’s their choice. I do however, think that when you ask someone if they want to see your birth photos, you should tell them that there is graphic medical content or nudity. That is not a pleasant surprise.

Mae October 16, 2013 at 10:32 am

@Waltzing Matilda (comment #79)- OMG!

I don’t care how much you like/love your in-laws or love your parents or how close you are to them, that is wildly inappropriate. I cannot think of a single person who would want a photo of the grandchild as it is emerging from the vagina. That should definitely be a mommy/daddy *only* photo.

@Jenn50 (comment #83)- There’s not really anything to get defensive about. Just as birth photography is a personal preference, so is who you choose to have in the labor room. It’s fantastic that your mom & dad were in the labor room with you, but some people simply do not want that. Maybe they want the birth to be a special moment between just the couple and some people may be uncomfortable with more than their husband, doctor & nurses.

My mother & father visited me in my room during the early stages of labor, but when things really got rolling, they choose to go to the waiting area and I was ok with it (they told me beforehand they would be ducking out when it progressed to pushing) My mom would have been worrying too much and fretting that their was nothing she could do and my dad would have been supremely uncomfortable, even if he was standing at my side (north of the business end), holding my hand. I would have been worrying about them as well so that is why I am glad it was just my husband and doctors.

SV October 16, 2013 at 11:02 am

With regards to the presence of the photographer limiting the number of family members able to experience the birth : that is supposing that the birth mother wants members of her family present. The photographer, presumably, is a stranger and someone who can be at the birth of the child without really taking part. Not all birth parents want a crowd of family to experience the event with them. I did not – without a lot of hoopla I let it be known that the birth of our children would be experienced by my husband and myself. I didn’t even want anyone waiting at the hospital. My parents, inlaws and extended family are all wonderful people for whom I have deep love and affection, but I simply did not want everyone around me at that time. Period. I can see how having a photographer take tasteful and artistic pictures to commemorate those precious first moments, if it was done in a respectful and non-intrusive way, would be something that would appeal to a lot of people.

just4kicks October 16, 2013 at 11:08 am

Being young and very naive while pregnant with our first child, we bought a camcorder that my hubby was going to use to record the whole glorious event. I was fine with this until a few minutes into pushing my son out, my doctor very nonchalantly said, “….okay….doing great mommy….get ready for another big push….Oh, and now you’re moving your bowels…..” My hubby and I looked at each other and he quietly turned the camera off. That was the end of that….pun intended.
Many apologies to anyone eating while reading this! :)

Lola October 17, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Not my cuppa tea — but if the new mom wants to capture the magical moment or whatever, what’s the problem? As long as the photographer and the assistant comply with staff’s instructions and their equipment and activities do not hinder the medical care mom and baby receives.

Rachel October 17, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Well, people can do what they want with their bodies as long as it’s not illegal. I don’t like the idea and would never do it, but there’s no accounting for taste.

Redwing October 21, 2013 at 1:52 pm

@kingsrings, Regarding the Phil Donahue show you mention, that woman is my sister and it was 1973. That was her third child and her first homebirth. She went on to have two more children who were homebirthed. She trained as a midwife and delivered all three of my children, all four of my other sister’s children and a few of her grandchildren. She doesn’t practice any more, but she delivered hundreds of babies over the years!

Redwing October 21, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Sorry, 1976 not 1973!

Sophie October 21, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Birth is a natural beautiful event. I had my birth photographed, I am so happy with the results. My husband supporting me through labor, my grandmother anticipating her new great grandsons arrival, my face as I meet my new child and he meets his parents, baby being weighed and his first breastfeed, all special memories that we can look back on in years to come. My photographer was very discreet and did not get in anyones way and I wish I had photos of my previous birth. People need to stop viewing birth as this scary secretive event, people have been doing it for many centuries and there is nothing wrong with wanting photos of it.

Riri November 5, 2013 at 9:16 am

If the parents are comfortable with this, and the doctors don’t ban it, I don’t see why this is a problem. I personally find it unappealing, but what other people like is not our business.