The World Is Their Ashtray

by admin on November 7, 2013

I was in the security line at the airport this morning behind a couple who looked to be about my age, in their late 20′s. I hate TSA checkpoints as much as the next person, but I always try to minimize my time spent in them – and the time of others behind me in line! – by getting my liquids out beforehand, taking my belt and jewelry off as I’m waiting in line, etc. I also never stand at the end of the checkpoint and get dressed and situated again, as that always causes a backup for everyone else. Unfortunately, the couple in front of me were not so courteous.

They caused an enormous backup at the front of the line while they rooted through their bags, tried to find their liquids, got their laptops out, etc. The TSA agents kept asking them to move their things down the conveyer belt so as to relieve some of the backup they caused. Then, at the end of it all, they stood there getting everything situated and placed back in their bags. This, too, caused a huge backup, to the point where luggage couldn’t come through the other end of the machine because their stuff was in the way. My laptop was right behind one of their bags, and when it was pushed sideways and nearly fell onto the floor because of the pileup made from their luggage, I had enough.

I pushed my laptop down the line a bit so I could grab my bag and get out of there. This caused their luggage to move down the line as well (which they should have done out of courtesy for everyone else anyway). I then asked them to move down so others could get to their belongings.

I replied, “I can see that, but my laptop almost fell on the ground because of the pileup caused by your luggage. You need to move your things down a bit.”

Her partner got in my face at that point and said to me, “**** you. You’re ugly, anyway.”

I just gaped at him for a second, then grabbed my bag and walked away. I’m still upset about this! Being rude in the TSA line is one thing – nobody is happy to be there – but this was just ridiculous!   1106-13

We have a saying in our family to describe people like this – “The world is their ashtray.”  The world revolves around them and must accommodate their “stuff”.   Their stuff is an extension of themselves and everyone else must honor the personal space of their stuff.    And when they are done with their stuff, they discard it with no apparent concern for how it affects others.

BooHoo November 7, 2013 at 9:43 am

I am notorious for causing delays at TSA checkpoints. This is largely due to how poorly they are planned out. There is often insufficient room to slide your belongings down and when there is it often involves abandoning a piece of luggage while you ferry items back and forth. I refuse to pass through the metal detector without first watching my luggage enter the x-ray. I apologize if this delays you but I don’t know the person behind me and I am not going to chance losing my belongings. I also stand right by the x-ray machine and wait for all of my belongings to exit before moving anything and you could not convince me to do different.

Listen, travel is stressful enough as it is so there is no need to get so worked up by your fellow travelers’ actions. You should be planning ahead, leaving your home with ample time to arrive, get your pass, go through security (twice in my airport), and arrive at your gate. Perhaps if you had better time management you wouldn’t need to bully people scrambling to put their life back together after being assaulted and groped by the TSA.

A November 7, 2013 at 9:47 am

He swore and got in your face at a security checkpoint?! Seems like asking for trouble when you’re surrounded by federal agents; even if you’ve “passed” at that point. I don’t think there was anything else you could have done but walk away.

Jay November 7, 2013 at 10:02 am

Wow, the first response is PRO selfishness. Don’t see that very often.

Is there a large incidence of people stealing bags that are about to go through an X-ray machine and running off the other way? When surrounded by security and video cameras and right after having their ID checked? I’m guessing not. Yet you justify delaying people who are themselves already stressed, just for your own benefit. Ashtray indeed.

Helen November 7, 2013 at 10:15 am

Wow. We all know who the ugly person was, OP, and it wasn’t you.

Helen November 7, 2013 at 10:16 am

Oh, and echo Jay. Really BooHoo?

Mrs. Efficiency November 7, 2013 at 10:21 am

“Perhaps if you had better time management you wouldn’t need to bully people scrambling to put their life back together after being assaulted and groped by the TSA.”

@BooHoo

What an interesting assumption!
OP didn’t “bully” anyone. She merely asked them to move down their possesions– Which They Were Now In Possession Of! No risk of things getting stolen. The people holding up the line displayed poor time management and planning, NOT the op. Also, where does it say that these travellers were assaulted and groped? This is simply a baggage and x-ray line!

What a very, very interesting assumption indeed!

Meegs November 7, 2013 at 10:26 am

Boohoo, did you even read the OP’s submission? Your post makes no sense.

Allie November 7, 2013 at 10:33 am

Ah, a resort to your personal appearance. The desperate tactic of the boor who has been confronted with his own boorishness. Put it out of your mind. It wasn’t true anyway. Perhaps you will one day have the pleasure of being behind my husband in a security line. He has the security line down to an art form. In fact, the last time we travelled together the TSA guy complimented him on his preparedness. He has all his liquids and gels out and ready in the prescribed clear plastic bag, he wears a cloth belt and rubber sandals, he packs his watch and cell phone in a clear plastic bag until after the security checkpoint and he always clears well out of the way after he is through. And last time we travelled, we had our 8 month old with us. She was an angel throughout. We shall train her early to make travel easy on herself and everyone around her by being prepared and travelling as lightly as possible.

Kirsten November 7, 2013 at 10:41 am

“I am notorious for causing delays at TSA checkpoints. This is largely due to how poorly they are planned out.”

No, this is *entirely* due to your refusal to show anyone any consideration, and your determination to do it YOUR way without any regard for anyone else, as shown by your totally absurd post and silly attempts to justify what is just downright selfishness.

girl_with_all_the_yarn November 7, 2013 at 10:44 am

Evil Me would have said – in an alarmed, slightly louder than it needed to be voice – “Sir, there is no reason to behave like that! Please stop!” Lean back, put your hands up defensively… a friend of mine who works in TSA says they would have escorted him away.

But I try to ensure Evil Me doesn’t get much in the way of face time with the public so… ;)

Green123 November 7, 2013 at 10:56 am

So is BooHoo the other party in the OP’s story, or just a rude idiot?

InNM November 7, 2013 at 11:13 am

All the checkpoints I’ve been through, the TSA people will help your bags down to the end of the table if you’re causing a backup. If you are still taking a while, they ask if they can move your items to an empty bench and have you continue there. I’m surprised that wasn’t the case here.
Usually I advocate getting the employees involved. This time I think I would have shrugged and said, “Whatever,”. I may or may not have asked an agent to help these people move on by moving their crap somewhere else.

Lo November 7, 2013 at 11:17 am

I’m not sure there’s any good advice for this kind of appalling comment and even things said that are blantantly untrue and said only to wound can cause serious hurt.

I guess the first thing that would come to mind for me be stunned silence followed by getting away from them immediately. Another good response is to laugh. This harmless reaction tends to infuriate people so I wouldn’t recommend it except in settings like these when the guy is surrounded by security agents.

But I don’t think etiquette prevents you from saying simply and coldly, “That’s a horrible thing to say,” before walking away. Because it is. There’s no excuse for it.

DGS November 7, 2013 at 11:24 am

What the what? Yikes…poor OP, first being vomited on by some ignoramus at the TSA checkpoint and then, being lambasted by BooHoo for no reason…I hope your day gets better from here!

Like Admin and her family, my family has a saying about people like the ones you encountered at TSA, “The world is their trash can, and they vomit in it”. I am sorry that in your rush to catch a flight, you were thrown up on by those people. And no, you didn’t bully anyone. And if my DH and I can manage to travel with a toddler and all the various accoutrements of toddlerhood (stroller, etc.) and get through the TSA screen without holding up the line (by moving our luggage out of the way, getting re-shod, re-belted and re-jeweled at the gate that is across from the checkpoint or at a bench in the terminal across from the checkpoint, not at the end of the line, and by being prepared, timely and removing electronics, medicines and snacks and milk bottles from the bags and placing them in the bins), then so can an able-bodied couple in their 20′s.

Lerah99 November 7, 2013 at 11:40 am

This response is for Jay Comment #3.

Actually it is a VERY common scam worked in two person teams to steal luggage at airports.
The mark is 3rd in line.
All three of you put your stuff on the belt.
The first guy gets through security no problem.
The next guy forgets to take off his belt, or has metal in his pocket he forgot about etc…

So the stuff keeps flowing through the x ray machine, but you are stuck behind con man #2.
And con man #1 casually collects his things and your laptop or purse and moves on into the crowded airport.

By the time you can complain to security and they can watch the tape, your laptop or purse has been handed off a couple of times and has left the airport.

So BooHoo in comment #1 isn’t being selfish. She is being smart.
She is waiting for the person ahead of her to get through the metal detector before she allows her stuff to go through the x-ray. And she waits to collect all of her things from the x-ray before moving down to the end to put herself back together.

hakayama November 7, 2013 at 11:44 am

@Meegs: Of course Boohoo’s post makes sense. Boohoo is just as entitled as the folks described by the OP. Y’know, something about “birds of feather”…
(Is it permissible to say “pox on them” here? Or strict etiquette rules forbid that sort of thing? ;-)

@Boohoo: I just nearly wet my undies when reading the “put their life back together” phrase. ;-)
One might think that those folks might have at least gone through one of those “police brutality” moments: hancuffed, body slammed, kicked, tazzed, etc. Yes, the security check is a humbling situation, but hardly a life altering moment.
AND… if you bother with news reports, you’d know that it is precisely the TSA personnel that was caught pilfering on the check in line.

merrilee November 7, 2013 at 11:45 am

And my instinctive response to the line uttered by the boor in line would have been…. “And your mother dresses you funny!” But I suspect that wouldn’t do anything to cool things down, would be retailiatory rudeness, and just not a good idea. The best thing you could do was walk away. And that’s what you did.

Charliesmum November 7, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Seriously. Not to pile on ‘Boo Hoo’ but come on. In every airport I’ve been in, I’ve been given a box to put my belongings in, so I don’t have to wait for them all to come out. And wouldn’t waiting for your stuff to go through X-ray mean it’s sitting there unattended while you go through the scanner? If you go through the scanner before your stuff is through the X-ray, you will get there basically at the same time. If you wait, it’s sitting there waiting for YOU.

As to the OP’s entry. I think the people in question were extremely inconsiderate and obviously not well versed on the trials of modern travel, and extremely offensive and rude to boot.

Vrinda November 7, 2013 at 12:17 pm

BooHoo, were you the idiot in line who was rude to the OP? Sounds like it.

Cough November 7, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I’ll bet a whole tray of brownies that BooHoo is the boor who cursed out OP at the airport!

OP, you did absolutely nothing wrong. If only every airport traveller could be as thoughtful as you… And extra points for not engaging the crazy!

Phitius November 7, 2013 at 12:34 pm

OP – I completely understand your frustration. These people were inconsiderate of the people behind them to start with and then turned into rude bullies when confronted about their behavior.

BooHoo – I’m not sure what story you read, but in this one the OP stated that their belonging were already out of the scanner, they were simply refusing to move them down so that other items could exit the scanner. This caused the OPs laptop to almost fall off the belt and become damaged. You are clearly concerned enough about your belongings to hold up the line for others, why can’t the OP be concerned for for an item of theirs that was almost damaged?

I also have to wonder how much you are bringing as carry on if you have to resort to ‘abandoning’ a piece of luggage as you gather your items back up. Perhaps you should plan ahead and check some of your bags so as not to delay everyone else while you ‘ferry’ your items back and forth.

Carolyn November 7, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Dear Lord, how puerile. It’s like something a child would say when confronted with an argument they couldn’t defend – “Well…you’re ugly! So there!’

And it’s disappointing how the TSA didn’t come to OP’s defence.

whatever November 7, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Boohoo: I’m always early to the airport, but I hate seeing inefficiency. I believe that a lot of what we experience in airports is security theater and closing the barn door when the horse is already out, but there’s nothing you can do about that once you’re at the airport. If we all anticipate what’s going to happen and act together with common sense and courtesy, we can all get through with a minimum of time and fuss.

The OP claims that this couple was blocking other items that were coming out of the luggage scanner. It seems to me that at the very least, they could have moved their items down the belt to allow other people to grab their stuff. At every airport I’ve been in, there’s been enough room at the end of the belt to allow you to stuff things in a roller bag without blocking other people.
Also, people KNOW this is going to happen; I don’t know why people don’t dress and pack their bags in anticipation. It just causes *everyone* aggravation, including you, if you choose to wear boots with a thousand buttons that take an hour to get on or off or pack liquids in random places in the center of your roller bag. I don’t get angry at people in wheelchairs or with toddlers or something who legitimately need extra time to get through security. But I am peeved at people who make voluntary decisions that slow everyone down.

Brenda November 7, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Obviously, the original offenders and BooHoo have decided that being part of a society does not involve showing personal responsibility. I suggest they purchase their own private jets so that they don’t have to deal with the rest of society.

Since I’m older and crankier, I probably would have said something along the lines of “Everyone else in this line is in a hurry, too. You are the one who obviously failed at planning.” Then if the offender yelled or swore at me, I’d notify TSA and let them explain to TSA why they felt comfortable threatening another passenger while their flight left without them.

AthenaC November 7, 2013 at 1:21 pm

“Is there a large incidence of people stealing bags that are about to go through an X-ray machine and running off the other way?”

Actually, yes there is. Particularly business travelers’ laptops which often have sensitive client data on them.

Ellex November 7, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Probably not frequent travelers. If you don’t have a system and aren’t aware of all the requirements before hand (is peanut butter or cake frosting a liquid this week?) then it can take a while getting everything situated. They were probably over-tasked, feeling hassled, worried that the TSA was going to get all horror story on them. Then, from their point of view, some frequent traveler has a complete failure of empathy and yells at them as they’re trying to get organized again. This is no excuse for swearing and yelling of course, but I don’t think they were the only ones who failed to consider fellow travelers. Also, I doubt that the OP was the actual source of their anger, just something they could safely lash out at. (See below)

” Also, where does it say that these travellers were assaulted and groped?”
It says at the beginning of the story they were in line at the TSA. Granted, given the choice between the not-allowed-to-be-tested-for-radiation-levels scanner and getting felt up, I’ll take the fondling. So it’s not assault since I’m “volunteering” for it. But generally only my husband and my doctor get to put their hands there so I would definitely classify it as a groping. It’s humiliating, leaves me feeling powerless, is done against my will with the threat of not being able to see my family and losing the money I spent on a ticket, and leaves me feeling like I have been violated. I’ve had TSA agents actively and deliberately do things that they have been informed make me uncomfortable. I’ve had them completely slip up on the job and cause me to almost miss my flight. Needless to say, it leaves me in a foul mood and it is work to come back from it and be polite to my fellow travelers.

Now if you added to all that some fellow traveler who was scolding me – well, I can’t talk back to the TSA (the true targets of my wrath), but I can fairly safely lash out at a fellow traveler. (Hypothetically of course. I figure they’ve just had the same awful experience I did so there’s no need to exacerbate the situation for them.)

“What a very, very interesting assumption indeed!”
And a very interesting assumption that everyone else regards the situation as normal and acceptable and dignified.

(I know someone is going to accuse me of melodrama. I know someone is going to take offense at the way I said I feel violated when there are “real” victims of violation out there. Neither argument is going to change the anger and humiliation I feel at going through a TSA checkpoint.)

Carol Ann November 7, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Every time I’ve flown in recent years, there’s been a TSA agent in the lines telling people to get laptops and liquids out, etc., or a recording, or a message board. It’s not like you get up to the machine and they spring these requirements on you out of the blue.

I had a man go off on me this weekend at my usual breakfast place. His children were standing in the open doorway waiting for him to pick up their take-out order, and I simply said if they go close the door to keep the cold draft from blowing in on me and DH (we were at the table closest to the door, and getting a really cold, wet draft blowing on us and our food). He went ballistic and, when asked to leave the restaurant, stood outside flipping us the bird through the window. The world is their ashtray, indeed.

waitress wonderwoman November 7, 2013 at 1:53 pm

“You’re ugly, anyway”. Who over the age of five says that? I mean really? “I’m not wearing any make-up and my hair is a mess, also, I’ve gained a couple pounds, so you are well within your right to treat me like crap.” How immature can a grown-up be? Unbelievable.
Although I have been guilty of saying, “You’re being very ugly right now.” or “Why are you being so ugly to me?”. “Ugly” as in their behavior, not their appearance, of course. I think that might be a Southern thing.;-)

Stacey Frith-Smith November 7, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Getting in someone’s face isn’t going to make it go any better and if the TSA agents on hand aren’t going to require them to “move it or lose it” then what makes you think that your input is going to be accepted graciously? Your only options are complain to TSA, engage the crazy, or hold on to your stuff until there is enough room for it to proceed down the line without being upended by the neighboring trays of stuff…

Ergala November 7, 2013 at 2:02 pm

@Boohoo just wait until you meet the TSA who actually MAKES you move. If you are carrying on so much stuff that it holds everyone up while you gather your items you are bringing too much. Check the bags will ya? My husband had to check his bags when he was coming back from CA, and one of them was full of DS games, Blue Ray Movies, HD DVD’s…you name it. He was at a gaming convention for work and won a ton of stuff. He wanted to carry the bag on with him but the agent made him check the bag. The moment he protested security was called and he almost missed his flight. He just didn’t want anything getting stolen or broken. We flew to Texas last year and managed to get through with no issues except for the return flight. I managed to be across from a very grumpy agent who I think was having a long night. It was a red eye flight and she immediately searched my carry on and discovered my A&D ointment. I had a new tattoo but she told me that unless I had a baby in diapers I could NOT bring it on the flight with me. I had flown to Texas with it no problem. They then patted down my husband because a little metal circle showed up on the X Ray thingie….he was wearing beach shorts and there was a metal ring built into the outside of the shorts. It was quite visible but he still had to be searched. So not only did I lose my tattoo ointment my husband had to be physically patted down because of his shorts. That’s what happens when you get someone on a bad day….I hope you don’t…though I kind of hope you do. Your attitude screams entitlement.

Calli Arcale November 7, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Wow. Fortunately, I have never encountered any rudeness in the TSA line, from anyone. It’s always a difficult situation, but whenever I’ve gone through, everybody is always focused on not being a problem, since honestly, this is not a situation where you want to be a problem. TSA agents have the ability to make your life exceedingly difficult if they want to, so don’t make life difficult for them. These boors weren’t just frustrating you; be assured they were frustrating the TSA agents as well by making their jobs much worse.

I travel with small children, and I’ve traveled while on crutches with a splint. (Why is that relevant? Because you have to put your crutches and splint through the x-ray machine too, and then hop through the metal detector. Talk about planning!) You just have to plan your steps ahead of time, and put some thought into the security line when packing your bag.

Riri November 7, 2013 at 2:12 pm

@Boohoo, sounds like someone making excuses for their own inconsiderate actions. Nobody likes an ashtray. And nobody likes going through the TSA, but calling it assault is a little exaggerating, don’t you agree?

But you know what IS assault? The offender getting in OP’s face, swearing at her, and insulting her. I hope that the guards heard him, and appropriately punished him for disrupting other passengers. Agree with above comments, the “ugly” one here was NOT you.

Compelled to Respond November 7, 2013 at 2:18 pm

@Jay,
And yes, even with all of the security, people will take stuff that isn’t theirs. I had the person in front of me pick up my jewelry (costume, but mine) at the security checkpoint one day – I knew I was missing something, but was at the gate before I figured out that it was the bracelet I had taken off and placed on top of my coat in the bin. The coat and the stuff under the coat was there, not the bracelet.

Amanda H. November 7, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Seriously, BooHoo. When did the OP say she asked them to move down because she was in a hurry? The reason she actually brought up them moving their things to them was to point out that the backup they caused nearly damaged her laptop, not because she was running late due to “poor time management.” If anyone in the story has poor time management, it’s the couple that can’t be bothered to actually have things ready to go at the security checkpoint.

This is why Hubby and I make a team effort when we get there. He takes the lead usually, getting our bags on the belts, pulling the ziplocs of liquids out and putting them in their own bin (and we have all our liquids already in ziplocs so we don’t have to worry about scrambling to find where all of the liquids ended up in the first place, which is what you’re supposed to do anyway), getting his laptop out, etc. I’m bringing up the rear, corraling our kids and making sure all the bags make it through the x-ray machine (or at least to the nearest TSA agent who then makes sure they go in the rest of the way and ushers me on). No hold-up, and we move our things away as quickly as possible at the other end in similar fashion, making sure to clear space for those behind us. It’s simple courtesy.

MichelleP November 7, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I smell a troll with BooHoo. No one is ridiculous enough to post that and mean it. I hope he/she is joking at least.

Love admin’s response, right as usual.

Same issue with the atm: I pull up behind a car at the atm. I always make my transaction as quick as possible. I don’t read my receipt, I don’t fiddle with my card, don’t even put my money away. I immediately pull up after I have my money, then do all those things. I’m behind this car at the atm and they are there for five solid minutes. The woman is standing at the atm, as the car is being driven by someone else. They are arguing back and forth. Then she can’t figure out how it works. Then when she’s finally done she doesn’t get in the car. She stands at the passenger window and argues with the guy driving some more. Then she has to put her purse in the trunk. Then she has to clean a spot off the trunk. Then when she finally gets in the car they argue some more. I finally beeped the horn. Not long or loud, just a toot and shrugged my hands up when they looked around. They finally pulled off, looking at me like they had no idea what I was upset about.

The world is their ashtray.

Daisy November 7, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Boo Hoo, I’m afraid you’re part of the problem, not part of the solution. It’s perfectly possible to go through the TSA schmozzle without being rude or delaying and inconveniencing anyone. I do it every time I fly.

Kay L November 7, 2013 at 3:00 pm

When dealing with people like this it doesn’t work to explain that you laptop almost fell because of their behavior. They don’t care!

I would limit what I said to repeating “You need to move your stuff down” and “You need to move down”

“The woman said, “You can see we have a lot of stuff, so you just need to wait a sec.””

The response to this too is “Move your stuff”

Lindsay November 7, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Oh BooHoo. Sounds like you should travel by car. The TSA checkpoint at Atlanta-Heartsfield has over 2,500 flights per day. Selfish people really slow that down. Get it together. There are barriers around the bag belt for a reason, not to mention all of the TSA agents and security personal. Where would someone put anything they stole from you anyway? On the xray belt? Do not blame other people for your selfishness/slowness/inconsiderate behavior. What do you do when you check bags?! Follow them until they are loaded onto the plane? Of course not, because that would be ludicrous.

Op was completely in the right here. There is a reason TSA agents tell you from the second that you get in line what is expected, as to not inconvenience the many other travelers that are there on any given day. I fly once per week, and believe you me, I can get through that line lickety split, as I am prepared to be there and listen to what I am told. If you cannot follow those directions in a reasonable time frame (There are exclusions to this rule, including children and disabilities), you need to find alternative means of transportation.

Perhaps if you were reasonable and unselfish, you may not be making the 100s of travelers and TSA agents around you so angry. Until then, please consider taking Greyhound. You can keep a direct eye on your belongings during your entire trip.

JenMo November 7, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I do understand and agree with Boohoo’s TSA checkpoint practices, mainly because of the extreme emphasis placed upon ALWAYS keeping your possessions within sight to ensure they aren’t tampered with (not as much because of theft concerns, though it certainly could happen – a wallet or other valuable could conceivably be lifted out of a bag or tray and no one might notice in time to do anything about it). So you really shouldn’t pass through until your things pass through. Also the person behind you could slip something into a pocket or something if you don’t watch. And the TSA people are doing a lot of things and definitely could miss something like that. But I disagree with everything else about Boohoo’s response, because the OP was simply expecting that these people should have been prepared by the time they got to the checkpoint, not digging around at that point to locate their liquids, etc. And then afterwards, OP was expecting that they would slide their things further down out of the way so that others also had space. The OP’s points of irritation have nothing to do with Boohoo’s point about keeping an eye on his/her things, so I don’t really get it. I also have had issues with TSA, how they do things, and their training, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the OP’s point.

SV November 7, 2013 at 3:53 pm

BooHoo – really? You kind of sound like one of the people the Admin was referring to. The OP wasn’t being unreasonable, and she did not imply that she was short on time or anything else. She simply wanted enough space to gather her belongings and move on.

OP – You were in an airport and there was absolutely nothing you could do but get your stuff and go. They sound like class A entitled jerks, and although you are undoubtedly seething with snappy comebacks and outrage ( I would be, anyway!! ) these people aren’t worth it. You did the right thing.

The Elf November 7, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Ignorance of the rules is not an excuse. TSA has a website and it’s updated with each rules change. Unless you buy your tickets last minute or don’t speak English, you can find the time to investigate these rules before you fly.

lakey November 7, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I’m starting to get annoyed with the over-use of the word “bullying”. Asking someone to move their things is not “bullying”. It is a simple part of life. And yes, going through airport security is stressful. That’s why it is considerate to do everything you can to move things along as quickly and efficiently as possible.

acr November 7, 2013 at 4:36 pm

BooHoo – I really don’t get why you need to stand by the x-ray machine until all of your things come through. Why can’t you scoot down a bit?

Lindsay November 7, 2013 at 4:40 pm

To Lerah on comment 17:

You’re saying con men regularly go through security on not one, but TWO tickets, which are not cheap, to seal someones laptop? I don’t believe that for a second, it sounds like one of those “You better watch out, there is someone in your backseat!” emails.

Tell me more.

Chinchilla November 7, 2013 at 4:49 pm

My husband and I both travel extensively for business, which means many airport trips, and we’ve both run into people like the OP did. These people are just straight up rude and inconsiderate. They feel inconvienenced by security so they have no problem inconvienencing everyone else. It’s a terribly selfish mindset, and incredibly frustrating for experienced travelers who just want to get through security. Actually DH and I take pride in helping other people in line to make the experience less painful, including answering questions or holding a stroller while a single parent tries to get everything else on the belt while holding baby in the other arm.

Shalamar November 7, 2013 at 4:52 pm

The “You’re ugly!” comment reminds me of a confrontation my dad had years ago with someone in a parking lot (it was one of those “you took my spot/you park like a jerk” altercations. My dad was always having those back in the day). The argument raged until the other guy said, with the air of triumph that indicated he figured he’d gotten the last word, “Well, you’re a LOSER!” My dad said angrily “Is that so? What makes you say that?” “You’re driving a CHRYSLER!”

That completely took the wind out of my dad’s sails, and he laughed helplessly until the other guy slammed his car door and furiously tore out of the parking lot.

I can't... November 7, 2013 at 5:45 pm

This is one of those posts I love. Something about going through airport security turns people into lunatics and I truly don’t understand it. I fly a lot, enough to qualify for Global Entry, Trusted Traveler, and PreCheck. (All at my employers expense.)
Let me tell you guys a thing:
Most TSA reps DO NOT want to touch you. I’ve had that pat down more times than I can count and I’m here to tell you it isn’t as bad as some of these people make it sound. You are electing to go through this procedure; please don’t pretend that the TSA is there entirely to touch you inappropriately and steal your perfume. Every problem I’ve ever witnessed has always come back to some blow-hard refusing to follow simple directions, then getting mad that they can’t have their way.
Op, you did nothing wrong, you were just trying to get through the experience while avoiding the airport madness.

DanaJ November 7, 2013 at 6:00 pm

@BooHoo It’s one thing to be cautious and watch your possessions go into the conveyor, but it’s quite another to be so ill=prepared and not follow the directions your given when you are advised many times and have many opportunities to do so.

My last sic flgihts, in a addition to signs and announcements over the PA , we got plenty of direct verbal instructions from security staff to have you liquids ready, your laptop ready, and your pockets empty BEFORE you got to your turn at the checkpoint. You have ample time in line to prepare. When it’s your turn to fill the bin, starting to rummage around looking for things at that point is too late. It causes problems for everyone else and aggravates the security staff trying to make things move efficiently.

You have become the person who stops dead in their tracks at the bottom of an escalator and causes everyone else to crash into them and each other – your lack of preparation and poor planning should not be everyone else’s inconvenience.

Lisatoo November 7, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Before you all waste precious time of your life responding to BooHoo, please consider that trolls are best ignored, they feed on attention.

mark November 7, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I agree with boohoo to the extent that I try and keep pace with my bags. Basically I don’t want my stuff coming out the other side before I’m ready to catch it. I travel with a laptop and I don’t want to explain to my employer why my expensive laptop got stolen at the security checkpoint. I really don’t think this is anywhere the big deal you all are making it. The people line and the stuff line have to keep in sync anyways. So holding up for a few seconds(and it really isn’t much more than that usually) before putting my stuff on the belt really isn’t slowing you down. And most security lines in the airport aren’t that long anymore anyways. On the other side of the checkpoint I make sure to move with a purpose.

On the other hand I don’t see where the OP poster in anyway deserved the abuse handed her way. I disagree with boohoo here.