Which Way Does It Roll?

by admin on February 19, 2014

This topic is extremely minor compared to almost everything else I’ve read (obsessively) on E-Hell, but I figured it’s worth raising anyway. A recent Facebook post that was making the rounds had a picture of two toilet paper rolls. Roll A had the toilet paper feeding from underneath/behind the roll, and Roll B had the toilet paper feeding from over/in front of the roll. The caption asked people to comment which is correct. What struck me was how many people wrote something along the lines of “Roll B—and if I’m in someone’s house and they have it like Roll A, I’ll change it.” A few questions: Is it rude to flip other people’s t.p. rolls? Have you ever done it (confession time!)? Have you ever made other changes in someone else’s home without their solicitation or permission? And (why not?) Roll A or Roll B? 0122-14

“My house, my rules” so changing the way the toilet paper roll hangs to suit your own preferences while in someone else’s home is rather presumptuous and petty.   Good heavens, are there people in this world so arrogantly afflicted with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder that a few seconds of having to deal with a toilet paper roll hung in a manner they don’t agree with is enough to waste time changing it?

Iris February 19, 2014 at 2:39 am

If I’m in my OWN house and someone has hung the tp the ‘wrong’ way I’ll change it because I know no-one else has a strong preference. Someone else’s house? No way, no how, nuh-uh, never ever.

Jane February 19, 2014 at 3:22 am

My aunt once came to stay a few days in my house and continually changed the way the toilet paper roll hung. I guess I was partly to blame because I changed it back each time, but at first I didn’t realise she’d done it, and then each further time I changed it because I got stubborn – and after all how do you say to someone, “stop mucking with my toilet paper”? After two or three times, I gave up, and left it how she wanted until she departed. I felt my changing it back was me being silly and territorial, but it seemed at the time like such a presumptuous thing for her to do. But perhaps she changed it without thinking, to suit her own habits. Of course, it wasn’t a big deal, only bemusing.

Mya February 19, 2014 at 4:00 am

It has to be said that there are sound reasons for having the roll ‘overhand’ – hygiene being the primary one I see (something about the ‘clean’ part of the roll not being exposed to peoples hands etc) so regardless of ‘correctness’, a more hygienic way to have it is overhand so I can imagine that people might feel compelled, when confronted with perceived lack of hygiene, to take action but it is not appropriate to change the way an existing roll hangs in someone else’s house. If you use the last of the roll it is polite to change it and if you are CHANGING a roll then you can hang it any way you please (although if someone hung a roll ‘incorrectly’ in my house it would be changed as soon as I noticed). I wouldn’t change the roll in a friends house but I’m guilty of doing it in my parents home (my childhood home) as my father has a habit of hanging it the ‘wrong’ way.

Susan T-O February 19, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Considering what the paper is going to be used for, I wouldn’t worry too much about whether or not my hands have touched the “clean” side of it. Chances are good one’s hands are cleaner than what’s about to get cleaned.

Green123 February 19, 2014 at 4:08 am

First. World. Problems.

It’s loo roll. It’s for wiping your a**, not starting a war.

Heather February 19, 2014 at 9:00 am

Who says it’s a war? This is an etiquette site after all… not a debate about the Art of War.

LizaJane February 19, 2014 at 10:27 am

I think I love you.

Sara February 20, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Tell that to my boyfriend! He does not understand how I don’t see a correct way to hang the toilet paper. Personally I think on the bar is the only part of correct or incorrect.

BH February 20, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Your boyfriend must be related to my husband’s family. While we were still dating I replaced a roll at his mother’s house. Growing up if you did that it was enough. You would have thought I spit on their floor because I put the roll on “wrong”. This was the first I heard of it. I thought the were just weird (they were but I married him anyway) :)

The Elf February 21, 2014 at 10:37 am

Though I have my preference, I’d be escatic if one day he changed the roll and managed to put it back on the hanger. It’s THREE INCHES from where he normally puts it. Why? Drives me nuts. That’s probably why he does it.

Eva February 19, 2014 at 5:00 am

I would not think of changing the roll in another persons home.

It’s another cup of tea at work, but people there do seem to have an aversion to exchanging empty for full rolls anyway so I indulge myself occasionally during long sessions.

For the record: I prefer Roll B.

EileenP February 19, 2014 at 5:04 am

Where I live (Southeast Asia) there are toilet paper holders that let the paper out when you pull forward and stops the roll (tearing it) when you pull down, but only when the paper comes out on top. It is the only time I have ever cared or noticed.

Justme February 19, 2014 at 5:08 am

In my home, I’m just happy if someone puts a new roll on and not just set it on the back of the toilet!

Green123 February 19, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Absolutely right! I’m fairly certain some people think there’s a fairy that removes the empty roll and replaces it with a new one!

LittleAndGreen February 19, 2014 at 5:12 am

While I completely agree that changing someone else’s tp orientation, arrangement of their cutlery drawer, or the order of their knick knacks to suit your own preference is rude and arrogant, it hurts to see an unavoidable and challenging medical condition being equated with arrogance and pettiness. Please revise your response.

ValB February 19, 2014 at 7:20 pm

If you’re talking about OCD, you’re the first mention of it that I’ve seen so far. I think you’re the one being presumptuous in assuming that this was what everyone was talking about, and being “hurt” by it. Admin shouldn’t have to review her answer just because one person went looking for offense and found it.
For the record, had this been a question of OCD, the consensus probably would’ve been that people with a condition should be treated with compassion and understanding. However, this sounds more to me like a light hearted discussion about people with imposing personalities, demanding that things be done their way in other every one’s homes. In which case, Admin’s answer was completely apropos.

cicero February 19, 2014 at 6:21 am

wow how rude! the only time i would ever dream of changing something in someone’s house is if it is an acute danger issue. otherwise – seriously? toilet paper rolling the “wrong” way? sheesh.

Just Call Me J February 19, 2014 at 6:46 am

When I was a kid, my mom used to hang it with the end against the wall. She told me she did this because when I was a toddler, I had unwound an ENTIRE roll of the stuff onto the floor when it hung the other way… and to avoid further messes like that, she just flipped the paper so it wouldn’t happen again.

These days, I don’t really care which way it hangs as long as it’s present.

Mer February 19, 2014 at 1:20 pm

This. While I personally don’t care which way the roll is, cats attack it more probably if it’s on the top. So I would not actually appreciate someone deliberately changing my tp-roll’s orientation. However, I’d probably notice it only after the cat has tore it down. Heaven knows, I’ve put it wrong way myself so many times :D

Mer February 19, 2014 at 1:27 pm

But, tackling the etiquette side of this. I think when visiting, it’s safest to assume that things are on their places for reason. It might be because of pet or child, or for plenty of other reasons, like homeowner has placed it somewhere visible so she remembers to take it with her next morning. So guests should avoid moving or changing things as much as possible.

Daphne February 22, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Agreed. Our TP goes on end against the wall because of the cats. If they find it hung end over top it’s a fun game to unroll the whole thing. For that reason, if someone changed it in my house I would be perturbed. I would definitely tell them to cut it out.

gb February 19, 2014 at 7:43 pm

My kitty likes to unroll the whole thing and make a nifty nest :/

KarenK February 19, 2014 at 6:55 am

Roll B-er here! And, I confess that I have in the past switched the roll from the A position to the correct B position at my BFF’s house, but mostly just because it bugs her so much when I do it! E-hell will be happy to know that I no longer feel compelled to try to change her on this topic, mainly because it hasn’t worked!

wren February 19, 2014 at 7:14 am

I think the question here is “Is it rude to switch the toilet tissue?” I’d say not exactly rude, but a little odd. In college I always straightened up the towels in any bathroom I used. Students tend to stuff towels over the towel bars. I liked to take a few moments to hang them neatly, thinking to myself that the next day the person would be happy to find his or her towel neatly hung. Maybe I was being borderline rude.

The Elf February 21, 2014 at 11:35 am

Probably not, but the real test if it was just the towel or if it was other stuff “carelessly”, “incorrectly”, or “messily” placed that you “fixed”. One of my friends does the towel thing if we’ve been careless about putting them back. I don’t care about that. But when he corrects EVERY thing (re-arranging the dishes in the dishwasher, straightening the picture frames, hanging up the coats, fluffing the throw pillows….. It sends a message that my place is subtly not good enough for him. One thing, not a problem. A dozen things, problem. A freaking annoying. He may think he’s helping, but he’s not. He catsat for us once and when we got back my computer settings had been “corrected”. Nevermind that they were like that so I could use the computer without my glasses……

E February 19, 2014 at 7:21 am

All due respect, people with OCD are not “arrogantly afflicted” – they are sadly and difficultly afflicted with a disease they would really rather not have. The worst cases are a special kind of hell.

Luckily, I do not have OCD. However, I have once or twice in my life switched the orientation of the roll at my mother’s house when I was visiting. When the roll feeds from underneath, it can be very difficult to grab a sheet if it’s the layers are sticking together. So I took the roll off just to be able to get a darned piece of toilet paper, then put it back in such a way that I could more easily get more. I happen to know that my mother doesn’t care which way it goes, she just doesn’t pay attention either way. However, I agree that it is passive aggressive to change it, especially if you know they do install the roll according to their preference.

admin February 19, 2014 at 6:51 pm

How you choose to hang your toilet paper in your own domicile is your decision. However, if you have OCD so bad that you feel compelled to change how someone else chooses to hang their roll (and people have posted of valid reasons why they choose the way they do) in their own home, you’ve got a problem with being so selfish in that you cannot tolerate a minor inconvenience for a few minutes and your preferences must trump the homeowner’s. Don’t use OCD as an excuse for presumptuous, rude behavior.

ValB February 19, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Agree with Admin, OCD is treatable, and if a condition is so bad that it truly upsets a person to see a toilet paper roll being hung the “wrong” way, then the condition is officially interfering with the normal enjoyment of life and its time to look for help. I have a certain amount of compassion, but not when someone refuses to seek treatment yet demands that everyone cater to their neuroses. If that makes me insensitive, then so be it.

KB February 19, 2014 at 7:46 pm

OCD is not being selfish. OCD is something that can be so bad that it needs to be treated because it drives people to self-destructive behavior. Before I started getting treatment for my OCD, there were things, orientations of things, placements of things, patterns that I was so locked into that having to go outside of them could reduce me to rocking back and forth on the floor curled into a ball, sobbing and questioning my sanity. OCD isn’t about, “This is what I want.” OCD is, “This is the way my brain and heart and soul insist it should be, and I don’t know why, but if I ask myself why I go insane, because I know there’s no reason why, but it has to be that way, or I can’t take it.”

It’s not an excuse. It’s a condition. Please research OCD before you judge people who have it.

admin April 3, 2014 at 10:10 am

You are the best example of how, when properly diagnosed and treated, OCD does not rule your life and it would be unlikely that you are changing toilet rolls in other people’s homes. OCD is one of the most treatable of the anxiety disorders through behavioral cognitive therapy. It is the people who claim to have OCD yet have never stepped foot in a doctor’s office, never been officially diagnosed and certainly have never received therapeutic treatment that often makes excuses for their behavior claiming, falsely imo, that they have OCD and are thus compelled to act as they do with other people’s possessions.

La February 19, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Well, there’s the presumptuous rude behaviour of changing the toilet roll or adjusting the angle of people’s placemats or washing your hands a lot, or there’s the not-so-presumptuous-but-I-suppose-possibly-considered-rude option of having a screaming meltdown or other form of mental health crisis in the middle of a visit.
I mean, having things like your toilet paper adjusted is… a mild annoyance at best. It’s rude if they just prefer it that way, but when someone has an actual compulsion about it, putting up with having your loo roll adjusted the easiest way of dealing with it.

Alazne February 20, 2014 at 4:22 am

I completely agreed with you up until this comment – in fact I was bemused that people would even think of changing the orientation of toilet roll outside their own home. But if you suffer from OCD your compulsions and behaviours are often not a rational choice. There’s enough of a stigma around mental health already, don’t make it worse.

admin February 20, 2014 at 3:17 pm

And because of those stigmas, we are not going to perpetuate the stereotype that people with OCD have a right to be rude.

The Elf February 24, 2014 at 2:19 pm

No one has a right to be rude. But mental illness (or developmental delays) can be an explanation for rude behavior, one that if explained might make the slighted party more forgiving. To me, intent matters a lot. If I think something is out of a person’s control, or even just coming from cluelessness, I’m more likely to overlook it or forgive it. If I think the rudeness is coming from malicious intent or a lack of caring, then I’m going to take it more personally.

Kate February 20, 2014 at 4:38 am

I have OCD. In all honesty, it is an enormous struggle not to change things in other people’s houses. I don’t do it because I know how I’d feel if someone did it to me, but quite seriously, I have to actually stop myself from doing it because my instinct is to just fix it.

Miss-E February 19, 2014 at 7:38 pm

OCD doesn’t usually work that way. An OCD person is more likely to have to unroll a roll fifteen times and then touch each side of the holder eight times before they can wipe…stuff like that. Contrary to popular usage of the term, OCD doesn’t mean a person who likes things in a specific way.

Even if it were, an emotional disorder is an explanation of rude behavior, not an excuse. Especially for people who have OCD, one of the mental afflictions where people actually know they’re acting crazy (they just can’t fight the compulsion) and therefore have the ability to apologize. So I’m with Admin on this one, there’s no excuse for rearranging things in someone else’s home.

Lo February 19, 2014 at 7:36 am

If someone changed the roll in my house I wouldn’t even notice. I would probably laugh if I found out someone did it because that’s insane.

I just don’t get this debate. I can’t remember ever in life noticing which way a roll was hanging.

Copper Horsewoman February 19, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Oh, I couldn’t tell you which way it is in my bathroom at home, and as long as there WAS some where I needed it, I wouldn’t care A or B.

Kate February 19, 2014 at 7:38 am

I think there ARE people who think that ‘their’ form of self diagnosed OCD makes them adorably quirky. Any person actually suffering from this disease can tell you that it is not. These are the people who WILL rearrange things in your home or in a public space to accommodate their wishes, and when questioned, say ‘ Oh, that’s just my OCD kicking in’. It’s not. I believe these are self centered people who just want things the way they want them, and are using a handy excuse.

Lo February 19, 2014 at 9:25 am

I have to agree with this.

I’ve been diagnosed with OCD and one of the ways it manifests is in the form of compulsively checking appliances, unplugging electronic devices and whatnot. This is not something I would ever do in someone else’s home, if the urge were suddenly that strong I would remove myself from the situation. I would be absolutely humiliated to be caught doing this in someone’s home. My condition is not an excuse for inappropriate behavior.

Anyone who uses the cover of OCD to mess with other people’s personal belongings is acting shamefully, IMO. Being picky and overbearing is not having OCD. If you do have it and the urge gets so strong you cannot control it sometimes you need to disclose this before you’re a guest in someone’s home so they can help accomodate you.

Library Diva February 19, 2014 at 9:40 am

I agree. Too many people like to self-diagnose these days and use it as a way to seem more interesting. It’s like the “gluten-free lifestyle” people who are not content to just choose not to eat the stuff and be quiet about it, but who make it the center of their whole lives and conversations. Interesting only to someone else who’s living that way. (I should note, I don’t mean celiacs or people with diagnosed conditions here. I’m talking about the people who saw on some sketchy daytime TV show that abstaining from gluten will help you lose weight, live longer, have better sex, be smarter, and be more attractive — or whatever they believe — and have decided to adopt this way of living.)

Dominic February 19, 2014 at 7:41 am

My preference is over, but for anyone who has a cat, most likely they would prefer under. As for changing it in someone else’s home, would you rearrange their furniture, knick-knacks, or photos on the wall? Move around things on their kitchen counters or in the refrigerator? I think not.

Mya February 19, 2014 at 11:44 am

LOL I have a cat that is obsessed with kitchen roll but has never touched the toilet paper dispenser (although he has walked off with a toilet roll from the cupboard a few times)

Susan February 19, 2014 at 8:14 am

I’m laughing imagining someone changing the toilet paper, then imagining the confusion on the host’s face later.

I just wanted to add that “underneath” is correct if you have cats that are obsessed with unrolling toilet paper. :) Not saying they still can’t do it, but it is a little harder for them.

earthgirl February 19, 2014 at 8:29 am

While I’m very strongly in the Roll B camp because (in my opinion) it’s a lot easier to spool out the toilet paper that way, it would never cross my mind to switch it in anyone else’s bathroom but my own.

Miss-E February 19, 2014 at 8:30 am

Those are people with WAY WAY too much time on their hands. I would advise them to take up knitting or something and stop worrying about the orientation of toilet paper.

Shoegal February 19, 2014 at 8:31 am

I prefer roll A but if I am in someone’s else home I don’t change it if it is Roll B. I don’t think I care all that much.

Weaver February 19, 2014 at 8:33 am

I have to have a good chuckle at anyone who’d go to the lengths of changing the direction of someone else’s loo roll. Ridiculous! My preference is Roll A: underneath/behind, and I’ll always do it that way in any home of mine dagnammit, but ha ha, seriously? Yes, changing loo roll orientation in someone else’s house is rude. It’s almost too silly and petty to be rude, but I’ll go with rude because it crosses a line. Would one start rearranging people’s flower vases because one would prefer the daffodils, rather than the roses, to be in the middle? Thanks for a good laugh, OP! :)

Jo February 19, 2014 at 9:00 am

Forgive me, but I do believe you have commited a bit of a faux pas here as well, mistress. I do suffer from an (albeit mild) case of OCD, and would never, EVER change the tp roll in anyone else’s home. However, in my own home, not having things be ‘just so’ can actually cause a great deal of anxiety. In worse cases, people have been known to suffer even physical symptoms if the order of things is changed. Is it not rather rude to belittle what is a real mental condition over which the sufferer has no control?

Anonymous February 19, 2014 at 9:01 am

I didn’t know that this was something that people felt so strongly about. I think either way is fine, and changing the way your host’s toilet paper is hanging is technically rude, but not monumentally rude–it’s nowhere near as rude as rearranging furniture, or even as rude as rearranging a flower arrangement. However, let me pose another question: Suppose you’re at a friend’s house, and you finish off the T.P. Being a good host, your friend has more T.P. right there in the bathroom, so you take another roll and hang it up. In that case, are you honour-bound to hang it the way the host had it hanging, or can you hang it “your” way? What if you honestly don’t notice or care, and you hang it any which way? What if you know that the host doesn’t care? If I was the host, I’d be in the “doesn’t care” camp–partly because it’s such a small issue, and partly because I’m rather Victorian about the whole bathroom issue. I tend to use Miss Manners’ method of simply pretending that that room doesn’t exist, unless there’s no way around it.

Yet Another Laura February 19, 2014 at 9:30 am

I hardly notice the orientation of toilet paper. My only preference is that there is enough for me and the person who uses the facilities after me. In my home I don’t even put it on the roll.

My bathroom is so small a contortionist could comfortably use the roll, so I don’t bother. I have had someone put it on the roll attempting to be helpful.

Library Diva February 19, 2014 at 9:35 am

The passion that this topic elicits never fails to crack me up. Over the years, it’s been the subject of many Dear Abby and Miss Manners columns, and they always get deluged with follow up mail when they advise the warring husband and wife or co-workers that there is no correct way and to go find better things to worry about. Hundreds of people will write in and say that in fact there IS a correct way and it’s (over/under). I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m one of the few people in the world who doesn’t care. I just want it to be there.

I do think it’s rude to change someone else’s TP like that. It’s one of the basic rules of being a guest that you don’t change things in their home. I also have a suggestion for those who have warring camps lined up on both sides of the issue: place the TP on a vertical spindle on a shelf near the toilet. People can unwind it in whichever direction they feel is “proper” then.

Lynne February 19, 2014 at 9:54 am

I would never dream of changing the roll in someone else’s house, but I would think less of them if they didn’t have it going over the top. The other way is an abomination. :)

Nicole February 19, 2014 at 10:06 am

I think it is rude to change the way someone has something arranged in their own home. Why not just restack the linen closet while you are at it! I have the paper roll from the back because otherwise my cat will unroll the whole thing. I would be extremely annoyed to find someone had changed it, since I probably wouldn’t notice until I walked in to find the cat had unrolled it and shredded it into bits all over my bathroom!

Outdoor Girl February 19, 2014 at 10:13 am

Roll B for me. I would never change it to my preference in someone else’s home. I do install it the correct way ;-) at work and since I end up being just about the only one who changes the roll, it ends up being installed my way 95% of the time. I resist the urge to flip the roll when it goes on the other way. It is difficult, but I manage. And one roll doesn’t usually last more than a day or two.

Sometimes I get in there and both rolls are empty. Seriously, people! Changing the dang toilet paper roll is not rocket surgery. And everyone here has at least a college diploma. I’m sure you can figure out how to change the roll.

InNM February 19, 2014 at 10:22 am

Don’t you love the family members and friends who “correct” your life for you? And please, don’t forget to thank them!
I agree, I have so many other things going on that if someone corrected my tp roll I honestly wouldn’t notice or care. We broke the wall mounted holder (by accident) and have been using a standing holder with a 90 degree arm. I know for a fact I’ve placed it both ways without a second thought. Would I change someone else’s paper orientation? No.
Now, if someone were to take their control issues/faux OCD onto something i had arranged a certain way (for convenience or ease of locating in the future) then I would approach the issue head on.

MsDani313 February 19, 2014 at 10:41 am

I was a Roll B type person until I got a cat and then I was Roll A. And then I got a live-in boyfriend so now I am a “please put it on the roll” type person. There is just something about not putting the tp on the roll that my bf has an aversion to. Or maybe he is collecting those little brown empty rolls in a part of his plan to dominate the world. Anyhoo…

Yes it is rude and quite silly to change someone’s orientation unless you have a special relationship with them where you both find it funny.

LizaJane February 19, 2014 at 10:54 am

If it’s confession time, I did switch some furnishings around in my sister’s house as a joke. She didn’t notice for about 6 months, and thought it looked better the way I had it.

Grey February 19, 2014 at 11:14 am

Can we stop assuming that people with an annoying attention to detail must have OCD? It’s an inaccurate stereotype.

chefnutmeg February 19, 2014 at 11:15 am

I don’t touch it-unless it runs out then I replace it, the way I usually do. But that is the exception to the rule.

Taragail February 19, 2014 at 11:26 am

I prefer my t.p. plentiful and within easy reach.

Magicdomino February 19, 2014 at 11:36 am

I remember when TP orientation was a hot topic in one of the newspaper advice columns, and yes, there were people who would move the roll in someone else’s home. At best, it is very rude, and there may be a good reason for the roll being that way. People with toddlers or small pets often prefer Roll A because it prevents the child/cat/ferret from unrolling the whole thing, just for fun.

I’m a Roll B girl, myself. :-)

Floweramon February 19, 2014 at 11:45 am

I agree that that is rude to do. That’s not OCD though, that’s just being rude, picky, and pretentious.

Glitter February 20, 2014 at 12:47 pm

It’s RPP, not OCD.

I officially want that to be a slogan. People really seem to have no idea what actual OCD is.

mark February 19, 2014 at 11:51 am

The correct way is over, with end folded into a neat triangle ready for inspection. Just ask all my drill sergeants in the army. ;-) (This btw was the standard at least for me while in training in the Army.)

Seriously though, life is way too short and sweet to worry about how a toilet paper roll is hung. Now using up the rest of the roll and not hanging a new one. That’s grounds for war. ;-)

Harley Granny February 19, 2014 at 11:57 am

I think some people need to lighten up. I’ve always found this a fun subject. AND I’ve officially been diagnosted with OCD and don’t take any of the comments seriously.

I will confess that I have changed it. I didn’t realize what I had done until I was almost out the door. (thus leading me to wonder why in the world would I do such a thing…thus the OCD) Luckily I switched it back….before anyone noticed.

Oh and I’m and “over”

AS February 19, 2014 at 12:01 pm

In my own house, I hang it as “roll B” and hubby as “roll A”. I never thought it is supposed to matter. (Also, we were once discussing and hubby said that “roll B” would make it easier for mischievous pets to unwrap the whole toilet paper if a small part is hanging. He’d know- his parents have a neurotic cat).

~Dessa~ February 19, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Setting the roll to come off under stops cats from unrolling it willy-nilly? Thanks for the tip! The rotten kitten I adopted last November loves to unroll the paper. He has also perfected shredding a roll while the roll is still in the package, without a mark on the other rolls.

That said, I agree with those that are happy just to have someone put a new roll on when the old one is empty. My 4 year old grandson changes out the rolls for me, and I am just happy that he does it.

mrsvandy February 19, 2014 at 12:37 pm

I don’t care how its arranged in other peoples houses. I had an ex who did care way too much, but would never replace he roll himself! I would just replace it any which way and he would complain long and loud, but he was too lazy to flip it the way he wanted it.
In my house now due to the angle of where the roll dispenser is and how close the toilet is to it we have to keep it the B way. Otherwise it just rips off one piece at a time.

Alex February 19, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I agree with LittleAndGreen. I don’t think you intended to offend Admin but none the less it was offensive to equate OCD with arrogance and pettiness. I have known/know people with OCD and I have a mild form of OCD myself. It is not about arrogance or pettiness. I urge you to please adjust your reply. Perhaps it can serve as an E-hell lesson in correcting an unintentional faux pas. Thank you and best wishes.

Northlight February 19, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Always, always, always under. I have a cat named Jimmy and he has a toilet paper issue. Well, I have an issue with him unrolling the entire thing, tearing it to pieces and the scattering them throughout the house.

Ashley February 19, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I don’t care which way it’s facing as long as it’s there when I need it. This is true no matter where the toilet I am using is.

ketchup February 19, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Not quite the same, but related. We (my husband and I) are forgetful, especially where it concerns tp. That’s why I always have a minimum of 4 extra rolls in the bathroom. When we’d first moved here, and there was again a stack of them, my mother in law would put them, except for one spare, in our closet. Very annoying! My house, my rules. She’s given up on it, but still comments from time to time on us having such a ‘ridiculous’ amount of tp in the bathroom.

Sally February 19, 2014 at 1:38 pm

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the late Ann Landers’ position (no pun intended) on this. She wrote a column, perhaps brought on by a reader’s question, about how she prefers ‘under’ rather than ‘over’. I think she even said that she changes it to suit her when she was in other people’s homes. She then asked readers to write in about their preference. I think ‘over’ won; I’m an ‘under’, myself. But I don’t change it in other peoples’ homes.

Marie February 19, 2014 at 3:31 pm

@Northlight: I have the same problem!

If someone changes it, I think that’s very rude. It’s not your house, and not your place – regardless whether the person has a reason for it like I do. Personally, when I’m in someone else’s house and I notice I take the last of the paper and I put on a new roll, I always put it the way my host has put it. Their house, their rules. You don’t go and rearrange the fridge if it doesn’t suit you either.

Leah February 19, 2014 at 3:34 pm

I’m fairly certain that I’ve changed the roll at someone’s house because the orientation made it hard to access the paper, so I just subconsciously switched it & went about my business…I don’t really think that’s rude & could care less if someone switched mine to make it easier to use at the moment. I doubt I would notice. I prefer over, but my husband & son sometimes put it under because they don’t care either way, I generally just switch it for my ease of use, but it doesn’t grate me or anything. I think people are taking this a bit too seriously.
Also, I don’t see how this is akin to switching flowers around in vases- TP is something a guest would be reasonable to expect access to & they are allowed to be using it. I would liken this more to using a hand towel to dry one’s hands, then hanging it neatly the way one is accustomed to doing at home, but may be different from how the host had it hung. It’s generally just habit, not malice. Although, in the original example, the commenters do seem like they’re doing it out of pettiness, but I don’t think the act itself is rude.

Shyla February 19, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I don’t think that these people are “arrogantly afflicted with OCD”. I think most people who do this are not OCD. They are just afflicted with arrogance. The population with that strong OCD is not that large that all of us have one in our social circle. But many of have someone who believes that she is always right and has the right to change anything in our lives to suit her.

admin April 3, 2014 at 10:18 am

A poor choice of words on my part. Of the people I know in real life who claim to have OCD, none of them have sought medical help and therefore have no official diagnosis or historyof attending therapeutic counseling. For these people, to label oneself as having OCD has become a useful tool to justify selfish behavior.

wintershere February 19, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Matters not what gets under people’s crawl, they will go to the ends of the earth to right the universe –in this case toilet paper. (I recently heard the story of a gentleman who didn’t like the way the chairs were arranged in his church and caused such a commotion that he finally had to quit over it. Why chairs? No reason, it was just his “hill to die on”.) This problem with toilet paper is exactly why I don’t put it on a roll at all (but I like the “under” myself) I don’t have a problem with someone changing it in my house (if it were on a roll) If I noticed that at all, I would assume the people had a situation that needed it the other way and I would be gracious and accepting of their need for this. LOL If I can’t be gracious about this, what in the world could I be gracious about?