With the start of the new year, gyms suddenly become more crowded as people join wellness centers and gyms to put action into their resolutions. I can guarantee the pool at my local wellness center is going to be packed with added newbies. So, here are one reader’s gym etiquette suggestions…
I was just wondering if you could post some rules about gym etiquette? There seems to be a total lack of knowledge in my experience!
1) Please dress appropriately. I know that gym clothes tend to be fairly skimpy, and skin tight, but please wear appropriate underwear, and make sure that nothing is hanging out.
2) Please bring a small hand towel to mop the sweat from your hands/face so that it doesn’t drip all over the equipment!
3) However, please don’t use that towel to wipe down the equipment after you’ve finished. Most gyms provide hand wipes for this, but paper towels are also acceptable.
4) Take your time using a machine if you need to, even if there are people waiting! But please vacate a machine if you’re not using it to exercise, but to rest, or check your phone. It’s very frustrating for people waiting.
5) Please don’t take too long in the shower, especially at busy times of day. There are always people waiting for a changing room.
6) Please remove weights from a machine when you are finished; the next person may not be able to lift them! And please put them back in the right place.
7) It’s fine to ask other people for help using a piece of equipment, but wait until they’re not busy working out. And always be prepared to take “no” as an answer.
8) Don’t drop any equipment, particularly weights. Not only does this damage the equipment for everyone, but is also extremely dangerous.
This is a fairly basic list, but I have seen so many people break at least one of these, I felt the need to create a PSA. Thank you 10-12-17