News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 12:20:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Local Food Combinations  (Read 17536 times)

Chez Miriam

Re: Local Food Combinations
« Reply #150 on: January 30, 2018, 09:28:46 AM »
North Shore burbs.  It's easier just to say Chicago. 

The ketchup on eggs was new to me when I got to college, but I also watched my roomie's mom make scrambled eggs one morning with water.  It grossed me out until I tasted them, and I've made them that way ever since!

Your grandma's horseradish sounds yummy.

Do you mean a dash of water in the bowl with the eggs as you mix them before putting in the pan?  Instead of cream?  Or as well as?

I love scrambled eggs, but we rarely have cream in the house [that's not used up in another recipe], and they are too "dry" for me without.  If I could replace the cream with water, that would really work for me!

But I'm not about to try without clarification - it could be water heated in the pan first; there are several ways I could get this wrong, I'm sure...
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

missanpan

« Reply #151 on: January 30, 2018, 09:37:35 AM »
Rice with a fried egg and soy sauce is the finest meal you can ever eat ;D

I'd agree with you, but the yolk still has to be runny.

Please explain this dish - you take rice, put a fried egg (sunny side up?) on top, and then pour soy sauce over all of it?  Because that combines 3 of my youngest daughter's 3 foods and her birthday is this week and this may be what she will be served for breakfast that day.
I don't know what those guys mean, but this recipe is awesome

We love eggs over rice. It's one of our favorite camping breakfast. We always make more rice the night before and in the morning, reheat it in a skillet with some flavored oil (keeps us from having to mince up shallots and garlic), make the eggs and serve with soy sauce and most recently a little of the Gochujang sauce.

Basically, egg fried rice. Sounds tasty.

In my original post, I'm talking about a bowl/plate of plain old white rice with a fried egg (I like it over medium or hard) on top of the rice and soy sauce (amounts very depending on your taste). No other spices or ingredients for me ;D

see i thought you meant this: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/04/tamago-kake-gohan-egg-rice-tkg-recipe-breakfast.html

I love rice with fried egg (with gooey warm yolk) and soy sauce! I also add a chili oil (La-Yu). If I'm feeling a bit more health conscious, I add sautéed spinach.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #152 on: January 30, 2018, 10:14:21 AM »

The ketchup on eggs was new to me when I got to college, but I also watched my roomie's mom make scrambled eggs one morning with water.  It grossed me out until I tasted them, and I've made them that way ever since!

Do you mean a dash of water in the bowl with the eggs as you mix them before putting in the pan?  Instead of cream?  Or as well as?

I love scrambled eggs, but we rarely have cream in the house [that's not used up in another recipe], and they are too "dry" for me without.  If I could replace the cream with water, that would really work for me!

But I'm not about to try without clarification - it could be water heated in the pan first; there are several ways I could get this wrong, I'm sure...

Many scrambled egg recipes call for water mixed with the eggs. It's supposedly good for a very fluffy egg because of the evaporation of the steam, but I haven't found it significantly different from milk. No worse, either!

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #153 on: January 30, 2018, 11:51:41 AM »

Many scrambled egg recipes call for water mixed with the eggs. It's supposedly good for a very fluffy egg because of the evaporation of the steam, but I haven't found it significantly different from milk. No worse, either!

I use water (mixed with the eggs) in my scrambled eggs and omelets, about a teaspoon per egg.  I saw Jacques Pepin do it in a cooking show many years ago and it's always worked well for me.  I think it's just a matter of personal preference. 

Chez Miriam

« Reply #154 on: January 30, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »

I use water (mixed with the eggs) in my scrambled eggs and omelets, about a teaspoon per egg.  I saw Jacques Pepin do it in a cooking show many years ago and it's always worked well for me.  I think it's just a matter of personal preference.

Thanks, that's helpful to know, and if the taste isn't (too much) worse, it would really work for us [non-dairy-milk household for the most part (neither of us take it in beverages)].
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Nuku

« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2018, 05:53:07 PM »

Western suburbs here, with parents raised in Andersonville and the South Side. I don't know where my sister got the idea for catsup on eggs, but she does really like catsup, so there's that.

The first step in her recipe (verbally given) is: "First, open the windows." Hand grating horseradish will clear your sinuses and everyone else's!  ;)

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2018, 06:02:07 PM »
Ketchup on eggs is very common where I'm from.  What was weird, to me, was the girl I med in university who liked ketchup on her French toast.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Mikayla

« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2018, 06:24:47 PM »

No, she mixed the eggs in a bowl and then instead of pouring milk into it, she held it briefly under the faucet.  I was teasing her because I thought she'd scrambled her brains along with the eggs!  But she said she's always liked them better this way.

If it feels safer, you don't have to use the faucet.  Just put some in the bowl w/eggs before you mix it.  I personally like a "light" scramble on scrambled eggs, but it works fine if you want that "all yellow" look to them. 

Mikayla

« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2018, 06:31:33 PM »

I had no idea about this, but I've never looked up scrambled eggs very often.  That's interesting about the evaporating steam.  I just figured it was something handed down generations that started in the depression. 

Chez Miriam

« Reply #159 on: January 31, 2018, 06:45:42 AM »

No, she mixed the eggs in a bowl and then instead of pouring milk into it, she held it briefly under the faucet.  I was teasing her because I thought she'd scrambled her brains along with the eggs!  But she said she's always liked them better this way.

If it feels safer, you don't have to use the faucet.  Just put some in the bowl w/eggs before you mix it.  I personally like a "light" scramble on scrambled eggs, but it works fine if you want that "all yellow" look to them.

That's great, thank you!

I'm tryiing it as soon as I've got the "right" sort of bread for scrambled eggs on toast.

RevMaxx

« Reply #160 on: February 05, 2018, 09:35:20 PM »
my Daddy taught that ICE water into already scrambled eggs makes them light,-milk makes them heavy.  Been doing ice water since age 5 LOL.

NOt too late to add to chili types?  Chili cooked in dutch oven .Never drain oil off the meat and to the end ((a hour after beans added haha). Drop in cornbread 'dumplings' , cover and simmer and let them soak up saturated fat while they cook for last 15 -18 mins. decadent.  ;D
What sign was I born under you ask? Under the sign, "No Parking".