News:

• February 25, 2018, 09:51:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ashley Wagner's Sour Grapes  (Read 2979 times)

mich3554

Re: Ashley Wagner's Sour Grapes
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 05:49:23 PM »
seems to me there was another female figure skater 15-20 years ago who pulled something similar. Maybe the sport attracts divas.

Nancy Kerrigan?  She was less than gracious when she was caught of film grousing about the publicity she had to do after getting the silver.  It made her look like a spoiled brat.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 09:40:11 PM »
I was thinking of Tonya Harding, who threw a hysterical fit at the '94 Winter Olympics during the long program.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Paper Roses

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 11:39:13 AM »
While Tonya Harding had more than her share of drama (rightly and/or wrongly), the "hysterical fit" she "threw" was not entirely unreasonable.  Her skate lace had broken just before she was due to skate, and they had tried to fix it in the time they had, which was not enough.  Once she was on the ice and had started her program, she realized the lace wasn't going to hold.  That would have to be stressful, no matter who you are. 

In the end, the referee did allow her a re-skate, but she probably didn't know whether or not that would happen at the time.  And while yes, she was pretty upset, I wouldn't call what she did a "hysterical fit." 

What I would call a "hysterical fit," however, or at the very least pretty rude and poor-sport-like, is when Surya Bonali was awarded a silver medal at a competition and 1) refused to stand on the podium and 2) ripped the medal off right after it was given to her. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 04:51:11 PM by Paper Roses »
All those with two, draw one.  All those with none, turn one in.

Semperviren

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 06:21:13 PM »
seems to me there was another female figure skater 15-20 years ago who pulled something similar. Maybe the sport attracts divas.

Nancy Kerrigan?  She was less than gracious when she was caught of film grousing about the publicity she had to do after getting the silver.  It made her look like a spoiled brat.
e

Yes, then Kerrigan's publicist had her host SNL to try to mitigate the damage. Kerrigan is NOT an actor, certainly not a comedian, and good Lord, you never saw such a stiff uncomfortable performance in your whole life.

gramma dishes

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 06:56:01 PM »
While Tonya Harding had more than her share of drama (rightly and/or wrongly), the "hysterical fit" she "threw" was not entirely unreasonable.  Her skate lace had broken just before she was due to skate, and they had tried to fix it in the time they had, which was not enough.  Once she was on the ice and had started her program, she realized the lace wasn't going to hold.  That would have to be stressful, no matter who you are. 

In the end, the referee did allow her a re-skate, but she probably didn't know whether or not that would happen at the time.  And while yes, she was pretty upset, I wouldn't call what she did a "hysterical fit." 

What I would call a "hysterical fit," however, or at the very least pretty rude and poor-sport-like, is when Surya Bonali was awarded a silver medal at a competition and 1) refused to stand on the podium and 2) ripped the medal off right after it was given to her.

For goodness sake!  It's was the OLYMPICS!  Do you not think the coach/trainer inspects the skates in advance for any tiny flaw that might hinder performance.  They put in new laces, sharpen the blades, check for lumps or bumps, polish them to pure color with no marks.  There is no way that what did apparently happen even could have happened if anyone had been paying attention.

Paper Roses

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 08:21:39 PM »

For goodness sake!  It's was the OLYMPICS!  Do you not think the coach/trainer inspects the skates in advance for any tiny flaw that might hinder performance.  They put in new laces, sharpen the blades, check for lumps or bumps, polish them to pure color with no marks.  There is no way that what did apparently happen even could have happened if anyone had been paying attention.

Regardless, things still happen.  I'm not going to judge anyone, and besides, the point was just that I wouldn't call her a "diva" based on that incident, and I don't necessarily fault her reaction. 
All those with two, draw one.  All those with none, turn one in.

Owly

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 08:13:49 AM »
For goodness sake!  It's was the OLYMPICS!  Do you not think the coach/trainer inspects the skates in advance for any tiny flaw that might hinder performance.

Well, I bet Tonya Harding thought so.  ;D

goldilocks

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 04:52:54 PM »
For goodness sake!  It's was the OLYMPICS!  Do you not think the coach/trainer inspects the skates in advance for any tiny flaw that might hinder performance.

Well, I bet Tonya Harding thought so.  ;D

I remember seeing that at the time, and it did not appear that Tonya had a coach or any support personnel.   After the performance she was in her locker room, with what appeared to be a million relatives, having an asthma attack, and none of them seemed to care.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 05:39:47 PM »
There was another skater impacted by Tonya's issues.  Josee Chouinard was up after Tonya.  When Tonya stopped her performance and asked for a reskate after fixing her laces, they made Josee come onto the ice early.  It affected her prep and she skated very poorly, for her.  She did often have performance anxiety but had been working very hard to overcome it.  If she hadn't been rushed, she might have medalled.  We'll never know if that's what threw her off or if she would have had the same skate, regardless, due to the pressure.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Mikayla

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 05:50:20 PM »

(snip)

I remember Bonali well and liked her, but I don't recall this incident.  What was she upset about? 

rose red

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 05:58:57 PM »

(snip)

I remember Bonali well and liked her, but I don't recall this incident.  What was she upset about?

She wanted gold. It was at the World Championships the year Yuka Sato won.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 06:00:51 PM »
Bonali strongly felt that she should have won gold.  The winner was Yuka Sato from Japan, who was superior on that night, according to the commentators I was listening to.

Bonali was excellent technically but didn't have the artistry to go with it.  Or at least the kind of artistry that the judges liked.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario