News:

• February 22, 2018, 03:29:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I hate my chicken!  (Read 2086 times)

Mikayla

Re: I hate my chicken!
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2018, 12:22:26 PM »

I have MAJOR food texture issues from being a supertaster. I find a lot of people don't recognize they also have food texture issues; they assume a food is something they just don't like or they can't cook it right.

Personally, for me, when I make something that requires shredded chicken, I cook a whole chicken in the crockpot breast side down, season it however I like, let it cook, allow to cool, and then pick the chicken off the whole chicken, tossing the skin and bones (or using them for stock later). I find this works great for chicken salad, dumplings, stir frys, or any other recipes that requires cooked shredded chicken.

Yassss.   I cook whole chickens all the time and use them for my killer chicken quesadillas, homemade chicken corn soup, and salads.   That's why I'm kind of surprised I never thought of a crockpot.

But I hear you on the texture.  I can't tolerate anything mushy.  I love canned tuna, but can't eat anyone else's tuna salad because I put so much "texture" in there,  you can barely find the tuna.  But mushy tuna makes me want to run screaming into the night.

Mikayla

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2018, 12:27:39 PM »
I like to do a very simple sautť with a pan sauce.  The main thing is to not overcook them or use too high a heat.

Try a Chocken piccata

Variations: Replace the stock with white wine. Replace capers with chopped parsley or some other fresh herbs. Toss breasts in seasoned flour before sautťing. Remove chicken, sautť sliced mushroom or minced onion/shallots, then continue.

I'm trying this tonight - keeping the capers and adding the wine.  In fact, it reminds me of the one and only frozen entree I'll every buy.  It's Michael Angelo's chicken piccata.  It's got all the same stuff (along with artichoke hearts) and super yummy.   I'll follow your lead on the chicken prep!  I wasn't sure how to do that.

Another Sarah

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2018, 12:47:51 PM »
Personally I prefer skinless boneless chicken breast. I think itís just a personal preference thing, I cannot stand fatty meat of any description, the texture of the bits like fat and skin are just not nice to me.
But if itís dried out itís pretty awful. Not to ask an obvious question, but are you wrapping it in foil when you put it in the oven? You need to keep the juices in. If itís consistently dry you could add a little bit of stock, which will also flavour it.
The other thing is I always cook it with a watery vegetable if I donít make something with sauce, so it stays juicy
Like brown some onions and mushrooms, whack in some garlic, salt and pepper, diced chicken, five minutes in the pan
or rub in some paprika, add tomatoes and olives, wrap in foil, whack in oven at 180 (celsius, Iím not insane, Iím British) 20-25 minutes, bosh.

lowspark

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 11:32:47 AM »
Just thought of this but another poaching liquid I use occasionally, when I have it, is olive juice. When I finish a jar of olives, I save the liquid and use it for poaching. It adds a hint of the salty-sour olive flavor to the chicken.

Anyway, the point is just to add any liquid, flavored or not, to keep the chicken moist while simmering.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

cicero

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2018, 06:51:41 PM »
I find most chicken breasts prepared by whoever just too dry to be enjoyable. Using kosher chicken seems to produce juicier results.
Well that would make sense because kosher chickens are brined in salted water. The consensus seems to be that the brining helps produce a juicier dish

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2018, 10:16:27 AM »
I use boneless chicken breasts for Coq Chasseur and Coq au Vin despite all chefs saying to use chicken on the bone.  It makes the dish look better and if you use a good chicken stock it will taste just as good.

sweetonsno

• Grammando and Cupcake Lady
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2018, 09:57:39 PM »
You will also need slices of ham, slices of cheese (Gouda is my go-to), a couple of Roma tomatoes, salt, and foil.

Preheat oven to 375 or 400. (There's wiggle room if you have something else going in.)

Cut squares of aluminum foil. Put a slice of ham in the middle of each square. Don't use the thinly-shaved kind.

Trim chicken breasts of any fat globules. Salt on both sides. Put a chicken breast on each slice of ham. If they are giant, you should probably cut them in half... you want a serving-sized piece, not a massive chunk.

Slice the Roma tomatoes. Cover each chicken breast with tomato slices. Fold up the foil into a packet. Put packets on a cookie sheet. Put cookie sheet in oven.

After about 20-25 minutes, take it out and take a look-see/check with a meat thermometer. Be careful when opening the packets; there will be fluid, which you don't want to lose. You want it to be pretty much done. If it is, top each with a slice of cheese, seal back up, and put back into the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese.

You can serve it in the packets, or, if you're feeling fancy, you can drain the liquid into a pot and boil it a few minutes to thicken and then drizzle over the top.

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.