News:

• February 25, 2018, 07:52:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2018 Gardening Thread  (Read 339 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
2018 Gardening Thread
« on: January 22, 2018, 08:33:17 AM »
We've had a few cold snaps that resulted in killing off my pentas, salvia, and a few other plants. I'm giving them a few days to see if I can save anything, but have plans to replace them if need be.

I just planted these this weekend.

African Daisy

Two more dwarf hummingbird bushes

I also put an agave and a ground orchid in pots.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Chez Miriam

Re: 2018 Gardening Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 11:48:36 AM »
Ooh, they look lovely!  Your garden will be getting gorgeous by now?

We're still at the "rain stops play" stage of our English winter, so my contribution will have to wait until our (almost entirely clay) soil is less soggy. :(
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Nikko-chan

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 01:54:44 PM »
I have garden plans as well.  Tomatoes, lettuces peas and Bush beans, as well as carrots and possibly potatoes... my plan is to lessen what I need to buy at the store

RevMaxx

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 11:09:32 PM »
OH !!! African daisy my favorite ever . Beautiful!
What sign was I born under you ask? Under the sign, "No Parking".

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 05:49:56 AM »
The extent of my gardening is finding my William Dam Seed Catalog...

I'll have to sit down with my fMIL and figure out what we are going to order, seed wise.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

ladyknight1

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 07:13:02 AM »
So the African Daisy has two open flowers and four buds!

I went and picked up plants for the butterfly garden from a fellow Monarch enthusiast. I now have passion vine, porter weed, and loads of milkweed. I'll be planting my bush daisy and the butterfly cassia tonight.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

ladyknight1

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 09:49:36 AM »
I added to the ground covers, a plant called Partridge Berry. I got it at a local native plant nursery. https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=MIRE I planted it around a hummingbird bush that should provide enough shade for it.

Also planted more frog fruit, a Bahamas cassia, a Butterfly cassia, porter weed, corky vine passion flower, and a passion flower vine.

Picked up Tampa Verbena, which will go under my crape myrtle trees, a skyblue clustervine, and some other plants.

I ordered bulbs for the first time, working out what edging to use around our trees to keep the bulbs safe from mowing.
-J.R.R Tolkien

knitwicca

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 03:24:22 PM »
I have wanted a blueberry bush for quite some time. My Guy bought me  a seedling which I thought I might have killed due to ignorance and incomplete research.
Yesterday it opened new leaves!  ;D

Lettuce and carrots are sprouting nicely in kitchen window containers.
Broccoli was ready to transplant into bigger pots today.

Spinach never sprouted so I will try again soon.

ladyknight1

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 03:31:08 PM »
My first bulb is in the ground!

I also planted some more nectar plants, and my milkweed has a big fat monarch caterpillar.

Currently being grown from seed: lettuce, scallions, blanket flower, climbing flowers, herbs, and purple echinacea.
-J.R.R Tolkien