News:

• February 22, 2018, 09:23:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I thought I would add my own, "another tipping question"....two people/one table  (Read 2148 times)

YummyMummy66

I don't think I would have ever thought of this before, but since I see all these tipping questions on this site, it made me think of this scenario.

I usually always tip 20%.   

The other night, my bestie and I were going out to dinner, each paying our own checks.   Now, usually I do tip 20% and I did in this case, but I got to wondering.

If there are two people, each paying their own checks, (or any amount of people), should each person tip 20% on their own checks or would it be 10% each on their own checks for 20%
for the whole table?   Does this make sense in that I am asking the question correctly?

Math is my weakest subject so I just might be thinking about this all wrong.   

MrTango

Your math is a bit off here.

If you each tip 10% on your portion of the tab, then the total tip between you is 10% of the total tab between you.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
Yeah, I was going to say that 20% of your check plus 20% of their check equals 20% for the table.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

BTDT

You're over-thinking it.
Let's say, for simplicity sake, each of your bills is $10.  So, you tip 20%, which is $2.00.  Your friend also tips 20%, or $2.00.
The total of the bills for the entire table is $20 (two $10 bills).  20% of $20 is $4.00.  Which is what the waiter received in total from both of you.
Does that make sense?

rose red

Yeah, I was going to say that 20% of your check plus 20% of their check equals 20% for the table.

Yup. Tips are based on the check amount, not the table. Imagine you and your friend are sitting at separate tables.

QueenfaninCA

If each of you pays 20% of your own bill, that adds up to 20% of the total bill.

If each of you pays 10% of your own bill, that adds up to 10% of the total bill.

That's how percentages work.

YummyMummy66

Thank you.   I knew there was something off in my thinking, I just could not figure it out.   Probably due to my lack of sleep, but I totally get it now that it was spelled out for me.   

rigs32

If the total bill was $100, a 20% tip is $20.

If you each tip 10% of your $50 share, then the total tip is only $10, or 10%.