News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 04:11:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 1712393 times)

rose red

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #4560 on: February 09, 2018, 01:56:20 PM »
Depending on the event, you can still send pictures of the set-up and props and things like that.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #4561 on: February 09, 2018, 02:10:21 PM »
Dear person applying to a limited access program:

If you were able to find the application site, you also could find the program information page, which lists the process for applying to this program, including 10 prerequisite courses, experience with design, and the ability to attend a two day session displaying your designs and meeting with the board.

* We have had a huge increase of applicants, some who have taken only one of the prerequisite courses.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

MissRose

« Reply #4562 on: February 19, 2018, 10:42:06 AM »
I wish customers would understand that making a major change to your account that affects either something technical or financial, the methods to confirm account ownership are non negotiable for the most part.  Even after you tell them why things are to be a certain way, some of them act like we can circumvent the rules.  In some companies, that is both a HP thing and/or could also be Professional Darwinism.   

XRogue

« Reply #4563 on: February 22, 2018, 08:49:05 PM »
I wish customers would understand that making a major change to your account that affects either something technical or financial, the methods to confirm account ownership are non negotiable for the most part.  Even after you tell them why things are to be a certain way, some of them act like we can circumvent the rules.  In some companies, that is both a HP thing and/or could also be Professional Darwinism.

Ditto for my customers and company.  Thankfully the customers back down most of the time. The rest either hang up on me in frustration or get to talk to my immediate manager (who is well over 6 feet and sounds like a cross between James Earl Jones and Mr. Carson from Downton Abbey). So far so good. :D

MissRose

« Reply #4564 on: February 28, 2018, 09:46:54 AM »
One of my co-workers had an exchange recently with a customer:

Customer - my service W is down.  Its affecting my business. Fix IT Now!

Worker - I understand that service W is down, let me open a ticket with highest priority for you.

Customer - What part of my service W is down and I can't do any business do you NOT get?  My service W has been down for X time (then again why wasn't the ticket opened sooner worker wonders as we always have staff)

Worker - We are doing what we can to push the ticket along to get troubleshooting and a fix in place for you.   All of our customers run businesses and every ticket gets high priority.

Customer - *rants again* then reluctantly takes the ticket # then disconnects call. 

The worker said said the guy has constantly called in 6 or 8 times since he opened his ticket.  The customer continues to be pushy and rude even though techs are working as fast as they can to fix the issue that has been determined to be more complex than the customer realizes.

MissRose

Just overheard a co-worker with his customer

Co-worker - I am sorry sir, we can't do request A because of this reason (something we truly can't do at all)

Customer apparently going on and on and my co-worker has to re-word & repeat himself about 4 times before he got a clue that we can't help at all.

hjaye

I constantly run into problems with users expecting me to a fix a problem that I have no control over.

Iím responsible for an application that users need to access to be able to log onto servers and access their own applications.  The application has a URL that you connect to and it brings you to the applications portal.
Access to the portal site is done through two things.  First, you have to use Internet Explorer, the application does not support any other browser.  I have no control over this.  This is the way the vendor who created the application decided do to it.  The company that I bought the application went with this vendor and that is a limitation they decided to live with.  I canít change it; I canít fix it.
The second thing the user needs is a security card.  The card is inserted into a card reader connected to their computer, there is a security certificate imbedded on the card that the browser needs to read to authenticate the users.

Unfortunately, this technology is spotty at best.  Internet Explorer does not do a good job reading the certificate.  This is not a function of the application I support; this is a function of the browser. 
Time and time again we run into issues where users cannot access the application portal.  They figure since they are trying to get the portal site, it must be the application that is broken.
I will point out to them that the portal site is up and running, that hundreds of users are currently logged in and working fine, but for whatever reason, their browser is not reading their certificate, and there is nothing I can to do fix that problem.

I get very frustrated because Iíll have managers set up a bridge troubleshooting call and Iíll have to go over all of this again for the umpteenth time.  We go around and around and just end up back at square one.
Iíve called the vendor and opened up a trouble ticket with them since I was asked to do it.  We have been able to show that itís a problem with the browser and the next step should be to engage with Microsoft since itís their browser that is having the problem, but they donít want to spend the money to open up a ticket with Microsoft.

The good thing is that in just about every instance, the problem will fix itself in about one to three days

MrTango

I constantly run into problems with users expecting me to a fix a problem that I have no control over.

Iím responsible for an application that users need to access to be able to log onto servers and access their own applications.  The application has a URL that you connect to and it brings you to the applications portal.
Access to the portal site is done through two things.  First, you have to use Internet Explorer, the application does not support any other browser.  I have no control over this.  This is the way the vendor who created the application decided do to it.  The company that I bought the application went with this vendor and that is a limitation they decided to live with.  I canít change it; I canít fix it.
The second thing the user needs is a security card.  The card is inserted into a card reader connected to their computer, there is a security certificate imbedded on the card that the browser needs to read to authenticate the users.

Unfortunately, this technology is spotty at best.  Internet Explorer does not do a good job reading the certificate.  This is not a function of the application I support; this is a function of the browser. 
Time and time again we run into issues where users cannot access the application portal.  They figure since they are trying to get the portal site, it must be the application that is broken.
I will point out to them that the portal site is up and running, that hundreds of users are currently logged in and working fine, but for whatever reason, their browser is not reading their certificate, and there is nothing I can to do fix that problem.

I get very frustrated because Iíll have managers set up a bridge troubleshooting call and Iíll have to go over all of this again for the umpteenth time.  We go around and around and just end up back at square one.
Iíve called the vendor and opened up a trouble ticket with them since I was asked to do it.  We have been able to show that itís a problem with the browser and the next step should be to engage with Microsoft since itís their browser that is having the problem, but they donít want to spend the money to open up a ticket with Microsoft.

The good thing is that in just about every instance, the problem will fix itself in about one to three days

All of my company's web-based stuff is designed to only be able to run in Internet Explorer as well.  Our IT people won't even talk to someone unless they've cleared cache & cookies and tried restarting their computer.

Personally, I categorically refuse to use Internet Explorer outside work, but since even if I were to get permission to have Chrome installed on my work computer, it wouldn't do me any good since none of the web apps I need access to will work in Chrome.

Katana_Geldar

When I was making webpages, DH said I should make sure how it looks on other browsers.

hjaye

All of my company's web-based stuff is designed to only be able to run in Internet Explorer as well.  Our IT people won't even talk to someone unless they've cleared cache & cookies and tried restarting their computer.

Personally, I categorically refuse to use Internet Explorer outside work, but since even if I were to get permission to have Chrome installed on my work computer, it wouldn't do me any good since none of the web apps I need access to will work in Chrome.
yeah, personally I HATE!!!!! Internet Explorer, along with Microsoft.  It seems the more advanced their technology gets, the less user friendly it is, and the harder it is to get things to work together.  I make my living off of supporting Microsoft technology, but I'm so looking forward to the day when I can retire.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
I 'affectionately' refer to it as 'Internet Exploder.'  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

nutraxfornerves

I got this from a hotel worker. It could be Snowflakey, but I think it is more Potterish, or even Graingerish.

The hotel offers free breakfast. A guest comes to the front desk in the early afternoon and complains that there is no breakfast. The desk clerk tells him that breakfast is served from 6-9 AM. That is not acceptable to the guest. He is from Far Distant City, and it's within those hours there, so the hotel should serve him breakfast. In fact, the hotel is providing terrible customer service. They get guests from all over the world who should be able to get breakfast at an appropriate time.

"Are you suggesting that we serve breakfast 24 hours a day because it's always going to be that time somewhere in the world?"

"Exactly. I don't see why that sounds unreasonable."

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Dazi

• like the flower
I got this from a hotel worker. It could be Snowflakey, but I think it is more Potterish, or even Graingerish.

The hotel offers free breakfast. A guest comes to the front desk in the early afternoon and complains that there is no breakfast. The desk clerk tells him that breakfast is served from 6-9 AM. That is not acceptable to the guest. He is from Far Distant City, and it's within those hours there, so the hotel should serve him breakfast. In fact, the hotel is providing terrible customer service. They get guests from all over the world who should be able to get breakfast at an appropriate time.

"Are you suggesting that we serve breakfast 24 hours a day because it's always going to be that time somewhere in the world?"

I live in a touristy area. Something similar was once said to a friend of mine. She looked at the guest and told them they weren't a Denny's, but there was one across the street.  :P
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.

Does anyone else suddenly have Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffett telling them that "It's Five O' Clock Somewhere?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPCjC543llU

If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!

Same with my company. And every time an update to IE is rolled out I have to remind our testers to check the compatibility mode because that's why the buttons stopped working.

I argued that I needed to have Flamingvixen installed to use the Swashbuckle plugin to test my API web services and Chrome because I needed Postman to test the same web services. IE is beyond awful for debugging.
<3