News:

• February 25, 2018, 09:50:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 1600813 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #4560 on: January 24, 2018, 11:14:33 AM »
For DS.

DS had to tell a woman that no, he couldn't make arrangements for her children to be at another table while she and her friends enjoyed a round of driving practice, food and drinks. DS had to explain that the venue does not offer child care or baby sitting services.

The child was 2!

I know that most harm that befalls small children happens in their own homes, and is caused by their own families, but who would hand over their 2 year-old to a stranger? :o  I wanted to add a lot of exclamation marks to that question mark, but I'm restraining myself. ::)

I'm not suggestin/implying that ladyknight1's son would harm anyone, just that the mother can't possibly know that at the point of handing over her child to just anyone in a restaurant/driving range/wherever.  Ladyknight1, I'm glad he stood firm on that!

He was acting as the manager for this occasion. He told her she could bring a baby sitter to watch the children, but would have to pay for both the space she and friends were going to use and the space for the sitter and children. She didn't like that.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Chez Miriam

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #4561 on: January 24, 2018, 01:15:16 PM »
For DS.

DS had to tell a woman that no, he couldn't make arrangements for her children to be at another table while she and her friends enjoyed a round of driving practice, food and drinks. DS had to explain that the venue does not offer child care or baby sitting services.

The child was 2!

I know that most harm that befalls small children happens in their own homes, and is caused by their own families, but who would hand over their 2 year-old to a stranger? :o  I wanted to add a lot of exclamation marks to that question mark, but I'm restraining myself. ::)

I'm not suggestin/implying that ladyknight1's son would harm anyone, just that the mother can't possibly know that at the point of handing over her child to just anyone in a restaurant/driving range/wherever.  Ladyknight1, I'm glad he stood firm on that!

He was acting as the manager for this occasion. He told her she could bring a baby sitter to watch the children, but would have to pay for both the space she and friends were going to use and the space for the sitter and children. She didn't like that.

I've watched a few episodes of Judge Judy lately, where the plaintiff is unhappy that the defendant [who they found in a coffee shop, took no references for/from, and don't know the full details of] wasn't doing a good job of minding their child.  I really don't understand the "logic" of the decision to hand over your most precious person/people to relative strangers. :o

Your son's customer sounds entitled as well as a gambler!
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Yarnspinner

« Reply #4562 on: February 09, 2018, 10:19:52 AM »
Local Community Blogger:  Hi, I see you are having a fun event this weekend for kids!
Me: Yes, we are doing  XYZ.
LCB:  I'd like to advertise the event on my blog. Can you tell me about it.
Me: Describes event.
LCB: Okay, one last thing.  Can you email me photos of the event so I can put it on my blog today to advertise it?
Me: Um.....

GreenBird

« Reply #4563 on: February 09, 2018, 10:56:22 AM »
Local Community Blogger:  Hi, I see you are having a fun event this weekend for kids!
LCB: Okay, one last thing.  Can you email me photos of the event so I can put it on my blog today to advertise it?

It does sound silly the way it was phrased, but I imagine he was asking for photos from past years' events to use to advertise this year's event. 

Luci

« Reply #4564 on: February 09, 2018, 11:02:46 AM »

It does sound silly the way it was phrased, but I imagine he was asking for photos from past years' events to use to advertise this year's event.
Agree with Greenbird.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #4565 on: February 09, 2018, 11:42:58 AM »
Oh, you guys just want to suck the fun out of everything. ^_^ Of course that was what she meant, but I was going for the funny.  Even she said "Oh my God, that sounded stupid, didn't it?"  On the other hand...it was advertised as "First Annual...."  So that should have been a clue.

rose red

« Reply #4566 on: February 09, 2018, 01:56:20 PM »
Depending on the event, you can still send pictures of the set-up and props and things like that.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #4567 on: February 09, 2018, 02:10:21 PM »
Dear person applying to a limited access program:

If you were able to find the application site, you also could find the program information page, which lists the process for applying to this program, including 10 prerequisite courses, experience with design, and the ability to attend a two day session displaying your designs and meeting with the board.

* We have had a huge increase of applicants, some who have taken only one of the prerequisite courses.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

MissRose

« Reply #4568 on: February 19, 2018, 10:42:06 AM »
I wish customers would understand that making a major change to your account that affects either something technical or financial, the methods to confirm account ownership are non negotiable for the most part.  Even after you tell them why things are to be a certain way, some of them act like we can circumvent the rules.  In some companies, that is both a HP thing and/or could also be Professional Darwinism.   

XRogue

« Reply #4569 on: February 22, 2018, 08:49:05 PM »
I wish customers would understand that making a major change to your account that affects either something technical or financial, the methods to confirm account ownership are non negotiable for the most part.  Even after you tell them why things are to be a certain way, some of them act like we can circumvent the rules.  In some companies, that is both a HP thing and/or could also be Professional Darwinism.

Ditto for my customers and company.  Thankfully the customers back down most of the time. The rest either hang up on me in frustration or get to talk to my immediate manager (who is well over 6 feet and sounds like a cross between James Earl Jones and Mr. Carson from Downton Abbey). So far so good. :D