• March 18, 2018, 02:55:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
I don't see anything wrong with putting something on Facebook to let people know, whether it goes on your MIL's page or is created as a separate event.  There are many people who would appreciate it because they might not otherwise hear until it is long over.  And there are a few people who will go 'Tsk, tsk, tsk'.  You can't please everybody so do what works best for you and your family.

Time For a Coffee Break! / Re: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!
« Last post by MyFamily on Today at 12:51:54 PM »

There are so many things about this house but my favorite is that it can only be shown on sunny days.
It sounds to me that you have some sort of business that you also sell to other parents at the school.  So, either stand strong and finish out the year (and keep being stressed) or figure out if you can cut your losses.  Can you return any products, can you sell only to those that you are already friends with, use the items yourself, etc.  I don't like how bullies can force someone out, but sometimes that is what happens.  If the pot stirrer is continuing to harass you by saying things to other parents, take it to the director and ask that they step in!  Be ready to hear and address whatever the issue is, my guess is that the pot stirrer is angry over what she perceives to be a profit made by you.  True or false?  Be vocal!!  Defend yourself to the director, ignore or confront the pot stirrer.
Humor Me! / Re: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.
« Last post by violinp on Today at 11:47:20 AM »
DS (19) asked me what BFE meant.

I squirmed, laughed, and finally answered him.

I remember the embarrassment when I had to explain to my dad what that particular acronym meant - especially because he was the one who taught me how to curse, so I assumed he'd know the phrase.
It is possible to "memorialize" her page, but my FIL doesn't want to do it yet because once you do it, you can't post to it

Not quite. Once an account is memorialized, people can still post to it, depending on how the account holder set permissions. If set to “only me,” then no one can post.  If set to “friends” or any other settings then those people can post.  If your  FIL was allowed to post before she died, then he can post when it is memorialized. If there are restrictions on who can view posts, those restrictions stay.

If the deceased set a legacy person before passing, the legacy person  can get full control of the account, including changing profile pictures or changing permissions.

I dealt with a relative’s FB page after he died. He had not designated a legacy, so all I could do was to ask FB to memorialize it. Since I was on his friend list, I was able to post.  I posted an announcement of his death, and later an announcement of his memorial. Unfortunately, he had recently put up a horrible profile picture as a joke—it was a very bizarre painting. Since he had designated no legacy person to manage his account, that picture will remain forever.
I think it's practical to do this and see nothing wrong with it. It's the efficient way to get the word out to people who would otherwise miss out on hearing about it, and who would want to attend.
The pot-stirrer parent who started this original mess is still at it.  I'm working on something with some parents from the original group, providing some of them with a specific thing, along the line of the supplies analogy from the OP.  This is related to the original incident.  Because of the original incident, the process of getting the supplies has been delayed. 

I'm confused?  Why are you still working on this, I had thought you backed out?  From your post, it sounds like you only backed out for a bit, but now you are doing same activity again with maybe a different group?  I would recommend backing out completely for this event.  Don't provide any supplies, don't meet with other parents, truely back out and don't get involved. If you want to avoid this stress, seems like not subjecting yourself to this is the best plan.
I am so sorry for your loss.

In this digital age, I don't see anything wrong with it. You will reach the audience you want to this way. If anyone complains, explain as you did above about there being many people who knew her that you didn't know. I actually think it's kind of thoughtful for you do consider doing that because there will be some who won't hear and will be sorry they missed the opportunity to  honour her in this way.
We recently rescued a dog that has the worst separation anxiety I've ever seen (as evidence by non-stop barking).  After trying some meds that didn't work, the vet recommended a certain high end, non-shocking bark collar.  It worked fine until yesterday and when my housemate got home, she seemed surprised he was so agitated.  It was then I noticed the collar was on the kitchen counter.  I pointed out he probably needs to be wearing it, and she initially denied it!  Then sanity prevailed.  She's a smart woman, but I guess she thought a blinking red light on a counter sent off magical waves to reduce a dog's anxiety.

there was an ad on the local listserv recently - someone selling a bark collar. Reason - "Dog didn't like it."

I thought that was the whole point?
It is possible to "memorialize" her page, but my FIL doesn't want to do it yet because once you do it, you can't post to it.  And he may wish to post information there as well, or other news/updates.  He doesn't have a FB account of his own, or doesn't think he does.  Eventually he'll probably memorialize the page and have himself as a "legacy contact" (I spent some time looking into how the process works for him).  So that's another option, simply having him post it to her page, although it might get buried in the posts that people are making to talk about her life and legacy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10