News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 13, 2017, 10:42:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O PD Student Darwinism  (Read 768701 times)

HoneyBee42

Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #2460 on: November 09, 2017, 07:00:37 PM »
In my inbox today is a message from the student rep asking why no one received the flyer.  My response?  "Please see my emails dated Monday, Wednesday, and Friday".

So far I have had no response.  >:( ::)

We had a vendor get mad at our "bad communication." It turned out that he'd accidentally marked our reps message as "spam" when he didn't immediately recognize the email address, so all subsequent messages were going to his junk mail folder.

It's possible there's a technical reason the student is not seeing the message.

When I went back to school part-time, there was a sudden change from our existing platform to a Microsoft product. I auto-forwarded everything to my office address, so I wouldn't have to check my school mail regularly. That turned out to be a really good thing, because the default settings on the new platform took important announcements from the Registrar's Office and would auto-file them under a new and really-not-obvious folder called "Other".

Due to the auto-forward, I was getting everything sent to my school address in my inbox. But students actually using the school's email platform were missing important announcements because no one knew the "Other" folder existed.

Yep. As one of those students, I raised holy ehell about the "other" folder. I was getting junk to the "focused" folder, but correspondences from my professors were getting dumped to the other folder! I received a survey about the new and improved email and I let loose on the idiocy in that! They at least fixed it so we now get most of our professors emails in the focused folder.  ::)

I hate the 2 folders too.   >:(

When I was in college, I used Outlook Express (because it was free on my computer).  I turned the spam filter off on my school email's web server so that everything would come through to Outlook.  That made it a lot easier for me to customize what emails would come through to my inbox and what emails would be listed as spam.
True--I love my folders and my rules ... but I would certainly hate for anyone else to be in charge of how my email gets sorted.  Work has some filters, but I am able to white-list and re-sort (like my insurance agent, when I've had to make changes like adding another car, she can email me the paperwork and I can electronically sign and send it back ... work auto-sorted that into spam, but I fixed that).

DanaJ

« Reply #2461 on: November 10, 2017, 10:55:01 AM »
Yep. As one of those students, I raised holy ehell about the "other" folder. I was getting junk to the "focused" folder, but correspondences from my professors were getting dumped to the other folder! I received a survey about the new and improved email and I let loose on the idiocy in that! They at least fixed it so we now get most of our professors emails in the focused folder.  ::)

That would be the one. What was particularly maddening was the design did not mark "focused" and "other" graphically as tabs, the way other mail platforms do, like Gmail. Instead, it was entirely text links and so "focused other" was just somewhere by the top of the screen and it wasn't clear that they are separate links for different inboxes.

You can change the settings to merge everything into one, single box, but no one knew the separation was there at all at first. It annoyed a lot of students and faculty as well.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2462 on: November 10, 2017, 11:14:07 AM »

That would be the one. What was particularly maddening was the design did not mark "focused" and "other" graphically as tabs, the way other mail platforms do, like Gmail. Instead, it was entirely text links and so "focused other" was just somewhere by the top of the screen and it wasn't clear that they are separate links for different inboxes.

You can change the settings to merge everything into one, single box, but no one knew the separation was there at all at first. It annoyed a lot of students and faculty as well.

CRUD MONKEYS!! Thank you so much! I had no idea you could merge them back into one. I just found where you could do it. :D
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2463 on: November 19, 2017, 11:32:06 PM »
I have a feeling I will have a lot of fodder for this folder come spring semester. I was accepted into one of the limited access programs (YAY!) and we had our program orientation recently. This sense of entitlement and the amount of whining I heard from grown adults was astounding. The director was quite blunt that if they didn't like it and didn't abide by the very strict rules and guidelines set forth, they would be dismissed from the program. Period. It ought to be interesting to say the least...
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Dr. F.

« Reply #2464 on: November 21, 2017, 11:29:34 AM »
A student took my class last semester and failed miserably, probably because he never showed up to class. He's retaking it this semester. He shows up to most classes, and then walks out 15 minutes into every single (hour-long) lecture. He's failing miserably *again*. This is a required class for the major, and he can't take any other classes for the major until he passes this one. You'd think he could at least attend!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2465 on: November 21, 2017, 11:50:10 AM »
A student took my class last semester and failed miserably, probably because he never showed up to class. He's retaking it this semester. He shows up to most classes, and then walks out 15 minutes into every single (hour-long) lecture. He's failing miserably *again*. This is a required class for the major, and he can't take any other classes for the major until he passes this one. You'd think he could at least attend!

I know a woman that has failed A&P 1 THREE times. She's a good friend of mine, but she was peeved that I passed it the first time with a high A. She asked me how. I told her I went to the professor's study sessions, all the supplemental study session given by his TA, had a study group, and I had a tutor I saw once a week. Well THAT is just too much work for her. Well I'm not the one who's failed the class three times. You asked me how I passed it with such a great grade, I told you, so either do it or shut your mouth.

She ticked because she must pass it in order to continue on her major track as well. The next time she takes it, she can't use financial aid for it, she will have to pay out of pocket and pay out of state tuition fees for that class. Out of state tuition fees are going to be 4 times the rate as for in state residents. I guess it's a sort of punishment/motivation to actually do well in it this time.

DanaJ

« Reply #2466 on: November 22, 2017, 11:33:28 AM »
A fear of inadvertant Student Darwinism (prof misunderstood project):

This did not end in catastrophe, but boy-oh-boy was I paranoid for years! For a course that was essentially a combo of art history, iconolography/semiotics, and philosophy we had a lot of leeway for a final project. In keeping with the theme of that term's course, I'd devised a project with a similar premise as Zardoz — a stupid movie, but its premise could underscore a huge chunk of our term's work!

I had decided to work wiith a "what if" scenario in which humanity has long since expired, and astronauts from another world are sifting through our ruins and come across bit 'n bobs of 20th century pop-culture artifacts. Misunderstanding what they've found, they believe they discovered humanity's key religious text: (let's pretend it's) Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who.

So the project included a "corrupted translation" of the text (as misunderstood by the alien archeologists) and goes on to explore how it would influence iconography of the alien world. It was fun way to connect various aspects of the coursework, and I got a grade on par with my performance in the course over the term. Not bad, but not great.

However, my prof added a note saying he thought the story (Horton) was quite charming and I should look into getting it published.  :o  So for years, I was afraid the prof would see Horton Hears a Who in a book store, accuse me of plagiarism, and my academic career would unravel!

Nothing really would have come of it, because the parameters of my project had been thoroughly spelled out and explained in the abstract and introduction of my project. There should have been no way the prof should have thought was claiming Horton was my original work. But nonetheless I worried every time I thought of it for years.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2467 on: December 05, 2017, 10:38:38 PM »
I'm currently enrolled in a classically difficult science course that has a required lab. In all similar classes, the rule has always been the same---you must pass both the lecture and the lab with a C or better to pass the course. This is spelled out in the syllabus. This is the first thing the prof went over the first day of class. The prof repeatedly has reminded students of this criterion. REPEATEDLY. The prof reminded everyone again the week before the drop period ended just in case they could not recoup their grade in one section. The smart ones dropped the course. The not smart ones are currently flipping out and acting like this is the first time they've heard about the "crazy" requirement. It's definitely not. I had to take 3 other science courses before I qualified to take this one. Guess what? They were all set up exactly the same. I'm just setting back shaking my head.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

BeagleMommy

« Reply #2468 on: December 07, 2017, 03:11:05 PM »
Got a call this week from a potential SD candidate.

My university's procedure regarding transfer credits from other institutions is that we review the applicant's transcript and course descriptions from the transferring institution to see if they coordinate with what our courses cover.  The maximum we allow to transfer is 21 credits.  I get a call that went like this:

Student:  Can you tell me how many of my credits would transfer from Other College?
Me:  We would have to get your transcript from Other College to review the courses.
Student:  Why?
Me:  Because not all courses may transfer if they don't match our requirements.
Student:  But it is a graduate program.
Me:  The same rules apply whether you are undergrad or grad.  Have you applied to our program?
Student:  No.  I don't want to apply unless I know how many credits will transfer.  I will just send my transcripts.
Me:  You can do that, but Admissions won't send your file to us unless it is a complete application.
Student:  Why can't you just tell me how many credits will transfer.
Me:  I already told you we need to review your transcript once you have applied.  Just so you know, the maximum we will accept is 21 credit.
Student:  But I completed 30!  I can't go to a place that won't accept all 30. (click)

I know of no university that will tell you over the phone how many transfer credits you will get over the phone without reviewing a transcript.

gramma dishes

« Reply #2469 on: December 07, 2017, 03:19:17 PM »
^^^  I do understand that some credits won't transfer because of differences in course requirements from one institution to another, but why the cut off at 21?   Sometimes people move with their spouse's jobs, etc., and remaining at the current school is just not possible.  It does seem a little unfair to cut out worked for and paid for credit hours that were completed successfully.

rashea

« Reply #2470 on: December 07, 2017, 03:42:19 PM »
^^^  I do understand that some credits won't transfer because of differences in course requirements from one institution to another, but why the cut off at 21?   Sometimes people move with their spouse's jobs, etc., and remaining at the current school is just not possible.  It does seem a little unfair to cut out worked for and paid for credit hours that were completed successfully.

Many places require that you get at least a certain percentage of your credits from them. Otherwise you could go to Easy-U for 3.5 semesters, transfer last minute to hard-as-hell-college, and graduate.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

gramma dishes

« Reply #2471 on: December 07, 2017, 07:11:47 PM »

Many places require that you get at least a certain percentage of your credits from them. Otherwise you could go to Easy-U for 3.5 semesters, transfer last minute to hard-as-hell-college, and graduate.

Oh.  I see.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2472 on: December 07, 2017, 07:20:43 PM »
Schools and programs are accredited by different regional and national associations, and must follow the rules they set.

The average Master's program is 30-33 hours long. Taking more than 2/3 of those hours as transfer credit would lower the bar for their program in rankings.

For our undergraduate programs, 120 hours on average, and the last 30 must be completed at my university for the student to graduate and earn the degree.

If the person moved and could no longer attend classes at their original institution, they might be able to switch to an online one.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2473 on: December 07, 2017, 08:08:48 PM »

My last university just required that your last X number of credits had to be done with them. I transferred in a whole (largely irrelevant) BA, and started off as a senior in my program, but since I still had to do the prereqs and major courses, I was well over however many they wanted you to complete there.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture