News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 16, 2017, 03:53:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cookie Exchange Ideas  (Read 613 times)

TeamBhakta

Cookie Exchange Ideas
« on: November 22, 2017, 09:25:27 PM »
Since Christmas is just around the corner: does anyone have a good cookie exchange recipe to share ? I like to plan ahead when it comes to Christmas baking!  ;D

LadyBe205

Re: Cookie Exchange Ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 09:28:51 PM »
My favorite are Butterscotch Haystacks. 

Vall

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 03:06:36 AM »
This is the cookie recipe that I'm known for.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/10917/white-chocolate-and-cranberry-cookies/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=search%20results&clickId=cardslot%204

I double the recipe except only use 1 3/4 c. of craisins which I soak in 1 1/2 c. of warm water with 1t of brandy flavoring.  I use a whole bag of Ghirardelli white chips (they work the best).  I bake them 11 or 12 minutes.  I've never tried actual brandy in the recipe because I really like the flavor of Kroger brand brandy flavoring.

Everyone asks me to make these cookies every year and they vanish quickly.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 07:57:45 AM »
For me, it depends on how many dozen I need to make for the exchange.  A smaller amount, like 5-6 dozen, I'll do something more labour intensive, like gingersnaps (that aren't snappy because we don't like them that way - slightly under baked so they are still soft) or rolled gingerbread or shortbread.  For larger amounts, I go with a drop cookie.  I have a great oatmeal cookie recipe that is fabulous with either raisins or chocolate chips.

My favourite for exchanges would probably be pecan balls.  Basically a shortbread, with ground pecans, rolled into balls and baked then rolled in icing sugar after baking.  They take a little less icing sugar in the batter than a regular shortbread, made up for with the coating.

I can supply recipes, if you like, but I'll have to do it tonight when I'm home.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

TeamBhakta

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 08:43:54 AM »
I can supply recipes, if you like, but I'll have to do it tonight when I'm home.

Yes, please! Your recipes sound yummy ;D

This is the cookie recipe that I'm known for.

That sounds like a keeper  :)

My favorite are Butterscotch Haystacks.

I do love butterscotch  8)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 08:49:49 AM by TeamBhakta »

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 09:14:22 AM »
I had one of my favourites saved on my work computer:

Cranberry White Chocolate Shortbread

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup corn starch
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (I used salted butter and left out the salt)
3/4 cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
icing sugar for dusting (optional) (I didn't bother)

Preheat oven to 300F.  Line a 9" X 13" baking pan with parchment paper so that it overhangs ends for easy removal.  (I doubled the recipe and used a larger cookie sheet.  It didn't work as well - it cracked and crumbled when I tried to lift it out of the pan because of the larger size.  When I tried it again with the 9" X 13" pan, it worked much better.)

In a large bowl combine flour with corn starch and salt.  In a separate bowl, beat butter with icing sugar and vanilla until very creamy.  Stir in flour mixture then cranberries and chocolate chips.  Using floured fingers, pat evening into prepared pan.  Using a fork, mark the surface all over.

Bake in preheated oven 40-50 minutes or until deep golden around edges.  Let stand in pan on wire rack for 30 minutes.  Using parchment paper, lift out of pan.  Slice into bars while still warm.  Cool completely.  Dust with icing sugar if desired.

What's nice about this recipe is the long baking time.  It gives you time to clean up your mess so that once they are out of the oven, you can relax.  And after the cooling time, you can further relax with a cup of tea and the edges you trimmed off to square up the bars.   ;D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 09:17:30 AM »
This is another favourite - the recipe off the Kraft peanut butter jar with a couple of additions.  It's great if you have any GF friends or relatives.

1 cup of peanut butter
cup of sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
~ cup Chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat the oven to 325.  Roll the dough into little balls and place on a cookie sheet.  (I have a little scoop thing like a miniature ice cream scoop from Pampered Chef that is specifically for cookies so I dont have to roll the balls.)  Flatten the balls with a fork dipped in water.  They do spread a little while cooking, so leave enough room between them.  Bake for 20 minutes.  DO NOT OVERBAKE!  (Gauge by other recipes whether your oven runs a little hot or a little cool.)  Let stand on the cookie sheet for a few minutes to firm up before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.  It is easiest to remove them from the cookie sheet with a metal spatula.  Makes approximately 2 dozen cookies.
Ontario

blarg314

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 07:43:59 PM »

Haselnussmakronen are delicious, and a bit different from the usual run.

1 medium eggs
250 g powdered/icing sugar
250 g finely ground hazelnuts
finely grated peel of half a lemon

Beat the eggs with the sugar until very foamy and the sugar completely dissolved. This will take about 10 minutes with an electric mixer. Fold in the hazelnuts and lemon peel. Pipe or drop the batter onto a tray lined with parchment paper. Bake at 180 C / 350 F for 12-15 minutes (until slightly browned and cracked). Cool for a while before transfering to a rack.

The result is a sweet, intensely hazelnutty cookie with an almost meringue-like texture. It's also gluten free, so nice to have on hand when you have guests over.

velly j

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 03:42:38 AM »
This is another favourite - the recipe off the Kraft peanut butter jar with a couple of additions.  It's great if you have any GF friends or relatives.

1 cup of peanut butter
cup of sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
~ cup Chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat the oven to 325.  Roll the dough into little balls and place on a cookie sheet.  (I have a little scoop thing like a miniature ice cream scoop from Pampered Chef that is specifically for cookies so I dont have to roll the balls.)  Flatten the balls with a fork dipped in water.  They do spread a little while cooking, so leave enough room between them.  Bake for 20 minutes.  DO NOT OVERBAKE!  (Gauge by other recipes whether your oven runs a little hot or a little cool.)  Let stand on the cookie sheet for a few minutes to firm up before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.  It is easiest to remove them from the cookie sheet with a metal spatula.  Makes approximately 2 dozen cookies.

I made these last night, with the addition of some ground almonds to give a slightly crumblier texture. They are DELICIOUS. Not too sweet, and with that amazing peanut butter taste (I could live on peanut butter) Thank you!!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 09:44:59 PM »
I had one of my favourites saved on my work computer:

Cranberry White Chocolate Shortbread

Haselnussmakronen are delicious, and a bit different from the usual run.

Loving these ideas  ;D

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 10:40:35 PM »
I can't eat them, but man oh man did I love the Snickerdoodle once upon a time.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

lorelai

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 01:23:28 AM »
I love to make chocolate chai snickerdoodles for cookie exchanges.