News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 12, 2017, 10:32:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silencing a co-worker's phone  (Read 2736 times)

bopper

Re: Silencing a co-worker's phone
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 10:37:02 AM »
I would silence it but leave a note I did so.

GardenGal

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 11:32:04 AM »
I wouldn't silence the phone, but I'd put it in a desk drawer and leave her a note why.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

TabathasGran

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 11:50:02 AM »
This usually only happens to me when I am traveling out of my timezone.  Often that means I am in a conference room working with others, and have stepped out to take a call or get a coffee when my alarm goes off.  (I have a work phone and a personal phone)

My coworker has said "I shut your dingdangity phone off." with a laugh or something similar when this happened. That's fine with me.  We all spend too much time in close quarters to be sensitive about things like that. It's my own fault for forgetting to change my alarms or put my phone on mute.

Personally I wouldn't care if the phone rang and a coworker sent it to voicemail or picked it up and said I'd gone to the moon.  No one is calling me that is going to be upset by being sent to voicemail.  Thank heavens. 

TootsNYC

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 02:58:53 PM »
If you silence it with the volume button, you REALLY need to leave a post-it that tells them you've done so.

You could really mess me up with that.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 05:22:04 PM »
I think when Tone-Loc's "Wild Thing" has blasted your coworkers for the fifth time in five minutes, you're lucky if all they do is turn the volume down.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

RainyDays

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 06:46:24 PM »
If you silence it with the volume button, you REALLY need to leave a post-it that tells them you've done so.

You could really mess me up with that.

When you press the volume button (just once, not holding it) it silences the ringing on that call only. It doesn't change any settings. The phone will ring like normal during the next call.

I actually do that almost every time my phone rings, out of habit from when I'm in public and my phone starts going off. I silence it immediately, then look at it and answer it.

TootsNYC

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 08:08:10 PM »
When you press the volume button (just once, not holding it) it silences the ringing on that call only. It doesn't change any settings. The phone will ring like normal during the next call.

That I did not know!  How clever.

If that works, then yes, I think a person is totally clear to do that.

cicero

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 03:13:53 AM »
I wouldn't do anything with the phone, but I would have a talk with them as soon as I saw them again.

That is what I would do. I feel that it's not OK to leave your personal phone sitting there ringing and disturbing others in a work setting (or any other setting, for that matter). This can be done amicably: "Hey, just so you know, your phone was ringing and ringing when you are out of the room. It's pretty loud and distracting - next time, could you silence your phone? If you could go ahead and do that, that'd be greeeeeaaaat." (Office Space reference :D)
This is where I land.

I wouldn't touch a co-worker's personal property. Especially something like a ringing cell phone, where my fiddling around with it, may inadvertently cause some problems (I accidentally cut off someone or accidentally answer a call they didn't want to answer, etc).
ETA: if it gets really bad, I would move the phone to a drawer till that person gets back. And if talking to them doesn't help, then escalate it up to a manager
(love the reference to Office Space)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:16:15 AM by cicero »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

MurPl1

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 10:32:25 AM »
Those are not your only two options.  You can ask him/her to lower the volume or set it to silent.   Or you can go to your supervisor to ask them to handle it. 

But if you touched my phone I would be going to your boss and/or HR.

kckgirl

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »
Those are not your only two options.  You can ask him/her to lower the volume or set it to silent.   Or you can go to your supervisor to ask them to handle it. 

The problem with that is the coworker who goes to a long meeting and has a loud or obnoxious ringtone. If I silence it or put it in a desk drawer to muffle it, I won't care if he/she goes to the boss and/or HR. The person who left the phone behind caused the problem.
Maryland

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 12:49:34 PM »

The problem with that is the coworker who goes to a long meeting and has a loud or obnoxious ringtone. If I silence it or put it in a desk drawer to muffle it, I won't care if he/she goes to the boss and/or HR. The person who left the phone behind caused the problem.

I agree.  I sometimes forget to take my phone with me when I go to the washroom or for a wander around the office for a break from my computer.  If it was ringing loudly and someone either hit the silence button or popped it in a drawer?  As long as they left me a note/emailed me with what they'd done, I'd be fine with it.  Even if they didn't let me know, I'm sure I'd figure it out eventually and I might just ask that they let me know in the future.

I've actually turned down the ringer on someone's phone before, though it was their desk phone and not their personal cell.  He was working in a different part of the office after hours on an emergency situation and had his phone cranked so he could run for it if it rang.  He forgot to turn it back down and was away the next day because he'd worked late.  I turned the ringer down and sent him an email so he'd know.  No harm, no foul all the way around.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 04:47:37 AM »

Even if it was just to mute that one call? That seems like an extreme overreaction. But also probably moot, as you wouldn't be likely to know they'd done that, unless they actually told you... in which case, I hope your first reaction would be to apology for forgetting to silence it yourself.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

MurPl1

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 08:26:58 AM »
For all of your who think I'm overacting I'm responding to the two options given by the OP.   Not all the other comments asking the way.  I gave other options prior to escalating it.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 08:59:34 AM »

I've silenced a co-worker's ("Rose") phone, so that the boss didn't find out that Rose was contravening company policy...  We all did anything to not get on the wrong side of that woman (boss), including protecting our co-workers.

Had Rose reported me?  Well, 'them's the breaks'. ;)  She thanked me for saving her bacon, so it all worked out well for us.

For all of your who think I'm overacting I'm responding to the two options given by the OP.   Not all the other comments asking the way.  I gave other options prior to escalating it.

I'm a bit puzzled by this.  The OP mentioned a) doing something to stop the ringing or b) just let the ringing keep irritating everyone else in the absence of the phone's owner.  I don't see how they can ask someone who is not there to deal with it, and going to that person's supervisor seems a little aggressive as a first option.

Have you deleted your other responses?  I had a look and can't see any other reply from you...
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 07:09:45 PM »

I can imagine how that would go down.

Employee: "I want to file a complaint! I accidentally left the volume turned up on my cell phone and left for a meeting. Apparently, it rang a few times while I was gone so another employee turned it down. How dare she touch my stuff!"

HR/Boss: "Yes, I heard about the disruption you caused by leaving your personal property out in the workplace. Janice was trying to get the deposit done, Alice was on the phone with (important client) and we had a surprise visit from (big boss) while you were gone. You did cause a good deal of aggravation and embarrassment with the volume and the ringtone itself.

You should not have your phone out during working hours, as you are expected to work while you are on the clock. I will expect you to keep your phone put away and out of sight and hearing at all times unless you are on a break. Understood?"

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!