News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 13, 2017, 01:16:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Angry stranger in the grocery store - WWYD?  (Read 2626 times)

lmyrs

Re: Angry stranger in the grocery store - WWYD?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 12:32:47 PM »
I agree with don't engage the crazy, especially since the target of the wrath seemed so blase about it. I do agree that security should have offered to walk the target to her car though.

If the target had seemed uncomfortable or scared, I would probably call security.

This is like the boorish guy and the red-haired waitress. You take your cues from the target.

I don't actually think these are the same at all. This is two people on equal footing - both customers in line at a store. The other example was a clear and obvious power imbalance. It was much less safe for that waitress to speak up than it was for the target in this story.

bopper

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 01:07:14 PM »
maybe tell management.

Adelaide

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 05:11:18 PM »
Thanks everyone! I feel better about my decision to just mind my own business.

TootsNYC

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 05:36:30 PM »
It's interesting that the cashier was so disengaged. Maybe S1 is a regular there and the employees are accustomed to her antics.

It's also interesting that S2 was also nonplussed and that she got in line behind S!. If I'm in a place place and see someone that I had a bad interaction with, I avoid them. Absolutely would not get in line behind them.

I had both those thoughts.

It's possible S2 didn't realize who she was in line behind until too late, and then thought it would be too noticeable to move.

Adelaide

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 08:41:38 AM »
It's interesting that the cashier was so disengaged. Maybe S1 is a regular there and the employees are accustomed to her antics.

It's also interesting that S2 was also nonplussed and that she got in line behind S!. If I'm in a place place and see someone that I had a bad interaction with, I avoid them. Absolutely would not get in line behind them.

I had both those thoughts.

It's possible S2 didn't realize who she was in line behind until too late, and then thought it would be too noticeable to move.

The lines were very long and S2 would have had to walk quite a bit back to get back in a line. As for the cashier, I've never seen him express any emotion. We have the same interaction every time, and every time he replies "Well, I'm doin' okay" in the same tone when asked how he is. So I'm not personally surprised at his lack of reaction.