« Last post by Luci on Yesterday at 11:24:59 PM »
Today is Thanksgiving and our hot water heater diedBetter the water heater than the only toilet! Or the stove, as happened once to my grandmother.
Thanksgiving seems to be a popular time for critical failures!
A few years ago we lost our fridge Thanksgiving night. It was full to bursting with leftovers.
This year my in-laws had already planned to come to our house for Thanksgiving, which turned out to be a good thing because their house was without power for a full week and it just came on this morning.
We lost the whole sewer system twice when serving 35 people. Fortunately, we are half a block away from two gas stations. That did however mean no rinsing the dishes - we use real China or Corelle and silver or stainless - so I had a gluey mess to soak clean the next day. I put my foot down the summer following and we had the whole system redone.
I didn't mind when the power went out because it was plenty cold to put the food in the garage from the fridge and outside in coolers from the freezer. And we had lots of candles. That year guests left at a reasonable time! I don't mind washing dishes by hand, and the power came on late in the evening so the house didn't get too cold for us and we were on schedule with washing and ironing the linens.