Author Topic: Policy for when there are issues with posters?  (Read 41625 times)

Wavicle

Policy for when there are issues with posters?
« on: August 10, 2011, 02:09:52 PM »
This pops up every once in a while, but I was wondering if we could establish how the mods tend to handle situations where posters may not be getting the whole truth. This could mean involving posters off board, or straight up making things up to garner sympathy.

I understand if it is policy to completely keep things off board, but I would just likes some clarification for how mods/admin would prefer we handle things. Report to the mods, just use mental ignore on that poster's threads, or politely (that being the key word) express doubt in thread without necessarily calling them out? Do you monitor things, or just rely on posters to use their heads?

I don't see anything wrong with either policy, but it may help reduce the frequency that derailing posts are brought up in threads to be able to point this out. It may also help in how people evaluate personal reactions to know if the mods will be a safety net or to know that it will not be publically declared if someone is not being honest.

I am sorry if this thread is inappropriate, but I have seen other boards where people get taken advantage of both in emotional energy, time, and money. I have just bee curious how mods/admins would prefer to see posters handle it.

penelope2017

Re: Policy for when there are issues with posters?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 02:32:04 PM »
It is easy to say ignore, but when you are watching good, kind people get emotionally drawn into very painful elaborate stories, it gets hard to do so.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 02:50:23 PM »
It is easy to say ignore, but when you are watching good, kind people get emotionally drawn into very painful elaborate stories, it gets hard to do so.

Agree.

It's one thing when people make up harmless silly stories that might annoy a bit but do no harm.

It's quite another when stories of massive grief, loss or huge life issues are made up solely to garner sympathy and attention from unsuspecting posters.  That is sickening and insulting.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:52:44 PM by Scuba_Dog »
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Wavicle

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 02:54:24 PM »
I have also seen a couple situations were the poster is telling the truth, but there are some additional details that may affect how posters would feel about the situation.

Also, I am sorry if this has been directly addressed. I did remember a similar thread from a while ago, but don't recall a mod/admin stepping in. I just want to make sure I act appropriately based on mod/admin preference if it comes up.

Hillia

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 03:04:12 PM »
I thought the stated policy was to notify an admin before calling public shenanigans?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

penelope2017

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 03:05:53 PM »
As far as I know, the mods were notified (more than once?) about this poster and shenanigans. Not sure how one proceeds then if the threads, pain and suffering continue after that notification other than to call the poster out?

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 03:08:18 PM »
Posting to get a mod's opinion of this, because I am feeling quite angry at the moment because I was totally taken in by a recent thread.

It took clearer heads than mine to notice the inconsistencies, and I'm actually a little embarrassed I was taken in.
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 03:09:43 PM »
It took clearer heads than mine to notice the inconsistencies, and I'm actually a little embarrassed I was taken in.

Don't be embarrassed. Even if it turns out that the stories were false, there's nothing wrong with being someone who cares about other people.
The status is not quo!

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 03:11:37 PM »
Thanks WF, I'm usually a lot sharper than that.  :) now that they've been pointed out, the inconsistencies seem absolutely glaring.
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

Wavicle

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 03:11:55 PM »
I will admit that this was sparked by a recent thread, but I honestly mean this in a general sense. I have been wondering about this for a long time, and it just took a little while for me to go ahead and ask.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 03:14:16 PM »
Me too, and I really hate when people do this kind of thing. Having a friend who would love to have children but has still not had any success, and did suffer the loss of a pregnancy, it really makes me mad someone would make this kind of story up to get sympathy.

I tend to be one that likes to give people the benefit of the doubt (Bit of a Pollyanna in that way) but these things make me more cynical..
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

O'Dell

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 03:19:32 PM »
Hopefully a mod will pop in and answer your question this time. In general, my personal policy is to report if I think anything funky is going on and let the mods figure it out. On another board I frequented it is encouraged as the mods would rather have false alarm reports to filter through than to wait until accusations and flaming break out. Then once I report it, I stay out of the thread. I might very occasionally, send a PM to a regular board member or 2 that seem to have gotten sucked in and mention my suspicions out of concern for them.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 03:27:53 PM »
What about sending a private message to the poster you are having doubts about?
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

wheeitsme

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 03:29:23 PM »
I believe the policy tends to be to notify the Mods and stop posting.  Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction, sometimes the truth is fiction.  It's the Moderators' responsibility to make that call.  In the meantime, I figure if I'm not posting, I'm not in danger of attacking a possible innocent.

my 2cents.

penelope2017

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 03:32:43 PM »
I believe the policy tends to be to notify the Mods and stop posting.  Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction, sometimes the truth is fiction.  It's the Moderators' responsibility to make that call.  In the meantime, I figure if I'm not posting, I'm not in danger of attacking a possible innocent.

my 2cents.

I mostly agree but when it becomes thread upon thread of drama upon drama, including extremely sensitive tragedies,  with people getting emotionally invested, it starts to become painful to watch - as I said above.