Author Topic: Policy for when there are issues with posters?  (Read 40941 times)

Ticia

• Administrator
Re: Policy for when there are issues with posters?
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2011, 06:51:54 PM »
I was going to address this issue in the other thread that I locked earlier today, but since this thread was started, I shall answer here. I've locked this thread just until I post this.

If anyone has solid evidence of *anyone* being a troll or a previously banned poster, please bring that evidence to a moderator's attention by private message or violation reports. Otherwise, if we have no proof, there's not a whole lot we can do about it. The only thing we can do is give the troll enough rope to hang themselves, if you know what I mean.

If there's no proof of trolliness (What? It's a word!) the mods and admins would really appreciate the drama being kept off the forum as much as possible. I'm totally okay with private messages (to people who seem to be investing a lot of energy into a possible "Troll" story) to warn them privately that they may want to take a step back and not believe everything the poster says.

The main point is, don't feed the troll, and calling "shenanigans" in a confrontational and angry manner is playing right into their hands. Private messages can be a way to quietly diffuse the situation. If a troll doesn't get the angry/tearful/crazy responses that they desire, they'll eventually leave the forum and go find another where they *do* get that response.
Utah

Ligeia

« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2011, 08:10:36 PM »
Thanks for the clarification!  That does make sense.  I do wonder about whether calling trolls out really gives them the attention they want, though.  At least judging by the trolls I've seen here, it seems to me that what they crave are the sympathetic responses and definitely don't want to be called out.  Trolls on other boards are sometimes different, but when the modus operandi is making up incredibly sad and dramatic stories, I think the troll is after positive, not negative, attention.  In other words, feeding this particular kind of troll would actually be continuing to give understanding and sympathetic advice--that's the "food" they seem to want most.  Once someone expresses their concerns publicly, I'd think this sort of troll would be much more likely to move on because few people would believe their stories and offer sympathy any more.

But I'm just conjecturing.  It's also likely that calling trolls out publicly creates unnecessary drama, and in the end, it probably doesn't matter too much. 

McCutieBelle

« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2011, 08:16:13 PM »
I am surprised about NEW too, she was always very nice to me,.We shared similar interests in TV, I knew the fics she was writing I did not agree with totally, and the fact that she lied about that seemingly to get ideas is pretty foul. :*(
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2011, 08:27:44 PM »
In other words, feeding this particular kind of troll would actually be continuing to give understanding and sympathetic advice--that's the "food" they seem to want most.  Once someone expresses their concerns publicly, I'd think this sort of troll would be much more likely to move on because few people would believe their stories and offer sympathy any more.

Good point, which is why I think a private message "Heads up" to posters getting overly involved and giving lots of attention to the troll can be a way to diffuse the situation. If it's done quietly in private messages, people just stop responding to the trolls post and eventually they get bored and go away.
Utah

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2011, 08:28:54 PM »
I am surprised about NEW too, she was always very nice to me,.We shared similar interests in TV, I knew the fics she was writing I did not agree with totally, and the fact that she lied about that seemingly to get ideas is pretty foul. :*(

I'm so super glad that you decided to come back.  I hope you're feeling better than you were when you left the forum.  I also didn't know about NEW at the time.  :-[
"Its so fluffy I could DIE"

McCutieBelle

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2011, 08:36:37 PM »
Hi Fluffy Cat, thank you  ;D it means a lot to me. I am feeling better. Things are getting on track, I missed the board and you guys. I could not stay away!!

I think reporting to mods or asking for clarification if you can is good... but all in all we have to work with the mods.
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2011, 09:08:47 PM »
In other words, feeding this particular kind of troll would actually be continuing to give understanding and sympathetic advice--that's the "food" they seem to want most.  Once someone expresses their concerns publicly, I'd think this sort of troll would be much more likely to move on because few people would believe their stories and offer sympathy any more.

Good point, which is why I think a private message "Heads up" to posters getting overly involved and giving lots of attention to the troll can be a way to diffuse the situation. If it's done quietly in private messages, people just stop responding to the trolls post and eventually they get bored and go away.
The problem is that with a board as large as this one with a constant influx of new members, there is always new blood to be sucked in and provide the attention those trolls thrive on.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2011, 09:25:18 PM »
Hi Fluffy Cat, thank you  ;D it means a lot to me. I am feeling better. Things are getting on track, I missed the board and you guys. I could not stay away!!

I think reporting to mods or asking for clarification if you can is good... but all in all we have to work with the mods.

I'm sorry McCutie.  I could have sworn you posted that you were leaving the forum, but apparently I was mixing you up with someone else with an entirely different name. I'm not too bright sometimes.  :-X

McCutieBelle

« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2011, 09:35:57 PM »
Fluffy Cat, you are not wrong at all. I posted I was leaving and have not posted or been on for over a month!

I wanted to leave for a bit, because I just felt like no one really believed I have been pounding the pavement job searching and trying to get things straight in my life... but I realized that there are so many people on here, we are going to have differing opinions etc.. and I missed everyone, I am always interested in what is going on in EHell! This has just been a crazy year for me..... but it makes one stronger:)

dawbs

« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2011, 09:38:17 PM »

The problem is that with a board as large as this one with a constant influx of new members, there is always new blood to be sucked in and provide the attention those trolls thrive on.
THis is rather where I get a touch concerned.
I'm a 'sporadic' poster.  I sometimes read and post regularly.  I almost always at least lurk regularly but don't always have the time to respond.
I highly doubt I'd get a PM...not that I'm not 'emotionally invested' (sometimes over PM to the 'troll' so well-meaning folks wouldn't know  :-[), but I don't wear my internet-heart on my avatar-sleeve, so to speak.

I don't want people calling shenanigans w/o cause or creating drama but just PMing those who appear to be involved leaves a very regrettable gap for many of the rest uf us to get sucked in, IMO.

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2011, 09:42:35 PM »
Fluffy Cat, you are not wrong at all. I posted I was leaving and have not posted or been on for over a month!

Now I'm really confused.  Glad to have you back though!!!  I didn't see the post I was thinking of when I looked for it to double check myself.  Maybe you did leave for a bit at the same time I read the goodbye forum post I'm thinking of.  I have a really hard time with the search function here sometimes.

Regardless, I'll drop it now.  I was just confused.  Glad to have you back!

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2011, 09:43:52 PM »

THis is rather where I get a touch concerned.
I'm a 'sporadic' poster.  I sometimes read and post regularly.  I almost always at least lurk regularly but don't always have the time to respond.
I highly doubt I'd get a PM...not that I'm not 'emotionally invested' (sometimes over PM to the 'troll' so well-meaning folks wouldn't know  :-[), but I don't wear my internet-heart on my avatar-sleeve, so to speak.

I don't want people calling shenanigans w/o cause or creating drama but just PMing those who appear to be involved leaves a very regrettable gap for many of the rest uf us to get sucked in, IMO.

I agree with you on that.

McCutieBelle

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2011, 09:45:25 PM »
Fluffy cat, I think it was deleted, don't worry... I am glad to be back!

cbcb

• Canadian living in the US
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2011, 12:06:06 AM »
I wonder if the mods could give us a bit of a heads-up when this sort of alleged long involved story troll has been banned. I've seen "so-and-so will no longer be participating" a few times when it's a low-post, obvious troll, but rarely for one who is banned after posting her for awhile, particularly recently. It's left me very confused a number of times.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2011, 12:13:06 AM »
All i can say is that I'm another person who was taken in by NEW and a couple of other posters but I've only just realised they were trolling so I'm feeling a bit daft. I'd like to know what the mods say we should do in the future.

I too wasn't aware of the NEW situation, but I'm not surprised.  I'm not saying that I was skeptical - I'm too gullible - :-\ - but I just couldn't find a way to keep responding to this person who had so many issues.

I know that on the old Delphooey board the mods sometimes posted info re who had been gagged, banned etc. but that doesn't happen anymore, and perhaps the mods have good reason.