Author Topic: Policy for when there are issues with posters?  (Read 42966 times)

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
Re: Policy for when there are issues with posters?
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2011, 03:41:39 AM »
That's how I feel, too. I know it's not really how we do things, but I have this hierarchical mindset about post counts. I feel like people with more posts than me "outrank" me and will have more support. I feel like this on every forum, so it's nothing against anyone here. :P

I feel that way too. Sometimes being the newbie lurker makes me feel like people won't believe me, or like I should just keep my mouth shut. OTOH, I don't like posting just for the sake of bumping my numbers. Since most of what I want to say is said by the time I read a thread, I don't feel like I have anything to add to the discussion. So I go back into my corner and keep lurking with my tiny, double digit post count  :D
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Spoder

« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2011, 03:49:42 AM »
That's how I feel, too. I know it's not really how we do things, but I have this hierarchical mindset about post counts. I feel like people with more posts than me "outrank" me and will have more support. I feel like this on every forum, so it's nothing against anyone here. :P

I feel that way too. Sometimes being the newbie lurker makes me feel like people won't believe me, or like I should just keep my mouth shut. OTOH, I don't like posting just for the sake of bumping my numbers. Since most of what I want to say is said by the time I read a thread, I don't feel like I have anything to add to the discussion. So I go back into my corner and keep lurking with my tiny, double digit post count  :D

That's interesting - I've never even thought about that! Personally, I pay no attention to post count. Of course, if I don't recognize a poster's name, I'll automatically glance at their count and think, oh, that's 'cause they've only posted 14 times, or whatever. But I'm well aware that lots of people do a lot of lurking and not so much typing (unlike outspoken motormouths motorfingers like myself  ;D).

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2011, 04:47:09 AM »
There was another poster here a while ago (I think her name was Cherryripe) who I assumed was a troll, but gee her threads were entertaining, I had no "evidence" and eventually she blew herself up, I'm sure the mods were on to it faster than I was.

I never thought CherryRipe was a troll; just very self-centered and rigid in her outlook and unwilling or unable to be very empathetic or flexible.  Also her lack of etiquette was rather glaring.

strangetimes

« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2011, 04:55:48 AM »

That's interesting - I've never even thought about that! Personally, I pay no attention to post count. Of course, if I don't recognize a poster's name, I'll automatically glance at their count and think, oh, that's 'cause they've only posted 14 times, or whatever. But I'm well aware that lots of people do a lot of lurking and not so much typing (unlike outspoken motormouths motorfingers like myself  ;D).

There are probably a lot of people like me- I've been lurking for a *long* time and only recently registered. Even now , while I read a good portion of the threads, I only comment if I feel I have something to add to the discussion.

I had no idea that NEW wasn't legit, or Kinseyanne, for that matter. Just because people aren't posting in the thread, doesn't mean they aren't getting invested.

I'm also one of the totally gullible ones- that may be because so much of my life would seem absurd if I put pen to paper, so I tend to believe all kinds of crazy things.

Spoder

« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2011, 05:15:16 AM »
There was another poster here a while ago (I think her name was Cherryripe) who I assumed was a troll, but gee her threads were entertaining, I had no "evidence" and eventually she blew herself up, I'm sure the mods were on to it faster than I was.

I never thought CherryRipe was a troll; just very self-centered and rigid in her outlook and unwilling or unable to be very empathetic or flexible.  Also her lack of etiquette was rather glaring.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing, iridaceae. I assumed that she got banned because she didn't listen to anything anyone said, which drove other posters nuts, to the point that she was just an annoyance rather than an asset.

Naturally, I could be completely wrong about that.

Goodnight Kiwi

• Formerly Lucylou
« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2011, 05:32:20 AM »

I was thinking pretty much the same thing, iridaceae. I assumed that she got banned because she didn't listen to anything anyone said, which drove other posters nuts, to the point that she was just an annoyance rather than an asset.

I was thinking Cherryripe was the reincarnation of another poster, banned long ago...

But yes, I did find her posts incredibly entertaining (if also incredibly frustrating).

Spoder

« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2011, 05:35:34 AM »

I was thinking Cherryripe was the reincarnation of another poster, banned long ago...

But yes, I did find her posts incredibly entertaining (if also incredibly frustrating).

Actually, so did I - I was in the throes of posting in a thread when she was banned, and I admit I was a bit disappointed  ;)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2011, 06:04:38 AM »
Actually, so did I - I was in the throes of posting in a thread when she was banned, and I admit I was a bit disappointed  ;)

She made me cringe more than anything.  Just so...gauche if I can be excused for being trite.

She may have been a troll from long, long ago; I am only a relative newcomer here, all things considered.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2011, 06:06:51 AM »
Please tell me Kinseyanne didn't lie. :(
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

EduardosGirl

• He's thinking about you right now...
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2011, 07:10:40 AM »

Like a rug, it would seem.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2011, 07:40:22 AM »

She made me cringe more than anything.  Just so...gauche if I can be excused for being trite.

She may have been a troll from long, long ago; I am only a relative newcomer here, all things considered.

Anyone remember IndianInlaw?  She made me cringe with her daily posts of nonsense.  I often came away wondering what the heck?  Would that be considered trolling for attention?

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2011, 07:41:16 AM »

Like a rug, it would seem.

Ha. Read the spin off about fakers on line and real life lol. I remember 2 from a chat site I used to frequent!! Interesting though, the way people use the net to hide behind and create a whole new identity and life. You get the people who do it for a kick (bored with their life, want to come across as more interesting?), people who do it for sinister reasons and people who do it for sympathy. I feel sorry for the latter group most of all. :( They must have real problems in order to try and garner sympathy through lies.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2011, 07:44:13 AM »
For me, part of the reason that I don't pick up on trollers is that I don't look or read eerything.  The thread that got locked yesterday, I hadn't bothered to look at because the title was uninteresting.  I only looked at it because it did get locked, and how could such a boring thread get locked.  I wasn't een aware that KA was claiming to have miscarried.

Yes, I remember Indian-In-Law.  'Nuff said.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2011, 07:45:58 AM »

Yes, I remember Indian-In-Law.  'Nuff said.

;)

Yeah she was confusing!

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2011, 07:50:39 AM »
I think my BS detector needs recharging so I can sniff out these trolls!!