Author Topic: Policy for when there are issues with posters?  (Read 43530 times)

Spoder

Re: Policy for when there are issues with posters?
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2011, 10:13:18 AM »
I'm not sure how to explain this, but I truly don't think that posters who are not trolls, are in much danger of being mistaken for trolls.

It's not just the types of stories, or just inconsistencies in timelines, or just the fact that details get changed from one thread to another. It's nearly always a combination of those types of things, plus posting style, plus a love of drama that shows through. And often, trolls don't interact normally with other posters because they're usually narcissistic, and are only interested in threads in which they are the centre of attention.

Not that I'm any kind of troll expert, these are just my own observations.

Poirot, FWIW, I can't imagine anyone mistaking you for a troll.  :) Please don't feel you have to change anything. I hate to think that this thread would make anyone feel bad because of what some of us have posted in it.  :(

ETA: elephantschild, I think we're trying to say the same thing. I didn't do too well at it, either!

flo

• used to be re-moe
« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2011, 10:14:54 AM »
So, if you suspect that a poster is a former troll, but have nothing to back that up, would you report it to the mods?  I think what is giving me the feeling is similar writing styles but there is nothing super obvious!

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2011, 10:17:29 AM »
Thanks Shoo! I've never given much thought to timelines, because I'm posting things as they actually happen. Sometimes much later because I don't have the time or energy to post about them right away. I have thought more about it lately, because I'm home and have more time to read and post than before.

I think I'm also going to invite posters to ask me any questions they'd like if they are concerned, though.

Until all this happened, I had never really given it much thought. It makes me wonder what happened to the poster who sent me the email, and why did she disappear, though.

ETA thanks Spoder and elephantschild too, who posted while I was typing!
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2011, 10:17:43 AM »
I found the thread where I asked a medical forum about NEW. I know it's the internet but personally I believed their take on it and thought that Aura's interpretation was probably in the ballpark of the truth.

http://crass-pollination-forum.2287843.n4.nabble.com/Malingerer-td3412394.html

Interesting LadyL!  You didn't mention her food allergies and rare heart condition, that I believe required surgery or multiple surgeries!

I thought NEW also claimed to be on spectrum.   I remember the allergy it was to anyhing from the sea , including all fish, sea salt and seeweed and I think she was allergic to someting else too.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #139 on: August 11, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »

Yes, I remember Indian-In-Law.  'Nuff said.

;)

Yeah she was confusing!

I think she was before my time but I went back and read some of her threads. Not thrilling.

But was she banned for starting/participating in a flame war with another board?

She was banned for a mistake that she made.  She was not a "troll."

Just because someone's threads aren't as exciting or as relevant as you would like them to be, it doesn't make that person a troll.  I liked IndianInlaw.  She made me laugh on many occasions.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #140 on: August 11, 2011, 10:21:28 AM »

She was banned for a mistake that she made. 

I think that is putting it mildly. I don't think she was a troll, but she basically started a forum war.

And yeah, CherryRipe and FreakyFemme were the same person. Someone alerted me to the possibility and through her email, I found her FB page, and it was more than clear that they were the same person.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2011, 10:23:28 AM »

She was banned for a mistake that she made. 

I think that is putting it mildly. I don't think she was a troll, but she basically started a forum war.

I didn't say it wasn't a serious mistake, but I do not believe she set out to start a forum war.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2011, 10:26:14 AM »
Outdoorgirl - fibro is one of the easiest diseases to fake and many drug seekers fake it to get pills. A lot of medical forums refer to this stereotype as a sort of shorthand. But it's more that acting like a SS AND claiming to have fibro raises suspicion. Someone as active as you are is taken as much more credible usually. It's the patients who refuse to exercise/modify lifestyle, only want narcotic pain relievers, and are PITA drama queens who get the "oh yeah, SURE you have fibro" attitude.

People who fake neurological illnesses give the real sufferers a bad name, leading others to be forever suspicious.   >:(
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #143 on: August 11, 2011, 10:29:21 AM »
I'm definitely not a drug seeker.   ;D  The only thing that works for me is ibuprofen.  Codeine might as well be candy, demoral makes me extremely loopy but doesn't kill the pain and the acetominophin base for most of the rest of the narcotics might as well be the equivalent of 12 cups of coffee.  Which, you know, is fantastic for fibro sufferers.   :P
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Spoder

« Reply #144 on: August 11, 2011, 10:29:54 AM »

I don't notcie post counts too much unless it's someone first few posts and it's way way out there.  ie  I had a party some damage was done to my home a person  intetional started in the livingroom , spray painted on the walls ,  peed on the couch  while saying "F your stuip couch you #$%&" and kicked my dog, he also aet all the chips. The house has been repaired and my husband want to invite this person back (husband wiould have to go pick him up as he doesn't have a car it's a 400 mile drice) I think people deserve second chances but I'm not sure if I want this person back in my home, how can I politely tell my husband not to go pick him up or tell friend if he does come not to eat all the chips?

Oh, wow...  ;D sorry...I'm laughing 'til I'm just about sick over here....

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2011, 10:31:11 AM »
Outdoorgirl - fibro is one of the easiest diseases to fake and many drug seekers fake it to get pills. A lot of medical forums refer to this stereotype as a sort of shorthand. But it's more that acting like a SS AND claiming to have fibro raises suspicion. Someone as active as you are is taken as much more credible usually. It's the patients who refuse to exercise/modify lifestyle, only want narcotic pain relievers, and are PITA drama queens who get the "oh yeah, SURE you have fibro" attitude.

LOL! ITA!

Of all the people with medical problems that I know, there is only one that I have to say "Whaaa??" whenever she talks about her problems - because apparently her doctor tells her she shouldn't be doing *anything* for her fibro/arthritis/etc. - she should get as little exercise as possible and not go on any special diet (she's overweight). And it is a big drama scene whenever she has to do anything!

I am perfectly willing to believe she has medical problems, but I don't have any sympathy for her.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #146 on: August 11, 2011, 10:32:09 AM »
Thanks Shoo! I've never given much thought to timelines, because I'm posting things as they actually happen.

Yeah, but if the story's real, the timeline will sort of take care of itself, kwim? Even if you don't remember exact details, it'll make basic sense.

In retrospect, I remember KA posting when she shouldn't have been online at all, given her condition at the time, and when called on it she told a story about having just up and walked out of the hospital against medical advice.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2011, 10:36:51 AM »
I am glad that some names are being named because I was fooled by NEW and was toying with the idea of emailing her and seeing if she was okay. Now I won't bother embarrassing myself like that.

You wouldn't have been alone.  I also was taken in by her story(ies) and thought about sending her a private message.  I was genuinely concerned for her.  I guess I'm super ultra gullible, but I never questioned a word of it. 

I'm kind of glad to know I wasn't the only one.  But that doesn't make it any less sad.   :(

jibby

« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2011, 10:37:52 AM »
Wow, I am really dense.   :-[  Like others, I had no idea about NEW.  I really liked FreakyFemme and had wondered what happened to her.

Poirot, I feel the same as you do, and greatly appreciate all who responded to your concerns.  Last year was such a roller-coaster for me - if someone else related it to me, I might not believe them.  I hadn't posted much about it, only partly bc it's so emotionally draining to "re-live" it, although I truly cherish the support I get here (and I have a very hard time discussing certain problems IRL since I'm supposed to be everyone else's sounding board).

I liked IndianInlaw, too.  I don't think she was a troll, honestly.  But then, see above, I'm dense.  :P

I don't always post when I'm emotionally invested in a topic/poster, mainly bc others say it so much better than I can.  So the PM suggestions wouldn't work for me.  But I understand that the mods need to do what's best for the forum overall and whatever they decide is cool.  Ticia's post did make good points and I appreciate that she responded.

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2011, 10:38:47 AM »
I'm definitely not a drug seeker.   ;D  The only thing that works for me is ibuprofen.  Codeine might as well be candy, demoral makes me extremely loopy but doesn't kill the pain and the acetominophin base for most of the rest of the narcotics might as well be the equivalent of 12 cups of coffee.  Which, you know, is fantastic for fibro sufferers.   :P

OG, I totally understand. For some of my pain, nothing works better than ibuprofen, but I'm not allowed to take it anymore.  :( I swear it gives me more relief than any of the prescribed narcotics ever did, and swimming helps the pain WAY more than lying down. Being active actually helps, when it's possible. ( I don't have fibro, but the chronic pain and fatigue are similar)

ITA that a faker is easy to spot. I know a woman who is trying to fake Lupus. She does it very badly, while lying out in the sun with a drink!
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!