Author Topic: Update on my "winter of no" - no more daily rides!  (Read 5635 times)

Stranger

• diligo ergo sum
Update on my "winter of no" - no more daily rides!
« on: August 10, 2011, 10:17:29 PM »
It's been a while since I posted (but I lurk every day  ;D)

The good news is that Carla no longer bangs on my doors and demands rides every day, and she has only come into the house once (I forgot to close the garage door  :-\) It was very, very cold, and raining to boot, and I felt bad when I told her "That won't be possible" when she asked for a ride.

I broke the rules a little bit, though. I told her that I wouldn't give her a ride *because* she came into my property without an invitation, and I had asked her to refrain from that.

My children are elated with their normalised morning routine, and I am very relieved that I don't get to work frazzled and in a bad mood in the mornings.

Carla asked for a ride or two since my last update, and I did give her a ride on those occasions. I am happy to help out if I am asked in advance (not ambushed in my bedroom/ shower) and if it suits my plans - but I'm not telling Carla that!

There were times when I thought I would have to involve the law (* more than just asking for advice) because I felt backed into a corner and really harassed, but consistently saying "no!" and then refusing to actually give her a lift did the trick.

Thank you for all the support, I reread my original thread for ideas more than once. It gave me the determination I needed to keep going.

A positive spinoff is that I am so much more comfortable saying no to *other* things. I am slowly unlearning my doormat behaviours!

*edited to add important detail.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:40:19 PM by Stranger »

buvezdevin

Re: Update on my "winter of no" - no more daily rides!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:31:40 PM »
Congratulations, and thank you for the update.  I had not posted in the original thread, but followed it, and am glad that the situation seems to have been resolved, with your new resolve, and further congratulate you on all developements. :D
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Smitty

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 10:22:26 AM »
I'm glad it worked out for you. I followed that whole thread, and appreciate the update.  :)

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 10:29:18 AM »
I'm glad it worked out for you. I followed that whole thread, and appreciate the update.  :)

Me too!
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

ncgal

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 10:31:24 AM »

Me too!

POD.  So happy that everything is working out and your children are happy in the morning!  Also, no more surprises out of the shower.

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 10:37:47 AM »
Good updates Make me Happy :)

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

evely28

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 03:41:32 PM »

A positive spinoff is that I am so much more comfortable saying no to *other* things. I am slowly unlearning my doormat behaviours!

Fantastic.

rain

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 05:44:20 PM »
As I haven't seen anything else on this it looks like you are a success story...and a "No" role model for others  :)
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 06:02:02 PM »

Stranger, that's great! Thank you for the update!
:) Good updates give me the warm fuzzies :)

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem