Author Topic: Thirty Minutes or Less: Rude?  (Read 10079 times)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Thirty Minutes or Less: Rude?
« on: August 12, 2011, 08:28:38 AM »
The basic plot of the new movie "Thirty Minutes or Less" is that 2 people kidnap a pizza delivery guy, strap a bomb to him, and make him rob a bank for them. This scenario actually happened in 2003, and sadly, the delivery guy was killed.

IMO, it's at the very least pretty insensitive to the family. I mean, this is a rather particular way to die, so it's hard to believe that the idea didn't come from that incident. It will certainly remind his family of what happened.

That being said... is it actually rude?
The status is not quo!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Thirty Minutes or Less: Rude?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 09:25:45 AM »
It has actually been the premise of several tv shows that i've seen.  They were drmams and this is playing it for laughs but it certainly isn't the first time it has been used.  in fact, my guess is that it was a plot on tv before it actually happened in real life.  I don't know that I'd single this one movie out as rude.

DuBois

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 12:41:41 PM »
It has actually been the premise of several tv shows that i've seen.  They were drmams and this is playing it for laughs but it certainly isn't the first time it has been used.  in fact, my guess is that it was a plot on tv before it actually happened in real life.  I don't know that I'd single this one movie out as rude.

I totally agree with this. A similar plot device was used in the Benedict Cumbernacht version of Sherlock Holmes. It is quite a common one, I'm sure. I vote not rude at all. That said, I certainky wouldn't want to see it if I were a family member of the unfortunate delivery man. It's actually a question I've often considered: I love thrillers and murder mysteries, but I think that having a family member killed would ruin that. That does not mean that those genres are somehow rude.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 12:45:33 PM »
Something about the fact that in this movie it was specifically a pizza delivery guy is what gets me. I don't think I would have thought anything of it even if he had been delivering something else. I don't know why, but it really bothers me.
The status is not quo!

DuBois

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 12:46:52 PM »
Something about the fact that in this movie it was specifically a pizza delivery guy is what gets me. I don't think I would have thought anything of it even if he had been delivering something else. I don't know why, but it really bothers me.

Is this film actually based on those events, or just a made up story?

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 12:48:07 PM »
It's not based on that story, but the parallels just feel wrong to me. Of course, I'm well aware that could just be my own weirdness (:P).
The status is not quo!

DuBois

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 12:50:14 PM »
It's not based on that story, but the parallels just feel wrong to me. Of course, I'm well aware that could just be my own weirdness (:P).

No, I know what you mean. I think having it based so closely does seem a little 'off' perhaps, but I don't think I could quite call it rude. I really feel for the family, though :(

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 12:53:26 PM »
I read a synopsis tht indicated it was set in Michigan.  I am sure there are people in Michigan who might call for delivery of other things besdies pizza  but I can't say I've ever witnessed it.  I can think of 5 pizza places nearby that deliver but no other restaurants that offer delivery.  Now, I am not sure the movie is too  worried about realism so that might not be a consideration.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 01:00:02 PM »
I understand that this must be really hard for the Brian Wells' family, but, from what I've read, the movie doesn't share much with his story.  The whole vest bomb idea has been used in several TV shows before and I don't think you could say those were based on Wells' story either.  This movie isn't any more rude than any movie that makes light of violence. 
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

DuBois

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 01:01:45 PM »
I understand that this must be really hard for the Brian Wells' family, but, from what I've read, the movie doesn't share much with his story.  The whole vest bomb idea has been used in several TV shows before and I don't think you could say those were based on Wells' story either.  This movie isn't any more rude than any movie that makes light of violence.

I think the bolded is the key. So many films depict hostage situations, et. al. I do see Wonderflonium's point, but I think on balance it can't be called rude.

Miss March

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 01:13:52 PM »
I don't know if I can call rude, but it does strike me as tasteless. Brian Wells had a bomb strapped around his neck and he was ordered to rob a bank. I saw the footage of him begging police to try and remove the bomb from his neck, that it was real, please believe him, in the minutes before he died. That's not something I can easily forget. So now to see commercials with men running around in monkey masks, and a light-hearted summer comedy being made of a man in a very similar predicament, well, I certainly won't be going to see it.

How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 01:15:50 PM »
It still bothers me (and Miss March), but I'm actually relieved to hear that others don't find it rude. I don't know why, but I am.
The status is not quo!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 01:21:48 PM »
It still bothers me (and Miss March), but I'm actually relieved to hear that others don't find it rude. I don't know why, but I am.

I think it is complicated by the fact that those kids of comedies ingeneral are a bit crass.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 01:22:18 PM »
That is a very good point.
The status is not quo!

DuBois

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 01:24:39 PM »
I don't know if I can call rude, but it does strike me as tasteless. Brian Wells had a bomb strapped around his neck and he was ordered to rob a bank. I saw the footage of him begging police to try and remove the bomb from his neck, that it was real, please believe him, in the minutes before he died. That's not something I can easily forget. So now to see commercials with men running around in monkey masks, and a light-hearted summer comedy being made of a man in a very similar predicament, well, I certainly won't be going to see it.

That is horrendous! Why didn't the police listen :o