Author Topic: Thirty Minutes or Less: Rude?  (Read 9905 times)

Aeris

• Super Hero!
Re: Thirty Minutes or Less: Rude?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 01:29:25 PM »
I don't know if I can call rude, but it does strike me as tasteless. Brian Wells had a bomb strapped around his neck and he was ordered to rob a bank. I saw the footage of him begging police to try and remove the bomb from his neck, that it was real, please believe him, in the minutes before he died. That's not something I can easily forget. So now to see commercials with men running around in monkey masks, and a light-hearted summer comedy being made of a man in a very similar predicament, well, I certainly won't be going to see it.

That is horrendous! Why didn't the police listen :o

My understanding is that they were not sure if he was part of the robbery plot, in addition to not knowing whether the bomb was real. There is apparently still rampant speculation on the subject (of whether he was involved), and we will probably never know the complete truth.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 01:41:25 PM »
I just read up about him because I didn't know all the info. Apparently, they think he was in on the plot but didn't know they were going to use a real bomb. However, others dispute that, and like Aeris said, we will probably never know the whole story.
The status is not quo!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 01:45:21 PM »
A family friend was murdered by bludgeoning.  I found the opening of Snakes on a Plane extremely hard to watch.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 01:45:52 PM »
I don't know if I can call rude, but it does strike me as tasteless. Brian Wells had a bomb strapped around his neck and he was ordered to rob a bank. I saw the footage of him begging police to try and remove the bomb from his neck, that it was real, please believe him, in the minutes before he died. That's not something I can easily forget. So now to see commercials with men running around in monkey masks, and a light-hearted summer comedy being made of a man in a very similar predicament, well, I certainly won't be going to see it.

That is horrendous! Why didn't the police listen :o

My understanding is that they were not sure if he was part of the robbery plot, in addition to not knowing whether the bomb was real. There is apparently still rampant speculation on the subject (of whether he was involved), and we will probably never know the complete truth.

Plus it isn't as though disarming and removing a bomb from around someone's neck can necessarily be accomplished immediately.  It took hours recently for police in Australia to determine that the bomb around a young woman's neck was fake; they couldn't try to take it off without determining how.  Attempting to remove a real bomb without knowing how it's put together could easily kill both the person wearing it and the person attempting to remove it.

I would not want to be a bomb tech for all the money in the world.

Chinchillazilla

• SQUEAK.
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 02:53:13 PM »
I thought the movie premise was tasteless too. But I recently watched a show about and read up on the case, and he was definitely involved in the planning. I feel sympathy for him in that he thought the bomb would be fake and slowly realized he had been set up by his friends, but somehow that knowledge made me feel okay about the movie.
No running with scythes.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 05:20:41 PM »
I don't think it's rude, but I also don't think I'd want to watch it.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

lkb

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 05:30:56 PM »
I'm from Michigan and I think I know of the case this was based on.
That kind of movie is not my cup of tea anyway but I also think it is tasteless and cruel to those left behind.
But then, since when have American audiences and Hollywood filmmakers had class and taste?

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 09:32:07 AM »
That kind of movie is not my cup of tea anyway but I also think it is tasteless and cruel to those left behind.
But then, since when have American audiences and Hollywood filmmakers had class and taste?

I'm from MI, too, but lived in FL when it happened. It was huge news, though, that went way beyond the midwest, similar to the horrible wrong-way crash on the Taconic Parkway (NY) that Diane Schuler caused 2 yrs ago.

amanda_tlg

• Keeper of the Cheerios
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2011, 10:09:34 AM »

I'm from MI, too, but lived in FL when it happened. It was huge news, though, that went way beyond the midwest, similar to the horrible wrong-way crash on the Taconic Parkway (NY) that Diane Schuler caused 2 yrs ago.

OT but have you seen the recent HBO documentary about her? It totally changed the way I thought about her and everything surrounding that crash.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2011, 10:25:42 AM »

OT but have you seen the recent HBO documentary about her? It totally changed the way I thought about her and everything surrounding that crash.

I did see it. Very difficult to watch at times (esp. her body at the crash scene  :-X ). It didn't change my attitude one bit; in fact, I came away from it despising her DH Daniel even more.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 10:39:39 AM »
I think it's insensitive, but when the media can make money, sensitivity is quickly defenestrated.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

DuBois

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 10:50:58 AM »
I think it's insensitive, but when the media can make money, sensitivity is quickly defenestrated.

I love that word.

Shannon

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 07:16:30 PM »
I don't know that it's actually rude to use a real-life tragedy from the premise of a comedy, but I feel like it is insensitive. I felt the same way when The Simpsons did an episode parodying The Perfect Storm. I remember hoping that none of the families or friends of the men who died on the Andrea Gail were watching the show that night--I can't imagine what it must be like to sit down to watch a cartoon and be jolted back to the very worst time of your life because of it.

amylouky

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 01:01:03 PM »
I don't think it's rude. Tasteless maybe, but it happens all the time. Heck, nearly every episode of Law and Order SVU is ripped from real-life headlines, it seems.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 01:04:23 PM »
I don't think it's rude. Tasteless maybe, but it happens all the time. Heck, nearly every episode of Law and Order SVU is ripped from real-life headlines, it seems.

To be fair, Law and Order rarely turns it into comedy.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."