News:

• April 20, 2018, 11:41:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thirty Minutes or Less: Rude?  (Read 22724 times)

MyFamily

Re: Thirty Minutes or Less: Rude?
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 12:47:20 PM »
I don't think it's rude. Tasteless maybe, but it happens all the time. Heck, nearly every episode of Law and Order SVU is ripped from real-life headlines, it seems.

To be fair, Law and Order rarely turns it into comedy.

Comedy or drama the purpose is the same - to entertain the audience. 
"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

LEMon

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 11:06:42 PM »
I don't think it's rude. Tasteless maybe, but it happens all the time. Heck, nearly every episode of Law and Order SVU is ripped from real-life headlines, it seems.

To be fair, Law and Order rarely turns it into comedy.

Comedy or drama the purpose is the same - to entertain the audience.
Yeah, but if it were my family or friends that had been involved in something, I would much prefer it to be presented as a drama than a comedy.  One feels like the audience is invited to feel with me or to understand, while the other feels like an invitation to laugh at me and/or my situation.

Twik

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2011, 01:23:04 PM »
Right. At least L&O usually stresses "violent death is horrible and traumatic," not "HAHAHAHA! Look at the guy sweat, thinking he's going to be blown up!"

I wouldn't want to watch either version if it related to someone I loved, but at least the first would indicate that they took the death of my loved one seriously.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Thyisa

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2011, 02:09:34 AM »
Were it a drama, I would feel it has less chance to be offensive, but a comedy? Err? I think using the idea of the bomb is suspect enough. There are rumors things are too close to the actual events, but its sorta murky in my opinion. (http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/08/30-minutes-or-less-collar-bom/)

DuBois

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2011, 03:13:01 PM »

I would have more sympathy with the family of Brian Wells if he had not been an accomplice to the events, I think.

NutMeg

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2011, 07:23:27 PM »

I would have more sympathy with the family of Brian Wells if he had not been an accomplice to the events, I think.

What does his family have to do with that? They weren't accomplices.
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

grannyclampettjr

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2011, 07:16:15 PM »
Thelma and Louise came out shortly after I was robbed at knifepoint at a bookstore I was working at.  I wasn't exactly happy about people cheering on criminals, no matter how "grrrrrrlpower."

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2011, 07:51:48 PM »
I'll vote with my dollars and feet - I won't see it.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

DuBois

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2011, 05:13:57 AM »

I think that if you are the family of a criminal, you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Larrabee

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2011, 04:03:41 PM »

I think that if you are the family of a criminal, you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Well, you do because everyone does, but it really really sucks to be the innocent family member of a criminal I'm sure.  You aren't responsible for their crimes but the world treats you as somehow complicit.