Author Topic: Thirty Minutes or Less: Rude?  (Read 10045 times)

MyFamily

Re: Thirty Minutes or Less: Rude?
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 01:47:20 PM »
I don't think it's rude. Tasteless maybe, but it happens all the time. Heck, nearly every episode of Law and Order SVU is ripped from real-life headlines, it seems.

To be fair, Law and Order rarely turns it into comedy.

Comedy or drama the purpose is the same - to entertain the audience. 

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

LEMon

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2011, 12:06:42 AM »
I don't think it's rude. Tasteless maybe, but it happens all the time. Heck, nearly every episode of Law and Order SVU is ripped from real-life headlines, it seems.

To be fair, Law and Order rarely turns it into comedy.

Comedy or drama the purpose is the same - to entertain the audience.
Yeah, but if it were my family or friends that had been involved in something, I would much prefer it to be presented as a drama than a comedy.  One feels like the audience is invited to feel with me or to understand, while the other feels like an invitation to laugh at me and/or my situation.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2011, 02:23:04 PM »
Right. At least L&O usually stresses "violent death is horrible and traumatic," not "HAHAHAHA! Look at the guy sweat, thinking he's going to be blown up!"

I wouldn't want to watch either version if it related to someone I loved, but at least the first would indicate that they took the death of my loved one seriously.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Thyisa

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2011, 03:09:34 AM »
Were it a drama, I would feel it has less chance to be offensive, but a comedy? Err? I think using the idea of the bomb is suspect enough. There are rumors things are too close to the actual events, but its sorta murky in my opinion. (http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/08/30-minutes-or-less-collar-bom/)

DuBois

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2011, 04:13:01 PM »

I would have more sympathy with the family of Brian Wells if he had not been an accomplice to the events, I think.

NutMeg

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2011, 08:23:27 PM »

I would have more sympathy with the family of Brian Wells if he had not been an accomplice to the events, I think.

What does his family have to do with that? They weren't accomplices.
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

grannyclampettjr

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2011, 08:16:15 PM »
Thelma and Louise came out shortly after I was robbed at knifepoint at a bookstore I was working at.  I wasn't exactly happy about people cheering on criminals, no matter how "grrrrrrlpower."

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2011, 08:51:48 PM »
I'll vote with my dollars and feet - I won't see it.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

DuBois

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2011, 06:13:57 AM »

I think that if you are the family of a criminal, you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Larrabee

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2011, 05:03:41 PM »

I think that if you are the family of a criminal, you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Well, you do because everyone does, but it really really sucks to be the innocent family member of a criminal I'm sure.  You aren't responsible for their crimes but the world treats you as somehow complicit.