Author Topic: Restaurant Owner Publically Calls Out Adam Sandler for Lack of Payment  (Read 5756 times)

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
I was just reading my daily news website, aka TMZ :), and they posted a story about a BBQ restaurant owner who provided food for the crew of Adam Sandler's new movie, and was never paid.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/08/11/adam-sandler-i-did-not-dine-and-dash-happy-madison-massachusetts-taste-of-italy-bbq-stiffed/

He claims that Sandler's company asked the restaurant owner to cater a meal one day, and he did get paid for that. The TMZ article says, "But the restaurant owner claims the production company asked him to stock up on food for 2 BBQ's the following week.  He claims he did just that, but Adam's company never called, leaving him with bags full of groceries to the tune of $2,500."

The owner posted a large sign in his window, saying, "ADAM SANDLER ATE HERE AND NEVER PAID."

The company denies that they asked him to bring in additional food and said that they owe him nothing.

My question is, let's say that he was stiffed, and the company did not pay him. How do we feel about an owner posting a public shaming sign like that? Would it be better served to just take them to court? Is it fair game?

immadz

Re: Restaurant Owner Publically Calls Out Adam Sandler for Lack of Payment
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 08:28:12 PM »
If he has a legal case, the sign is fine. Its a lot of trouble to go through the legal systems for $2000 and the sign would probably mean that the company pays up to avoid embarrassment. However, you better be sure that you didn't just understand them wrong or something because now they have a case for slander, perhaps?

Erich L-ster

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 08:43:20 PM »
i don't think it's really fair to call out sandler himself if sandler never dealt with the caterers directly (unlikely).

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 08:58:39 PM »
Isnt this like a shunning? Or is the public shaming a step too far in your opinion?
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 09:01:59 PM »
Isnt this like a shunning? Or is the public shaming a step too far in your opinion?

I'm not sure, I guess. I don't necessarily have a problem with it, but I guess it seems sort of classless, too, especially, since, like Erich said, Sandler probably had nothing to do with this situation.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 09:55:35 PM »
Show me the contracts!

Person123

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 11:14:55 PM »
As someone who can't stand Adam Sandler movies, I'd say Sandler got what he deserved.

In an attempt to be less biased, I'll say that Adam Sandler probably had nothing to do with any of this, so it does not seem fair to blame him.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 11:18:22 PM by Person123 »

heronlady

• Pip pip!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 11:27:36 PM »
I don't think it's appropriate or professional to post a sign publicly shaming/outing a company/person for non-payment.  If there is written proof or contracts, take it to court.

If there isn't?  Well then you're kind of out of luck, unfortunately.

It even would've (in my opinion) been more acceptable to go to the press.  But as a customer I don't care if Adam Sandler didn't pay and costed you money.  I feel like a sign like that is tacky and would encourage me to eat elsewhere.

Being out $2,500 stinks but a sign in a restaurant window (unless he put it in the window of his own house, which is fine I guess) is just... silly.

The business owner can do what he wants, though.  I don't necessarily think it's rude but, yeah... unprofessional.

Mopsy428

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 11:41:37 AM »
As someone who can't stand Adam Sandler movies, I'd say Sandler got what he deserved.

In an attempt to be less biased, I'll say that Adam Sandler probably had nothing to do with any of this, so it does not seem fair to blame him.
I've run into Adam Sandler quite a few times, (my mother knows the family) and he is quite gracious, polite, and generous. You'd never know he was famous from just talking to him.

Anyway, it looks like there was miscommunication. Someone from the production company probably mentioned that they were having two barbecues the following week and would like to use them as a caterer. The owner probably jumped the gun, bought all that food, and when no one called, became upset and posted the sign (which makes it sound like Sandler himself ate at the restaurant and then didn't pay the bill).

kschmid5

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 11:52:02 AM »
I say rude, because the sign is not true.  Adam Sandler did not eat at the resturant and not pay his bill, he didn't dine and dash, which is what the sign seems to allege.

I think the BBQ owner knows he doesn't have much to stand on in court.  Someone mentions 2 BBQs in the upcoming week, but doesn't make a deposit or sign a contract? It sounds like the person mentioning the BBQs is perhaps not the person who makes those orders, and the BBQ owner was interested in the business and "overlooked" those details. 

Person123

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 12:30:12 PM »

I've run into Adam Sandler quite a few times, (my mother knows the family) and he is quite gracious, polite, and generous. You'd never know he was famous from just talking to him.

And I'm sure he is a nice guy in person, I just can't stand most of his movies. What bothers me is that there have been many times where I mentioned I don't like his work, and someone has said, "But you're both Jewish!" As if that means anything.

Veronica

• Super Hero!
  • the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »
I'm not a particular fan of Adam Sandler, I don't find him that funny, but he just doesn't seem like the type of person to stiff a restaurant.  It's possible his production company did, but at the very list the sign is untrue.  Adam did not "eat there and never paid."

Florida

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 12:40:07 PM »
i don't think it's really fair to call out sandler himself if sandler never dealt with the caterers directly (unlikely).

Pod.

quote author=kschmid5 link=topic=100163.msg2459377#msg2459377 date=1313250722]
I say rude, because the sign is not true.  Adam Sandler did not eat at the resturant and not pay his bill, he didn't dine and dash, which is what the sign seems to allege.
[/quote]

And double Pod.

Unless they dealt directly with Sandler, the sign is libelous and could get them in some legal trouble.  I also don't think the company was rude in not calling back and the store should not have stocked up on the food until they had a contract or a down payment.  You are free to give your business to whomever gives you the best price and service.

Since the owner reacted so publically, it is possible (though I probably shouldn't speculate) that they were unpleasant to deal with and the company preferred to give their business elsewhere.  Or, the company may have chosen to spread their business around to other small businesses in their area.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »
I think it's rude because it isn't true.   I think if he put up a sign that was true (what he actually said happend) the nature of the "contract" is so vague that he would still be rude.  The phrase "stock -up " just strikes me as off.............If I'm contracting with a caterer I say " I will use you for event A day and B day. for the same number of people, I want to same food but will need more sauce" ,  "stock up" sound more like an exaggerated compliment or perhaps even a complaint "  Man stock up on ribs those were yummy " or "Your food we fine but you ran out of ribs you needed to stock-up.  We could have used you 2 days next week. " 

MyFamily

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 09:57:40 PM »
Also, it is possible that the production company representative did say something about possibly using them for future barbecues, but the food at the first one wasn't very good, so they didn't call him back and didn't firm up anything.  I think this guy is now really running the risk of the people on the set making comments about how awful the food was, and while they say there is no such thing as bad publicity, being called out for serving bad food by Hollywood type people is not good publicity.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol