Author Topic: Authentic Irish Dishes  (Read 2677 times)

ehellion

Authentic Irish Dishes
« on: December 29, 2006, 11:22:14 PM »
DH and I were wondering what some authentic Irish dishes consist of. Any recipes would be greatly appreciated. Now, I really don't want to Google it. Been there, done that. I was wondering if anyone actually lives there or has visited and knows that actual cuisine. Thanks in advance!

ladiedeathe

• Pushing the bounds of ministry, one gasp at a time.
Re: Authentic Irish Dishes
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 12:36:22 AM »
Hey there. DH is from London, so we do both British and Irish cooking at times.

Boxty are crepe like things filled with beef or lamb stew (usually made with Guiness in the stew)- yummy! Bangers are sausages that can be eaten anytime, they are typically pork based but some butchers will make beef. They taste very different from US sausages as they have different spicing and use rusk as a filler. Serve these with fried eggs, baked vegetarian beans, roast tomato slices, toast, black or white pudding and Ore-Ida Roasties and you have the ultimate irish or english breakfast. Black pudding is blood sausage and white pudding is closest to a butchers brautwurst but is seasoned a little differently- you eat both of these in slices. Soda bread is a favorite too
"Here to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Have chalice, will travel."

ehellion

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 03:26:16 PM »
Thanks a bunch!

snoopygirl

• everybody loves an irish girl
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 09:27:17 PM »
I like champ its like mashed potatos with green onions and its really creamy. I got a really neat Irish cookbook that has lots of stuff to make.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 09:29:31 PM »
I don't know if Shepherd's Pie is English or Irish, but I've had it in both types of pubs.  It's quite delicious and perfect in the winter.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 06:33:52 AM »
DH and I were wondering what some authentic Irish dishes consist of. Any recipes would be greatly appreciated. Now, I really don't want to Google it. Been there, done that. I was wondering if anyone actually lives there or has visited and knows that actual cuisine. Thanks in advance!

Irish stew of course, with lamb. Beef in Guiness (stout). I serve both with mashed or boiled potatoes and plain vegetables. Irish salmon. Bread and butter pudding. Put onions in the mash. Colcannon is an alternative.

ImperfctMe

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 03:25:18 PM »
Irish Brown soda bread (i.e., no raisins, whole wheat, less sugar) with really good butter, strawberry jam and hot tea. Just thinking about it makes me want to make some.... ummm....

melodrama

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 04:51:55 PM »
Irish Brown soda bread

Do you have a recipe?  I'd love to try it.

ImperfctMe

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 12:49:46 PM »
IRISH BROWN SODA BREAD

1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour plus additional for sprinkling
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
1 1/3 cups buttermilk or plain yogurt

Preheat oven to 425o F and sprinkle a baking sheet lightly with flour. In a large bowl whisk together flours, oats, wheat germ, baking soda and salt. Add butter and toss to coat with flour. With fingertips rub in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal (NB: you can use the Cuisinart instead as long as the bowl can hold all that flour). Add buttermilk or yogurt and stir until dough is moistened evenly.

On a floured surface knead dough 1 minute, sprinkling lightly with additional flour to prevent sticking (dough should remain soft). Shape dough into a ball.

On prepared baking sheet pat dough out into a 7" round. Sprinkle dough with additional flour and with fingertips spread lightly over round. With a sharp knife cut a shallow X in top of round.

Bake bread in middle of oven 30 mins. Cool bread on a rack 2hrs before slicing.

From Gourmet, March 1994

melodrama

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 02:42:30 PM »
Yum! 

Thanks, ImperfctMe!

ImperfctMe

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 04:43:32 PM »
pas de problem! it's actually soooper easy to make and totally worth it. Strawberry jam never tasted so good before, trust me...

Rose2Bear

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 02:27:59 AM »
There's this terrific Irish resteraunt I like to go to that has the weirdest dish: Irish eggrolls.  Its the typical chinese eggroll wrap but its filled with shredded cabbage and corned beef and cheese.

Not very authentic I suppose but its DEEEEEELICIOUS.

Just thought I'd share  ;)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 08:22:56 AM »
Sounds more like a burrito than an eggroll, but whatever floats your boat.

Rose2Bear

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 02:21:18 PM »
Sounds more like a burrito than an eggroll, but whatever floats your boat.

lol well they are tiny like egg roll sized and it is made with that wonton wrapper thing. sooo good!

amiboo

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 02:04:18 AM »
After hearing about pies and how good they are I found the following recipe.  I confess that I have changed it a little bit - it didn't call for the potatoes or mushrooms so I added them.  After the first time I made it I felt that it needed some vegis and I understand potatoes and mushrooms are not uncommon.  Originally it said to cut up steak but using stew meat is easier, it also had a recipe for pastry - that ain't gonna happen, I buy frozen.  This is really good.

Beef & Guiness Pie
1 lb beef stew meat, tenderized
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour         
1 teaspoon salt               
1/2 teaspoon black pepper            
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

3 med russet potatoes, lrg chunks   1 6oz can tomato paste
8 oz sm button mushrooms, halved   1 cup beef broth
1 large onion, coarsely chopped   1 cup Guinness or other Irish stout
2 garlic cloves, chopped      3 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp thyme

1 box of frozen puff pastry
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Special equipment: 4 (14-oz) deep bowls or ramekins (4 to 5 inches wide) or similar-capacity ovenproof dishes

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350F.
1 - Put flour, salt, and pepper in a lrg plastic bag. Add beef, turning to coat. Heat oil in a wide 5- to 6-quart ovenproof heavy pot over moderately high heat until just smoking, then dump everything from the bag in and brown the meat, turning occasionally, about 5 minutes, transfer to a bowl.

2 - Add onion and garlic to pot and cook, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pot and stirring frequently, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in beef with any juices accumulated in bowl, potatoes, mushrooms, broth, beer, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme and bring to a simmer, then cover and transfer to oven. Braise until beef is very tender and sauce is thickened, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.  Remove the pastry dough from the freezer to thaw. 

3 - Remove from oven and stir well.  (At this point the dish can be refrigerated up to 2 days, bring it to room temp and continue.)  Leave it sitting out to cool, uncovered, about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to release heat.  (If stew is warm while assembling pies, it will melt uncooked pastry top.)  Put a shallow baking pan on middle rack of oven and increase oven temperature to 425F

4 - Divide cooled stew among bowls (they won't be completely full).  Spread out each pastry dough section and cut in half.  It should be about 1/8 inch thick.  Lightly beat the egg and brush a 1-inch border of egg wash around each square. Invert 1 square of pastry over each bowl and drape, pressing sides lightly to help adhere. Brush pastry tops with egg wash also.  Bake pies in preheated shallow baking pan until pastry is puffed and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Reduce oven temperature to 400F and bake 5 minutes more to fully cook dough.