News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 27, 2016, 01:17:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LA to Miami - Road Trip Baby!  (Read 3836 times)

rosiegirl

Re: LA to Miami - Road Trip Baby!
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2015, 09:38:38 PM »
I forgot to mention another Tucson treat for your hubby. The Pima Air and Space Museum. Within miles of the Titan.

MinAvi

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2015, 12:03:35 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys! It really is a massive trip for us, and every little tip helps :)

I will definitely look into flying straight into Tucson - the flights I looked at as an indication were a fair bit more expensive, but I might be able to snag a sale. Like I said - I don't mind the drive at all, but happy to save the time too.

Mikayla, thanks so much for the heads up about fuel prices, I didn't really think if that. I can't believe how cheap fuel seems to us. We pay $1.45 per liter (so roughly $5.80 per gallon). $2.80ish a gallon is a-ok with me!

Thanks for the great reviews of Cripple Creek too - Colorado is one of my all time dream locations to visit. Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods are must-do's for us. I am still kinda hoping we will see snow - even if only up in Independence Pass. Hubby has never seen snow at all, and the last time I did I was 7.

Mikayla

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2015, 02:26:40 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys! It really is a massive trip for us, and every little tip helps :)

I will definitely look into flying straight into Tucson - the flights I looked at as an indication were a fair bit more expensive, but I might be able to snag a sale. Like I said - I don't mind the drive at all, but happy to save the time too.

Mikayla, thanks so much for the heads up about fuel prices, I didn't really think if that. I can't believe how cheap fuel seems to us. We pay $1.45 per liter (so roughly $5.80 per gallon). $2.80ish a gallon is a-ok with me!

Thanks for the great reviews of Cripple Creek too - Colorado is one of my all time dream locations to visit. Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods are must-do's for us. I am still kinda hoping we will see snow - even if only up in Independence Pass. Hubby has never seen snow at all, and the last time I did I was 7.

On the gas, it's pretty low right now, at least here in Colorado.  But that can change quickly. 

With snow, I'd be shocked if you didn't see any in Independence Pass.  Even here in Denver metro, we generally have at least a dusting by Halloween.   But up in Independence Pass, it's pretty much a guarantee.  If fact, the highway going through it usually closes in November for the winter because of snowfall. 

MinAvi

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2015, 06:08:12 PM »

On the gas, it's pretty low right now, at least here in Colorado.  But that can change quickly. 

With snow, I'd be shocked if you didn't see any in Independence Pass.  Even here in Denver metro, we generally have at least a dusting by Halloween.   But up in Independence Pass, it's pretty much a guarantee.  If fact, the highway going through it usually closes in November for the winter because of snowfall.

I have added Denver, Cripple Creek and Colorado Springs to my weather app on my iPhone.

No, I am not obsessively checking it - why do you ask :P

This time next year I will be exploring New Orleans - I really don't know how I am going to contain my excitement until then! I am more excited about this holiday that I was about my wedding!

rigs32

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2015, 07:15:13 PM »
Fall 2016 will be heading right into the height of the presidential election.  You'll want to check and make sure there aren't any political rallies when you want to be as security can really make things difficult.  Or perhaps you'll want to check out an event like that.  Just something to think about.

MinAvi

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2015, 05:28:51 PM »
Fall 2016 will be heading right into the height of the presidential election.  You'll want to check and make sure there aren't any political rallies when you want to be as security can really make things difficult.  Or perhaps you'll want to check out an event like that.  Just something to think about.

That didn't even cross my mind to be honest - thank you!

We have elections just before yours, but the Australian elections are not nearly as large or as complicated. I am already dreading LA and Houston traffic, and will definitely keep an eye on the news. Being that we are pretty flexible we should be able to avoid most of the drama - although it would be something to see!

MinAvi

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2015, 10:37:11 PM »
**UPDATE**

So I got to book our flights today - Yipeeee! The airline was having a sale so I saved about $400 per person :D

The 15 hour flight each way wont be a barrel of fun, and both hubby and I are on strict diets come new year to make the flight as comfortable as possible (we are both a tad wide for the seats)

Our itinerary has changed a bit. In order to save on the one way car hire, and allow DH to see the Titan Missile Museum just out of Tucson we will now be going; LA - Sequioa NP - Vegas - Grand Canyon - Moab - Twin Lakes (CO) - Cripple Creek - Colorado Springs - Amarillo - Dallas/Fort Worth - Shreveport - New Orleans - Houston - San Antonio - Fort Stockton (?) - El Paso (?) - Tucson - LA.

Basically we will hit New Orleans and turn around. Our next trip in a couple of years will be the Florida Keys all the way up to Niagra Falls (But one thing at a time!) Still not convinced on Fort Stockton and El Paso - I don't think I will book anything, we might just stop in one of the small towns around that area instead (the bonus of having a camper van :))

This will still let us see heaps that we want to, and all going to plan I will also be able to go to the Texas Ren Faire - which looks amazing and of course we will still have Comikazi as the grand finale to the trip.

Bring on September - I can hardly wait!!

NFPwife

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2015, 10:39:56 AM »
You are going to have a great trip!!

I noticed you're headed to New Orleans, I'm not sure what you're doing for lodging there, I, personally, would not stay on Bourbon St. I was there in October and we stayed right on Bourbon. Never again. I'm a very deep sleeper, so once I got to sleep I was okay, my co-workers weren't so lucky. Bourbon St, even in the middle of the afternoon, smells atrocious. I couldn't open my balcony doors.  :P Bourbon St. is worth seeing, I just wouldn't stay there.

There are some awesome galleries and shops just a block or two off Bourbon. One quick tip I got from a local, cars park on one side of the street, avoid walking on that side, people jump out from between cars and mug you. Natives will walk on the non-car side, tourists are on the car side.

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2015, 03:28:32 PM »
That camper van sounds like a really nice idea.  DH and I decided that summer of 2017 DD will be old enough for her first road trip from DFW to Florida.  We were thinking of renting a largish car, like an SUV.  But, those camper vans look really nice. 

MinAvi

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2015, 05:39:10 PM »
Thanks NFPwife - I appreciate the heads up.

We are actually staying in an AirBnb in the Garden district, right on Magazine, so we can get the tram in and out of the French Quarter. I have heard that is can be very loud and smelly, so we will visit but not stay. I am actually not a real party person, but looking forward to NOLA just for the history and culture - can't wait!

Sophia, there are a lot of reviews from families on Yelp for Escape - all positive. I think having a fridge and a sink where ever you go would be fantastic with kids. They are about $70 per day to hire - but I don't know if they have a depot in DFW. I am sure you will find something similar though :)

MinAvi

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2016, 11:20:55 PM »
So we are less than 2 months until our massive trip!

The Air BnB's, hotels, car, van and flights are booked. The visa waivers processed. The packing list started and the road trip playlist is being compiled. So excited!

We are managing to hit a few of the amazing National Parks - Sequoia, Grand Canyon, Arches, Mesa Verde and Rocky Mountain. We have a few days in the big party towns Vegas and New Orleans, as well as a few weeks of wandering in the non touristy parts of Colorado and Texas. We will then attend Comikaze and Halloween Horror nights in LA.

7 weeks. 5500 miles. 1 couple. Epic.

59 days and counting!

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #56 on: Yesterday at 07:43:39 AM »
Wow, I'm so excited for you!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

demarco

« Reply #57 on: Yesterday at 03:51:53 PM »
Sounds great!  I hope you'll fill us in on all the highlights when you get home again.