Author Topic: Souvenior recommendations in France?  (Read 447 times)

MissRose

Souvenior recommendations in France?
« on: November 03, 2014, 02:39:28 PM »
I am going on a pilgrimage next fall to France (Paris, Lyon and Normandy).  Beyond the religious items I plan to get and perhaps postcards, any recommendations for items to get and will not have a problem either placing in checked bag or carry on that are not expensive?  I am not much of a drinker so I will not bring back wine as I do not trust baggage handlers but may sample some wine while there.

AvidReader

Re: Souvenior recommendations in France?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 03:05:16 PM »
I'm not big on souvenir buying.  Seems inconsequential, but among my favorites from France are the inexpensive, re-fillable French band of liquid hand soap dispensers I bought in a supermarket.  My sister really enjoys luxuriating in a bath, so I get her bars of French soap also from a supermarket.

Library Dragon

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 01:21:33 AM »
Chocolate is a good option.  I like the individual sticks that Valhrona sells. 
www.valrhona-chocolate.com/shop/Grand-Cru-Sticks.php

I will be in Bordeaux later this month and share what little gifts I find.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 04:29:25 AM »
who are these souvenirs for? for friends/office mates i would go with something edible (please check your local customs as to what you can and cannot bring in) - chocolate, macarons, madelines, etc. for something tangible, there are always the usual key chains/magnets or for something a bit more upscale maybe a scarf/wrap or handbag/purse?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

MissRose

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 08:33:28 AM »
who are these souvenirs for? for friends/office mates i would go with something edible (please check your local customs as to what you can and cannot bring in) - chocolate, macarons, madelines, etc. for something tangible, there are always the usual key chains/magnets or for something a bit more upscale maybe a scarf/wrap or handbag/purse?

Some are for me to keep.  Some I plan to give to various family members (my sister, my niece, my nephew, my parents, and a few other family members).  I hope to bring back plenty of things, get good deals, and yet not weigh down my luggage.

AvidReader

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 09:12:08 AM »
This has been covered in other threads.  Be on the lookout for folks for whom you will be buying souvenirs who will hand you a shopping list.  When we lived in Germany, my sister came to visit for a few weeks.  We went to Strasburg, Austria and spent the better part of an afternoon on a treasure hunt, looking for a souvenir shot glass that one of her co-workers just "had" to have.  25 years later we all remember the story, but DS can't even recall the co-worker's name.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 09:21:48 AM »
When I spent a week in Paris, mostly I bought prints from museums. Brought them home and framed them and had really nice art work for my walls. And if you buy the smaller sized prints, they don't take up much room and are very light-weight.

A friend of mine buys a new mug every time she travels. Not a souvenir mug, although you could do that, but she finds a home goods store and buys a pretty mug she likes. Then she remembers her trip every time she uses the mug.

For gifts for others, food is usually a good choice. Or if you know they like to wear scarves, say, a pretty scarf.

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 09:27:08 AM »

Some are for me to keep.  Some I plan to give to various family members (my sister, my niece, my nephew, my parents, and a few other family members).  I hope to bring back plenty of things, get good deals, and yet not weigh down my luggage.
my brother loves star$$'s mugs /travel mugs from wherever - he gets a kick out of a coffee mug that says "london" or "brussels". so that's a pretty inexpensive cool gift for your coffee lovers (i know it's not typically French)

for others, my only advice is if you see something you like - buy it. Don't wait to find it cheaper/better elsewhere because sometimes you just won't see it again.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 09:45:52 AM »
A friend of mine spent the better part of a year in France.  She wanted to bring me back something souveniry but useful so she brought me back a spoon rest for the top of the stove that has a Paris scene, including the Eiffel Tower, on it.  It's cute, kitschy and practical.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Library Dragon

« Reply #9 on: Today at 12:48:05 AM »
Well, I actually didn't buy much this trip. I went into a Carrefour supermarket and bought Menier chocolate bars as souvenirs.  The Menier family owns the Château de Chenonceau where Catherine de Medici resided.  Tasty souvenirs at a fraction of gift store prices.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

katycoo

« Reply #10 on: Today at 05:36:09 AM »
I collect shot glasses but I'm moving away from them as I get older.  I prefer christmas decorations now.  I get to reminiss as I decorate my tree each year.

Zizi-K

« Reply #11 on: Today at 09:58:58 AM »
When I was last in France, I didn't have much time to shop. I was there for work, and just had a couple of days' worth of free time. So, I ended up bringing back some small boxes of macarons, which are delicious and delicate cookies that are made in a huge variety of flavors and colors. They are a beautiful and tasty gift. Best of all, there are even kiosks at the airport that sell them (though it may be cheaper at a bakery). These could not be placed into your checked luggage, though, you'd have to carry them on. I also bought a few gifts at the gift shop of one of the museums I went to. I love good design and interesting jewelry, and museum gift shops usually have a great selection of interesting things you don't see otherwise.

Betelnut

« Reply #12 on: Today at 12:51:51 PM »
For co-workers, chocolate.

T-shirts for kids and family.

For myself, usually one refrigerator magnet, at least, and an interesting Christmas ornament like the Tower of London guard ornament I have from London.  One of my favorite souveniors from my London trip is a really prettty and different set of earrings I got at the Britsh Musuem gift shop. They don't scream England (they not not "themed" in any way) but every time I wear them I remember my trip.
Native Texan, Marylander currently