News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 19, 2017, 06:55:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hyderabad, India in November!  (Read 373 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Hyderabad, India in November!
« on: August 20, 2017, 05:24:44 PM »
A friend has just gotten engaged. He is getting married in Hyderabad in November and has invited me and my husband to attend. We've decided to go and are very excited!

We are in the US and have never traveled to anywhere quite so exotic before. My friend will be busy with the wedding festivities and he tells me that most of his family does not speak English. I wonder if anyone here has traveled to India, and Hyderabad in particular? Of course, I will research the heck out of it before we go, but it would be great to hear from anyone that has been there.

I also want to learn as much as I can about Indian wedding traditions so that I can be sure not to accidentally do something to offend my hosts.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

lorelai

Re: Hyderabad, India in November!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 10:49:31 PM »
What type of (religious) wedding is it? Hindu, Muslim, Christian, something else?

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 07:34:33 AM »
Hindu

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 07:46:37 PM »
I personally have not, but my mother has traveled to India and had some problems with her allergies(she has terrible hay fever), so if that is something you or your husband have issues with, make sure to pack your meds and some spare, if you can.

Other than that, she had a lovely time. She's going back in October.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 08:19:47 PM »
I've never been, but I do have friends that are from India and are Hindu. Some things about Hindu weddings:

Compared to western weddings, they are HUGE. My friend had over 800 people at her wedding.

Also, Hindu weddings last three days. You will probably not be invited for the first day, it is reserved for close family.

Do not bring a gift to the wedding. Send any gifts to the couple's home. From my understanding, cash is usually prefered.

Bold! Demure is not a thing to be concerned about. You should wear bright and beautiful jewel tone colors. Do not wear white, black, or red to a Hindu wedding.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

lorelai

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 01:41:46 PM »
I would avoid white clothing. Black is sometimes frowned upon so don't go with that either. Red is totally welcome!! Definitely do red if you like it! Go bold with your jewelry, there is plenty of costume jewelry for sale in Indian shopping markets. Since it's a Hindu wedding go big and bold with your bindhi as well.

If you have some time to go shopping in the country prior to the wedding, go for that. Sometimes to be fitted for saris you need some time to get blouses stitched to your measurements. But there are other types of ready to wear garments you can wear if you have less time to shop.

If your friend's family speaks Telugu then learn a few phrases to converse with his family. They will be super impressed if you know even just two phrases, the equivalent of How are you? and I'm well.

I agree about the gifts particularly if the couple lives here. Bring a card, and send the gift to their home or if you were planning on gifting cash, make sure that the cash is secured. Honestly I've heard of so many thefts at weddings in India that I wouldn't necessarily trust gifting cash unless a trusted family member is guarding the cards.

Hindu weddings can last any number of days depending on the traditions of the families so ask your friend for guidance on the number of days, number of outfits to prepare, and what you will be invited to. Some folks are very much the more is merrier when it comes to any of the events. Sometimes only women are invited to the bride's mehndi, if they are doing that, sometimes it is co-ed.

When you're touring and traveling around, bring tunics and light cotton outfits. Cover your cleavage. Short shorts are frowned upon because you'll get stared at (and it'll make you uncomfortable to be so stared at). Consider buying a few outfits to wear locally.

Don't travel about alone if it's at all possible. If you're hiring a car for the day to take you around, ask for an English speaking driver. Carry lots of cash to pay for things where cards aren't accepted. If you're shopping in the stalls feel free to bargain. I am used to bargaining even in the brick and mortar stores.

Have fun!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 02:30:25 PM »
lorelai, the bride will be wearing red. One shouldn't wear red to a Hindu wedding. It would be like a guest wearing white here to a wedding. Any other bright happy color is fine.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

lorelai

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 02:37:43 PM »
Dazi, the bride may or may not be wearing red. And I've never met a Hindu bride who would be offended at a guest wearing red. Since I'm Hindu, I'm familiar with these things. Any bright happy color will be fine. And if the OP is in doubt, I encourage them to ask their friend the groom for guidance.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 02:57:33 PM »
Expect the actual ceremony to take a long time!  My cousin married a girl who is Hindu.  They let us know that the Hindu ceremony was vastly shortened and it still took well over an hour for just the actual ceremony part.  My cousin's mother was given a sari to wear for the ceremony; the bride wore red but so did her new MIL!  I have to say, it was pretty fascinating for this, at the time, 16 year old.   :)
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario