News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 27, 2016, 12:48:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Point of Sale cash back in Canada  (Read 403 times)

BigBadBetty

Point of Sale cash back in Canada
« on: June 14, 2016, 09:58:47 AM »
I am going to be in Canada for 2 days. We will be taking the scenic drive from Duluth, MN to Thunder Bay, ON. Can I get cash back when I buy something at the grocery store? If so, do they have a limit of how much I can get? I won't need much cash as we won't be there very long. I do this in the US to avoid ATM fees.

Anything else I should know about going to Canada? Anything I can't miss in the Thunder Bay area? We will be riding a motorcycle. We have our passports and no drunk driving tickets.

Zizi-K

Re: Point of Sale cash back in Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 10:19:35 AM »
I don't know if you can get cash back, but I'd bet that you can get some Canadian currency from your own bank with enough lead time.

Tigger

• Always having fun
  • Life is hard. After all, it kills you - K Hepburn
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 10:47:04 AM »
Each store is different and has different amounts and not all stores offer the cash back option.  I would check first.

We are also pretty strict on fire arms and weapons (pepper spray etc).

Thunder Bay is more North than me as such it's colder at this time of the year. Make sure you have some warmer clothes at night (not winter stuff though).  :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 10:50:51 AM by Tigger »

Ontario

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 01:18:21 PM »
There is a Walmart and a Metro grocery store in Thunder Bay. I know both of those offer cash back. Amounts are generally limited to $100 so if you need more, you might have to make more than one stop. Some banks will also limit how much you can take out per day (but you probably know your limit if you are used to doing this at home :) ).

Have fun!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

miredrose326

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 01:37:52 PM »
Just a little piece of advice, you should let your bank know that you are leaving the country. I have had my bank put a hold on my card when I traveled because it's suspicious when charges start showing up in other countries. Some banks you have to call, some you can do it on their mobile banking site.
My beautiful babies 

Really?

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 02:09:13 PM »
Hi

Safe and warm riding. As for the cashback there are many stores that will offer this on debit cards, but not credit cards, when you purchase something from them. If your card is Visa or MasterCard debit then it should work also. They are allowed to set the limits and also charge you if there is a minimum purchase.

From experience some of the convenience stores will offer but charge you a fee, and other stores like Metro (grocery store) or Walmart will just be part of the transaction. Some larger hardware stores also offer cash back.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 04:51:37 PM »
Thank you, everyone! It sounds similar to how it is in the U.S. Some places allow it; some don't. My credit union can order cash, but they charge a flat fee which would be a lot for such a small amount of cash. I did plan my travel plans with them. (I have forgotten before and have gotten fraud alerts.) We don't travel with weapons. We do wear protective gear on the bike which should keep us warm. We have heated seats on the bike, too.

The reason I mention the DUI is that I read you cannot get into Canada if you have a DUI (without filing a bunch a paperwork first). My boyfriend's riding buddy had a DUI so they have ridden close to the border but have never crossed. I just thought I would mention it in case anyone is planning a trip.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 10:54:59 PM »
My dad's family is from Thunder Bay.  Check out Merla Mae's ice cream and the Persian Man bakery :)
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 08:58:29 AM »
You should be able to get cashback at most major retailers - grocery stores, department stores, home renovation stores.  Smaller, independent places?  Probably not.  But even most of the small places take at least debit, if they don't take credit cards.

Have fun and ride safe!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

BigBadBetty

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 08:48:57 AM »
I had Persian Man on my radar. Originally I got all excited because I thought it was a Persian (Iranian) restaurant. We had one in my town, but the owner retired. After reading about what the Persian Man actually was, I wasn't that disappointed because I love sweetrolls, too. I haven't heard of Merla Mae's so I will have to put that on my list. I also want to check out the Finnish pancakes at Hoito.