News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 24, 2015, 05:34:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LA to Miami - Road Trip Baby!  (Read 130 times)

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
LA to Miami - Road Trip Baby!
« on: May 20, 2015, 07:44:11 PM »
So Hubby and I have decided that next October we be doing our Bucket List USA trip.

So far our itinerary looks like:

LA - Las Vegas - Colorado Springs - Houston - New Orleans - Pensecola - Orlando - Miami

Lots of stops and visits and little side trips too of course. Part of it will be on Route 66

6 weeks, a camper-van and about 4000miles - I am so excited! We both adore road trips, and driving to get lost somewhere new, so it will be a real adventure. It is the first trip to the USA for either of us, so any helpful tips, tricks or amazing things that we just can't miss would be great. Lots more research to do, but I am hoping to pick 3-4 things in each place that are a Must Do, and then just explore.

We already have the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, the Aerospace museum in Houston, Cape Canaveral (DH is a space and science nerd), The French Quarter, Bourbon Street.... still quite a list yet to go...

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: LA to Miami - Road Trip Baby!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 08:50:50 PM »
Pensacola http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/ is a must, home of the Blue Angels, and I'm not even interested in airplanes. Take the bus tour. One half day, probably. I assume that Colorado Springs includes the Air Force Academy. Another 3 hours well spent.

Are you staying in state parks (except for laundry night, of course)? The state park close by Pensacola is very nice.

What part of 66 are you going on, and will it be on the way east or west? We just followed it and had a great time - just like you: lots of side trips. Branson MO was on out 66 trip, but that may be a little north for you. One day will let you see two shows, and the Corps of Engineers park there is wonderful!

I am envious. We took three weeks a few years ago and was one of the best trips of our life. October will be a great time for traveling that far south!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:22:58 PM »
Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge is close to Kennedy Space center, and worth a drive through to see the real Florida. Dixie Crossroads Seafood restaurant in Titusville has wonderful fresh seafood.
Orlando has the newly opened Orlando Eye, SeaLife Aquarium, and Madame Tussaud's as well as all the theme parks. Contact me via PM for more restaurant or campground information, I'm a local.

Route 66 - I am from Amarillo, Texas on Route 66. There are some great restaurants there and Palo Duro Canyon, the second largest canyon in North America, is just south east from Amarillo and beautiful.

Seraphim

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:40:59 PM »
Awesome.

Luci, I think the main section of Route 66 we will be aiming for is in Arizona and New Mexico, but we shall see. The state parks will be the usual plan, with a motel/hotel thrown in every few days (or in crap weather). We live in the tropics of Australia, so the south that time of year will be nearly on the cool side for us, but hopefully perfect for camping.

ladyknight1 - I will be picking your brain, don't you worry. Heck, we might even be able to do a meet-up :) Amarillo will be right on the way back down from Colorado so will add that to the list :)

The one thing I am worried about is the size of our van, and if we will have trouble parking etc. It isn't an RV, but a Ford E150. I hear that the US has much more accommodation for big trucks though? The fact we will also be driving on the 'wrong' side will be entertaining too.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 10:53:49 PM »
Just saying with our experiences:

The GPS doesn't work well around that area of Colorado. We got a gentle, sympathetic smile from a welcome center hostess when we came in frazziled and frustrated. Paper maps are your best friends!

Southern Missouri, too, had the same problem.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 08:06:19 AM »
Most rest areas have semi truck parking and that is where oversized vehicles park. You shouldn't have much trouble getting around in it. I'm glad it isn't larger.

Try to get outside at night in New Mexico, the skies are gorgeous and you can see meteor showers.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 08:21:30 AM »
Our camper has the footprint of a pickup, 20 ft. long and standard width. We park it in regular parking spaces. The only thing we need to remember is overhead clearance.

Seraphim

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 06:22:56 PM »
That's great about the rest area parking - At least that bit shouldn't be too much trouble. The van is 18ft long so slightly smaller than yours, Luci - so if you guys go alright we should be fine.

I am so excited - I don't know how I am going to last until next October!