Author Topic: Weather in London in mid-September?  (Read 510 times)

finecabernet

Weather in London in mid-September?
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:34:48 PM »
I'm going to London and Scotland in mid-September and was wondering how I should pack. Light or medium rain jacket? Long sleeved t-shirts?

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
Re: Weather in London in mid-September?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 03:35:44 AM »
It will be pretty unpredictable but probably not too cold. I'd say better to go with  a light raincoat and sweater to keep your options open. The underground can get incredibly hot, so layers are the way to go when getting around. Comfy shoes are a must.

What to wear in Scotland will depend on what you want to do- pottering round Edinburgh then you will need similar clothes to London, going walking in the hills will mean extra layers and good boots.
NE England

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 06:20:57 AM »
Edinburgh might be pretty cold. It's windy. Mind you I'm a wimpy Aussie, if you're from the mid West you'll think it's balmy.

Victoria

veryfluffy

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 06:42:40 AM »
Yes, there will be weather in London.

Unfortunately, it can be just about any kind.

Daytime temperatures tend to range anywhere from about 12C to 18C, with possibly 10C to as high as 22C. There will likely be some rain, sometimes. Or not. Or a lot.

That probably doesn't sound very helpful, but basically I suggest bring things you can layer.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 09:54:58 AM »
I would go for layers option. Please do take some nice warm jumpers/fleeces/tops, you will also need a decent coat/jacket.  I feel the cold a LOT and rely on these when it starts getting remotely cool.

Enjoy our country!!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 02:36:34 PM »
I'm in Edinburgh right now, and the weather has been varied.  The past four days have been overcast but warm, today it finally rained and it is a little cool.  I've mostly been getting away with short sleeved shirts and a light cotton hoody for early morning, late evening.  (Maybe relevant that we got a foot of snow at home in Australia the day we flew out...  I am well acclimatised to cold weather!)

I was in London last week, it was still fairly warm during the day.

Layering options sound reasonable.  Most public buildings seem fairly warm, and whoever said the Tube gets hot was right! It's a steam bath.  Make sure you have at least a light rain coat or compact umbrella. 

veryfluffy

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 06:59:39 AM »
Update: England has been having absolutely glorious early autumn weather this past week. About 20C and sunny.

The forecast for the next few days is stying relatively mild and dry, but more cloud. From the middle of next week there may be some rain.

finecabernet

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 12:19:20 PM »
Thanks for the update! Will I need a heavy jacket do you think, or is a medium raincoat enough.

veryfluffy

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 02:20:34 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743

Looks to be pretty warm (20 - 24C) and not much rain for the next week or so.

What we think of as t-shirt weather, but that will depend on how warm you are used to.

finecabernet

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 08:27:35 PM »

What we think of as t-shirt weather, but that will depend on how warm you are used to.

That's not that far from our weather here (in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), and I'm guessing that London doesn't experience humidity? Then I'll be just fine. Thanks for the help!

daen

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 10:54:25 PM »

That's not that far from our weather here (in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), and I'm guessing that London doesn't experience humidity? Then I'll be just fine. Thanks for the help!

I believe London does experience humidity. I checked just now, and at 3 am, it's showing 93% humidity. https://weatherspark.com/averages/28729/London-England-United-Kingdom says that the humidity is something like an average low 48% in July to an average high of 93% in November.

Fi

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 06:39:09 AM »

I'm going into work(in London) in a light jacket these days, with a cardigan in my bag and wearing jeans and t-shirts. Do pack something to layer if you're going to be out all day - it's getting quite nippy in the evenings now. But the weather looks like it'll hold for the next few days.

finecabernet

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 05:10:39 PM »
Thanks for everyone's help. The weather in London and Edinburgh was just beautiful (we barely even had any rain) and my clothes were all perfect. Sorry to be coming home tomorrow.