News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 28, 2015, 09:44:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Copenhagen in Mid-September.  (Read 191 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Copenhagen in Mid-September.
« on: August 09, 2015, 10:55:49 AM »
We'll be visiting at that time of year for a few days before boarding ship.

We've done a bit of research on weather and prices.  We've decided that we definitely want to visit Tivoli Gardens one evening.  If the weather permits, we'd also like to take a city canal cruise.

However, the good folks at E-Hell always seem to have good suggestions for interesting things to do and see that aren't immediately obvious in guide books. 

Any and all hints will be gratefully received.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Copenhagen in Mid-September.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 09:51:02 AM »
We'll be visiting at that time of year for a few days before boarding ship.

We've done a bit of research on weather and prices.  We've decided that we definitely want to visit Tivoli Gardens one evening.  If the weather permits, we'd also like to take a city canal cruise.

However, the good folks at E-Hell always seem to have good suggestions for interesting things to do and see that aren't immediately obvious in guide books. 

Any and all hints will be gratefully received.

No suggestions but please post when you get back! that's on my bucket list of places to visit!  Are you doing a Scandinavian cruise?

MariaE

• Super Hero!
  • So many books, so little time
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 10:07:22 AM »
Dane here - I live in Copenhagen :)

Not sure when "mid-September" is, but just as a heads up - Tivoli Gardens closes on Sep 20th. If you're here before then it's WELL worth the visit though. Rumour is it inspired Disneyland :)

Don't bother with the Little Mermaid - it's tiny! If you do the canal tour (recommended btw) you'll get to see her from the back anyway.

The Round Tower is worth a visit - awesome view from the top.

If you're into museums at all, I highly recommend Torvaldsen's Museum - gorgeous sculptures! Of course, you can see the best ones for free if you visit the Church of Our Lady.

The best bar around is Bar7 on Studiestrĉde 7 - a stonethrow from both the City square (which also has a statue of H.C. Andersen) and the aforementioned church :)

If you're interested in alternative communes, give Christiania a visit. No photos allowed though! And stay away from Pusher street (yes, that is exactly what you think it is. No hard drugs though).

Try a real Danish pastry - called wienerbroed or bread from Vienna here - and you'll never go back!

For an awesome meal, try out Copenhagen Street Food on Papirĝen (Paper Island) - sooooooo good!

If you have any questions at all feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm more than happy to help!

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 08:09:37 AM »
When I was there before a cruise we only had one day, so we didn't see a lot, but we went to Rosenborg Castle and really really enjoyed it.  (We were also there in mid-September...are you doing a transatlantic?)

If you like to knit, I know of a great yarn shop.  You can even order beforehand for pickup.   ;D  That was pretty much what else we did.  We also nearly missed the ship because of a bike race and half the streets being closed, so you may want to check and allow extra time.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 10:03:44 AM »
Yes, we are taking a Transatlantic.  After leaving Copenhagen we'll be going to Bergen, Norway and over the top of the UK.  We'll stop at Glasgow, Belfast and Cobh.  Then, it's on to Iceland before crossing to St. John's Newfoundland and Halifax, Nova Scotia.  By the time we hit Canada, the autumn foliage should be in good shape. The ship will eventually dock in NYC which means an easy taxi ride home. 

We've been to most of these places before so we have no problem figuring out what to do.

We do love Transatlantics.  This will be our eleventh.     

Airelenaren

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 01:27:54 PM »
I've been to Copenhagen as a tourist in 2009, so  I don't know if it's still there, but there was a little Ripley's museum that looked interesting (sadly couldn't go in myself because I was at the end of  my budget when I found it).
Also, there are a lot of beautiful statues, buildings, and a fountain. So if you like to take pictures, walking around the inner city and along the harbor a bit should be worth it. If you go at the right time, you may even get to see the guasrds exchange at the palace.