News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 08, 2016, 09:14:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thailand, Singapore and Dubai Adventure!  (Read 223 times)

lovestoread

Thailand, Singapore and Dubai Adventure!
« on: January 26, 2016, 07:29:43 AM »
Was looking for any travel tips that anyone may have for these places?  Our plan is to fly to Bangkok, and then travel to Phuket and backpack around a bit for just over a week.  We'll then fly to Singapore for a few nights, and then onto Dubai for two nights (visiting some friends who stay there!)

Any advice gratefully received!  We have a few things planned, like visiting an elephant reserve in Phuket, and having breakfast with the orangutangs in Singapore zoo, but hoping we're not going to miss any 'must-see's'.  My DF has been before, about six or seven years ago, but there was a lot he didn't see, as he was visiting people who were staying there for almost two years, so they weren't as in a hurry to see the sights as he was!

I'm just so excited, i've never been an adventure type holiday like this.  i'm even excited about getting a backpack and planning what to pack in it!! 

My first real blog!!  (all comments appreciate

Zizi-K

Re: Thailand, Singapore and Dubai Adventure!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 08:37:50 AM »
That sounds like such an amazing adventure! I have only been to Dubai, out of the places on your itinerary, so I only have recommendations for there.

Gold Souk - amazing!

Lunch or dinner at the top of the Burj Khalifa (they had a special that was something like $50/pp for a prix fixe lunch, that was the cheapest way to get to the top of the world's tallest building). The dancing fountains outside of the Burj Khalifa are even bigger and more amazing than the Bellagio in Las Vegas.

If you're really into drinking/eating, I heard from a British expat I met there that they have these crazy weekend brunches, all you can eat and drink for hours, in the $100+ range.

The restaurants are truly amazing, you sort of can't go wrong.

If you a motorsports person, I can highly recommend the dirtbike tours - they'll do a half or full day, set you up with full riding gear and a dirtbike specially equipped for the sand, and take you on a guided tour through the sand dunes, where you will see camels and gazelles.

the mall! I'm not much of a shopper myself, but it is amazing to see the mix of people, the luxury brands, and the strict enforcement of the no-PDA rule (not even hand-holding). It is worth doing a bit of reading up on cultural expectations, as you can get thrown in jail for public displays of affection or public drunkenness.

There is only one mosque that a non-Muslim can enter, and they do offer tours/brief lectures which is worth going to if you are curious about that.

Take the metro someplace! It's not always the most convenient option, but it is literally the most clean form of public transportation you will ever see.

I'm sure there's a million things more to do, have fun!

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 10:02:45 AM »
Let me suggest that you try the forums of the Lonely Planet guidebook company. The Thailand section is full of people who live there or frequently travel there, and have a lot of backpacker-type experience. Singapore is covered in the section called South-East Asia Islands & Peninsula. You can ask about everything from visas to snorkeling to hiking to good guesthouses.

Be aware that some people have strong feelings--pro and con--about elephants & tourism in Thailand.

Try the Bangkok section of Chowhound for food ideas in that city.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

sammycat

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 07:47:14 PM »
If you like theme parks, I can definitely recommend Universal Studios Singapore.

Unlike its counterpart in Hollywood, it's not a working studio, so you won't see any film/TV production stuff. But as a straight out theme park I absolutely loved it; way more so than US in Hollywood.