Author Topic: Prague  (Read 78 times)

heartmug

Prague
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:12:55 PM »
I will be going there for the first time this fall.  I have never been to Europe (we are going to a few other places, like Vienna, but most of our time will be spent in Prague).  Tell me anything you know about it.  Where to eat, what to do, what souvenirs to buy, etc.  Also, is it a safe place to walk around?  Can you drink the water from the tap?  Good hotel to stay in?

Thanks!
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

magicdomino

Re: Prague
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 05:34:22 PM »
It's been a few years since I was in Prague, so I can't give too many specifics; perhaps someone here has been there since 2006. I loved it though.  As a single female traveling alone, I never felt nervous in the main tourist areas -- mind you, I wasn't out very late, either. 

This website was useful:  http://www.livingprague.com/  If I remember correctly, the site author hated the hotel that I stayed at.  Yes, it was a rather anonymous place hidden down an alley with small rooms.  But it was a great price for a place just off Wescelus Square.  I can't remember the name though.

I think this is the company that I used for walking tours:  http://praguewalks.com/en/Walks   I took a general tour of Prague that included a boat ride, and a ghost walk.  I recommend ghost walks even if you aren't a believer.  It's a great way to tour the historical area of a city at night, especially if you don't want to wander around alone.

Kukla

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 05:58:50 PM »
It's been a long time since I've been to Prague, it is a beautiful city, and my friend and I both felt safe walking around there both during the day and night.  (We're females)
My friend found this http://www.mozart.cz/don-giovanni.php an we went to see it, and it was amazing.  I'm not that big into opera, but it was done so masterfully that it carried you away.

magicdomino

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 06:07:51 PM »
Souvenirs:  The Czech Republic produces garnet jewelry, so if you like dark red stones, look for that.  Also glassware.  For co-workers and the like, there are these crisp wafflely cookies, kind of like a cross between pizzelles and sugar wafers.   Since you've never been to Europe before, I should mention something called the VAT -- Value Added Tax, I think.  If you buy expensive stuff like garnet jewelry, the store should give you a form.  Save it and your receipt, then when you leave the country, you can apply to get the VAT refunded.  Since the VAT is something like 15 or 20 percent, it adds up.

Snooks

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 02:44:29 PM »
I went in 2005 so not a huge amount of use but my main memories of Prague are climbing towers so make sure you wear comfy shoes!  We did a walking tour, I think they're all much the same.  One thing to bear in mind is that you have to validate your ticket to travel, I saw people getting fined at the top of the funicular railway for not doing that, it must be an easy spot to catch tourists.