Author Topic: Montreal to Ottawa - Greyhound?  (Read 168 times)

Cali.in.UK

Montreal to Ottawa - Greyhound?
« on: October 20, 2014, 05:35:18 AM »
I'm starting a new post because I didn't want to necropost (sp?) on my old one. In the last thread I was recommended either VIA (prettier and pricier) or the greyhound to travel from Montreal to Ottawa.

I just wanted to see the reputation that greyhound had in Canada because where I live it's pretty unpleasant and sometimes scary to take the greyhound and some of the stations are not in great neighborhoods. I'm sure I'm just over-worrying because that's what I do right before a trip. But anyway, if anyone had taken this route or has information about it, let me know.

Cali.in.UK

Re: Montreal to Ottawa - Greyhound?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 05:43:23 AM »
Follow up question _ I have my UK student id, and my student visa, will that be sufficient for the student discount on greyhound? (anyone have experience with that?)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 09:04:10 AM »
I think you should be fine Montreal to Ottawa on Greyhound.  I can't help you with the student ID thing since it's been a loooong time since I've taken the Greyhound.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 09:08:35 AM »
I don't know about your ID, but taking the greyhound from Montreal to Ottawa should be fine. The stations aren't always in great neighbourhoods, true, but stations in large cities are well-lit and have good security. Most times they are in the same building as the train station, and they will have a food court and other things available.

The buses themselves are OK. They are comfortable and quiet and most people are very nice. I've never had a problem. I do recall someone telling a driver she was bothered by a drunk, and he told her to tell him right away next time (she was telling him at the end of the trip after the drunk had left) as they can kick the person off the bus or call the police if there is a serious issue.

Some very small stations that are fine during the day close at night, leaving you stuck standing in dark alleys. :( If you are stopping at a small town by yourself late at night and don't know what the station is like, get the number of the local cab service and have a car meet you there. Doesn't sound like that is going to be a problem on this trip, though. :)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

ArtsyCat

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 07:35:20 PM »
The trip from  to Ottawa from Montreal is not very long (by Canadian standards! We tend to measure distance for trips in TIME  rather than kilometres or miles) only about two hours so you should be fine and will see some lovely scenery, whether you are on the bus or the train. I lived in Ottawa for fifteen years and it is a beautiful city. Enjoy your visit!