News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• February 28, 2015, 06:28:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clothing for SE Asia?  (Read 294 times)

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
Clothing for SE Asia?
« on: January 11, 2015, 12:03:15 PM »
I don't know why I didn't think to ask this here before!  I have googled and asked elsewhere and have come up with amazingly conflicting answers.

Mr_Deb and I are going on a 2-week cruise in SE Asia at the end of February.  Singapore, Brunei, Vietnam, Thailand.  I'm a fairly experienced world traveler, but haven't been to this region, and although I lived in Japan when I was a tween, that was a long time ago.

I don't want us to stand out, or be pegged as Americans, because of our clothing.  As far as I can tell, clothing should be nice, and modest - knees and shoulders covered - and I can swing that, with longer length skirts and making sure I have a shrug or pashmina with me if my top is sleeveless.  But what about Mr_Deb?  Does he have to wear long trousers at all times, or can he get away with longer shorts?  Rumour has it it's going to be 90's and very high humidity.  And what about shoes?  I read that feet are considered unclean in some countries - do I have to wear closed shoes, or can I get away with sandals?

Any advice on how to dress in these particular countries would be so much appreciated.  I can give any additional details if needed.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

Re: Clothing for SE Asia?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 12:36:11 PM »
i don't know about Brunei or Vietnam, but I can tell you that shorts and sandals are fine in Singapore and Thailand, especially in the more touristy areas.  I do think in general a lot of men are more dressed up than Americans in those countries - long pants and polo shirts are more common than shorts and T-shirts.  I would recommend that your husband bring a couple of long pants in more comfortable fabric, like linen, so that if you are going somewhere nicer, he can wear those. 

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 12:40:38 PM »
Thank you so much for your response.  He says he's good with packing mostly dockers and polos.  I got a few awesome maxi skirts at the Wal*Mart and packed some different coloured sarongs.  We leave Thursday!  Can't wait!

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:11:24 PM »
What you a wearing sounds perfect. It is very hot and humid so stick with cotton or natural fibers. I usually wear a long tunic over 3/4 leggings or 3/4 shorts. DH just wore knee length shorts. We both wore sandals.

Some temples wont allow you in showing shoulders and knees, so I took a sarong each in my bag just to make sure (DH just wrapped it on over his shorts - pretty common there.

Watch your bag in Thailand, it can be a bit shifty - especially in the market places.