News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 06, 2016, 08:11:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Orleans and the Lower Mississipi in early March.  (Read 155 times)

Thipu1

New Orleans and the Lower Mississipi in early March.
« on: November 28, 2016, 10:50:00 AM »
We'll be taking an out and back river cruise from New Orleans at that time. We're doing the standard travel homework about things to see and places to eat but wonder if E-Hellions have off-beat suggestions about likely weather or places of interest.

In the past, we've gotten valuable advice about places such as Copenhagen and Amsterdam from the good folks here.  Any suggestions will be appreciated. 

Josiepug

Re: New Orleans and the Lower Mississipi in early March.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 01:33:15 PM »
First of all bring warm clothes. The air temp will probably be quite warm, but the Mississippi can be very cold. I went to college there and we had several river cruise dances and such and always had to wear warm weather clothes and carry a coat and scarves.

That being said my favorite thing to do when I'm there is to just walk around the French Quarter and ride the St. Charles street car. Loyola and Tulane have beautiful campuses you can explore and both are across the street from Audubon and the Zoo. I don't know if it's still there but I used to love going to the Zoo's Butterfly garden and hanging out.

If you have time the drive down Highway 1 to Grand Isle is gorgeous. You're right along the Mississippi and can see all the shrimp boats and Grand Isle itself is wonderful.

If you're looking for nature stop at one of the Jean Lafitte National Preserves. There are several down there.

I haven't gone down for more that a couple of days since I graduated and so much changed after Katrina but those things are definitely still there.

Twik

Re: New Orleans and the Lower Mississipi in early March.
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 04:05:23 PM »
I haven't been to New Orleans since Katrina, but while I was there, the swamp tour by airboat was amazing.

Be aware that New Orleans can be dangerous at night, and plan on take cabs, etc. rather than walking. The concierge at our hotel just outside the French Quarter was quite upset when I walked the two blocks down to Bourbon Street by myself.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."