News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 19, 2015, 12:38:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Going to Rio de Janeiro for a conference  (Read 159 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
Going to Rio de Janeiro for a conference
« on: March 29, 2015, 02:54:14 PM »
I just found out that I will be sent to a conference our organization is holding in Rio. During the conference i probably won't have time to sightsee (the conference is mostly lectures and workshops but will include an afternoon of local tours that i hopefully will be able to join one). I was able to take an extra day at the end so hopefully I won't be too tired for  a little running around. Our hotel is on the copacabana. I would like to hopefully see the sugar loaf and /or corcovado. ANy other must-sees? any tips for a middle aged woman traveling alone?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

HannahGrace

Re: Going to Rio de Janeiro for a conference
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 03:10:33 PM »
I'm so jealous!! I went to Rio for work and loved it. Take a walk along the beach and have some fresh coconut water. If you can ride the cable car at Sugar Loaf, do it. Amazing. I also enjoyed the soccer/football stadium but I am a sports person.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 03:18:56 PM »
I'm so jealous!! I went to Rio for work and loved it. Take a walk along the beach and have some fresh coconut water. If you can ride the cable car at Sugar Loaf, do it. Amazing. I also enjoyed the soccer/football stadium but I am a sports person.
LOL i work with mostly guys and they're all saying "you have to go to the macarana" and i'm like "give me museums! ancient buildings! beach!"

Thanks for the tip on sugar loaf - i really hope i get to it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

HannahGrace

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:50:04 AM »
It's very cool.  My one afternoon free when I was there, it was pretty foggy but I rode up anyway and it was worth it.  Breathtaking.  But, yeah, since I was only free for an afternoon, I don't have other specific recommendations - they gave me the use of a cab for the day and the guys I was working with made suggestions to the cab driver of places to take me, most of which were drive-bys.  I did go inside one beautiful church but for the life of me, I cannot recall the name.

Zizi-K

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 09:03:49 AM »
I would just add that the lines for the major attractions can get really, really long. Like hours long. So, check with your hotel concierge (or online) to see if there's a way to make advance reservations. We weren't able to ride the cable car because of the lines, and only got in to the Corcovado because we paid extra to skip part of the queue.