Author Topic: Kim Kardashian disinvites 50 wedding guests  (Read 12102 times)

djinnidjream

Re: Kim Kardashian disinvites 50 wedding guests
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 07:42:02 AM »
I was always under the impression that you get one BWW- for your FIRST marriage.  To me- to have this kind of second wedding is rude (maybe that's me, and my opinion, but it's how I feel).  If it is not considered rude to have a big gift grabby wedding for a second marriage, then I stand corrected.
Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011, 07:43:31 AM »
I've got mixed feelings on this.  There had to be a wedding coordinator/planner on a wedding of this size/price and I would put the blame on them, the venue size and guest list are the most important things.

On the other hand if it was a production issue (cameras and crew took up too much space) then I would put the blame on her for putting the money making side over the guests and the ceremony.

Here is the real question, does this actually fall under wedding etiquette or performance?  Is this any different from a concert where they have to refund some tickets when the stage ends up requiring moving a section of seating?  This wasn't really close friends and family coming to watch them profess their love, it was more of a performance with celebrity "guests"

What makes me sad is that actual family (or step-family) was booted to make room for celebrity guests.
The status is not quo!

StressedGroom

• Mr. Goblue2539
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 09:21:16 AM »
I've got mixed feelings on this.  There had to be a wedding coordinator/planner on a wedding of this size/price and I would put the blame on them, the venue size and guest list are the most important things.

On the other hand if it was a production issue (cameras and crew took up too much space) then I would put the blame on her for putting the money making side over the guests and the ceremony.

Here is the real question, does this actually fall under wedding etiquette or performance?  Is this any different from a concert where they have to refund some tickets when the stage ends up requiring moving a section of seating?  This wasn't really close friends and family coming to watch them profess their love, it was more of a performance with celebrity "guests"

What makes me sad is that actual family (or step-family) was booted to make room for celebrity guests.

That is what makes me lean towards the second the third items, those were people who wouldn't hurt the status of the event by not being there.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 09:35:28 AM »

According to my morning paper guests were complaining about nearly being flattened by camera crews, so I'm guessing it was the second one.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

MaggieB

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 09:57:56 AM »
Well, it's the groom's first wedding.  And Kim eloped the first time around, so it's not like she's soaking her guests for presents a second time.  So I don't really find them having a BWW tacky in and of itself.  There are tacky elements to this wedding for sure, but I don't mind that they had a big wedding.

The family wedding vs. TV performance question is interesting.  I have no idea what her contracts with E are like, but I doubt cutting down on cameras/crews was an option.  Also, I'm wondering how accurate the reports are that she had to actually uninvite people.  I've heard a few reports of people receiving last minute invitations. (Which is its own thread, I know.)  So I don't know what's true.  It'll be interesting to see the Kardashians address these things in the coming weeks.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 02:29:22 PM »
I was always under the impression that you get one BWW- for your FIRST marriage.  To me- to have this kind of second wedding is rude (maybe that's me, and my opinion, but it's how I feel).  If it is not considered rude to have a big gift grabby wedding for a second marriage, then I stand corrected.

What if it's the first marriage for one of them?  I'm sure that person and their family would like to experience the BWW too.

edited to make a sentense less weird.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:31:52 PM by rose red »

lollylegs

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2011, 08:33:14 AM »

I think the BWW is fine in and of itself - people can get married however they want, if they can afford it. But gift grabiness seems, to me, tackier when it's the second time around.

LaciGirl007

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2011, 07:22:18 AM »

I am shocked, shocked at the suggestion that this wedding was "for television" and not "for real."  My goodness, doesn't EVERY wedding sell the photo rights to one publication, and the video rights to another?  Doesn't EVERY wedding have such an embargo on images that the poor, information-hungry public must turn to the website where the bride has, for a price, agreed to have her sex video posted?  Doesn't EVERY wedding involve a $20,000 custom-made wedding gown which the bride got for free in exchange for the publicity?  Doesn't EVERY wedding instruct the extras -- oops, I mean the "guests" -- to wear only black and white so that they'll create an appropriate visual backdrop?

I could go on, but I feel a little ill now....

LaciGirl007

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2011, 07:25:13 AM »
I think the "are the Kardashians rude?" ship has sailed.

Long, long ago.

There are far too many examples to do justice to them here, but I'll focus on just two: putting your (general you, haha) sex tape online for money -- there's a very OLD word for that! -- and allowing yourself to be filmed relieving yourself on TV (on your -- again, general you! -- reality show).

MyFamily

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2011, 02:58:06 PM »
I think the "are the Kardashians rude?" ship has sailed.

Long, long ago.

There are far too many examples to do justice to them here, but I'll focus on just two: putting your (general you, haha) sex tape online for money -- there's a very OLD word for that! -- and allowing yourself to be filmed relieving yourself on TV (on your -- again, general you! -- reality show).

eeewwwwww!!!!!  gross.  I don't own a tv and therefore have never watched them and don't really know who is who I just know they are all family and they think very highly of themselves, but that is just nasty, nasty, nasty.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

tiggnduff

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2011, 02:04:28 PM »
I think that the speculation re: for tv or not real is stemming from the fact that they actually MADE millions of dollars on this wedding. A large number of items (ie her 3 dresses, cake, photography etc were comped for publicity by the vendors as reported by a very reputable entertainment show).  Between selling the wedding photos to the highest bidder, the tv rights for the tv special and other items it's been reported that they made in the neighbourhood of 15 to 17 million dollars by getting married???

Wow did I get married the wrong way lol (sarcasm)

Rivaini

• Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.
    • Keto Kitchen
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2011, 02:16:15 PM »

I think the BWW is fine in and of itself - people can get married however they want, if they can afford it. But gift grabiness seems, to me, tackier when it's the second time around.

Why is a BWW automatically "gift grabby"?

We had a relatively expensive wedding and reception, but it had nothing to do with the expectation of gifts.
Err on the side of awesome.

NorCal

lollylegs

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2011, 08:16:26 PM »

Why is a BWW automatically "gift grabby"?

We had a relatively expensive wedding and reception, but it had nothing to do with the expectation of gifts.

I don't think that a BWW is gift grabby and I'm sorry if my post made it sound that way. Personally, I don't care if you have a BWW for your second, third or tenth wedding. But if it's your second, third or tenth and you're having a bridal shower, putting registry information in the invitation or making a gazillion dollars filming it, well that annoys me more than it would for a first wedding. That's what I meant.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2011, 10:40:56 AM »
I think any wedding where the HC mentions that they *made* money is tacky. It's bad enough if it's just gifts. Selling media rights indicates that you have gone sailing up Tacky River, and don't mean to ever come back.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2011, 07:01:43 PM »
I think any wedding where the HC mentions that they *made* money is tacky. It's bad enough if it's just gifts. Selling media rights indicates that you have gone sailing up Tacky River, and don't mean to ever come back.

I don't know - if I were a guest and media right shad been sold I might want to know ahead of time in order to avoid being part of the event.